Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 11:34 AM
How long should the seasons be? What are the rules about seasons?
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 3:12 AM
She doesn't really have a rule for the length of the seasons. If you hate the winter season, you can probably just eliminate that. I have my seasons set to normal w/a homemade greenhouse for during the winter and early spring. Then I move the plants outside during the late spring and summer. It's totally up to you.
Instructor
#53 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 1:12 AM
I do have one more question though about the nectar making. Unless we are allowed to make 1 trip to Champ Les Sim to buy the machines and racks, we will have to use buy debug. I'm open to either way. Right now, my family has almost a mil so they don't need the money from doing adventures, lol Most of the money came from the red berry beans and some mushrooms and honey/bees wax.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#54 Old 10th Sep 2019 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sonshine
I do have one more question though about the nectar making. Unless we are allowed to make 1 trip to Champ Les Sim to buy the machines and racks, we will have to use buy debug. I'm open to either way. Right now, my family has almost a mil so they don't need the money from doing adventures, lol Most of the money came from the red berry beans and some mushrooms and honey/bees wax.

You are allowed to leave on trips, if you have the money!

As for seasons, please leave them on if you can.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 13th Sep 2019 at 5:47 AM
I've got seasons all turned on and use NRaas Tempest to edit weather patterns to make it easier or more challenging to manage the farming and it will be the same in Logan when I start there with this challenge and no others merged in like the apocalypse challenge in Salisbury Beach,Mass in the 16th century.
Test Subject
#56 Old 14th Sep 2019 at 8:35 PM
I have a question about a few of the rules listed in the first post.

Quote:
-You can ONLY make money by farming, no professions or real job (gardening career is fine). Sell all your produce and goods to the consignment shop or supermarket, no dragging and dropping from your inventory. Nectar, crops, eggs, beeswax, honey, anything you make on your farm is free game. No painting, sculpting, inventing, those sorts of things. You have too many chores to depend on that nonsense. Horse competitions are also fine.
-You MUST use the Clothes Line in Spring and Summer, swapping to the dryer in cold months.
-You can go to University, but not on trips.

Do these apply to all generations, or just the first one?
Mad Poster
#57 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 8:43 PM
I only allow part time jobs for mine and a few other options like fishing,painting,scupting or writing to make money if they don't join gardening or homemaking.Unemployed is allowed as gardening is a seasonal thing.I also allow them to sell produce harvested from community gardens because they won't have their own the first year because they'll be too busy getting a house built before winter arrives.Inventing is fine for families living near the junkyard and the other things are fine for families in town who can't farm on tiny lots.Fishing is also fin in my game since some of them will live near a pool with fish in it and others will have to take part time jobs.
I've not gotten that far in SSV2 because it's only late spring in 1526 and there's only my first settlers living there and that's how it will be for another year or two at the very least.
Instructor
#58 Old 1st Oct 2019 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shanoaravendare
I have a question about a few of the rules listed in the first post.

Do these apply to all generations, or just the first one?

This applies to all generations. Plant lots of Red Berry Beans at first and you'll have money coming out your ears, lol It's also good to have a greenhouse although, that is an expansion so maybe the first generation can build that. The greenhouse will allow you to be able to garden year around.

Also what Tad said about harvesting community gardens and selling that produce is great! That's what I did in the beginning until she got her own garden going. As for jobs, you don't need jobs. As long as you have a basic house w/cheap furniture and fixtures and appliances, your bills will stay small. You should have enough money from harvesting by the time winter arrives. You can upgrade things and buy nicer things inside the house as you get money to do so. My family has so much money now that I'm able to choose a house for the non heir kids and move them out.
Instructor
#59 Old 1st Oct 2019 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EjjeIceGod
You are allowed to leave on trips, if you have the money!

As for seasons, please leave them on if you can.

Thanks! My next generation will be going into nectar making.
Test Subject
#60 Old 7th Jan 2020 at 5:59 PM Last edited by reannaleanne : 1st Mar 2020 at 4:22 AM.
My original idea, starting with a teen and her grandmother was starting to become tedious so I decided to try again with a young adult sim.

Her name is Adria Brantley. She was an aspiring filmmaker when she started attending college in Bridgeport but dropped out in the middle of her second year. Her parents disowned her once they heard, and she was no longer welcomed back home. She had little in the way of options or funds. Living in the city was becoming expensive and she wasn't sure how long she'd last before she became homeless. She decided that neither the city nor the suburbs would set her life straight and decided to buy land in a quaint country town called Appaloosa Plains. The land she'd bought possessed a Victorian-esq shack, cheaply furnished but she couldn't complain.

After a few years in -two weeks in sims time- she'd found a man, nerdy and bookish, but they got each other and she was enraptured. He was a scientist named Kenji Midden. It wasn't long before she fell pregnant and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Freya. But taking care of a baby and her farm was becoming harder and harder every day. Eventually, Kenji, who had barely seen his daughter, what with his own job as a Lab tech taking up most of his time, offered to move in and quit his job to help on the farm. Adria, apprehensive but grateful, agreed.

Freya was growing up quicker than they had imagined, as was the farmhouse. Taking care of a toddler was significantly easier but amidst that Adria realized she was also growing up. In her middle age, she realized she wanted more. Whether that be more money, more kids, or what have you, she couldn't tell, but maybe she would figure it out.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#61 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 5:02 AM
The years passed quickly and Adria and Kenji were doing well, as parents, partners, and farmers.

Not to mention, they'd managed to build themselves an amazing home to raise their family in, with the addition of Adria's mid-life crisis induced impulse buy, her dream car.

Speaking of family, Freya was growing up far quicker than they'd ever imagined. Of course that came with the occasional childish antics breaking out across the house but nothing they couldn't handle. And, as it turned out, their family was quickly expanding as well and they gave birth to another beautiful baby girl, Lyla.

With this, came the attention and critique of others around town, and it didn't help that both Adria and Kenji were practically celebrities among their small town. Word quickly got around that they'd produced not one, but two children out of wedlock, with Kenji taking the brunt of the criticism. So, as it seemed about time, he decided to propose at the place where they first met.

Needless to say, she said yes! Here's to many many years full of love!
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 15th Mar 2020 at 1:02 PM
I've been wanting to start this challenge ever since it was first posted but had too many saves to play to have the time. A couple of days ago I finally did add this to my rotation and have really been enjoying it!

A couple of questions though as I just restarted this in another world and might as well ask for clarification first this time around;

1. I took the part about the founder could do any expansion to mean you still are limited to only 2 for the founder and the 'any' part is just that you can pick whatever you like to start with. Is this correct? Or is it that the founder can add unlimited expansions as long as they can afford it and it's before the 2nd generation is born/grown up?

2. Is the mandatory veggie garden also considered one of the expansions? Meaning, if the founder can do only 2, is that including veggies or veggie garden + 2 more?
Instructor
#63 Old 30th Mar 2020 at 3:56 AM
I just happened to be browsing this thread tonight. I can't answer the first question, but I assumed that it was 2 expansion of any kind although there should be a master bedroom and a bedroom for the kids and then a garden of some kind. I don't know if I goofed or not, but I also had the founder build a greenhouse. Others have bought the planters and planted the garden in those during the winter. The kitchen, living, and dining area can all be one room. Personally, I started out w/a veggie garden b/c the red berry bean plants are a VERY good cash crop. My heir chose fruits and an expansion to the house for a second master bedroom and his son chose nectar making and a wine cellar. Good luck!
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 1st Apr 2020 at 10:20 AM
Thanks for your reply!

I counted the greenhouse as an expansion so my founder only had veggies and fruits outdoors and very few planters indoors over winter and her kids had the greenhouse and cows. I decided to separate plant categories even more so I count coffee beans as their own, mushrooms as their own , fruit as their own etc. Also stay away from special plants like money trees and life fruits entirely as they bring in too much money and I get bored when my sims become too rich too fast. That's also why I didn't go for beans or shrooms early but next time I think I'm also gonna separate the WA grapes and fruits from the rest as they were too profitable as well. Or maybe not include them at all. The family is already at the beginning of gen 3 a bit too well off for my liking so I may start this challenge over at some point and put even more restrictions in. Perhaps something to do with the size of a field and what can't and cannot be put into planters/greenhouse.
Instructor
#65 Old 2nd Apr 2020 at 9:21 PM
What you could do since you're required to nave 3 children is choose which one will be heir/heiress and then use some of the money to move the others to their own houses. That will reduce your family funds. You can grow the red berry beans as needed. One of my farmacy sims wants to go to egypt and I'll let him, but whatever he earns in the quests (no chests except for the quest chest), I'll remove w/family funds. That's what we do anyway when a spouse moves in is to remove the money they bring in. Oh and instead of planters, if you have ITF, you can place a garden rug, but it does take up a fair amount of space.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 10:24 AM
Yeah, there are many possible money sinks and as you say you can also use MC/cheats to adjust funds. Not too keen on that though. I want actual gameplay to be harder, artificial adjustments I don't find as fun. So stricter rules and limitations go better with my play style for this, I think. Perhaps adjust lifespan a bit and make it as short as possible still within the normal range. That might add a bit of a struggle.

Gonna take a little break from this to finish up some other challenges and take that time to ponder what changes to make. We'll see how it goes.
Page 3 of 3