Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2010 at 6:11 PM Last edited by Kimxchan : 3rd Sep 2010 at 2:12 PM.
Default Infinite Improbability Challenge - A Legacy
To read these rules in a nice, pretty format (and for the extra 'Similar Challenges' and 'Suggestions' pages), see http://nibfrabbit.99k.org/wordpress/

Basically, this is a hybrid of the Sims 2 ISBI legacy and the random challenges that have gotten so popular. This challenge probably doesn't NEED to exist, but I made largely it for my own use and decided why not share. I just wasn't 100% happy with alternatives for my current legacy, that's all.

Thought I'd share here as it's a nice central location for challenges.

Main rules

1. Traits/Life Time Wish
Make your founder however you like, but start with a Young Adult (unless you want less time to find an heir and reach goals). I find it more fun to roll at least two random traits, but for the founder, it doesn’t matter. Chose the most interesting Life Time Wish out of the selection.

Once you have children, if you get the option of choosing traits, you may ONLY use the randomizer. Yes, even if you get wickedly bad or boring traits. You get one re-roll per generation (not per kid), with the exception of getting useless hidden traits, such as ‘Simbot’.

Since you won’t be commanding the children, you choose their Life Time Wish when they age to YA. You can either roll a die, or just pick, but remember that easier is not always more interesting. The only caveat is that you must pick the LTW BEFORE rolling the generation challenge.

2. Control
Note: The challenges CAN be done in a regular legacy, so feel free to skip this section.
You can only control one Sim per ‘generation’: your founder, and then the designated heir, much like the Sims2 I’m Surrounded By Idiots challenge. However, feel free to SELECT your other Sims to check their motives, take items out of their inventory (the exception being cars from spouses, unless you don’t sell them), etc. You MAY NOT direct those Sims to do anything, nor cancel their interactions.

Unlike the ISBI challenge, you don’t get a command for non-playables: ever. The exception to this is for people who have to command their Sim to the dresser/mirror, and to kick Sims out. My recommendation is to use Awesomemod or another mod that allows you to load the mirror/dresser without dropping a Sim’s queue. If you don’t, you should not interrupt anything more interesting than daydreaming on the bed or reading a book for makeover time. If you have a mod that lets you use CAS instead, don’t fiddle with sliders. Even the weight slider!

You may, once the Sim hits child (or just after move-in/creation for spouses and Simbots), give them one command to sleep in a specific bed, if Sims sleeping all over the place bothers you. Again, don’t interrupt anything interesting in a queue to do this, and don’t do it if they’re about to pass out but not going to bed themselves.

Just decline opportunities for non-playables, to avoid the game bothering you about them.

3. Spouses
Almost all Sims in the town are fair game for spouse. Please feel free to seed your town with CAS Sims. However, spouses should either be born in-game from your CAS Sims, or downloaded from someone else (ala Pixel_trade). This is just to introduce an element of creator diversity into your family.

With the exception of non-romantic autonomous WooHoo through mods, to make a Sim eligible as the parent of an heir, woo them! This means you must wait AT LEAST one Sim day before moving them in or TWO to propose marriage, and before you can propose going steady/move in/what have you, go on at least one “date” (that is, meet at a community location at some time other than when they meet) with his or her potential beloved. Your Sim MUST have at least three traits revealed to be eligible for initiating romance. The ONLY legal romantic interaction before knowing his or her traits are met is ‘Are you Single?’, unless your Sim’s personality dictates that he or she is not the ‘getting to know you’ type.

4. Reproduction and Designating the Heir
In order to advance the legacy, you’ll need an heir, clearly. There are no rules for reproduction except those in the challenges. Additionally, if you have an autonomous ‘Risky’ WooHoo/Try for Baby mod, you cannot cancel this interaction unless it interferes with your Playable’s ability to stay alive OR you already have 4 children of any origin in the house. Using mods to allow or artificially create same-sex pregnancies is absolutely fine.

All biological and adoptive descendants of your current Playable are eligible for heir, but step-children are not, no matter what. Neither are children who were raised in a different household OR any illegitimate children your spouse may have.

However: adopted children are only game if you’re playing a generation with no biological options OR if the kids were raised together (i.e. at least one biological child was no older than halfway through the child stage when the adoption was made).

You can designate the heir whenever you’d like, however, don’t switch over control until your heir becomes a YA. You have 24 Sim hours after the heir ages up to finish what you’re doing with the current Playable, and then you HAVE to make the switch. For this reason, start thinking about heir when the first child is still a teenager. Once a child becomes a YA, if you don’t select him or her as heir within 24 hours, they become ineligible. So you do have a time limit and might end up making a losing gamble on a younger child–but them’s the breaks.

4b. Double Heir
If you have a generation where you absolutely cannot choose between two children for heir, you may control them both for the generation– kind of. Every Sim-week, switch which one is the Playable. They also both need to fulfill the Generation Challenge to have their children eligible for heir, and you can’t leave the other with a Supreme Commander or similar command for the off week.

5. Cheating
Let your conscience be your guide. Feel free to use mods and cheat codes but REMEMBER: the goal of this Legacy Variant is to make PLAYING your legacy more fun. So, please don’t use money/mood/motive altering cheats or mods during game play unless they are not completely egregious–the definition of which is up to you.

6. Goals
Your goals for each generation will be as follows:

1. Fulfill your Playable’s LTW

2. Produce an Heir.

3. Roll and fulfill one generation challenge.

4. Every other Sim-week (beginning at 12:00AM Sunday) roll and begin a mini-challenge. You have until the next mini-challenge to fulfill the goal. Please note: The number of challenges for this game will not support a lifespan too much longer than the default 90 days

They will see us waving from such great heights...
[I create: Just about anything I can learn to do.]
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 1:51 PM Last edited by Kimxchan : 3rd Sep 2010 at 2:11 PM.
Generation Challenge
Roll this at the very start of each generation, here meaning when a new Sim becomes playable. These are designed to be a challenge to complete, to give you something to constantly think about or do that you might not, normally. They're also meant to enhance your gameplay, not make it a chore or be "unwinnable".

Still, a lot of them require you to create less than idyllic situations. If that's not your play style, there are lots of other mini-challenge and Legacy variants out there. That said, I have avoided creating challenges that deal with real-life drama, but please re-roll if completing the challenge would make you profoundly uncomfortable or otherwise effect your emotional health: its the Sims, for goodness sake, have fun.

You'll need a standard six-sided die or a number generator that can emulate one.

The first roll will give you your category, and a second roll will give you the challenge. There are a total of 36 generation challenges, so unless you’re insane/ambitious you won’t be doing a significant number of them in one go.

Conditions for a valid re-roll are listed with each challenge, but never re-roll for category (there’s at least one challenge per group that doesn’t have re-roll conditions). Additionally, if the challenge is basically your Sim’s Life Time Wish with a tiny amount of extra work, re-roll. You are never required to re-roll under any condition, but remember that the goal is to generally to give your Sims MORE personality, not ignore their traits. You may also re-roll if you have done the same challenge within the last two generations.

Challenges are 'spoilered' for space, I don't care if you peek.

1: Children/Spouse

2: Social Life

3: Life Goals

4: Personality Issues

5: Morbid and Mean

6: Silly Things

Mini-Challenges
With the default stage lengths and normal age lengths, your average number of mini-challenges will be two or three per generation, depending on what day of the week you begin and how long it takes you to produce the actual heir (since it takes 31 days to go from baby to YA usually).

There are 20 mini-challenges, which means you’ll probably have to repeat some if you go to generation 10. This area may well be expanded in the future. For now, it is kosher to use another random table if you run out of options.

I have not listed specific re-roll conditions for mini-challenges, but if it seems like something totally contrary to your Sim’s personality, LTW, or generation challenge, go ahead and re-roll. Mini challenges are not grouped according to theme, so you can re-roll for both group and letter.

Again, mini-challenges begin on Sunday midnight, and are in affect for 14 days, unless you decide to do them weekly. That means you have two sim weeks to fulfill requirements. If you have a 'goal'' challenge versus a behavior/play challenge and finish early, you do not have to re-roll before the Sunday deadline. You may find it useful to note which Week your town is on when you start a challenge so you can keep track of the days.

Roll a die to get your challenge group. If you roll a six here, roll again for the group number but do challenge ‘D’ for that group.

Now that you have that, roll one more time (unless you got a six first!). If you get 1-2, do challenge A in your number group. 3-4 are challenge B, and 5-6 are challenge C.

Group One

Group Two

Group Three

Group Four

Group Five

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 7:17 PM
cool! i love this challenge!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 12:50 AM
Oh, are you actually giving it a go? I'd love to hear any feedback!

Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 12:56 AM
I'm giving it a go. Well, kind of. I'm on generation 5 of a different legacy challenge, and I'm already bored. So I'll be incorporating these rules into that family once the next heir ages up to YA.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 4:20 AM
missjoini: Actually, that's what I did as well, just with Generation 2. Generation 1 of my current legacy was just a "regular" ISBI. Let me know how it turns out, and especially if you discover your challenges are either too easy or too hard.

Test Subject
#7 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 9:59 PM
I've started this challenge today, but do i have to do the mini-challenges? I totally forgot about them, and my sim is quite busy raising two kids, working her way up to astronaut, and wants to marry the father of her babies, and I'm still making her have a social life
So... Alright if I use it whenever I remember it?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 10:43 PM
Glad to hear you're trying it! Since there is no scoring system and this is more of a casual challenge, don't sweat it. If you're not trying to play exactly by the rules, just start a mini-challenge whenever it seems like you might not have enough going on, etc.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 1:17 AM
So I was thinking of adding ANOTHER random piece to this: rather than always controlling only one Sim, there would a roll for that too, with one like it is now, another where maybe you rotate, or can only give certain commands, etc.

Do you think this would add to the challenge or just be a headache?