Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th May 2020 at 8:41 AM
Default Downloads from Different Games in "Related Downloads"
I realize MTS doesn't really have the manpower to make core fixes to the site right now, but I'm throwing this out there anyways, just in case.

When I click on related downloads currently, it displays results from all three games, regardless of what my personal profile says I own, and regardless of what download I'm currently browsing. The titles also give no hints as to which game it will link to.
It used to be my favorite way to skip around the site, but now it's clogged with TS4 stuff.

Again, no pressure or anything, just thought I'd mention it. Thanks for keeping this good ol' site up and running. <3
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 27th May 2020 at 3:13 PM
I've noticed that too and I agree with everything mentioned by AlfredAskew. It's a totally good thing to mention, even if nothing can be done immediately. I had forgotten about it that quickly, so thanks for reminding me not to use that feature right now.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#3 Old 29th May 2020 at 1:49 PM
The issue was that "Related Downloads" was generated and cached every so often - it's not a personal recommendation, because to generate those lists is actually quite computationally heavy on the site (as any recommendations-like system is).  So it basically runs a script that looks for all possible recommendations and stores that.  

With that said, I've adjusted the code so that it only looks for related downloads within the same game - ie TS2 downloads will only ever show other TS2 recommendations, TS3 only shows TS3, and so on.  It does not take into account anything personal though - so it doesn't know that you don't have a specific download pack, but that's way beyond the systems limitations anyway

I've triggered a cache refresh, so you should now start to see the correct per-game recommendations populating as from now.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 30th May 2020 at 2:16 AM
Thank you, it is appreciated!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
The issue was that "Related Downloads" was generated and cached every so often - it's not a personal recommendation, because to generate those lists is actually quite computationally heavy on the site (as any recommendations-like system is).  So it basically runs a script that looks for all possible recommendations and stores that.  

With that said, I've adjusted the code so that it only looks for related downloads within the same game - ie TS2 downloads will only ever show other TS2 recommendations, TS3 only shows TS3, and so on.  It does not take into account anything personal though - so it doesn't know that you don't have a specific download pack, but that's way beyond the systems limitations anyway

I've triggered a cache refresh, so you should now start to see the correct per-game recommendations populating as from now.

I didn't see this response when you posted, but I saw an immediate and noticeable improvement -- I almost thought I'd imagined it ever being different. xD
Thanks so much! This is a perfect little fix.
Test Subject
#6 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 12:29 AM
I know this thread was back in May, but I'm currently facing the exact same issue with the site today, not sure if anyone else is?
Test Subject
#7 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Classiadrin
I know this thread was back in May, but I'm currently facing the exact same issue with the site today, not sure if anyone else is?

I am. Kinda new too issue too.
No matter what I do it seems to give me all three games.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 2:46 AM
First of all, glad you're back online!

Second, this seems to be happening to me, too. I normally only look at Sims 4 stuff, but it's showing everything, even though I specifically click "Sims 4 > Downloads" at the top of the site.

Is another refresh needed (since it's apparently happened before, according to earlier posts)?

~*~ Star light, star bright, I am Starry Might! ~*~
Instructor
#9 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 2:57 AM
Yeah since the maintenance ended, every upload is visible, even when filtered by game.
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 4:43 AM
I just noticed this happening to me today too. Yesterday was fine.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 7:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Stefanina
I just noticed this happening to me today too. Yesterday was fine.

I also have this problem. The filters don’t work. I have them set to show only Sims 4 items but no matter what I do I get all three games. This has only just happened today.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#12 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 8:07 AM
Should be fixed now!  Apologies for that.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 8:14 AM

Just tried it and it’s fine. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 1:15 PM

It is, thanks!

~*~ Star light, star bright, I am Starry Might! ~*~
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#15 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 10:03 PM
Changed thread category to Solved/Answered
Test Subject
#16 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 12:28 AM

Thank you!!