Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#76 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hawdycool
hi there
i have two things i want to say:
firs of all the file every one is talking about ~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/ do not exist on my mac i tried so hard to find it but i couldn't .
second i downloaded so many packages from the mod sims close to 300 but only 2 got installed in the game throw the the sims2 package installer the rest simply coldest be recognised by the package installer.
now what I'm i suppose to do ? and what am i doing wrong ?
note :my mac is os x Yosemite version 10.10

Hi there. That library will definitely exist on your machine, as it's a requirement for apps sold in the Mac App Store to place their files there. It'll be in the same place on Mavericks or Yosemite. But it is hidden, so you probably just haven't managed to unhide it yet. Bear in mind that "~" isn't a real part of the file path; it's a shortcut way of saying "Users/<yourusername>".

Try following the instructions I gave in post 32 of this thread, and see if they help you to find it.

If the CC files you're trying to use are .package files, you'll need to place them directly in the Downloads folder at that location. The Package Installer only works on .Sims2Pack files.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 4:28 PM Last edited by toadstool333 : 6th Nov 2014 at 5:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by muridae
That's useful information, thanks. I'm still dabbling (cautiously) on a MacBook Air with integrated graphics, as my main machine is still on Lion and therefore not compatible with the Super Collection, so I've not hit the ulimit/maxfiles issue yet. I'll bear this in mind for when I upgrade, especially as I'm planning to jump to Yosemite rather than Mavericks.

I also found another good explanation of how to increase the file limits for Yosemite here:

http://yabfog.com/blog/2014/10/22/y...open-file-limit

(At a guess, ulimit might still need a bit of experimentation to find the best place to set it.)

You guess right! I created a sysctl.conf file in etc, and updated my bash_profile to run ulimit... but it doesn't work. I'm still getting the black background in body shop. So even though the system file limit is being overridden, it's just not working properly at all and it is very frustrating!! I will keep working on it, but please let me know if anyone else figures it out.

Update: it seems ulimit is only used for things running in the shell. Which doesn't help because the sysctl.conf file itself doesn't seem to be doing the trick. A possible thing to try is using the software Lingon to make the previous launchd.conf file into a XML file used on launch. D:

I will also contact Aspyr, since they are continuing support even though Maxis isn't. Maybe they can create a way to set the max file limit upon launching the game. If I can't play with the same content and hacks I could using Snow Leopard, that would just be sad.
Field Researcher
#78 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by toadstool333
Update: it seems ulimit is only used for things running in the shell. Which doesn't help because the sysctl.conf file itself doesn't seem to be doing the trick. A possible thing to try is using the software Lingon to make the previous launchd.conf file into a XML file used on launch. D:

The two maxfiles parameters are part of the unix kernel. It's likely that they're now being set correctly. You can check by typing "sysctl -A" in Terminal, which should give you a list of parameters set and their current values.

ulimit is a per-login deal though, so a lot more fiddly. The suggestions to add it to ~/.bash_profile will only fix it for the bash shell (and Terminal sessions). The next place to try would probably be ~/.profile, or something like that.
Test Subject
#79 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 11:57 PM
I did it yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so what ended up working was writing a couple XML plists to stick in your LaunchDaemon folder, along with a ulimit in your etc/bashrc. The instructions in this site, followed to a T, will make it work:
http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/o...limit/#Mac-OS-X

*Note: you must enable the root user and give those files permissions and ownership by root:wheel.

*Note 2: Upon loading the Sims, a big warning of "possible conflicts" pops up, but I guess ignore it?

*Note 3: For some reason, BodyShop does not actually accept these changes, and I still have a black background there and am unable to use it. Oh well?

:D
Test Subject
#80 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 4:23 PM
Hi could anyone help me install the CEP. My mac is running on Yosemite and i have been struggling to figure out where to place the files ( I already downloaded them)
Instructor
#81 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nmendes521
Hi could anyone help me install the CEP. My mac is running on Yosemite and i have been struggling to figure out where to place the files ( I already downloaded them)

The GMND file goes in /Username/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads

This is also the location where all your custom content package files go. You create the Downloads folder, being sure to use a capital D, if it is not there.

The MMAT file goes inside the application package file. Right click on the Sims 2 Super Collection.app file and choose "show package contents." From there the path is Contents/Home/TSData/Res/Sims3D.

Please read the earlier posts in this thread for instructions on being able to find the correct Library folder, as it is hidden by default, and I see no need to repeat those instructions here.
Test Subject
#82 Old 12th Dec 2014 at 4:38 PM

Okay so what ended up working was writing a couple XML plists to stick in your LaunchDaemon folder, along with a ulimit in your etc/bashrc. The instructions in this site, followed to a T, will make it work:

*Note: you must enable the root user and give those files permissions and ownership by root:wheel.

*Note 2: Upon loading the Sims, a big warning of "possible conflicts" pops up, but I guess ignore it?

*Note 3: For some reason, BodyShop does not actually accept these changes, and I still have a black background there and am unable to use it. Oh well?

Hi Toadstool
I am curious as to how your game is running and if this solution is working well for you. I want to be sure before toying with my system configs as I am a Mac noob.
Thanks!
Test Subject
#83 Old 16th Jan 2015 at 10:28 PM
Hi! I'm installing CEP into the super collection and I think I've got the base files properly installed, thanks to this thread. But I'd also like to install the extras, and I've run into a problem. The instructions that came with the CEP files say:

c) "Extra" folder:
Open it and you will find 2 subfolders, "MyDocuments" and "ProgramFiles".

c1) Open the "MyDocuments" folder and move the entire "zCEP-EXTRA" subfolder, along with the several files contained in it, in:
HOME (the icon with the little house) -> DOCUMENTS -> EA Games -> Sims 2
NOTE: *DO NOT* put the "zCEP-EXTRA" folder into the Downloads. It goes into the "Sims 2" root folder!
c2) Open the "ProgramFiles" folder and move the entire "zCEP-EXTRA" subfolder, along with the several files contained in it, in:
MAIN DRIVE -> THE SIMS 2 -> TSDATA -> RES -> CATALOG

I can't figure out where the "Program files" folder is supposed to go because I can't find TSDATA, RES or CATALOG.

Any ideas?
Instructor
#84 Old 17th Jan 2015 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimWiwi
I can't figure out where the "Program files" folder is supposed to go because I can't find TSDATA, RES or CATALOG.

Any ideas?

Then however did you manage to put the non-Extra CEP files in their proper locations? They are the same two locations, one of which is also the proper location for the Downloads folder. I suggest you try actually reading the bit over 3 pages of posts in this thread. It contains excellent instructions regarding the finding of both locations.
Test Subject
#85 Old 17th Jan 2015 at 5:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rhiamom
Then however did you manage to put the non-Extra CEP files in their proper locations? They are the same two locations, one of which is also the proper location for the Downloads folder. I suggest you try actually reading the bit over 3 pages of posts in this thread. It contains excellent instructions regarding the finding of both locations.

I did read the whole thread (several times actually) but I didn't find any discussion about where to put the extras, specifically the "program files." I'm not very computer savvy, so I was looking for really explicit instructions. But I suppose I'll figure it out if everyone else managed it...
Test Subject
#86 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 8:11 PM
Default Installing CEP in Sims2 Super Collection
I figured it out too, but it wasn't easy. at least I think so, haven't tested thoroughly

Complete instructions for installing CEP in Sims2 Super Collection Mac

a) _EnableColorOptionsGMND.package:
Place the file "_EnableColorOptionsGMND.package" into your Sims Downloads folder:
/Users/(YOURUSERNAME)/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads

b) _EnableColorOptionsMMAT.package:
Open the Applications folder, then RIGHT CLICK The Sims 2, and select "Show package contents"
Navigate then to Contents/Home/TSData/Res/Sims3D/
Place the file "_EnableColorOptionsMMAT.package" in that folder.

c) "Extra" folder:
Open it and you will find 2 subfolders, "MyDocuments" and "ProgramFiles".

c1) Open the "MyDocuments" folder and move the entire "zCEP-EXTRA" subfolder, along with the several files contained in it to:
Applications folder-->TheSims2-->"Show package contents"-->Contents/
c2) Open the "ProgramFiles" folder and move the entire "zCEP-EXTRA" subfolder, along with the several files contained in to:
Applications folder-->TheSims2-->"Show package contents"-->Contents/Home/TSData/Res/Sims3D/ CATALOG

Hope this helps other simmers!
Test Subject
#87 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 10:58 PM
I'm still confused i can't get to library by extracting the files through stuffit expander help
Test Subject
#88 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 11:12 PM
Hi,

I'm still really confused. I went to my library index according to the link provided: ~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/ and that showed up fine... BUT I'm not sure how to create the new Downloads folder once I'm there. I'm VERY new to having a Mac and am still floundering a bit when it comes to all the short cuts and things I was so comfortable with when I had a PC.

So: How do you make a Downloads folder in the Library?

I stumbled around in the game a bit and managed to find and enable CC (the option didn't show up when the game first loaded like it always did on my PC, I had to go looking for it in the game) and made sure to enable it. I've reloaded the game several times but nothing is showing up. I have a LOT of CC on my Mac (transferred over from my PC) in Sims 2 download folders in "Documents" in Finder, but I'm unsure how to access that CC in-game now. I assume I have move it over into the new "Downloads" folder I'm to create in the Library, but I can't figure out how to do that.

HELP!

P.S. What's the keyboard short cut for 'cut'? I can't seem to figure that out.
Test Subject
#89 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 11:18 PM
It looks like you might be in the wrong Library. Common mistake, it seems. You want the Library that is in your Username directory. It is hidden by default. You will not see it in the finder unless you are at least 2 or 3 versions of OS X behind. Make it visible by typing this into the terminal window: chflags nohidden ~/Library

The little arrows showing that the Desktop, Movies, Pictures, and Documents folders are links and not the actual folders is a big clue you are in the wrong place. The path you need is:

Username/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads

Edit: after some thought it looks to me like you might have more than one hard drive or partition, and have symlinks pointing to the actual location of these files. But your path still seems to be wrong. Can you verify what version of OS X you are using, and that you are using the Sims 2 Super Collection?

I'm using a Macbook Air purchased just a few weeks ago and I'm not sure what you mean by 'terminal window'? I have OSX and just downloaded the Sims 2 Super Collection. Can you help me enable my CC? I would very much appreciate step-by-step instructions... treat me like I'm 5, as that's how much help I seem to need! Haha...
Test Subject
#90 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 11:30 PM
There are several folders called Library on a Mac. The one you're probably seeing is the one you'd see when you click on Macintosh HD, which contains a lot of stuff that's universal to the system, rather than belonging specifically to you.

The one you actually want is the Library folder that lives within your user home directory. The "~" (tilde) is a shortcut way of saying that it's in your home directory (its actual location is /Users/yourloginname/Library). By default this is hidden, but you can unhide and/or get to it in various ways.

To permanently unhide it, follow rhiamom's instructions elsewhere in this thread. Run the Terminal application (it's under Utilities in your Application folder), then type "chflags nohidden ~/Library".

If you don't want to do that, then click on the Go menu in Finder. Press the alt/option key. Library will magically appear on the list. Click on it and you'll find the Containers folder and can work your way down from there.

Or you can click on the Go menu and select Go, then Go to Folder, and type "~/Library" in there. That'll get you to the same place.

Thank-you for explaining how to find/what is "Terminal"!! I was able to locate it and I pasted in "chflags nohidden ~/Library" (no quotes) but it doesn't seem to have done anything??? No Library in my Favourites menu in Finder still....

Also, I can't seem to locate this "Go" menu people keep talking about in Finder. Where is that located exactly?
Test Subject
#91 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 11:38 PM
For those who cannot find the Library folder: type the following into Terminal.
chflags nohidden ~/Library

And I thank you, I am off to check and see if the new location you specify works for me.

EDIT: Yes, it works. Can anybody verify if using subfolders will work?

I typed that into Terminal (applications > utilities > terminal) but it doesn't appear to "stay" there. As in when I close it and open it up again it's not showing up. Is that bad?
Test Subject
#92 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 9:04 PM
I can't seem to find the actual ~/library ect folder on my mac when I search for it. Does this happen to anyone else?
Test Subject
#93 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 10:17 PM
Default I know its been a while, maybe you can help
I got itchy and bought it. As a result of that I can confirm that it is possible to just drop custom content into a folder (see screenshot).

What you need to do, as well as enabling custom content in game as you've already done, is to go to ~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2 and create a new folder called "Downloads" inside it. The game will then find and load it.

I am to MTS, so maybe this is something that should be clear. I have downloaded Sims2Extras, and understand that for CC I need to create a download file to store it in. Where do I do that? A file called " ~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2 "? Do I just paste that into finder? If so, nothing comes up when I do. I have also gone to a folder called Library, but all that is in it is a folder called "Font Collections".

LOL, maybe I'm not meant to have CC, I feel so lost

PS: This may really be a dumb question but if this all works out for me, I will be able to get custom furniture and build options, correct? Not just Sims and plots?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Theorist
#94 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 10:35 PM
As explained at the top of this page, "~" is a shortcut way of saying "Users/[your username here]/" and then the rest of the path. Does that help?

If this works out, yes, you will be able to get custom furniture and build items too. (As long as they don't require an EP or SP that you do not have. Not everything made it over to Mac-land.)

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Test Subject
#95 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
As explained at the top of this page, "~" is a shortcut way of saying "Users/[your username here]/" and then the rest of the path. Does that help?

If this works out, yes, you will be able to get custom furniture and build items too. (As long as they don't require an EP or SP that you do not have. Not everything made it over to Mac-land.)

Thank you for your swift reply, it was helpful; I knew I was missing something and now it seems to be working. I'm so excited for CC!! :lovestruc
Test Subject
#96 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 4:20 PM

Is anyone else having the problem with too much CC? I am trying to do the steps above, but am a Mac newb.

Is there a more step-by-step of how to create the plist? When I right click, I don't get any option for new file in my launchdaemons folder. I can see other plists in the folder, but how do I make a new one??
Test Subject
#97 Old 18th Mar 2015 at 7:13 PM
Hi,

It's been a while since I used the Sims and installed custom content, I got the Super Collection for my Macbook Retina pro and I've set up the downloads folder and put the Aspyr Sims 2 folder in my finder sidebar so it's easy to get to.

I can't, however, for the life of me figure out how to extract stuff. Last time I had the Sims on windows and used WinRAR etc but I don't know what I need to download for Mac in order to unzip .Rar files etcetera. Can anyone give me a list of the unzipping programs that are appropriate to download for Mac?

Sorry, newb question ^.^
Theorist
#98 Old 18th Mar 2015 at 11:42 PM
@Fifiblatwopointo When I was on a Mac, I used The Unarchiver: http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html It's free and will extract not only .rar files, but also .zip, .7z, and anything else I encountered while downloading for TS2.

lattequeen, unfortunately I never figured that one out. I dealt with it by ruthlessly culling my cc instead. Sorry.

Test Subject
#99 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 3:19 AM
For those who cannot find the Library folder: type the following into Terminal.
chflags nohidden ~/Library

And I thank you, I am off to check and see if the new location you specify works for me.

EDIT: Yes, it works. Can anybody verify if using subfolders will work?

What is terminal? Can anybody help me do this on OS X yosemite?
Theorist
#100 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 11:45 AM
Terminal is a program within OSX that allows you to type in programming commands directly instead of using the usual point-and-click interface. I have very little experience of it, and what expereince I have is on Snow Leopard, but you might find this tutorial helpful: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conte...x-yosemite.html

Page 4 of 11