Replies: 42 (Who?), Viewed: 2498 times.
Page 2 of 2
Scholar
#26 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 7:22 PM
Yeah, I've had those brushfires -- it's startling how fast one of those fires can go from bad to chaos. Matthew Hart set the Oresha-Hoh-Var house's yard ablaze when he tried to kill himself with a Weathernaught -- after multiple experiments which involved creating rain- and hailstorms, the former of which had led to weeds sprouting around the house. So, picture this: Finals about to start, raging hailstorm going on already, and suddenly it's hailing fire. Yeah, he wound up dead (from the hail impacts, not the fire!), and got his desire to be saved from death...much to the credit of his fraternity brother Johnny Smith, who had to plead for him while the fire blazing around them! I was personally very angry at the university for punishing Johnny for missing finals due to the clearly exigent circumstances. I had expected a blaze from the machine, but not one that surrounded two sides of the house! I think that one started out a two-alarm fire, then another fire engine and firefighter showed up when the first ones couldn't put it out.

The Riverblossom Hills branch of my Capp family also had this happen when Goneril set the outhouse-shed on fire by using the counterfeiting machine hidden behind it. They're not exactly tidy, and they have four dogs, so there are a lot of weeds in their yard...and one of the dogs likes to pee where his humans pee, or at least right next to it... By the time the two firefighters got there, the flaming shed was surrounded by blazing weeds, which were surrounded by panicking family (one on fire himself!), walkbys, and barking dogs. Not one family member would calm down enough to be of help, and the only one who didn't panic at first was on fire himself by the time the fire department arrived due to responding to the fire by attempting to flush the toilet. The toilet that was on fire. I did think I was going to lose Albany to that bit of idiocy, but thankfully Hal has a cell phone and the slight amount of reason required to use it to call the fire department when he saw his father catch fire. Also, because this was on a weekend morning and there's only one shower-tub in the house, the whole family was in pyjamas or underwear. Because my game has consequences for things like, oh, catching fire three times in a row while wearing boxer shorts and an undershirt, Albany is in the hospital with severe burns (an overlay) and is going to be lucky to get away with only scars (you know, there's new sliders now and something called an unlocked plastic surgery machine...). Of course, with only one shower, that family stunk for most of the day...good thing Desdemona is turning into a dog-obsessed Energizer addict.
Mad Poster
#27 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 7:39 PM
If you think there's a possibility that you might have massive fires like that in your game, you might want to consider SimWardrobe's "Fire Brigade" mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
The Fire Brigade will spawn one firefighter for every seven tiles of fire on the lot, up to a maximum of eight. This fix should work with all versions of The Sims 2.

Notes:
This a hack, not an object.

The game will create extra firefighters in your neighborhood as required for firefighting. Neighborhoods usually start with just three, so potentially you could get five additional firefighters if you like to play with fire.

This package only changes the number of firefighters that respond to big fires. It affects nothing else.

To get SimWardrobe mods, see the link in ihatemandatoryregister's signature. "Fire Brigade" is under "Fixes - All Versions."
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 11:09 PM
Oh yes, I had this happen. A mother, her twin daughter and a passerby died, leaving a distraught father, remaining twin and toddler. It was a family tragedy that some still remember.
Now I have the mod for tidy gardens it won't happen again.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 11:42 PM
We really need a sad button.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
#30 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 11:57 PM
I thought sims who had learned Fire Safety were more inclined to run AWAY from the fires? At least when i had sims learn it before and a stove caught fire in the apartment Pascal Curious had to make 3 trips to get his quads out onto the street but he did get them out autonomously without me directing it.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 12:00 AM
I saw an improvement too. But I would not know if it has to do with learning fire safety, a mod or patch or else. But now, adult sims will grab the youngest first, and put them outside prior to, panic...if they panic.
Or they will autonomously try to extinguish the flames themselves.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Theorist
#32 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 1:09 AM
Cool story and love all the pictures! What I want to know is how do weeds burn up and leave a pile of wooden boards??

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#33 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 1:12 AM
I noticed the weeds were more just 'ash' piles but the hedges and trees looked more like charred boards, they had more wood I guess.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Meet Me In My Next Life
#34 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 3:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffyn
Man, if you think that's bad, I've had all the landscaping I did for a house burn down and thensome thanks to a more dangerous fire mod. I thought I was actually going to lose the sim because I've lost families to fire but luckily she didn't get scorched.

@Steffyn O this is just terrible, the poor Sims if this keep up, they will be homeless. Thanks for sharing the picture

Here a link to keep a Perfect Garden for members who want it by TwoJeff's scroll down screen pick the one you want to use. http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Scholar
#35 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 4:44 AM
WOW!!! And nobody died, which is even more amazing. I've lost Sims to much smaller lightning fires than that.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleClawDesigns
I thought sims who had learned Fire Safety were more inclined to run AWAY from the fires? At least when i had sims learn it before and a stove caught fire in the apartment Pascal Curious had to make 3 trips to get his quads out onto the street but he did get them out autonomously without me directing it.

On the wiki it says they likely to automously extinguish the fire. Maybe your sim was living in an apartment, and that why he ran out to the street.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 1:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
Oh, I have learned one thing about fires-if a massive fire breaks out, and one of the inhabitants is at work or school, be ready to teleport them into the house immediately when they come home. Otherwise there will be fatalities because those pixels do not understand they're not going to put it out by screaming, jumping and running all over the lot while it's on fire.

Yep. This is exactly how I lost half of the Grunt family. I usually never worry about tree/lightning fires because the rain puts them out, but not in this case. I couldn't get them to stop screaming long enough to call the fire brigade either.

It's base game behaviour that sims will carry babies and toddlers away from fires. That's nothing to do with learning fire safety.

Livejournal: simsfreq.livejournal.com
Tumblr: simsfreq.tumblr.com

Co sleeper for babies/toddlers, and teen career overhaul (also custom schools) Plus! TS2:UNI careers enabled for teens: Here at simbology
Field Researcher
#38 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 5:16 PM
I think Sims take toddlers and babys away from fire, even if they don't learn fire safety.

That at least get's everybody to safety, I hate how they panic halfway to the phone and then run back into the fire....
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 2:33 AM
Wow, this is gold! Perhaps I shall plant a forest around the Pleasant family house and set an innocent tree ablaze for some incredible fun!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 6:17 AM
Your post reminded me of this, lol.

But if MTS had a hall of fame for most memorable posts, yours should be in it!
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#41 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 6:19 AM
Hahahahaha omg I love that meme, thanks. And yes, the situation was kind of reminicent of that!

Test Subject
#42 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 7:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmful
It's a rare happenstance but there are times in the game during a thunderstrom where a lightning strikes renders fire and the rain stops before it puts the flames out.

The last time this happened to me was years ago and the fire spread because of this condition but also because the sims in residence were at work and most of the yard burned down before they could come home and call the fire department. There were two fatalities of NPC passerbies.

This time, fire struck around 4:00 am and the sims were asleep but could call the fire department, and they did but in a matter of moments the fire reached to an
inferno because the lawn was covered in weeds. One side of the yard that was once a nicely landscaped shrubbery by Triciamanly was rendered into many piles of ash and the blaze took five in-game hours to put out with the help of two brave firefighters and the dad in the house. He caught fire twice but thankfully was extinguished by the firemen. It was a long, nail-biting morning as the flames spread down the yard and if those weeds hadn't connected the far hedges to the ones next to the house, I'm sure it could have been contained quicker.

So this is a friendly public service message to call your local gardener or set aside a few hours every weekend to at least pull your weeds!

Or look for a mod to stop that on this site!
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#43 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 7:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterunguard909
Or look for a mod to stop that on this site!

If you're into that sort of thing

Page 2 of 2