Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2013 at 6:31 AM Last edited by Ephy : 2nd Oct 2013 at 9:45 PM.
Default The wild Horse Challenge
If any of you were like me growing up... you had at least 5 horses figurines... 1 or 2 with manes and tail you could actually brush.. and the rest frozen in time prancing. Regardless, imaginations ran wild. With this challenge I'm hoping to capture the fantasy of the wild herd in all our imaginations and bring these beasts to life.

To Start:
BEST mods are: I cant remember the name but it stops animals from running home automatically (especially in this case, horses.)
Mod which stops automatic run around, stops horses from running miles on end for no reason
Another good mod was the horses sleep on the ground mod.

Chose a world with NO roads. NONE. It makes for better game play...
Empty worlds are your best friend.... you'll soon realize why.

To Start: As in all wild horse herds... there is a magnificent stallion. He is strong, confidant, aggressive. -> You must chose to create 1 male Horse. (He CAN LOOK WHATEVER WAY YOU WANT) He must be of the largest build, muscular and wild (think long flowing manes and tails, fluffy hooves, horse beards etc etc) This is YOUR AVATAR.

in your world.. you are allowed to create only:
1) your home LOT = ONLY a breeding stable ( oNE SPACIOUS PLOT WITH A STABLE WHICH WILL ONLY BE USED FOR BREEDING)
2) 2-3 sizable garden lots ALL OVER THE MAP = by description ( tree plants are located in one place...mushroom varieties are located in another lot..... alchemy herbs located separately....)
DO not put all plant options into each lot... break them up according to whatever theme suits you

Try to arrange your lots so that your herd MUST be on the move daily in order to meet their needs. If you are able to exist on 1 lot with your herd then you are cheating... be realistic. Perhaps one lot is strictly grazing, the other is only water... 1 lot accomplishes racing.. the other jumping... one lot only has fresh water. Try to be realistic.. a horse herd is always on the move.. you want to reproduce this in your game.

3) if your world has a beach/ocean front . you must create ONLY 1 pure water or fresh water source for your horses ( horses can not live off salt-water) and THIS LOT MUST NOT HAVE ANY PRODUCE ON THE LOT!
4) If your world does NOT have a fresh water source.. you CAN drink Sea water, however, EVERY ACTION AFTER (SOCIAL ) MUST BE DELAYED BY 3 days ( think of your sim as sick = he can not win a dice roll... he can not socialize.. he cannot seduce other.. he is a lonely depressive male.)
5) Create a lot with horse physical tests/exercises (one lot can be only jumping.. the other only racing..) make it very basic. You must NOT accomplish 2 goals on the same lot, and therefore may only accomplish 1 goal per day.

6) You must/may ONLY seduce 1 mare to join your herd every 2 POINTS of jumping or racing your stallion achieves. (OR every 2-3 days if your horse must drink salt water..with zero skill leveling in the process - if your stallion gets sick right away without any skills.. you MAY NOT seduce a mare into your herd.. you will have to acquire the skills first in order to unlock this ability) YOU MUST NOT ACCEPT ANY OTHER HORSES. UNTIL YOU MEET THE REQUIREMENTS.
7) As the leader of your herd you only want females.... you must fight young males. You can do this by dice rolling ( which ever horse rolls the lowest must walk away from the herd or the main stallion can kick out any young male horses once they reach their young adult age - this can also be the start of another heard....I.E young male leaves the heard and tries to create his own heard family)
8) Your want to keep the best of your male offspring with the highest traits being( bravery, adventures, loves outdoors, family oriented etc) You can do so.. by either selecting ONE of your male offspring *(once you pick your heir... you CAN NOT go back on your decision) as the male stallion to continue your herd... OR... you have the option to create a new herd from a male offspring (taking in whatever new random horse is populated) and then dice rolling against the other to claim ownership.
If you attempt to run your herd from one location (your stallion must lead your herd) and a mare or colt gets left behind.... you must DELETE the lost horse and punish your stallion by either reducing his skills by 2 or waiting 6 days before he can try to befriend a new horse to join his herd. Essentially he failed as provider and protector and therefore he must learn his lesson.

If you want to make it harder, you can make mares develop skills before they are able to reproduce. 2 skills = 1 colt
Also... If colts or mares have terrible traits - you should delete/kill these colts and mares because they are too weak to survive. Survival of the fittest.

ADVANCED VERSION: All young males horses once turned into young adults... roll a dice against current Leader Stallion. Higher Dice rolls mean..young stallion takes over (and begins skill building and unlocking herd abilities all over again) Senior Stallion leaves herd...
Advanced Advanced... 1 of 2 options =
1) New younger stallion if wins dice rolls MUST regain relationship with mares in the herd and then populate with them
OR
2) Senior Stallion leaves herd WITH Mare companions (lovers etc) and young male stallion must re-build his own herd once he's acquired the necessary skills to do so - see above.

RULES:
I hate counting scores... so if you have a legit system.. please share?
There must NOT be 2 male young adult horses in 1 herd at a time.... but there can be child horses/youth horses, as soon as they age up.. they must either replace the herd leader (by dice) or create their own herd.. which does not mean stealing mares from the original herd ( NRAAS story progression is awesome when it comes to populating a world with animals.. you can even select how many - I suggest 5 at a time)
Your Stallion must EARN his mares. He can not be strong enough to protect his herd if he does not have the skills. You may ONLY level 1 HORSE a DAY for 1 LEVEL, whether it is racing or jumping etc,,
Stallions MUST have 1 jumping, or 1 racing, or 1 athletic skill BEFORE HE can seduce any wild mares into his herd (you can then use cheats to add mare to family)
Stallions may only seduce mares into their family once every 3 additional skill points ( 2 racing + 1 jump, etc)
IF your stallion happens to seduce a horse which turns out to be male... you MUST roll a DICE... HIGHER roller takes over herd... loser make must be immediately rejected and cast out from herd ( it can be confusing to find out the gender of wild horses... your goal is to befriend them until you are certain and then act accordingly. Males "fight to the death" - by dice roll... females.. must first meet Stallion objectives before they can be invited to herd and then impregnated.

There is so much to think about in this challenge.. Iv'e done it before a long time ago. and I am attempting it again. If anyone has any tweaks.. or concerns or ideas please shout out!

Load your stallion onto a plain lot (empty) and create a spot for a stable (for breeding)
Set your stallion into the world. if you have NRAAS progression you can control what immigrates... turn off all people, celebrities, dogs, cats, only accept horse immigration into the world. Deer immigration can make the game much harder as they will eat the produce on your lots you should have at least 3 deer immigration into your world to keep this challenging.

If you must load with a sim and your horse -> use testingcheatsenabled true to delete your sim. and allow your horse to rule.

Your horse may graze anywhere and at anytime
Your horse may drink any fresh water whenever.
Your horse can entice other horse strays to join your guild/..
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Oct 2013 at 6:32 AM Last edited by Ephy : 2nd Oct 2013 at 10:07 PM.
For those points counting people I came up with this really quick (its my first try at this so be nice please )

Score 5 points for every skill point your mares develop
Score 2 points for every skill point your stallion achieves
Score 10 points for every mare you successfully bring into your herd with good survival traits
Score 15 points for every colt that is born with good survival traits

Remove 25 points for every colt that is deleted because of bad traits, or is lost /left behind while moving the herd
Remove 15 points for every mare that is deleted or kicked out, or is lost /left behind while moving the herd
Remove 50 points every time your stallion fails to roll the dice high enough to keep his herd and must then start all over again. Losing all mares and colts to the new stallion

How to win:
Bring in at least 3 good mares - or 4 if you can turn off household limitations
Have at least 4 good colts born which survive to adulthood
Survive at least 1 year and achieve all goals - score 100 points

How to lose:
Keep losing your herd. stallion loses on all dice rolls and runs out of time ( 1 year)
Stallion dies
After 1 year points are in the minus

(i'll try to think of more )

Also in the winter months it can be very hard to feed your horses - Options : Number all your lots in whatever way you want. Every 2 days, roll the dice and place 1 stack of hay on the lot that is rolled. Repeat.

Ideas, comments (nice ones please) appreciated
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Oct 2013 at 9:02 PM Last edited by Ephy : 2nd Oct 2013 at 9:46 PM.
No one interested? Oh well...

Here are some pics of my wild horse herd.. Sorry if the first picture is so large.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Here is my stallion on the right and his first mare.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Standing guard over his tiny herd through the night. IF there is no source of water on your lots, rain puddles work well. (early into my challenge I had water sources and produce but I've realizes this makes the challenge way too easy.

[IMG] [/IMG]

My Stallion is challenged by a rival male which wandered onto the lot trying to take over the herd. My Stallion won the dice roll and kept his herd.

[IMG] [/IMG]
The mares settle down for a cold winter night, while the stallion always keeps close by and watches over them.
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 6:03 AM
wow! i would LOVE to do this challenge, only problem is i dont have a dice (but i can make one so no biggie) also,i dont think i would keep points but i might. i will DEFIANTLY write the rules down, thanks for the idea of this challenge! <3
Test Subject
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 6:17 AM
Man, I love this! <3 My friend and I also played with her horses when we were little, so this is pretty cool. Can't wait until I reinstall Pets EP.
Test Subject
#6 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:12 AM
This challenge is so cool, as soon as I read it I started it :lovestruc . My stallion Eclipse (http://lvlt.thesims3.com/sims3_asse...ot_original.jpg) has 2 mares, ( http://lvlt.thesims3.com/sims3_asse...ot_original.jpg and http://lvlt.thesims3.com/sims3_asse...ot_original.jpg ) and they are living on the move. The mares are both expecting foals . And I can't wait to find more mares to expand the herd. The one problem is I don't have mods so I can't do the dice rolling but I haven't ran into another stallion yet so that's good.
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 4:00 AM
I'm actually thinking of doing this challenge but no else is
Test Subject
#8 Old 5th May 2015 at 10:02 AM
A nice addition to this is having the "Broodmare Belly" mod for this challenge, although it may not work for different reasons, that I have not seen yet, but their could be problems as I have heard from people.
Instructor
#9 Old 7th May 2015 at 8:37 PM Last edited by Luckk : 7th May 2015 at 9:32 PM.
[ Okay, so I've been wanting to do this for a while and I finally got going! Let's follow the Dry River Herd and hope everything goes well. I'm also posting it on my Simblr, which will probably be updated faster than here.
suchasimblr.tumblr.com ]

Wild at Heart, a Mustang that strangely carried the white gene, has his own rather large territory that was placed under protection with 24/7 surveillance.

However, Heart isn't a loner and would be seen leaving to enter other areas, mostly looking for any mares. He's a natural performer and can be quite cocky. While on the search for more herd mates he'd often run into other stallions.

However, with his leader mentality, it doesn't bother him a bit. He simply moves on. However, this area caught his eye; a stallion with a silver dapple dun mare.

Test Subject
#10 Old 25th May 2015 at 10:03 PM
I think this challenge is awesome! I am totally doing it! :D
Field Researcher
#11 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 3:21 PM Last edited by Simlover7114 : 5th Jun 2015 at 7:20 PM.
Alright, I actually have never tried a challenge of this sort, but I love playing horses on Sims and I have got to try it... It'll be a nice break from my other challenges, I'll post updates onto this until somebody else posts. I'll also make sure to post some pictures of my herd and my stallion... Quick question though, how do you tell if another horse is a stallion or mare? That was something I didn't understand. If you could help me out that'd be awesome.

Update 1: Captain Jack, that is my stallion (sorry I can't really put up the pictures so they'll be below.) He has currently gained 3 skill points in racing and has began searching for a new mare to add to his tiny little herd of 1. He found another little herd that has 3 horses whom he figured out were 2 females and 1 male. He challenged the male and won, taking over his herd. (that can happen right? I assumed it could since it could happen before. I mean, it was only Jack that was a new stallion anyway, he never actually found a mare to follow him yet... So that's what I went with, of course he has to befriend them too...

Update 2: Wow this is turning out harder than I thought. Within the first several nights (4-5) Jack has managed to mate with both of his mares, and let them fall pregnant, and has fought 2 wild stallions who came near. (All stallions have feathering on their legs while mares do not) Also, while they were out to find their food source, a garden with 6 plants, they came to find a new herd was already there and had eaten up all their produce. Once the other herd left Jack entered the garden and saw that several of the delicious plants were destroyed by the rival horses and their piggy ways. But no matter, they'll continue on, searching for something better. Jack also came to see a lonely colt wandering far from any other herd, but it was a male. It looked strong even for a colt. And Jack was determined to not let it best him when it grows. It stayed out there in the middle of the rolling fields.
Edit: After doing some scanning of the map, the colt ended up being one of two that lived on a sizeable lot not far from the garden... hmm.
Screenshots

"900 years of time and space, and I have never met someone who wasn't important."
Instructor
#12 Old 2nd Jul 2015 at 9:04 AM
It's been a while! Hey everyone~ I have quite the update on the Simblr [Suchasimblr.tumblr.com ]
Such as the herd gets quite a bit bigger, so go check it out for updates and to learn who this horse is.

Test Subject
#13 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 1:57 AM
i saw this and thought it would be awesome to try out. is it possible to do this without mods? oh yea i was reading above and wasn't sure how to lead the herd? if this is possible to do without mods i would luv to learn more. or even with mods im interested too would luv to do this challenge!!
Instructor
#14 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 6:00 PM
You can control the horses directly, no need to lead. When I have the heard move about I just take the stallion and "Go Here With..."
Unless you want your household to be limited to a small number, you'll want a mod to increase household size.
Also, with adding horses, you can use testingcheatsenabled and simply add them but I've had issues with that in the past so I keep a human around to use to adopt them into the herd.