Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 9:19 AM
Problems with the "Start to Finish Object Creation for Beginners" tutorial, broken links and add-ons not working.
I am just now getting into creating objects for TS3. Unfortunately, I am already running into problems with the tools needed and setup instructions:
  • I cannot install the add-on io_TS3_tools.py to Blender, because the checkbox to enable the add-on cannot be checked. Someone else has asked this question before and got pointed to a thread on the Simlogical forums, but since that forum doesn't seem to exist anymore, the answer has vanished. How do I fix this? I've downloaded Blender 2.63 and I'm using Windows 10.
  • The link to the .blend rar file at jaue.com/om/tutorialsetup.rar does not work, and I cannot find an alternate location.
Thank you!
Advertisement
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 12:02 PM
Hi there,
I followed this tutorial almost year ago, so my memory is a bit hazy but i remember also having some trouble with the plugins on certain versions of Blender. The one that seemed to work best was 1.67, so try that.
The .blend file is just for tutorial purposes to get you started on the mesh, I believe, so you actually don't need it to follow the tutorial or make objects. I think the png it contained was just the polka dot image used for uv mapping, but you don't really need this. It's a lot easier to uv map in Blender, if you want to watch some tutorials for that, there are loads on youtube.

One thing to note actually is that this is an older way of making objects for sims 3. If you have MilkShape, you might want to use TSRW instead, as it seems to be the easier way. The reason I tried it this way is because I didn't want to buy milkshape, and with this tutorial you can use these Blender Tools instead of milkshape to assign the bones, though they can be a bit temperamental.

But if you're doing it this way and need any help, I'll do my best to advise
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
Hi there,
I followed this tutorial almost year ago, so my memory is a bit hazy but i remember also having some trouble with the plugins on certain versions of Blender. The one that seemed to work best was 1.67, so try that.
The .blend file is just for tutorial purposes to get you started on the mesh, I believe, so you actually don't need it to follow the tutorial or make objects. I think the png it contained was just the polka dot image used for uv mapping, but you don't really need this. It's a lot easier to uv map in Blender, if you want to watch some tutorials for that, there are loads on youtube.

One thing to note actually is that this is an older way of making objects for sims 3. If you have MilkShape, you might want to use TSRW instead, as it seems to be the easier way. The reason I tried it this way is because I didn't want to buy milkshape, and with this tutorial you can use these Blender Tools instead of milkshape to assign the bones, though they can be a bit temperamental.

But if you're doing it this way and need any help, I'll do my best to advise

Thank you for your help! I assumed that you meant 2.67 since there was no 1.67, so I installed that and now they both work. Installing the MLOD/MODL tools came with a message that said that it was written for 2.70, so if they don't work for whatever they're designed to do I'll try that one next. If I have any further questions, I'll post them here so that everyone can see them.
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 12:58 PM
Oops I'm so sorry, the version that works for me is actually 2.71, I've no idea where I got 2.67 from let alone 1.67!