Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2020 at 9:37 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Pet aged up and is pitch black?
So my puppy aged up, and for some reason he was entirely black. Not like, normal black, entirely 100% pitch black. His icon showed a normal looking white and black dog, but that's not what he looked like. I tried resetting him, but it didn't work so I just quit out. When googling to see if anyone had posted about this somewhere before, I found a bunch of forum threads about TS3 and TS4, but none for TS2. I haven't played to him aging up again, but I figured I should see if I can figure out what this problem was. I have no custom pet stuff installed whatsoever, just custom pet furniture and stuff.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st Sep 2020 at 10:05 PM
It happens in the vanilla game, so it's not a mod issue. If you buy a pet collar and Change Pet's Appearance to add the collar, that usually fixes it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Sep 2020 at 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
It happens in the vanilla game, so it's not a mod issue. If you buy a pet collar and Change Pet's Appearance to add the collar, that usually fixes it.

Interesting... Does it normally only happen when the pet is inside? Because I just played up to the pet aging up again and he was outside when it happened this time, and he only turned black when he walked into the house.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Sep 2020 at 11:20 PM
You may have a shadow issue, how do your sims look inside the house?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2020 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You may have a shadow issue, how do your sims look inside the house?

Sims are completely normal, it's only the dog that's weird.
Alchemist
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2020 at 2:21 AM
This happens when aging sims as well - they are completely blacked out when indoors, but look normal outside. I find the problem usually fixes itself next time you load the lot.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Scholar
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2020 at 2:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leviathan_bones
Interesting... Does it normally only happen when the pet is inside? Because I just played up to the pet aging up again and he was outside when it happened this time, and he only turned black when he walked into the house.

Hmm . . .Yes, I think it does tend to be more of an indoor thing. My most recent litter had no problems, and the Sim was camping out, so everywhere on the lot was 'outside'.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2020 at 5:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
Hmm . . .Yes, I think it does tend to be more of an indoor thing. My most recent litter had no problems, and the Sim was camping out, so everywhere on the lot was 'outside'.

Try resetting them. Put move objects on, delete the pets, save, go to hood view and reload the lot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Sep 2020 at 2:27 AM
Try resetting them. Put move objects on, delete the pets, save, go to hood view and reload the lot.

Okay, so good news, the shadow pet problem has been fixed. Bad news, my dog now has ears that are permanently stuck out at 90degree angles, she kind of looks like a helicopter, and her aging bar says she is 1 day away from becoming an adult, yet she is already an adult. Resetting her, or deleting her and reloading does nothing. This only appeared after I deleted her with moveobjects, saved, and reloaded.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 28th Sep 2020 at 3:43 AM
Check that your antivirus can't see your sims files, those under documents and the install files. Some years ago I had some wonkiness on sim age up and it was from my anti-virus program.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Sep 2020 at 3:48 AM
Check that your antivirus can't see your sims files, those under documents and the install files. Some years ago I had some wonkiness on sim age up and it was from my anti-virus program.

How do I do that? And do I want it to be able to see the files, or be unable to see them?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 28th Sep 2020 at 4:05 AM
How do I do that? And do I want it to be able to see the files, or be unable to see them?

You want it to not check them, to leave them alone, nor any game files. I also had an antivirus take an old games EXE and put it in quarantine. I guess it doesn't recognize old game files, thinks they could be a threat and moves or stops them being used properly.

You would have to check your antivirus settings, it depends on what you are using.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Sep 2020 at 2:26 AM
You want it to not check them, to leave them alone, nor any game files. I also had an antivirus take an old games EXE and put it in quarantine. I guess it doesn't recognize old game files, thinks they could be a threat and moves or stops them being used properly.

You would have to check your antivirus settings, it depends on what you are using.

Okay, so, I really am not a computer person at all, so I got my dad to take a look at our antivirus, and neither of us could quite figure out how to do what you're talking about. He fiddled with some settings but that didn't fix anything.... Could this glitch possibly be anything else? I'm really worried now, I don't know how to do anything with my antivirus and I still want to play my game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 29th Sep 2020 at 3:10 AM
What anti-virus are you using?

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Sep 2020 at 3:12 AM
What anti-virus are you using?

Bitdefender
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 29th Sep 2020 at 10:17 AM
This might help:
https://www.bitdefender.com/consume...t/answer/13427/
You want to add your Documents/ EA Games/ The Sims 2 folder. You could also add the game install location (usually something like Program Files(x86)/ EAGames/ The Sims 2) as well.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 29th Sep 2020 at 12:24 PM
Bitdefender

https://www.bitdefender.com/consume...t/answer/13427/ See if that helps.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 29th Sep 2020 at 12:57 PM
How do I do this if I have some other anti-virus? would the path be similar? My antivirus often tags MTS as dangerous...
ALSO: I have pets do this also--they look black when inside. Click on a mirror to "change appearance" - you don't actually have to DO anything to the pet (like add a collar).

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#19 Old 30th Sep 2020 at 12:06 AM
Default o my

I thought this said "bitch finder"...

Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 30th Sep 2020 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
How do I do this if I have some other anti-virus? would the path be similar? My antivirus often tags MTS as dangerous...
ALSO: I have pets do this also--they look black when inside. Click on a mirror to "change appearance" - you don't actually have to DO anything to the pet (like add a collar).

Unfortunately the game doesn't let you change the appearance of puppies, and my dog is set at 1 day to adulthood for some reason.... I can't give her a collar
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 30th Sep 2020 at 3:46 AM

Okay, I've made sure that both the folders in /Documents and the game folders are not affected by bitdefender. This hasn't fixed my dog Is there really nothing else this could be?
Mad Poster
#22 Old 30th Sep 2020 at 8:05 PM
Unfortunately the game doesn't let you change the appearance of puppies, and my dog is set at 1 day to adulthood for some reason.... I can't give her a collar

Ah! My dogs only turned black when they became adults.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th Sep 2020 at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Ah! My dogs only turned black when they became adults.

So did mine, but deleting her with moveobjects, saving and reloading the lot has resulted in this. The black lighting problem is gone now