Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 1:47 AM
Default item depreciation values
I have been looking at object data on custom mesh objects and I have a question.

I find that the depreciation/resale value for items is pretty confusing. In the catalog Money section it has price, sale price, daily depreciation, initial depreciation, self depreciating and depreciation limit. The price is straighforward.

At first I saw sale prices coupled with zeros in all depreciation fields. When I saw a value in depreciation fields (I assume that the value is a percentage that the item loses in value over a given time period), the sale price was zero.

I thought the sale price the money returned to you if you 'sold' the item back and no depreciation was taking place. And if there was a depreciation value that the item would be sold back at the original price minus the value calculation.

Then I noticed on some items there is a value for ALL fields.

Isn't this a conflict? How can an item have a sale price (the amount you get back) AND have a depreciation value?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 2:04 AM
I think that the sale price is automatically changed by the game by the value of the daily depreciation, initial depreciation, self depreciating and depreciation limit fields.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 3:44 AM
Ok. But that doesn't follow with the values I saw in various objects.

Wouldn't ALL items have a value of zero for sale price then--until sold and placed at which time the depreciation values would calculate out the sale price?

And if that was so, why would some items have a zero value in depreciation fields?
Fluffy
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 4:43 PM
I'm probably way in over my head here
but in sims1, there were objects, like paintings, that actually increased in value after a while, because they became 'antiques'
maybe it's something like that?
I haven't taken a look at this in sims2 yet, I must admit
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 7:57 PM
Doesn't seem to be, as the items vary (like a chair can have either depreciation or a sale value.)

I don't know enough to go into the game files and see how the Maxis items are set.

Someone with some knowledge on this? Please? A Maxiod?
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#6 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 11:29 AM
"Sale Price" is apparently a vestigial entry that never appears in the game. "Price" is the initial ask price of the object in the catalog. Daily Depreciation is how much the value of the object declines every day at Midnight. Self-Depreciating appears to be a boolean 0/1 value that may activate or deactivate auto-depreciation, indicating that value fluctuation is handled from within the object's main routines and not automagically. Initial Depreciation is the value lost immediately on purchase, like with the Computer. Depreciation Limit is the minimum price the object can depreciate to. Note that if this value is set higher than the object's price, the object will actually jump up to that value when "depreciating"!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 3:35 PM
Sounds reasonable--but why would an item have zeros for everything but the pirce and the sale price?

"Self-Depreciating appears to be a boolean 0/1 value " I read this to say that this field should have only a 1 or a zero. I think I saw some items with other values--but if so I know I was looking at these in 'decimal' rather than hex or binary. Maybe that accounts of that. I'll check that out.....