Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#27651 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 9:56 PM
Has anybody ever had Brandi Broke and Benjamin Long be a thing? If so are they good together? She had a bunch of wants to meet someone and flirt and stuff, however Angela interacted with her and she rerolled. She still wants to flirt though and Benjamin just so happens to be walking by...
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27652 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 1:22 AM
I'm using a custom lifespan and now all my sims are rolling fears of their partners dying even when the partner in question is a teen. I would assume that my teen couples would be more worried about breaking up, not "Death of Sim." My lifespan has sims reach adult on day 22. Is there any fix for this?

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Mad Poster
#27653 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 3:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that's vanilla. My sims roll fears of loved ones dying on the regular, regardless of age.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#27654 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 5:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I'm pretty sure that's vanilla. My sims roll fears of loved ones dying on the regular, regardless of age.
So do mine, even though no Sim has died in my game ever! I always feel it's a shame to see teenagers worrying that their boyfriends/girlfriends could die. On the other hand the fear is so unlikely to be fulfilled that I don't worry about them taking a big aspiration hit. My teens generally have a fear of breaking up too.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#27655 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 4:20 PM
My sims also roll the fear of friends/partners/relatives dying regardless of age. I just interpret it as a sim caring about another sim that much that they wouldn't want them to die. I like that detail ^_^ Same for break ups

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
#27656 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 8:00 PM
Yes, that's vanilla behavior that wfsanity fixes.
Forum Resident
#27657 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 8:49 PM
Does anyone know what mods actually break scripted events in pre-made neighbourhoods?
Scholar
#27658 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 4:55 AM
Was it Sims 1 or 2 that gave you unique romantic interactions if two sims were drinking at a bar?

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#27659 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 2:01 PM
Sims 1. Sims 2 mimics some of the animations but they're automatic and done even if no one else is at the bar at all, and no one responds to them.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#27660 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Yes, that's vanilla behavior that wfsanity fixes.

I have wfsanity and this only started after changing the lifespan.

Mad Poster
#27661 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 6:25 PM
Only started happening, or only started noticing? This is a question we must never not ask ourselves.

However, another thing to remember about this game is that much of it is randomized. We want to see patterns because it gives us a sense of control, and also we see patterns because our brains are very sophisticated pattern finders (whether the pattern exists in objective fact or not). This is in fact one of the reasons some of us enjoy our game so much - the randomization throws in events that we find surprising, but which our patternfinding brains are still able to make story and character sense of, and this makes the game endlessly interesting for us. But just because I can interpret a combination of directed play, random behavior, and numerous stereotyped but complex animations into an epic love story does not mean that my sims are, in fact, falling in love and fighting the odds.

It is perfectly within the parameters of the way randomizers behave for you to get a long statistical cluster of not having fears of "$Subject dies" for subjects that aren't in the elder stage, and then get a cluster of those fears affecting all ages coinciding with your installation of the age mod, without the age mod having anything to do with the production of either cluster. Now that you know that fears of non-elders dying are a normal part of the game, do yourself a favor and stop fretting about it. Think instead about the possibilities created by this behavior in the game.

It is, after all, only right for people to be absolutely devastated by the death of someone 'too young to die,' especially someone important to them like a best friend, spouse, or family member. This is why I often notice and lock fears of the deaths of individuals which should have a significant affect on the person with a fear. These fears are seldom realized - but if they do, I want them to count! I want family members in aspiration failure and making bad decisions; I want the sole family member who didn't have the fear to take on too great a share of responsibility for everyone else, gradually wearing away at their own aspiration level and narrowing their life choices; I want children growing to teen in the shadow of death choosing aspirations and careers based on the family tragedy. I don't want a whole neighborhood of this, but it makes an interesting change.

I got hours of intriguing gameplay out of the death by fire of Spring Thyme on the eve of shipping off to college - a mean and angry ghost, a single father who managed to pull himself together for the sake of his surviving daughters but fell apart completely left on his own, a teen neighbor who kept dropping in on him after work and obviously keeping an eye on him, a surviving boyfriend with a long dramatic storyline about the five stages of grief (when a teen dies, and all their friends who go to university keep wishing their dead friend would come to university, that's not a glitch either; that's a heart-rending truth right there), and ultimately - when I got a good story reason and opportunity to do it - resurrecting Spring, suddenly skilless and at the beginning of the teen stage, gone from oldest sibling on the verge of college to a teen-ager with three married big sisters, and from a girl planning to live with and get engaged to her high school sweetheart and living the perfect college life waking up to find her high school sweetheart approaching middle age and married to a complete stranger, with a kid. None of that would have been possible without the massive aspiration-point drop of "relative dying" and "Spring dying" fears being realized and kicking the whole thing off.

You may also choose to consciously manipulate this feature. In my Depression Riverblossom, jobs are scarce and I have rules about who can get what jobs, under what circumstances, and how high and fast they can rise It is rare for women to have career-path jobs at all, and the only married woman with one is a lesbian, and therefore not married at all in the eyes of mainstream society. Mary Gavigan has been living reasonably comfortably and raising three children on Nathan's income in the law enforcement career. She has a locked fear of Nathan dying. So - Isaiah is almost ready to grow up and has never held a job; he is dating the daughter of the town's only lawyer; he has an easy life and a promising future. So - what if I decide to fill Mary's fear? It's easy to find an excuse to kill Nathan and Rodney's Death Creator makes it equally easy to kill him. Mary goes into aspiration failure and I stop controlling her for a set period of time. Isaiah has to take responsibility for her, his two younger sisters, and the household income. It's unthinkable for him to go to college in these circumstances. How long can their modest savings last? What kind of job could he get? Can he work for another playable at an owned business? What career path jobs would he be eligible for? What does he do if none of them turn up in the paper? Will they be able to pay bills? Will the girls be neglected and taken away while he's at work? When Mary finally rallies, what are her options for moving on? And how angry is Nathan's ghost?

I don't say I'll do all this - but one little locked fear is all it takes to open up hours of gameplay drama.

Mad Poster
#27662 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LyokoGirl5000
I have wfsanity and this only started after changing the lifespan.

Have a majority of sims in your neighborhood died of unnatural causes? That's the only reason that would happen if you have wfsanity installed.
Field Researcher
#27663 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Have a majority of sims in your neighborhood died of unnatural causes? That's the only reason that would happen if you have wfsanity installed.

No, everyone has died of old age so far. I'm wondering if maybe using agecorrect to convert from my old lifespan to my much longer new lifespan has caused some bugs.

Forum Resident
#27664 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 8:53 PM
Is there a way to put telescopes on a community lot? I mean, any mod?
Mad Poster
#27665 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims

You don't need a mod. Use the changeLotZoning cheat: change it to a residential lot, add the telescopes, change it back to a community lot.

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27666 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims

There is also a mod. http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...2_MiscHacks.htm

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
#27667 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
You don't need a mod. Use the changeLotZoning cheat: change it to a residential lot, add the telescopes, change it back to a community lot.

I can't remember which conversion to which, either com>res>com or res>com>res but one glitches and one needs a buyable something or other, otherwise when your sim moves in or visits it goes straight to build mode. I have buyable payphones and mailboxes and trashcans just to cover all my bases in that instance because it's not fun getting it

I ended up also getting the telescope on community lot mod.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#27668 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 12:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
I can't remember which conversion to which, either com>res>com or res>com>res but one glitches and one needs a buyable something or other, otherwise when your sim moves in or visits it goes straight to build mode. I have buyable payphones and mailboxes and trashcans just to cover all my bases in that instance because it's not fun getting it.

Really? Huh! I never found that... I must not have hit the right wrong combination. Welp. That's my new thing to learn for today Thanks!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Link Ninja
#27669 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 1:06 AM
The last instance I had was a community lot parking lot set for a story but I needed to get a car to show up for a photoshoot, so I changed it to residential and then I don't remember if I tried changing it back to community to have a sim visit or I moved a sim in when it was residential but it went straight to build mode in whichever scenario I did.

Mad Poster
#27670 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 2:33 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Jul 2021 at 3:44 AM.
I can't remember which conversion to which, either com>res>com or res>com>res but one glitches and one needs a buyable something or other, otherwise when your sim moves in or visits it goes straight to build mode. I have buyable payphones and mailboxes and trashcans just to cover all my bases in that instance because it's not fun getting it

You'll get issues if you try to move sims into a rezoned "com -> res" lot that lacks a mailbox and trashcan ("Com -> res -> apt" lots without a mailbox and trashcan will also cause problems). Lot going straight to buy/build mode and live mode becoming inaccessible tends to happen.

Not too sure about the payphone and trashcan on community lots, but probably a good idea to put those in, too.

I'm fairly sure you'll also get issues if you use any of the zoning cheats on any type of lot while a sim is living or otherwise present on, owning, and/or visiting the lot. The lot should be unoccupied and not currently accessed by sims.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27671 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 3:22 AM
The last instance I had was a community lot parking lot set for a story but I needed to get a car to show up for a photoshoot, so I changed it to residential and then I don't remember if I tried changing it back to community to have a sim visit or I moved a sim in when it was residential but it went straight to build mode in whichever scenario I did.

It's perfectly safe to change zoning - when done so correctly.

Don't change the zoning of lots with sims on them -I assume urns and graves also makes them occupied.
Don't change zoning on owned community lots -sell back first. Vacation lots I don't know about but safest would be to sell back first.
When you change a community or hotel lot to residential (unless you are simply swapping it for a minute while building to grab something) always place down a buyable letterbox, preferably the one by Sophi-David.
When changing res to comm always place the com phone. I also always place the appropriate rubbish bins. Someone years ago mentioned they may be connected to the lot edges but I have no idea if that is true or one of those sims 2 myths. But it doesn't hurt anything so I do.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#27672 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 7:24 AM
I think the payphone is required to be placed on a community lot if you're expecting (or the game surprises you with) a witch Sim to land soon.

The payphone may also be required for community and hotel lots on vacation destinations - the tour guide appears to be fixated standing next to the payphone only.

But if you're playing a non-magical world/have broom flying modded out, I think it's completely fine to have no payphones and no trash bins on the street. I made a themed world and the only thing community lots have there is a pedestrian portal and they work just fine.
Link Ninja
#27673 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 8:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
When you change a community or hotel lot to residential (unless you are simply swapping it for a minute while building to grab something) always place down a buyable letterbox, preferably the one by Sophi-David.
When changing res to comm always place the com phone. I also always place the appropriate rubbish bins. Someone years ago mentioned they may be connected to the lot edges but I have no idea if that is true or one of those sims 2 myths. But it doesn't hurt anything so I do.

Yeah, i didn't think it caused corruption or is unsafe for the game to change zoning (unless like you mentioned, sims are already living on the lot), just recalling an annoyance/issue in building without a buyable catalog item. In this case, the buyable mailbox - now I remember the scenario *was* building on a community lot and changing to residential. Because IIRC whenever I built res>com, the game always took care of changing the mailbox to the phone after putting in the cheat for community zoning and saving. You would think it would do the same vice versa, so not everyone knows you have to get the buyable mailbox to avoid the issue of moving a sim into the lot after it was changed from com>res and then live mode isn't available.

So the original question of putting a telescope on community lot would be avoiding that scenario annoyance, doing it the res>com changed zoning scenario.

Glad that got cleared up.

Forum Resident
#27674 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 2:25 PM
The truth is that it is for a custom neighborhood. So, I avoid any conversion just in case, I only convert residential into apartments. My question now that I have downloaded the mod and placed the telescopes in community lots is: Whoever downloads the neighborhood will have those telescopes even if they do not have the mod? Is that telescope linked to the real one and therefore it will appear?

In case that does not work, then the solution would be to do it as @ joandsarah77 said
Mad Poster
#27675 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 4:05 PM
If you upload the neighborhood/community lots, you can let downloaders know that they may need the mod for the telescopes to work.

You can also playtest without the mod to see if it works. Then you can tell downloaders a definite yes/no on whether the mod is needed.

I'd assume the mod is a slight OBJD change that makes them show up on community lots. If the items have been placed there via (comm->)res->comm, they usually show up fine, so in the case of an OBJD change, as long as the item has the original GUID it should still show even if the mod isn't there. Some items from Comm<->Res placement may not be properly usable or have functions missing, but that depends on the items and what type of lot. If the object is deleted, it won't be easily replaceable, though. Probably an idea to link to the mod just in case
Page 1107 of 1338