Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2011 at 6:21 PM
Default Historical Legacy Challenge
I was watching The History Channel's "America, the story of US" a while back and came up with this challenge. There is a long form and a short form, but remember they are Legacies, so plan accordingly....

Long Form: Founding Generation

1) Use or make a "Clean neighborhood"
2) Make or DL a few Medieval buildings, a City Hall, Consignment Store, Police Station, Military Barracks, Grocery store and book store ONLY.
3) Build 2 Sims, male and female, these are your founders. You can have "indentured servants" for realism. If you have the mod for it or pick the "no Jealousy" reward any children with the "indentured servants" move out with the Heir.
4) Mr. and Mrs. Founder set up fishing and farming with a small house near water and get to raising a family.
5) build a school when the first child is or school age
6) First born son is heir (until modern ages)
7) Keep track of your time line because any time there was a war (French and Indian, Revolutionary, Civil War) ALL eligible men must join the military for an equivalent number of Sim Days as real world years.
8) Every other generation must be agrarian, to allow for Western Expansion, until the 20th century.

Story:

Your Sims are looking for adventure in the New World and a better life. Your Founders sell everything they own for a dangerous 3 month voyage on a leaky boat to a wild world full of danger. They are colonists, they have one job, survive to produce the next generation. By the start of the first "American" generation there is plenty of opportunity in the burgeoning town, but by the second it is too crowded. Your family moves West, and starts all over again... Until we reach the Modern age.

Long Form Rules:

1) Please NO CHEATING (it's tough I know)
2)Keep track of your time line you must follow historical events: All "indentured servants" must move out by the end of the Civil War, one person in the family MUST make "juice" during Prohibition, Men must go to war, etc.
3) No hospitals until after the Civil War, no stadiums or movie lots until the 20th Century
4) Every other generation produces their own food and has no other job
5) Only males can inherit until the 20th century, if you have a generation of all females, the oldest one's husband is the heir.
6) Women CAN NOT work outside the home until the 20th century
7) Every Generation is 20 years, Game is over when your Sims reach 2011

Short Form Story:

It's the dawn of a new century, the 20th century, your Sims are immigrants to America, the land of opportunity. You move to Bridgeport (or any other neighborhood you design as a "Big City"). Your founders live in a tenement apartment and try to scrape a living to better their family.

Short Form Rules:

1)Keep track of your time line history must be followed.... "juice" makers during Prohibition, men going to war, can not have astronauts until the 50's.
2)All town opportunities are available, no need to do the agrarian portion.
3) follow the long form for timing, etc.

I've had fun with this, both versions. It's a fun way to learn American history.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 7:41 PM
good idea..... A bit confusing though :/
Instructor
#3 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 4:41 PM
I like it ^^ And I like history too, so I'll try it (now that I take a one week break from my story ^^).Well, I'll try posting some images here, with the people.
I'll try the long form, until I get bored ^^" (one week should be enough).
Oh, and ... some questions:
1) For how many generations do you have to play to reach the 20th century?
2)Can you plase write more details for each generation?

I'll post later some images ^^
Instructor
#4 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 7:56 PM
So, I started the game ^^

This is Abigail, one of the founders.She was born in a rich family and she is used to have servant, so her new life is not exactly what she expected.She spents most of her time outside, in the garden or fishing.She gave birth to her first son, the family's heir, Olaf (named after the father).Even if she likes having servant, she doesn't like the girl that work in their house, because, as she says, she has a "strange feeling about her".

Olaf is Abigail's husband.His family was well known for their courage, but they were not rich.He and Abigail got married very early in their life, shortly after they met.
The family life isn't for him, as he considers fighting in the war.
He is attracted by the girl that works for them.

Morgan le Fay is a strange person, because she claims that she has no past.Well, her name will be well known is history, as the witches had predicted at her birth.
She's beautiful, but her body hides dangerous secrets.

Shortly after they moved here, Abigail got pregnant and she was right: they were expecting their first son.

One of Morgan's chores in the house is to take care of the children and she enjoys it.Spending time with little Olaf is one of her favorite activities.
Instructor
#5 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 8:55 PM
Well, I really enjoy playing this challenge once in a while, so ... What happened in my game since the last time I posted ^^

Abigail, Olaf's wife gave birth to 4 more sons: Caspar, Bertrand, Arthur and Oswyn.They have now 5 sons (with Olaf, the first born, too).Olaf and his older sons (Olaf Jr. and Caspar) went to war, but, unfortunately, only the father returned.Also, Little Bertrand died soon after his birth.
(well, the truth is that Olaf Jr. moved and took with him Bertrand, Caspar and Arthur; but the first story is more dramatic ^^" )

A year ago, when Morgan wanted to leave the house and marry a man from the town, Olaf raped her, forcing her to remain here.She gave birth to a son, whom she named Ywain (he was born the same day as Olaf and Abigail's youngest son, Oswyn).
Now, Morgan is pregnant again with Olaf's child.

Abigail is supecting something, but she can't underestimate her husband's authority.

Also, a photo of Abigail (pregnant with Oswyn) and Morgan (pregnant with Ywain).
Test Subject
#6 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 8:08 PM
I started this challenge short form, with Melva and Malcolm O'Donell, Irish immigrants at the turn of the century. I don't have Night Life, so I put them in a teens-twenties style bungalow copied from an actual Sears catalog floor plan. Since these rules are pretty vague, I made my own very detailed home rules - rules for re-decorating the house/moving eventually/dice rolls to see if the men die in the wars, do they keep the house when the great depression hits, etc. etc. I've set it up so each generation is two decades - when my founders turned Adult, it became the 1910s, and the men were sent to WWI. When the heir becomes a YA it's the twenties, and we begin prohibition, when the heir reaches Adult it's the 30s and the Great Depression, an so on, and so forth.

Here are pics of my lovely founders, in as close to period dress as I could find:

Malcolm - riding his bike to work.

Melva - reading the paper on the porch.

Malcolm - hard at work at the firehouse - my in story excuse for why they have a nice house is that Malcolm's cousin recently moved back to Ireland, and since Malcolm and Melva were moving to the U.S., he gave them his house and job in the fire brigade.

Melva - cooking dinner for her family.

Melva - aspires to be a lady novelist, but it's slow going what with all her duties at home.

I don't have a picture of their house, but I'll probably upload one later. At this point they have two kids - Patrick, who's a teenager now and Maggie, who's a child. Malcolm has been at war (I downloaded a military base with a barracks attached so he hasn't been home since the war started) for almost two weeks now - he missed Maggie's birth and all but the first of Patrick's birthdays.

I can't wait to start the prohibition! Speakeasy's a rum runners, oh my! Of course, that's assuming my heirs survive the Spanish flu, which I will roll for immediately upon Malcolm's return.