Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 12:43 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Jan 2022 at 1:10 PM.
Since you keep having this issue - can you tell us how exactly you're importing the mesh? Could be you're skipping a step or don't have something enabled. Maybe you have the wrong version of Milkshape, SimPE or plugins, or something like that, and it can be an idea to get that fixed.

The tub looks like it doesn't have animated joints, and you've also removed the morphs - is that correct?

The mesh groups seem to be in the correct order for this one.

---------------

In Milkshape, you can reorder items/groups in the order you want them to show ingame, and they'll show up in the correct order if you import the GMDC via right-click/replace. Remember to click "commit" after reimporting.

You want the "back" layers at the top, and the "front" layers at the bottom in Milkshape. So shadows first, then whichever layers comes next. You can rearrange the layers with the up/down buttons in Milkshape.

(Layering groups properly can also be useful when working with layered transparency, as some meshes won't look right unless the groups come in the correct order)
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#27 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 10:42 PM
The first thing I see in the tub is that you have one gmdc resource and five gmnd. Did you delete them? You can't just delete resources without making the objects either not work or not work as expected.
Instructor
Original Poster
#28 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 5:20 AM
I cloned the bathtub from this so I deleted everything that didn't seem to be properly attached to anything. That was all fine and dandy, worked like a treat, all the animations were fine via Milkshape export until I updated the MMATs with the correct GUID (it wasn't recolorable because I'd forgotten to do that). Then it became unclickable.

As to how I'm importing via Milkshape--I create the individual parts in Blender, export the unmodified GMDC. Import it into Milkshape via Sims 2 Unimesh Import (not the split data one), replace the original parts with my meshes, then export using the same Unimesh Export command. Then in SimPE, I copy the original filename, click replace file, and select my exported option before verifying with an unmodified clone that I'm correctly assigning joints.

When it comes to the armoires that give the problem, it only seems to have that issue if I have cloned from an EAxis armoire. If I clone it from my first one (fixed for me by simmer22, actually) and follow the above Milkshape methods, it works just fine. Hence the confusion.

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#29 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 12:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deastrumquodvicis
I cloned the bathtub from this so I deleted everything that didn't seem to be properly attached to anything.

And that original had five gmdc's and gmnd. The things you deleted are connected to other things, and those are the ones that contain the bounding box info. So again, you can't just remove resources unless you know they are not connected to any thing else. I'd suggest you start your clone over and not delete things to see if it works.
Instructor
Original Poster
#30 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 11:30 PM
...yeah, that was a bit stupid now that I think about it. That still didn't work, though, cloning anew and reimporting GMDC and textures without deleting a thing.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  whirlpoolbath_MESH.zip (1.77 MB, 5 downloads)

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#31 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 4:46 AM
May I ask why "bathtub" isn't assigned to a joint? It should be Joint 0.

I'm also really wondering why you use Blender at all. I know some people like to use it but since you have to assign joints in Milkshape, it makes more sense to just make the whole thing in Milkshape. You can also check to make sure you have the right joints assigned to each mesh part while still in Milkshape - if you've already replaced the mesh in SimPE you can check just by clicking preview. (Might be handy to check the joints tab first and write down the info there.) Then click on each joint and the mesh part assigned to the joint will show.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 5:02 AM
^ I'd take a guess and say Blender was used for the meshing. Milkshape is not the easiest program to make meshes in (or UVmap for that matter). Personally I've used other programs to make meshes in since I started (at least for objects - body meshing is another can of worms, depending what you start out with).

How are you exporting the mesh from Blender by the way - what format?

And how are you assigning joints? In Milkshape, or in SimPE? If in Milkshape, are you also making sure to copy over the comments?

The water morphs in the old file seem to be non-existent, not sure if that was intentional or not. I'm not entirely sure how that water will behave ingame (it wasn't linked to a joint, so probably not animated in any way).
Instructor
Original Poster
#33 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 5:49 AM
I usually assign joints in SimPE, copying whatever was linked in the thing I'm cloning from (I usually have a backup version of the base object as reference), mostly because the joints are named in SimPE. Simmer22's right--I find Blender way easier to work with when it comes to meshing and UV mapping, particularly as I do a lot of conversions from other games and it's easier to mess with things like poly count and sharp edges. I then export to a UV mapped OBJ before bringing it into Milkshape and carefully editing names and so forth there. This method has served me fine when it came to editing armoires, though again in that case, in order to get it to work, I have to clone from an object that was fixed previously and not an EAxis item.

Looking at FatD's original corner tub, the only assigned joints in the fatd-cornertub_tslocator_gmdc are the water joints, but when I bring that package into my game unedited, it works fine. The fatd-cornertub__templatebathtub_tslocator_gmdc is the file with bounding mesh, but no joints, and the prior mentioned GMDC is the one with the joints but no bounding mesh. It seems to be some problem with how I'm exporting in MilkShape, though I can't figure out how I'm doing it wrong or what I'm even doing wrong, as I'm doing nothing any different than how I'd do it when cloning from my fixed armorie, which works fine.

Thanks again all of you for your help with figuring this out.

Mad Poster
#34 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 2:38 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jan 2022 at 5:15 PM.
Have you tried assigning the joints in Milkshape (before exporting out to SimPE)? That's what I do, and I've never had any issues with the Bounding Box. If anything is different between our methods, I'm guessing that's the thing.
(Make sure to also copy over comments from the original mesh groups)

The first tub didn't appear to be assigned to anything, and not the second version either (according to Mustluvcatz).

Can't say why the SimPE joint assigning appear to work for some meshes and not for others in your case (I don't use the SimPE assigning, and have never tried but I had heard of it, though more of as a casual mention of a function that exists rather than through tutorials. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some bugs related to it like there are with the bounding box tool, because that one tends to cause crashes for me too - could be a spesific order you need to do things in).
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#35 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 4:31 PM
I didn't even know you can assign joints in SimPE.
Instructor
Original Poster
#36 Old 17th Jan 2022 at 6:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Have you tried assigning the joints in Milkshape (before exporting out to SimPE)? That's what I do, and I've never had any issues with the Bounding Box. If anything is different between our methods, I'm guessing that's the thing.

I tried it and, sure enough, that did the trick for the bathtub and the treadmill. That's what I get for gettin' fancy with the spices.

Page 2 of 2