Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Mar 2020 at 1:58 PM
Custom Installation Instructions Difficult to Find/See
Perhaps other creators/downloaders can relate to this? Several of my mods require that files be placed in special directories... I remember with the classic MTS design the installation instructions had their own dedicated tab at the top of the page. However, this new redesign that was implemented a couple years ago has moved custom instructions in to a tiny, grey button beneath the file downloads. Ever since that change was made, nobody can seem to locate the instructions that are referenced in my downloads. I shouldn't have to put them in the main body of text, but it's looking like that may be what I have to do until we can get installation instructions made more clear for the less technically-inclined users of the site. Hopefully this can be taken in to account. Thanks!
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2020 at 3:41 PM
Well, judging by your comments I wouldn't say nobody can find them. . But yes you have a point - back then the entire install instructions was in a tab, but analytics showed that nobody actually clicked on it, and most people already knew how to install things, hence the move.

However, saying that, it doesn't apply to *custom* installs. So, to help with that, I've added a dialog box above the files list when a download contains custom install instructions, that has the actual full custom instructions visible. This should help with people who can't find them.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2020 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
Well, judging by your comments I wouldn't say nobody can find them. . But yes you have a point - back then the entire install instructions was in a tab, but analytics showed that nobody actually clicked on it, and most people already knew how to install things, hence the move.

However, saying that, it doesn't apply to *custom* installs. So, to help with that, I've added a dialog box above the files list when a download contains custom install instructions, that has the actual full custom instructions visible. This should help with people who can't find them.

That was... incredibly quick! And yes, I may have exaggerated a bit. Just a bit frustrating checking on my comments after a few months and seeing a bunch of "It didn't work!", or "How do I install this?". Thank you for listening as usual!
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2020 at 9:16 PM
Changed thread category to Solved/Answered