Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 1:06 AM
Default S3OC Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
I am trying to make simple changes to some package files in S3OC - changing names, descriptions, and catalog locations. Sometimes I receive this "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". It seems to happen more with files that have been converted from sims3pack to package, but not always. Does anyone know how to resolve it? I tried to research it on my own, but only found a Sims 2 thread. I'm not a skilled content creator. Just a simpleton trying to clean up their catalog.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Object.GetType()
at ObjectCloner.MainForm.ReplaceRKsInField(SpecificResource item, String fn, Predicate`1 match, Converter`2 replacer, AApiVersionedFields field)
at ObjectCloner.MainForm.StartFixing()
at ObjectCloner.MainForm.FixStart()
at ObjectCloner.SplitterComponents.CloneFixOptions.btnStart_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 7:49 AM
Is it a CC .package or a gamefile .package?

You're trying to edit the .package file directly? Or make a clone of it and edit that version?
If the former, S3OC is not the tool for editing .packages "in-place", you'd use S3PE for that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 6:14 PM Last edited by amb785 : 28th Feb 2021 at 6:33 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
Is it a CC .package or a gamefile .package?

You're trying to edit the .package file directly? Or make a clone of it and edit that version?
If the former, S3OC is not the tool for editing .packages "in-place", you'd use S3PE for that.

Hi, I appreciate the response! These are cc package files, not ea game files - basically I'm trying to add the EA names and descriptions to items that others have converted from TS4. I'm using S3OC according to the line below in the Cloning Options explanation of the tool's HelpFiles. I know you can edit names and descriptions by changing STBLs in S3PE but I've had a hard time with that. S3OC seems to do the job well except for when I run into this error. If there's a better way to achieve my goal though, I'd be happy investigate other recommendations. I found this tutorial for recategorization, which I can work with: https://simswiki.info/wiki.php?titl..._Reorganization. I've been having trouble finding something that breaks down editing the STBLs to change the name and description. Seems like you have to change every file, and there are so many.

NB: you can use S3OC to just change the name and description and where the object goes in the Buy catalog. Just untick everything apart from "Enable compression" and edit the Tab fields before clicking "Start"
Instructor
#4 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 6:56 PM
You could use Easy STBL Manager. Editing those strings is what it is for. The bonus here is that it will ADD them if the OC didn't bother (I've run into that now and then).

I'm not sure I follow your meaning when you say "Seems like you have to change every file, and there are so many."? Even doing it with S3OC, you'd have to open each file to edit it like that? Am I missing something?

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
You could use Easy STBL Manager. Editing those strings is what it is for. The bonus here is that it will ADD them if the OC didn't bother (I've run into that now and then).

I did some more digging around for an STBL-editing tutorial and just found the Easy STBL Manager so I'm going to give that a try.

Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
I'm not sure I follow your meaning when you say "Seems like you have to change every file, and there are so many."? Even doing it with S3OC, you'd have to open each file to edit it like that? Am I missing something?

I may not be explaining myself well since I'm only somewhat familiar with all the components of a package file. I made a copy of a package file and tried to edit the STBLs without really knowing how. I meant that there can be maybe 16 STBLs in a package, and I thought I would need to change the name and description of each STBL because I don't know how to find which one is for my language... so copying and pasting the same info many times just to update one package file.
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#6 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 7:36 PM
If you are playing in English, then you just need to change the stbl with the Instance number that begins with 0x00.
If not, you can check here to see what the instance  number starts with for the lanuage you play in
In the Arena
retired moderator
#7 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 7:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by amb785
NB: you can use S3OC to just change the name and description and where the object goes in the Buy catalog. Just untick everything apart from "Enable compression" and edit the Tab fields before clicking "Start"
I must be missing a step then. I cannot uncheck "Create clone package" as that is disabled. How do I do that?
Something to learn everyday.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
If you are playing in English, then you just need to change the stbl with the Instance number that begins with 0x00.
If not, you can check here to see what the instance  number starts with for the lanuage you play in

Yes, I'm playing in English. So I would look at the Instance column in SP3E - and the English one is the one highlighted in grey? I think I understand this. I saw that table earlier but didn't know what I should be looking at in S3PE.

Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 8:45 PM
I must be missing a step then. I cannot uncheck "Create clone package" as that is disabled. How do I do that?
Something to learn everyday.

Huh! I don't know! I just open a package in S3OC, select the item, click the Clone or Fix... button, then change what I want before hitting the Start button. The only thing checked is Enable Compression. I didn't make any changes to the S3OC settings. If you wanted to try it, maybe uninstall and download it again? It's worked for a lot of package files, but I seem to encounter the error in the original post for two creators in particular, so I don't know if it's something they do to their CC, or if it's a problem in the sims3pack to package conversion process, although only one creator releases their CC in sims3pack format. The other doesn't. It's too bad, because I found this method really easy!
Instructor
#10 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by amb785
Huh! I don't know! I just open a package in S3OC, select the item, click the Clone or Fix... button, then change what I want before hitting the Start button. The only thing checked is Enable Compression. I didn't make any changes to the S3OC settings. If you wanted to try it, maybe uninstall and download it again? It's worked for a lot of package files, but I seem to encounter the error in the original post for two creators in particular, so I don't know if it's something they do to their CC, or if it's a problem in the sims3pack to package conversion process, although only one creator releases their CC in sims3pack format. The other doesn't. It's too bad, because I found this method really easy!

That box is not un-checkable. There is no reason to anyway. The one that matters is the one marked 'renumber/rename internally". When that one is checked you are making a new stand-alone clone that won't conflict with the original. If you un-check the "renumber" box, you are making an override for the original.

As for the question about doing it in S3PE - Yes, the grey line you have highlighted is the correct one @amb785.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
In the Arena
retired moderator
#11 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 9:21 PM
OK, it bugged me, so I compared the .packages opened.

Because I've always ever opened game file .packages and it is not un-checkable.
But CC .packages (ie already cloned .package file) is indeed already unchecked (with the Deep cloned now disabled).

Sorry to derail the main subject, but I'm sure there will be others who'll get confused just as I did. So, now mystery solved. Hope this helps others down the line...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Feb 2021 at 10:25 PM
OK, it bugged me, so I compared the .packages opened.

Because I've always ever opened game file .packages and it is not un-checkable.
But CC .packages (ie already cloned .package file) is indeed already unchecked (with the Deep cloned now disabled).

Sorry to derail the main subject, but I'm sure there will be others who'll get confused just as I did. So, now mystery solved. Hope this helps others down the line...

That makes sense, and I'm glad you figured out the difference. I hate when I can't figure out why something isn't behaving as expected.