Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Baskerville -- Neighbourhood complete with lots

by plasticbox Posted 21st Jul 2007 at 12:27 AM - Updated 13th Jan 2015 at 4:15 AM by plasticbox

210 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 197 Feedback Posts, 12 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 9
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 10:02 PM Last edited by LaVieBoheme : 23rd Jul 2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: elaborating on issue
:!:
I decided to use the Baskerville terrain for another neighborhood, but when I went to delete all the shrubbery and plants in this new terrain, I found that each instance of a tree or bush had a duplicate directly on top of it that could be deleted. However, the tree/bush instance underneath its duplicate cannot be deleted or selected at ALL.

Is there a fix for this? Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 10:13 PM
Finally! I really wanted someone else to do this for me so that I could use HP's new names...

My eyes are just a little sweaty today.
They've been looking around a lot, searching for you,
They've been looking for you,
Even though I told them not to.

I'm Not Crying -- Flight of the Conchords
Top Secret Researcher
#53 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LaVieBoheme
I decided I wanted to turn the neighborhood into a lush terrain and made a new neighborhood without any lots but for some reason I can't seem to delete ANY of the shrubbery or trees! I can delete what appears to be a duplicate of each in the Baskerville 'hood, but once those duplicates are gone I can't even select the remaining ones.

Your problem, if I understood it correctly, exists in all neighborhoods, not just this one, but the new Seasons patch fixes it.

Anyway, it's awesome and fabulous and wonderful as always, plasticbox. Thanks! :D
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Daisie
Your problem, if I understood it correctly, exists in all neighborhoods, not just this one, but the new Seasons patch fixes it.

Anyway, it's awesome and fabulous and wonderful as always, plasticbox. Thanks! :D

Ah, but I already have that patch installed! D:
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 10:54 PM
LaVieBoheme,

I have never heard of this issue, sounds very odd. The sc4 terrain is (or at least, should be) completely blank except for the streets -- I've put no trees in it in SimCity, in other words. I have no idea where they come from, and I've never had this happen myself, neither with my selfmade terrains nor with the Maxis ones.

What exactly did you do, actually: did you make a new hood from the sc4 terrain, or did you try to delete the trees that are in the Baskerville-with-lots N513 neighbourhood?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 11:06 PM
Just to clarify a few things:

1. Looking at the download figures ... please be aware that if you download the N513 rar, you NEED the customcontent.rar! You can't possibly have all of it already, since there's a few wallpapers in it that I haven't published otherwise. If you're happy repainting and rebuilding, all is good, but I have a feeling that currently almost 1/3 of downloaders might be disappointed when things don't look like they should.

I really tried hard to cut down on CC and only use stuff that's of sparkling quality *and* makes a big difference; also I promise it's very nicely subfoldered so it won't be a big deal to sort out any duplicates. Please give the CC rar a try .. you won't regret it =).

2. As stated in the OP: I do lots, not sims or terrains or anything else .. yes it would be fun to do a complete custom hood with sims and all (in less than 10MB!), but that's a project for next year if at all. In the meantime, maybe someone else would like to try?

3. This obviously took a while to make, but it was not at all "hard work" -- it was lots of fun, and sharing it is even more fun! Firstly because it doesn't feel like such a waste of time if others can use it too, and also because now I'm really curious what's going to happen with it. If somebody does a story, for example, that plays in their version of Baskerville, or changes it and expands it, or anything else, I'd be very happy if you would post a link in this thread. Thanks in advance!

4. For the record: You can totally do what you want with this, from my point of view (which goes for all of my "work") -- but if you plan to redistribute any of it for whatever reason, please respect the wishes of the authors of the CC I've used. Direct links are in the OP, most of it is very file-share friendly anyway but please doublecheck. Thanks!

5. Also for the record, Baskerville is named after the town supposedly located on the beautiful island of San Serriffe but mysteriously missing on many maps.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#58 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 11:18 PM
I loaded and played your neighborhood last night, it was great! there was no problems I found. Plus I think there should be more complete neighborhoods like this one. I'll add my own people. I would love to learn how you did that so I can post my own!
Thank's again, papa_di
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by papa_di
I would love to learn how you did that so I can post my own!

It's not complicated, but it might take a little while =):

1. Get the clean templates from MATY (link in the OP) and install them
2. Temporarily remove all your CC (except perhaps a few build mode hacks)
3. Make a new neighbourhood
4. Build stuff
5. If you think you absolutely need a piece of CC add it back in (thus keeping track of what you actually use .. of course you can also write a list or something)
5. Every now and then, rar the neighbourhood folder to check whether the filesize is still within range (I should have done this more often)
6. Once you're quite happy with it: back up the neighbourhood in a safe place (FAR away from your game folder)
7. Playtest, make note of what you want to change, and throw your hood away
8. Put your backup back in your game and make your changes
9. Repeat steps 6–8 as long as you want (the better and more detailed your hood becomes, the more fun this will be =)
10. Once you're really happy with it: take a lot of screenshots of everything
11. Try to somehow reduce this pile of images to a manageable size
12. Finally, make a new neigbourhood next to your current one and move all lots over to that -- because sometimes, restaurant staff (I've seen cooks and I think hosts as well) is generated when you open a lot in build mode, contaminating your sparkling clean hood with character files and possibly other junk. I have no idea whether this really causes actual problems, but it can't hurt to make sure that the final version only has commmunity lots that you never entered (placing them from the lotbin doesn't do anything, only opening them, in my experience. Or perhaps, saving them. Not sure).
13. Decorate your hood
14. Sort out CC and texts and screenshots and rars and such
15. Upload

For SimPE users, it might be a lot more straightforward since you can just clean out the character garbage at the end I guess.

Test Subject
#60 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 12:25 AM
This is absolutely fabulous...Great work. How do you find the time? You are so good to us.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 12:53 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 11th Aug 2007 at 10:49 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by dementediva
...this makes me want to re-installl nightlife

Actually, I'd be interested to hear what happens when non-NL or non-OfB users try to use this. Because I'm able to open NL+OfB+Seasons lots with Seasons only, a lot of stuff is missing (half walls, cars, any objects/walls/floors that came with the EPs) but it doesn't crash and the basic structure of the lot is just fine.

I just don't know whether it makes a difference that I'm using the BaseGameStarter?

Test Subject
#62 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 2:09 AM
You're the best! I download only your houses nowadays. They look best in the game and are fun to play with. Your work is really amazing!
Test Subject
#63 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 3:07 AM
That's so cool!!!!

I like very much your work here

You're a king of house building

Thank you very very muche for your wonderful work !!!

Dany

Ð@₪¥
Test Subject
#64 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 3:38 AM
No one builds like you do. I download EVERYTHING.
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#65 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 3:49 AM
This is incredible! So much time and effort and careful planning must have gone into all of this... thank you so much! It's wonderful.

There's always money in the banana stand.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 5:20 AM
This is some awsome work
Great job

Faith Is The Substance Of Things Hoped For
The Evidence Of Things Not yet the Seen
And the belief in The Lord Jesus Christ
Test Subject
#67 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 7:01 AM
This looks like a cool neighborhood! I'll definitely download it... once I get Seasons. :P
Test Subject
#68 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 1:27 PM
I played the neighborhood last night and wanted to check back in to let you know that it works great!! Small enough that you can cram lots in side by side and not slow things down, but big enough to be a full neighborhood with plenty of families. The new lots you've provided are great. This one has replaced Strangetown as my desert 'hood. I hope you have future plans to do more projects like this one, because it looks great but is practical for gameplay purposes at the same time. Fantastic job.
Alchemist
#69 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 1:44 PM
Wow, I´m a fan of all your houses and this is a big treat for us!
A big hug and kiss for my favourite sims architect!
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 4:01 PM
I have been working on my own neighborhood aswell, but I am stuck in the part where I have to get the neighborhood + custom content out of the game and I fail to understand how.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 4:50 PM
You're a star, thanks for all the wonderful things you build!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 5:17 PM
blitzgal,

thanks for the in-game feedback =)

AmyMercury,

simply copy/move the folders to the desktop (or anywhere else outside the game folder).

Test Subject
#73 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 5:44 PM
Ah, San Seriffe! Do you by any chance remember the first sighting of this island (as reported in the Grauniad) back in the 70s one 1st April, Plasticbox? Good to see that WikiTravel picked up on the idea - I look forward to seeing the guide appear in the series that brought us Phaic Tan and the rest.

Meanwhile, once I've made my way through the 503s and 4kb/s downloads I can't wait to explore Baskerville. Huge thanks!
Test Subject
#74 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 7:41 PM
Wow! This neighborhood looks great If only i had Seasons

Still, I love all of your houses. I have just about every house from the backdoor lane set.

Don't mess with Saget
Instructor
#75 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 9:51 PM Last edited by simfan432 : 24th Jul 2007 at 10:03 PM.
how do we add the default townies to this hood?
Page 3 of 9