Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

"Has ran"? Anti-anti-grammar popup replacement for deserting pets

by Nysha Posted 3rd Aug 2008 at 1:36 AM - Updated 23rd Oct 2010 at 4:06 PM by whiterider

51 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 45 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 9:56 PM
Glad you are championing the cause of good English!! Go see www.icanhascheezburger.com the lolspeak will drive you crazy!!! (It's a really delightful site though)
Test Subject
#27 Old 23rd Nov 2008 at 7:07 PM
Maxis employees are secretly 4chaners.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 9:23 PM
Regardless of irregardless, I am glad it it fixed. I really can't stand to see obvious, very poor mistakes of the queens english. My mother used to tell me, when I was a child, "You are judged by your language." And that is so true.

"Um gonna get to one of them fancy eatin places now, and get a bite to et."

If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, then what about an empty desk?

My stuff may be used in uploads if 1. Credit is given, 2. link to my page provided. Happy simming!
McAlli's page
Forum Resident
#30 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 9:28 PM
Oh, and them is incorrect. We are talking about a singular cat here. Them is plural. So if you want to take out the name, the correction should read "you can use the phone to report him/her/it missing. Depending on what your take is on pets. Some people think they are its. But really him/her would be correct.

If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, then what about an empty desk?

My stuff may be used in uploads if 1. Credit is given, 2. link to my page provided. Happy simming!
McAlli's page
#31 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 10:33 PM
That`s one of my pet peeves, McAlli; thank you. Unfortunately, "it" is the only gender-neutral singular pronoun in the modern English vocabulary, and I suspect that the gender information is not readily available at the time that the dialog is generated.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 11:28 AM
Indeed, it isn't - there are no gender strings for popups, unlike job descriptions etc. Yes, I know that "them" is technically incorrect; but it's used so commonly that it grates on my nerves much less now than the repetition of the name does.

I considered using "it", but I get enough stick for using that pronoun for children already.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 7:03 PM
I find the use of 'them' much friendlier than 'it'. 'It' sounds like you are referring to an object and not a living creature. (Even if they are only pixels.)

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Test Subject
#34 Old 15th Jan 2009 at 1:06 AM Last edited by cheapie : 15th Jan 2009 at 1:07 AM. Reason: Typo
Are all your pets named after elevator companies?

Wouldn't want to see Schindler run away...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 15th Jan 2009 at 2:34 PM
Possibly, that was a random EAxian dog, I think from one of the premade families.

The few pets I've made have much more awesome names, although I'm working on principle there because it's been so long since I've played TS2 that I can't remember any of them.

Test Subject
#36 Old 15th Jan 2009 at 9:04 PM
I can has cheezburger?
Test Subject
#37 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 4:08 AM
That cat picture's fugly. Get with the times.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 4:33 PM
Good lord, that's beautiful. I just escaped a day's drinking and I am in exactly the right mood to say this:

So's your face!

Thanks

Test Subject
#39 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 3:41 AM
I've never actually had an animal run away in game so this is something I haven't noticed.

Then again, when I read the incorrect version my mind automatically fixed it to read correctly and at first I thought both pop up images read the same thing! :P

Anyway, I love the grammar Nazi's on this board so I'm just going to thank you despite the fact that I don't feel like downloading this. (I have too many files crammed into my game to begin with. LOL!)
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#40 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 1:11 PM
ooohhhh NICE! I think I'm gonna change my game to English and re-install pets only to try this xD Did you find Otis, btw? Thanks for this

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 7:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Daisie
No, it's "has run" because it's not simple past tense. It's... present perfect, I think?

Anyway, thanks for the fix.

"Ran" is past tense "run" is present .so the creater epic failed .

Every one should read this please read and repost it.http://www.womensweb.ca/violence/rape/index.php
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 2:57 AM
"Ran" is simple past tense, as Daisie stated, and indeed "has run" is present perfect. Either can be correct - present perfect suggests immediacy, as in he "has just run away", whereas simple past is more ambiguous (he could have run away at any time in the past). "Has ran" is just a bunny with a pancake on its head.

By the way, "could have run" is simple conditional. Oooh yeah.

(Yeah, I'm aware that I'm spending way too much time arguing this point, but language can be twisted one of two ways - a deliberate, artistic way which makes it a delight to read; or an awkward, unintentional way which is like nails on a chalkboard. )

#43 Old 26th Mar 2010 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
(Yeah, I'm aware that I'm spending way too much time arguing this point,
Says who?
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
but language can be twisted one of two ways - a deliberate, artistic way which makes it a delight to read; or an awkward, unintentional way which is like nails on a chalkboard. )
Right on! Have one on me:

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#44 Old 27th Jan 2011 at 6:19 PM
YOU ROCK!!! And I thought I was the only one who cared...
#45 Old 17th May 2011 at 6:08 PM
Wow. Maxis/EA should really sort out their grammer!
Field Researcher
#46 Old 11th Jul 2012 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Daisie
No, it's "has run" because it's not simple past tense. It's... present perfect, I think?

Anyway, thanks for the fix.

Nah, it's just one of English's stupid little inconsistencies. Like I before E except after C or as sounded in 'eigh' as in 'neighbor' or 'weigh'....or 'foreign.'" XDDD

Also, "they" is also technically incorrect, as it is a plural and we are technically referring to a single entity (a pet). (S)he is the legally correct way to do that, although no one cares. XD

~Sarah~
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#47 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 10:55 PM
what the freak is a vanilla package. Anyway thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mad Poster
#48 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 12:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vinyl_scratch
what the freak is a vanilla package. Anyway thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Usually the term "vanilla", when used in relation to The Sims, means the game is being run without any modifications. In this case it means the basic package that makes only the required alteration, as opposed to the SPACE PONIES version which also alters the second instance of the pet's name to "them".
I have no idea where "SPACE PONIES" comes from.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#49 Old 30th Dec 2012 at 8:22 PM
Thank you, this will be perfect for a grammar-nazi like me.
Test Subject
#50 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 1:44 AM
Default yes
Quote: Originally posted by sweetswami77
Well, what if my dog done runned off? What then? ;o)

If someone changed the wording to that ^^ I would love them forever, probably.

Or just change it to "your dog ran away" and drop the "has" because it's swirly redundant wording anyhoooo. Also, these posts are from years ago which makes me a weirdo.

Simming.
Page 2 of 3