Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2015 at 6:55 PM Last edited by Alex_12_12_ : 22nd Jun 2015 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Fixes about Birthmother's wage
Default The Giver (Adapted for The Sims 3 from Lois Lowry's Book)
So as you may or may not have noticed, this challenge is based of the book by Lois Lowry called The Giver. I have kind of revised this for TS3, but I’m still working out the kinks. This is also kind of a legacy if you wish to continue past your beginning Sim.

Not to be annoying or predictable, but this is my first challenge, and I really want to know if I need to revise things. Please leave a comment if you don’t understand something and I’ll do the best I can to help you.

Now ON TO THE CHALLENGE!!!!

Edits are in bold

Back-story
You live in a town (Riverview if you have it, if not Sunset Valley will do) where you are assigned a job at age 18 (it's actually 12 but you can't get a 'real' job as a teen, so I changed it to 18). This is a ‘utopian’ society, where everything is perfect, and if it’s not, the council sees to it immediately. Everything is assigned to you, your job, your spouse, your children, and even your bike! But you don't mind. You don't know any different. You love your community, and can't wait for your life to begin.

Create-A-Sim
You have two options, to create the characters from The Giver, or to create your own Sim.

Option One, The Giver characters

There are some optional characters here, but I recommend that you create them for the story’s sake.

Jonas- Teen
Traits
1. Good
2. Brave/Perceptive (I recommend perceptive)
3. Your choice

Looks
Blue eyes are the only requirement

Lily (Jonas’ sister)- Child
Traits
1. Friendly
2. Nurturing/Family Oriented
3. Your choice

Looks:
Your choice, but make her average looking.

Jonas’ Mom- Adult
Job- Business/Political (she's actually a lawyer or something like that but this is closest)
Traits
1. Workaholic
2. Nurturing/Family Oriented
3. Perfectionist
4. Your Choice

Jonas’ Dad- Adult
Job- Should be in the Hospital (if you have Generations go with daycare worker, that's the closest thing to a Nurturer)
Traits
1. Nurturing/Family Oriented (His job is a Nurturer)
2. Childish
3. Friendly
4. Your Choice

The Giver- Elder (DIFFERENT HOUSEHOLD)
Traits
1. Genius
2. Perceptive/Brave
3. Good
4. Your Choice

Looks
Blue eyes (They say light but they’re color blind)
Bearded, gray
Longish Gray hair

Gabriel- Toddler
(He’s kind of Optional, but I would make him so you get the looks and traits you want.)
Traits
Both are your choice, he isn’t really described very well in the book

Looks
Blue eyes

OPTIONAL SIMS (DIFFERENT HOUSEHOLDS)

Asher- Teen (Jonas’ Best Friend)
Traits
1. Childish
2. Athletic
3. Good Sense of Humor
4. Your Choice (I recommend loves the outdoors)

Fiona- Teenager (Possible Romantic Interest for Jonas according to movie)
Traits
1. Good
2. Friendly
3. Charismatic
4. Your Choice I suggest something else that good people have, she was really nice to old people)

Looks
RED HAIR!!! It specifically says in the book that she has RED HAIR!

Option Two, Your Own Sim
You can create ONE Sim. Make sure he/she doesn't have any of the bad traits (In Rules). You MUST NOT get a spouse until you roll the corresponding number. (See 'Getting a Spouse' below) You can look however you want. As a young adult, you need to have a job. You need to roll to select your job. All the jobs have trait requirements (because that's actually how they did it in the book), so if your Sim can't take one job, roll again. Or you could keep the roll and change their traits accordingly. It's up to you.

1. Nurturer (Hospital/Daycare Careers): Have 1 or more of these traits- family oriented, nurturing
2. Birthmother: Give yourself a daily stipend of $100 You can ONLY do this if your Sim is a female. Also note that they can have a total of 3 births before they have to become a laborer (Any part time job). Once you produce a child, give your Sim $300. Have 1 or more of these traits- Dislikes children, couch potato, unlucky (you've got to be unlucky to role this job.)
3. Assistant and Director of Recreation (Professional Sport career): Have 1 or more of these traits- childish, athletic, loves the outdoors, good sense of humor
4. Caretaker of the Old: (Make a household filled with Elders (or just one or two). Go there every weekday (except for holidays if you have seasons) and give yourself a daily stipend of $75. Have 1 or more of these traits- Good, neat
5. Engineer (Architect career if you have ambitions. If not it's a job using the computer): YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE GENIUS TRAIT!!! Give yourself a weekly stipend of $1000 if you don't have ambitions. Have 1 or more of these traits- Genius, handy, computer whiz, Eco-friendly, eccentric
6. Doctor (Kind of obvious): Have the trait of genius
7. Food Production (Culinary): Have 1 or more of these traits- green thumb, natural cook. If your Sim has only one of these traits, they work at the diner. If they have both, they work at the Bistro
8. Instructor of [insert age group here] (Education if you have it): Have 1 or more of these traits- friendly, ambitious, neat, charismatic, bookworm, genius. If you don't have ambitions, re-roll
9. Pilot (Astronomy): If you don't have Into the Future, re-roll. Have 1 or more of these traits- genius, athletic
10. Rehabilitation Center Worker (Inventor): If you don't have Ambitions, please re-roll. Have 1 or more of these traits- genius, handy, eccentric.

Getting A Spouse
First off, you need to have compatible zodiac signs. If you don't have that, then the Chief Elder decided that you two can't be together (which doesn't faze you because you don't really have feelings). Once you find someone (or make someone) with the compatible sign, you have to roll to see if you two are compatible enough. (Either a 20 sided die or a site like Random.org)
You roll a 1-5: Wait 3 Sim days and roll again, the Chief Elder is still studying you two.
You roll a 6-14: Success! You two must be married in a private wedding ceremony!
You roll a 15-20: You two are not meant for each other. Find another person and try again.

Once you find a suitable spouse, you MUST be married in a private ceremony. No exceptions.

Getting Children
There is a limit to how many children you can have in The Giver community, and that limit is 2. You can ONLY adopt a child when, 1. you don't have any yet; or 2. Your existing child has aged up into the child stage. You can 'apply' (roll) to see if you have been allowed children once you think you and your spouse are ready. If one of you have the insane trait, there is a separate rolling table for you to use. If either of your Sims has the dislikes children trait, you may not have children. If either of your Sims has the family-oriented or nurturing trait, you only have to wait one Sim day to adopt your newchild (infant). You can chose the name and gender. If you roll a 'you can't have a newchild,' then you have to wait one Sim week before applying again.
Regular Rolling:
1-10: You are eligible for a child
11-20: You may not have a newchild
Insane Trait Rolling:
1-5: You are lucky and your trait has not kept you from having a newchild
6-20: You are not able to have a newchild at this moment.

Raising Your Child(ren):
You MUST randomize their traits. If they receive a negative trait, re-roll until they don't get one.
You must teach your toddlers at least one of the toddler skills (walk, talk, potty) and then either the blocks, pegs, or xylophone skill. Your children and teens must have at least a B, and if they have a C or below, you must tell them to improve their skills and they have 3-4 Sim days to get back on track.
Children: Must have at least one logic skill point. They must have another skill point of any kind according to their traits.
Teenagers: Must have at least four logic skill points. The must have 2 skill points in any ONE other skill according to their traits. Teens also must start thinking about which assignment they wished to be assigned. On the day they become a teen, roll for their job. Try to improve skills that correspond with the job they received. The only exception to rolling for your job is if your teen has the couch potato trait AND the Unlucky/Dislikes Children trait, they MUST become a birthmother (if they are a male they skip out on it. Lucky them). This is the only trait to job requirement for teens. If you don't have the couch potato trait, you still roll for their job.

Your oldest child is a Young Adult:
You can choose to do this two ways: 1. Follow the child, or 2: stay with your original Sim. I would assign your child the job you roll and them move it out into a one bedroom lot if you choose to stay with your starting Sim. But if you do that, you still have to follow Elder regulations and move them to their designated place and THEN choose a child to follow through their life. I'd just follow the child if you want it to be more of a legacy challenge, but it's your choice.

Becoming and Elder:
Once you become an elder, you must go to the House of the Old (you can create this lot and put all your Sim's elders here and have your Caretaker of the Old work here too). They stay there until they are 'released' (die) and you must host a party (not a funeral) once this happens, it's a happy occasion! You may come to visit your Elder Sims, and add this to your teen's community service time if you decided to add that into the challenge (in the Bonus points section). You MAY NOT keep the Elder's in your household.

Release:
There are two (more like three) reasons you'd be released: 1. You're an elder and died/your birthmother had twins or triplets (kill one/two twin/triplets and keep the other) or 2. A Sim made 3 minor transgressions. The minor transgressions are listed in the 'Community Rules and Regulations' section below 'Game Play.'
If your Sim needs to be released, just drop their hunger down using "testingcheatsenabled true" without the quotations.

Rules
• You CAN NOT GIVE ANYONE these traits (unless told otherwise)
o Evil: They have no reason to be evil, they live in a perfect society, right?
o Hot-headed: Again, perfect society
o Mean-Spirited: Look above
o Party Animal: They can’t throw parties really; they have a ceremony once a year for aging up.
o Night Owl: I’m almost positive they have assigned bed times
o NOTHING ART RELATED INCLUDING PERFORMING: They don’t need it. They have their assigned jobs and that’s that.
o Mooch/Kleptomaniac: You’d be punished and sent to Elsewhere if you even THOUGHT about stealing.
o Vehicle Enthusiast: Why waste a trait spot when you don’t even have cars?
o Gatherer: They don’t need to gather food, they have plenty of food in their fridge!
o Loser: This is a perfect society where no one is a loser.
o Over-Emotional: You don't really have emotions.

• DON’T TAKE THE BUS/CAR TO WORK: Cancel the action and take your bike. No cars there, remember? (You can’t control the rest of your town so your kind of out of luck there) this is -10pts
• Don’t break curfew EVER- these are good children in a perfect society, perfect society children don't break curfews. -20pts for every time your out past the town's curfew, not the actual teen curfew (Below)
• NO CHEATING except for building your house, "resetsim", and "moveobjects" and if you have to release a Sim. -5pts if you don't follow this rule
If you're playing the Giver Characters:
• NO PART TIME JOBS -100pts if you do (kind of unreasonable, I know, but just to persuade you not to do it)
• No disliking your family/Gabriel/The Giver YOU LOSE

GAME PLAY

If you're acting as the Giver Characters:

After you create Jonas' family, select an empty lot, it doesn't have to be big, you're going to have a medium sized house.
Your house need to have/have the following items:
• 3-4 bedrooms
o 2 Kids rooms (1 single bed, 1 side table, alarm clock. Per room. Get the second cheapest bed and side table, cheapest alarm clock)
o 1 adult bedroom (1 double bed, 2 side tables, 2 alarm clocks. Again, second cheapest.)
• Plain kitchen (3-5 counter tops, 1 sink, second cheapest fridge and stove)
• A dining room (enough chairs for everyone and once you get Gabriel, a highchair)
• A bathroom with mirror and second cheapest sink, shower/tub, and toilet (you don't really need a mirror, in fact I don't think I would put one in. The book said that they didn't really use mirrors, they didn't have a need for them)
• Simple living room (Again, 1 second cheapest sofa, 1 second cheapest love seat, and the cheapest TV. You could get a bookcase if you want)
• A laundry room (Ambitions/University required)
• The house should be 2 levels with the rooms on the top floor.
• Assign each household member a bike. NO CARS
• I also suggest a computer in the living room, you don't have to though.

Your Own Sim:

Find a small empty lot and build a similar home to the one above, one bathroom, a small kitchen, no dining room, one bedroom, a laundry room, a study area. Two levels with the laundry room on the top level along with the study area and the bedroom.

You can move out of this home once you get a spouse. Then you have to make a three bedroom house with the same rooms as the one before, adding a dining room. Have four place settings in the dining room and once you have a baby/toddler in the house have a highchair.

MAIN GOAL
If you're playing as the Giver Characters:

• Get Jonas to escape his community (explained in the 'GOALS' section) 100pts if you do this

If you're playing as a Sim you made:
• Get your Sim through its life and go to the next generation. 100pts per generation you get through

GOALS Only if you're playing as The Giver characters.
Goals for Jonas teen stage
• Keep his grades up; you don't want to get a terrible assignment, do you?
• Keep Jonas' relationships with his parents and Lily in the middle of the green, he doesn't tell them everything but he doesn't hate them
• Halfway to Jonas' Young Adult stage have his family 'adopt' Gabriel. (Take him from whoever's household and if he aged up, age him back down in CAS. If you didn't make him at the beginning/don't feel like making him now, just use the adopt interaction on the phone and adopt a male toddler)
• The day after Jonas' turns a young adult (because you can't really have a runaway teen with a toddler, unless you want to that's fine) have him and Gabriel escape to Elsewhere (move to a different town)

COMMUNITY RULES AND REGULATIONS (AKA the big 10)
1. No coming out of your dwellings after 9pm and stay in them until work/school begins, or 8am.
2. Stay clean (Can't have a dirty community member, now can we?)
3. If you have University/Ambitions, keep up your laundry.
4. Don't become long-distance friends with anyone except your school group when you become a Young Adult and receive your assignment.
5. You can't have an enemy. (THIS IS A PERFECT COMMUNITY)
6. Keep your dwelling clean and orderly. Order is important.
7. Don't invite anyone over or go over to anyone's dwelling. Meet them at a community lot. (I realize you might not be able to stop a school friend from coming over but try your hardest)
8. You can only have 2 children, 1 boy and 1 girl (In other words, you have to adopt if you decide to continue this challenge without Jonas)
9. If your child dies, have a ceremony of Loss (a funeral) and then adopt another child of the same gender after the moodlet goes away (have the new child have the same name as the old child. For instance, if little Johnny dies then replace him with another Johnny)
10. Do not leave the community. (Unless you play as Jonas' family, then you kind of have to make an exception) You may apply for release (die) but you can't leave the community (town which pretty much means moving to a different town like from Sunset Valley to Bridgeport)

ADDED BONUSES (You get extra points)
The Giver Characters:
• Create Asher and Fiona- +20pts for each
• Like in the movie, have Jonas and Fiona become romantic interests (just don't let your parents or her parents see, you can't have a girlfriend in the Giver world, you have assigned marriages.)- +20pts
• Make a Chief Elder (Girl)- +50pts (Just because CAS is sort of a pain to be in for awhile)
• If you made the Chief Elder, have Jonas become enemies with her- +20pts
Your Own Sim/The Giver characters:
• Have community service hours for Jonas, go help a neighbor, clean your house, explore a job site, things like that- +10pts per day

I hope you like this challenge! If I get enough requests, I might make a challenge for Gathering Blue, a companion to The Giver. There are two more books after that, so if I get enough requests, I might do those too! Anyway, I hope you like my challenge. Please comment feedback and/or pictures!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 7:43 AM
I really like this! I might actually get around to playing it. (I keep telling myself that...) But I would really like to see a Gathering Blue version, along with Messenger and Son!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 10:18 PM
I love this! I might play with a sim totally separate from the story though...just a normal sim in the community
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Toffeecoco1
I really like this! I might actually get around to playing it. (I keep telling myself that...) But I would really like to see a Gathering Blue version, along with Messenger and Son!

Thank you! I'll try to get Gathering blue up sometime soon.

I have the same problem with getting around to play challenges too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lop90804
I love this! I might play with a sim totally separate from the story though...just a normal sim in the community

Cool! I hope you decide to post your sim so I can see how your sim turns out
Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alex_12_12_
Cool! I hope you decide to post your sim so I can see how your sim turns out

I will!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 8:31 PM
I am playing this but I have a few suggestions: Why not pay the birthmothers after the birth? Maybe create a nurturing center where the nurturers go everyday, similar to the house of the old? Maybe when you get a child, they come from the nurturing center.

And I can't get pictures to work
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lop90804
I am playing this but I have a few suggestions: Why not pay the birthmothers after the birth? Maybe create a nurturing center where the nurturers go everyday, similar to the house of the old? Maybe when you get a child, they come from the nurturing center.

And I can't get pictures to work

You could do that, I just didn't want to make it harder for the people who can't build well or don't feel like building another extra building.

To add to your paying when the birth mothers have a child, that's a good idea, I didn't think about that. I figured that sometimes it's hard to get pregnant so I had a weekly stipend. But now I'm going to add a bonus for having a child.
Scholar
#9 Old 2nd May 2015 at 8:17 AM
This is cool, I just re read the book the other day, actually!