Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2022 at 10:08 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Patterns not showing up even though they are working patterns
So I'm having a really hard time with patterns I've downloaded off thesimsresource.com. I've downloaded tons of patterns and maybe a handful are showing in the game. The one's that aren't showing are just replaced with the same random pattern. I use S3PackageViewer to convert the sims3packs to .package file and place in my mods folder. I've never had any issues. I know you're not supposed to do this to patterns but I've never had an issue until now but this isn't the cause because I redownloaded the sims3packs and used the sims downloader and they are still not working. Someone kept telling me one bad pattern made them all bad or something so then I took all the patterns out and only placed one of them in and it's still not showing. I know it's a working pattern because it's been downloaded loads of times and people have left comments. It's not just one pattern though. So far, out of like 60 pattern sets only a handful are showing in the game. Lastly I downloaded the TSR cc program that adds the downloads directly into your game and still nothing. I'm at a loss and so frustrated at this point. I know they're perfectly good patterns but I have no idea what to do. I've reached my brain capacity lol. Please help!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 21st Jun 2022 at 12:23 AM
It's a common problem with patterns created with the Create-a-Pattern tool, which are then converted to .package format.
The main image is assigned the same instance ID (ending in something like E4A), which makes patterns conflict with each other — in that one pattern will "take over" all the others.

The fix is simple, if a bit time-consuming: https://web.archive.org/web/2020052...st/122673018070
Same version of the tutorial, with some notes by me and the screenshots recovered: https://sweetdevil-sims.tumblr.com/...nto-100-working

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Scholar
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2022 at 12:55 PM
The way to find out if a pattern can be converted to package is to open it in S3PE and if it has more than one image file it was created with CAP and must stay in s3.pack format. I've just done all mine and to be fair a good few were from TSR, Out of a whole big folder of patterns I deleted many that weren't worth the bother and converted the bulk of them to package with no issues, I was left with 29 patterns that need to stay as a S3.pack. The cap thing is a different issue though I think, if you have issues with a pattern changed to a package you usually get an issue trying to enter CA, it will say 'materialising materials' and go in an endless loop of not opening CAS
Alchemist
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2022 at 3:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
The way to find out if a pattern can be converted to package is to open it in S3PE and if it has more than one image file it was created with CAP and must stay in s3.pack format. I've just done all mine and to be fair a good few were from TSR, Out of a whole big folder of patterns I deleted many that weren't worth the bother and converted the bulk of them to package with no issues, I was left with 29 patterns that need to stay as a S3.pack. The cap thing is a different issue though I think, if you have issues with a pattern changed to a package you usually get an issue trying to enter CA, it will say 'materialising materials' and go in an endless loop of not opening CAS

Yeah, these are the two main issues I've found when working with patterns. From my experience, I haven't been able to find a pattern that I couldn't use as a .package after some work, and these two tutorials are enough to cover these bases:
For "pattern image replaces other patterns": https://sweetdevil-sims.tumblr.com/...nto-100-working
For "Materializing Materials": https://modthesims.info/showthread....527#post4866527

It's easy to spot if the pattern will cause issues, simply by opening it in S3PE and checking:
- the instance ID of the main _IMG resource (i.e. the pattern itself): if it's 0x7EDD20633162E6CE, then you need the first tutorial.
- the _XML resouce: if there's a space in the "reskey" attribute, then you need the second tutorial.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!