Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#301 Old 18th Mar 2007 at 2:48 PM
Hi,

I've got a real big problem, I bought a website and I wanted to place my sims 2 downloads on that website, but they don't work at other computers. The object pictogram is is in the objectsbar in the game but if you click on it you can't place the object.
So do I have to do anything do make my objects downloadable?
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#302 Old 18th Mar 2007 at 3:49 PM
Before saying what you need to do we need to know what exactly is causing that problem. One major reason for not being able to place an object on a lot is because people don't have the required EPs for it. If you clone an object (even from the base game) with EP files selected on your SimPE file table, it may not be base game compatible. Numenor has more information on this in the sticky topic on the main Object Creation & Texturing forum.
Test Subject
#303 Old 23rd Mar 2007 at 2:35 AM
I have a question. I'm on Step #23 when I run into a problem. I've exported the endtable, un-checking the materials box and saving it with the same name SimPE gave me.

When I go back to Wings 3D to import the .obj export from SimPE, it is not there. I go back to SimPE to try and re-export it, but it already appears to be in the folder.

What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please view my Minisite at TSR
Lab Assistant
#304 Old 25th Mar 2007 at 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv
My pleasure. I have about 30 New Year's resolutions, and one of them is to keep this tutorial up to date. I will also start giving meshing and skinning private lessons for free. So if you want something more in-depth and personalized, PM me. Include your time zone and location (just a state or country) so I can plan accordingly. My time zone is GMT-5, location Massachusetts, USA.

hi my mod page is tacos and i have been following your tutorials i hope its ok to send you a message. ok here go's i read that you give lessons for meshing and something else im sorry i cant remember now but i wanted to sign up if its ok. i live in oklahoma usa and i think its around your time or close. and i have another question about your tutorials. ok i would like to make the pop can you made and i follow you first tutorial but im stuck on how to make just the cylinder. once i make it do i export it or do i need to scale it. im very new to this but i dont know how to do this alone yet. and also i know in the first tutorial you did the table. i did too but when i do the pop can i dont need to clone it from something else or do I? i know you have a life too so ill be waiting for you return letter. thank you for your time

tash

TASH

http://passionssims2com.page.tl/

my own website. check it out
The ModFather
retired moderator
#305 Old 26th Mar 2007 at 10:23 AM
BennyBoy - When exporting from SimPe, be sure that the file type is "Wavefront File (*.obj). And of course take good note of the location where you are saving the file to

Tacos - Mod_bv PM'ed me some months ago telling me that he was going to stop modding, and asking me to keep an eye to his tutorials. So, unless he changed his mind, you'll probably never receive a return letter.

As for your question, I don't remember that tutorial about a "pop can", but I can answer to your questions.

Before following the examples below, hit the space bar, so to deselect everything: this is important, because otherwise you could break up what you already made, and also because some options do't appear if you have something selected.

1) Making a cylinder: select the last pyramid (model selection mode), right click anywhere on the main window and choose "Cylinder".

2) Scaling down the cylinder (or any other mesh): select the last pyramid, left-click on the mesh you want to scale (it will turn red), right-click on it and choose one of the "Scale" options; you have these choices:
  • Scale uniform: this will scale the object while keeping its overall shape and proportions;
  • Scale Axis (then choose the axis: X, Y or Z): this will scale the object along one axis only; the object is deformed: for example, if you scale your cylinder by the X axis, you will notice that the top and bottom face will change from a circle to an oval. Scaling the cylinder by Y will change its height;
  • Scale Radial (then choose the axis: X, Y or Z): this is most useful with circular objects, like this cylinder; if you scale it by Radial Y, it will become thinner or fatter, but the top and bottom faces will stay circular (they are scaled but not deformed).
In your case, you should use a combination of Scale Radial Y (to make the cylinder as thin as a can) and then Scale Axis Y (to make the thin cylinder as short as the can).
Please note that as soon as you select one of the Scale options, you enter in "scale mode": moving your mouse will scale the object, until you click the left mouse button.

3) Cloning an object: select one of the objects from the Geomatry panel, on the right; right-click on its name and choose "Duplicate" (note: the clone will not be visible in the main window, because it's an exact copy of the existing object: you can see only one But of course there is a second identical object).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#306 Old 26th Mar 2007 at 10:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alektra (by PM)
I am trying to make a floor to ceiling window for the house I am building. Its really a basic frame so if I wanted to do it quicky I probably could. But I am kind of a perfectionist, so that won't do. I am making a plank, bevelled on one side. Got that so far as well as got it placed where I want it, and it was much easier to do than milkshape.

1: bevelling and any scaling. I am trying to "miter" the corners to 45 degrees and join them that way. I realize that there are "keyboard input" options to do this - what I can't figure out is what number to input to get the angle to 45 degrees.

Tutorials online are building way more complicated stuffs and none seem to go into something as basic as that. I mean I can eyeball the angle but surely there is a number I can put in which "scale .xx = 45 degrees from original", know what I mean? So I know what to do but the math is defeating me. I am an artist and never could do math. Is there some place I can find these numbers?

2: in many views (esp the 3d view) I can't get close enough to the object to see anything detailed. I can get very close on the Z view but I can't get close at all on the X view. It "fades out". Is there some way to fix this?

3: If I were to "cut out" a window sized hole in a huge wall-sized plank, would it automatically miter the corners? The wings site has a turbo speeded visual tutorial on building a doghouse which has windows, but it went so fast I was unable to figure out how they did that. It looked like inset but when I tried it I just got a big face, and no hole (dissolve deletes the face?)

I'm not sure to understand the problem of the 45° cut; or, at least, I would not create a window frame by creating 4 separated "sides", trimmed at 45° and joined together. Wings can do it automatically, if you follow a different procedure:

(NOTE: before selecting anything, always hit the space bar to deselect all; and then choose the pyramid that suits your needs: vertex, edge, face or model)

1) Let's start with a simple cube; Wings creates a cube with default dimensions 2x2x2; scale it down (scale - uniform) to 50% to have a 1x1x1 cube (select the mesh, right click, "scale - uniform", hit TAB and write "50");
2) let's scale this cube like a wall panel (which is 1 tile wide, by 3 tiles tall): scale Y by 300%; let's scale also Z by 20% (just to give standard dimensions, but you can choose any value you want for X, Y and Z...)
3) move up the "cube" by 1.5 tile, so to place the lowest face on the ground; you can either select the mesh, right-click, "move - Y", hit TAB and write "1.5"; or you can select the lowes face only and select the menu "Tools - Center - Y";

At this point you should have something like this:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/...07095541zb5.jpg

4) Now, let's create the "hole" into the plank: select the two widest faces (on the opposite sides, along the Z axis: you should select 2 faces in total), right-click and select "Inset"; move the mouse until you get a satisfactory result; in this example I've hit TAB and entered a value of 20% (I generally prefer to manually enter exact values, but it's not necessary).
You should have now something like this:
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/...07101320cx9.jpg
As you can see, the "45° cuts" are automatically created, but actually they are NOT exactly 45°: they are the best angle to fit the inset face: look at this picture, to see what I mean (don't do that now, it's just an example):
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/...07103651pv6.jpg
The trims are definitely NOT at 45°, but they are nevertheless what's best for your mesh.

5) And here's the "trick" While you have still selected the two opposite faces, as shown in the pic above, right-click and select "Bridge": Wings automatically creates a hole between the two faces, deletes the faces and creates the internal faces of the "hole".
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/...07101628bd6.jpg

6) This "tutorial" is basically over; you could now bevel the inner faces, by selecting them:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/...07101802lp9.jpg
...right-click and choose "Bevel", then move the mouse to get the desired result:
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/...07101935ck9.jpg

Instead of selecting the four faces, you can apply the Bevel on the inner edges:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/...07102225dj2.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/...07102248ex3.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

As for zooming in very close, I don't know if there is a parameter to stop or reduce that "cut-out" effect. You can get very close from any direction if you select a single vertex, in the middle of the area you want to inspect closer; then hit "A" to center the view on that vertex; then move the camera (middle-click) to the desired angle and lastly zoom in at will; this way, I can get very close to the object.

Quote: Originally posted by Alektra (by PM)
Thank you so much for the info that the cube is 2x2 (2x2 what?), I did not know that, but it certainly is useful to know in terms of being able to create a cube which has the correct height.

Good question 3D editors often don't explicit the measurement unit because you can't hit a button and create the object in the real world
For what we need, let's say that [b]the measurement unit adopted by Wings is the same as in the sims2: 1 "unit" in Wings is 1 "tile" in the game. Therefore, an object that in Wings is 3 units tall and 1 unit wide will look in the game like a standard wall panel (3 tiles tall, 1 tile wide).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#307 Old 26th Mar 2007 at 4:32 PM
in SimPE, the object workshop screen doesnt come up, and when it did, it didn't look like what it did in your tutorial.
Test Subject
#308 Old 26th Mar 2007 at 4:32 PM
in the very first one, i mean, about Wings and SimPE and the other one, i cant remember.
Test Subject
#309 Old 27th Mar 2007 at 2:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
BennyBoy - When exporting from SimPe, be sure that the file type is "Wavefront File (*.obj). And of course take good note of the location where you are saving the file to.

Thanks so much Numenor! I'm opening SimPE right now and will edit this post to show how it went.

Thanks again!
Ben

Please view my Minisite at TSR
Test Subject
#310 Old 27th Mar 2007 at 7:37 PM
Default Help me!!!
Thanks this has been so useful.
But when i clickz on the geometric thing nothing happened and it still looks the same as the screen in stage 12/13. ahhhhh
Part-time Hermit
#311 Old 27th Mar 2007 at 9:47 PM
pinkpink, go to Extra -> Preferences -> SimPE Settings and click Reset Layout.
Test Subject
#312 Old 28th Mar 2007 at 11:31 PM
Alright, I fixed my old problem, but I ran into a new one (my PC always seems to have problems with the Sims 2). On Step 23, under where it says "Blocklist" and "Filename," I have just empty space. Also, when I was getting a GUID, I had to make a username, but there was an error. Is this because there is no access to the internet on that PC (I'm on a different one now)? And is that why I don't have anything in that space, because I couldn't get a GUID? Is there a way to get one without access to the internet?
Part-time Hermit
#313 Old 29th Mar 2007 at 5:15 AM
You need internet access to get a GUID, yes. You can login to the SimPE website on another computer and register manually the amount of GUIDs you need, write them down, and then copy and paste them into the GUID field instead of using the "get GUID" button.
Test Subject
#314 Old 29th Mar 2007 at 7:58 PM
Please Clarify
OK, so let me get this straight: I log onto SimPE.com, register for free, get a GUID, and then it will give me a serial number or something that I can type into...where? And where is the GUID field and what am I supposed to copy and paste? Sorry I'm so clueless, I'm usually pretty good with computers but Sims 2 has always been a problem for me.
Part-time Hermit
#315 Old 29th Mar 2007 at 8:11 PM
You go to the SimPE site and to the GUID section. When you register, you get a block of GUIDs assigned to your username that you will use (I think there are over 200 GUID numbers in each block). After you have registered, in the GUID section of the site you can click on Register Object. Write into the Object Name field the name of the object you're making (the name is not that important, mostly just to keep track yourself which GUID was used for which object) and then click the Register Object button. The page that opens up will have a new GUID listed. Write down that number.

Then go to your other computer that you are making objects on, open the object package and the Object Data (if there are several Objecta Data, you need to get a separate new GUID for all of them), and write down the GUID number you got from the site to the field called GUID. Then click commit (do not touch the fields called Orig.GUID, Fallback GUID and so on). When it is the main GUID of the object (or the only one), you click "Update MMATs" and then the Commit button. In JWoods' object creation tutorial it is explained in more detail how to tell a main GUID from the others.
Test Subject
#316 Old 30th Mar 2007 at 4:23 PM
Help!
SimPE NEVER E-MAILED A PASSWORD FOR MY USERNAMES! I've tried three times now. The first time I thought I might have made a mistake in the e-mail address, so I tried it again with a different username. I still never got an e-mail, so a made another username and tried it with a different address, but I still never got an e-mail for any of the three.
Part-time Hermit
#317 Old 30th Mar 2007 at 8:16 PM
Did you check your junk mail folder, too?
Test Subject
#318 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 8:55 PM
I don't have one.
Part-time Hermit
#319 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 9:19 PM
Or it might be called Bulk folder or something similar, a folder where junk mail usually goes, and sometimes also email that's not junk. What kind of an email account do you have?
Test Subject
#320 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 1:03 AM
AOL account
Part-time Hermit
#321 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 7:21 AM
I don't know if it matters, but try getting a Yahoo or Gmail account, and see if it works then. I don't want to test it because I don't want to waste a GUID block that I think would be automatically assigned if I registered an account.
Test Subject
#322 Old 3rd Apr 2007 at 12:26 AM
I tried to import into the GMDC and it said "the index was out of range, and must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection
parameter:index" is there any way I can fix this? I coudn't ever get the original mesh to dhow up by my own mesh on wings so I could alter the sizes either.
Test Subject
#323 Old 4th Apr 2007 at 12:58 AM
It didn't work!
No offense, but your directions were a little confusing, IgnorantBliss. I got the e-mail finally but when I was putting the GUID # in the little box for GUID, it still needed internet connection to confirm or whatever. Did I do something wrong?
Part-time Hermit
#324 Old 4th Apr 2007 at 5:03 AM
You should not need an internet connection to confirm the GUID. You do not click the Get GUID link when you add it manually.
Test Subject
#325 Old 4th Apr 2007 at 1:07 PM
Right, I know, sorry. It's AFTER that. It all comes back to the same problem. On Step 23, under where it says "Blocklist" and "Filename," I have just empty space. There's a little ERROR window that pops up that says something like COULD NOT RETRIEVE INFORMATION and under that it says DESTINATION: http://www.sims.abertation.de/whate...bsite/name.html So I think when it comes to the bottom line, you need internet connection.
Page 13 of 18