Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#21926 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Romeo will be aging into an elder in one day

Oh, if they're aging to elder then this will be the last "grow up" memory either of them receives, so you might as well go and switch the order in SimPE. Or not, if it seems too much bother.

Out of curiosity, what was your old playstyle and how does it differ from your new one?
Advertisement
Scholar
#21927 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
Oh, if they're aging to elder then this will be the last "grow up" memory either of them receives, so you might as well go and switch the order in SimPE. Or not, if it seems too much bother.

I'll probably do that at the end of the entire Uberhood round, I just have to write it down. And remember to switch the memories for General Buzz unless he dies before then. Unless you mean change their days left? In which case that would make their ages incorrect with everyone else in the Uberhood, aha.

Out of curiosity, what was your old playstyle and how does it differ from your new one?

My old playstyle was a mess but a fun mess, lol. I had the normal Maxis aging system, I had immortal elders with children that died of old age, babies and children that never aged up at all, multiple Sims had the same names without me realizing it, siblings ages were inconsistent so the eldest was sometimes the youngest etc, none of the houses were "synced" with the Seasons, I had mostly Knowledge and Family Sims, I fulfilled the Wants I was interested in, list goes on My current playstyle was kinda inspired by stories I read here on MTS & PleasantSims' page. My aging system I made myself but I think I'll change it in the future. Babies are default age, Toddlers have 6 days, Children have 9 days (PlantSim Toddlers get the same), Teens have 8 days, YA have 8 days, Adults have 36 days (PlantSim Adults have 39), Elders have random. I follow Zodiac Signs to determine the Aspirations of the born in-game Sims. I use a Secondary Aspiration Calculator to calculate a Sims' Secondary Aspiration. I have rules regarding Matrimonial and Patrimonial families. I follow the Wants/Fears and Hobbies a lot more now. The only thing I kinda left the same is College. I used to send them to the Uni hoods near enough at the beginning of their teens and let them do what they wanted in College whilst I focused on their 4.0 GPA with cheats... Now I do Uni at home instead and the teens go to Uni when they have 4 days remaining. Instead of the 72 hours, they have 24 hours. I choose the degree I want my Sims to have unless they roll the Want for one before I decide. They enjoy the College life, I just choose their GPA which actually doesn't seem to work since they always get A+ even though I set them for a C+ ...
Mad Poster
#21928 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 3:09 AM
Unless you mean change their days left?

I meant changing the order of the "grew up" memories.

Dang tho, your old playstyle sounds messier than any I've ever had, and I used to play without any regard to "rotations" because it had never really occurred to me until I started noticing that different households were the wrong ages in relation to one another. Now that I've tried rotational play and proportional ages, though, I really could never go back. It sounds like maybe you made too many rules so now it's not as fun as it could be? I've never really understood having a set order in which lots must be played, and my sims get the grades they earn (which, okay, still end up being A+s, because even with shorter semesters Uni is ridiculously easy). I guess everyone needs to find a balance between order and chaos. I need a certain amount of order in my game, so I keep making rules for "logic and sanity". Sometimes I go too far and over-complicate things, so I have to dial it back a bit.
Scholar
#21929 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 3:25 AM
I meant changing the order of the "grew up" memories.

Gotcha! I'll write this down or else I'll forget.

Dang tho, your old playstyle sounds messier than any I've ever had, and I used to play without any regard to "rotations" because it had never really occurred to me until I started noticing that different households were the wrong ages in relation to one another.

But boy was it fun!!

It sounds like maybe you made too many rules so now it's not as fun as it could be?

I'm not sure what rule to remove though. I could probably try loosening up how I play the households in order but I'm worried about the memories not making sense. I'm not sure why. So far throughout my current Uberhood, memories have been consistent with each other despite the Aging Up ones. I thought about trying a shorter rotation but then it feels too short. I'm still trying to figure out a suitable age for my elders since at the beginning, they started dropping like flies too fast, for example, some died before their children even graduated Uni let alone have their own kids!!! And now they're living too old!! Their grandkids are adults and starting their own families for crying out loud. I know this happens in real life but I'm not used to seeing it happen in my Sim world. My best example for this is Daniel & Mary-Sue Pleasant. Lilith just aged into an Elder and is a couple of days into her elderhood and Mary-Sue and Daniel are still alive! I haven't reached Angela yet because she's at the end of the Pleasantview rotation which is the 8th Subhood. So her twin sister is old and she's still young.
Field Researcher
#21930 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 3:43 AM
I'm still trying to figure out a suitable age for my elders since at the beginning, they started dropping like flies too fast, for example, some died before their children even graduated Uni let alone have their own kids!!! And now they're living too old!!

Same! I guess that's why there's the "met new great-grandchild" memory mod.
Scholar
#21931 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 3:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkdynamite
Same! I guess that's why there's the "met new great-grandchild" memory mod.

Glad you mentioned that, actually! That will probably help me out a lot in that regard! Thanks! :D
Field Researcher
#21932 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 3:55 AM Last edited by pinkdynamite : 18th Jan 2020 at 5:51 AM. Reason: typo
Glad you mentioned that, actually! That will probably help me out a lot in that regard! Thanks! :D

No problem! The first time I saw that mod I thought "wow, those sims would have to live for a long time." Then I remembered that none of my sims ever end up dying, so...
Scholar
#21933 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 4:38 AM
I'm at my wit's end!! Two of my sims keep attacking each other at home and their reputations keep going down, and I swear that reputation only changes on actions with a community lot! They're both upstanding citizens who just hate each other! If this is a mod, how do I find it by what it modifies, because I can't find it by title. If now, how do I mod it out?
Mad Poster
#21934 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 4:43 AM
Reputation definitely isn't just affected by actions on a community lot. Most of my sims don't do much community lot socializing but they all have their reputation maxed by the time they graduate from college.
Mad Poster
#21935 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 5:12 AM
I could probably try loosening up how I play the households in order but I'm worried about the memories not making sense.

But isn't your current issue that with your current system they already don't make sense? I'm probably not the best person to tell anyone what rules to get rid of since my owl list of rules is so long I can't find anything (and I'm still adding to it), but I have also come up with rules and then later decided I didn't like them or that they weren't working. Basically I would say anything that isn't working for you is something you should consider changing. So far as memories go, I feel like my own system keeps things relatively good in that area since I never play any household for much more than a day before switching to another household, so the entire hood stays on roughly the same day forever. If that makes sense? I think memories was one of the reasons I decided to play that way; I wanted memories of births/deaths/etc to be (somewhat) consistent from household to household, and the only way I could think to do that was to avoid letting any household get too far ahead or behind any others.

I might be misunderstanding, but are you playing each household for 7 days before switching to another?
Field Researcher
#21936 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 5:54 AM
Here's a question for everyone: how many days do you set for each season and why did you choose that length?
Mad Poster
#21937 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkdynamite
Here's a question for everyone: how many days do you set for each season and why did you choose that length?

5, because it was the default. I have considered making seasons longer (7 days) but it just feels like too much hassle, and also the MTS calendar assumes 5-day seasons. I do not think I would like shorter seasons since then the seasons would feel like they were over before they even began.
Mad Poster
#21938 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 6:02 AM
5 days, because I use the MTS calendar.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#21939 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 6:18 AM
I have a slightly modified agespan where adults and elders live for a bit longer, so I have 7 day seasons to fit it better.
Mad Poster
#21940 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 6:28 AM
Oh, that's another interesting question... What agespans do you all use? I decided long ago that I really cannot use the default one and then much more recently decided that since babies absolutely cannot be babies for less than 2 days, I might as well save myself a lot of headache and just go double lifespan. Had to replace my 1-day pregnancy with a 2-day version. I find I like the 2-day one much better since the sims have a bit more time to be out and about while pregnant, I get a few more pics, and the whole thing feels more real. Still have to work out the age lengths for the double lifespan, but I'll need SimPE to do that and I've been holding off on diving into that particular pool. I really like proportional aging with sim ages matching up as much as possible with human ages. Only real wrench in the works is university, but one-day semesters would just...not be fun. 2-day semesters work for me. Ah, well. I'm not gonna quadruple the life span just so it'll match up nicely with uni. Maybe a "semester" is actually a "year," and they're all getting graduate degrees. That could work, I think.
Mad Poster
#21941 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 6:40 AM
I use TwoJeffs' Age Duration Hack, which adds randomness based on aspiration levels to the (longer) adult lifespan (I think it can be anywhere from 30 to 42 days, compared to 29 days for everyone) and make the elder lifespan much shorter in addition to the randomness. I have two-day semesters and everyone who's not a YA ages once every two days on campus. Unfortunately, pregnancies on campus don't last twice as long, which means that right now I'm dealing with married family sim YA + twins perk + pregnancy only takes half as long as babyhood = potentially four babies at the same time during college.
Mad Poster
#21942 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 7:00 AM
Stuff like that is exactly why my YAs all use 100% effective BC
Mad Poster
#21943 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 7:10 AM
I actually love that my sims can have kids at college now. It makes college much less boring and makes it more likely for the great-grandchild memory hack to actually get some use. But normally sims meet their spouse during college, and don't have time to have that many kids. This time, we have two marriages involving three sims, two of whom are family sims and two of whom are female, and they all got married as soon as they moved to college. Argh, family sims.
Mad Poster
#21944 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 7:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
don't have time to have that many kids.

How many kids do you want? My sims generally aren't allowed more than 3-4 kids, but even without doubling the lifespan..and even without twins...and even with limiting pregnancy chance to just one "fertile day" per season and with enforcing "menopause" 5-19 days before Elderhood, even my "unlucky" sims could have managed seven kids. Throw in a Family sim's fertility boost aspiration perk, and you'd get enough children to turn your hood into a ball of fire visible from space.
Mad Poster
#21945 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 7:42 AM
The absolute most kids anyone in my neighborhood has had has been 8, so far, with one set of twins and one illegitimate child. Most sims get around 3, family sims get more, and sometimes so do romance or pleasure sims who I see as being "careless". Usually no one has kids in college except for family sims, as ACR doesn't make them try for baby there, so all the un-wanted babies in college are accidents from risky woohoo or alien abductions. So far, no one has had more than two kids while they were at college, but this is about the change because of the damn family sims, lol. In general, sims only try for baby if they actually want a baby, or if ACR makes them. Rarely. I want a baby for story purposes, but usually it comes down to the sims.
Mad Poster
#21946 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 7:51 AM
In my 'hood, Samantha Ottomas has seven kids. She actually rolled a fear of having more children following the birth of the quads.

Dora Ottomas rolled a want for more grandkids. WTF, grandma?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Field Researcher
#21947 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 9:06 AM
I play one day rotations and I randomize which household to play next. Keeps in the variety and doesn't make me stick too long with the 10 kids Goth household. That's absolutely the most kids any sim of mine ever had. I wasn't paying attention to Alexander and Kelly last time and their risky woohoo made them pregnant with an 11th one. Joy! Also, they already had 3 of their now 10 kids in college, so that was an experience.

I already locked the 'Have 20 Grandchildren' want for Kelly, not expecting her to get pregnant again but alas, it happened. The oldest kid is in college now and the youngest is still a baby. One positive thing: they're all rather close in age, so they'll all go off to college around the same time (which is right about now).

I like it that my sims can get pregnant in college. Not all of them do, but it's realistic that at least some of them have kids.
Mad Poster
#21948 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 12:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
I'm at my wit's end!! Two of my sims keep attacking each other at home and their reputations keep going down, and I swear that reputation only changes on actions with a community lot! They're both upstanding citizens who just hate each other! If this is a mod, how do I find it by what it modifies, because I can't find it by title. If now, how do I mod it out?

If I remember correctly, reputation in an un-modded game should only be affected by community lot actions. I was having the same problem as you and it was driving me nuts. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Pescado's community lot skilling mod made reputation changes possible on residential lots, so I replaced it with Squinge's version.
Scholar
#21949 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 3:20 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH. That was it! I should really RTFM... (Unless it was a hidden feature, like Pescado likes to do.)
Field Researcher
#21950 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 4:37 PM
pinkdynamite:
I play weekly rotations and I try to keep my households in synch by having all of them in the same season. That gets kind of f-ed up a little when I have sims moving out because it's always summer and Monday in their new house and I haven't found how to play around that but someday I'll manage that too!
When I started to play the sims 2 (6 years ago!) I came from the sims 3 where my sims have the epic lifespan and my young adults never have the chance to even age up to adult. So, sims 2 was very frustrating for me back then and I made total... abuse of the elixir to age my sims down. Then I "discovered" the Sim Blender and I used that to age my sims down (among other things!). Later on, I got BO's aging hack, so all my sims (except babies) aged up only once a week (every Sunday at 6 p.m.) but after a while I didn't like the fact of having toddlers, children and teens and elders for so much longer (most of my teens have already platinum lifetime aspiration which makes the game a little less fun for me!), so I switched to the other "flavour" of BO's aging hack where only adults age up only once a week! That seems to work for me for the time being!
Page 878 of 1347