Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Autonomous Bed Beta Testers Needed v0.63 (updated 10/05/05)

by LizzLove Posted 7th Aug 2005 at 4:46 AM - Updated 6th Oct 2005 at 6:19 AM by LizzLove : Updated with bug fixes and added Nightlife support.

423 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 419 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 17
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#76 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 3:36 PM
I really shortened your quote here just so the post would be more readable. Some great suggestions in here.

Quote: Originally posted by KittyKitty
clothing changes aren't quite working as intended
Could another switch be added perhaps to have sims simply get IN the bed nude?

It seems to be the movie that is messing things up. When I go into the movie code later on today I will look at changing it there too. I will look at the "Relax - Get In" code and see if I can add a switch there to get nude when the sims get in the bed.

I also observed one verifyable glitch somewhere in the gender routines. At one point, two males used the bed at once, kissed then jumped out of bed like they were on fire (the jump bug where there's no animation).

Ok, I will look at that while I am testing today. Something may have slipped in. I can see where the problem might be as with your settings both sexes are allowed to get into the bed but the Male-Male combo should just talk.

I was wondering how your swinger's hot tub mod comes into play here. Specifically, does it also alter any global code that would make Maxis Code == Swinger Bed code in the options, or is the code for the tubs entirely seperate?

The code for the tubs is entirely seperate. Should be no conflicts here.

Now, I was going to suggest that while you're tweaking the advertising that perhaps you could include an "Advertising: Off" setting.

Great Idea! Now why didn't I think of that??? That will fix a lot of issues people have. Will get on this today.

Another switch that might be handy, though I'm not even remotely sure if it would be possible or not, would be to turn the "movies" on or off for autonomous activities.

Yeah, the movies drive me crazy too when I am testing, but I love them myself. I know there is a no-movie mod out there someplace, so I am sure it can be done. I will try to get a switch in for the next version. The only real problem is the menus are going to get real busy.

To wrap up, thanks to KittyKitty for her ideas.
I am going to (try to) add a menu item switch for...
Getting nude when entering the bed.
Turning the Movie on/off

And adding a new Advertising setting of OFF

I am also going to be adding in Inge Jones reservable bed code for the next version (With her help and permission). This will allow you to reserve the bed to a pair of Sims if you like.

With all this new work to do, I will not have a new version ready for a while, with luck sometime over the weekend if things go REAL smoothly. Otherwise sometime next week.

Lizz

PS to Voyager7... I am not sure how to make it available on community lots. I will have to research that and get back to you.
Test Subject
#77 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 8:00 PM
Ive been playing around with the bed, and i agree, that the adverticing part of it needs a wee bit tweaking. Perhaps you could do a sort of sliding bar, where you could set it to low, medium, high and then had two aditional menu options, that added a small amount more to the adverticing, or took a little away from it, so we could make some adjustments to our favorite settings ourselves... I know that low is too low for my sims, but on medium they all gather around it. If i could sort of fiddle with up and down a bit, to achieve a middle path, i would be very happy indeed.

Anyways, just a thought Its a really nice piece of code you have done here :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#78 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyperangel
Ive been playing around with the bed, and i agree, that the adverticing part of it needs a wee bit tweaking. Perhaps you could do a sort of sliding bar, where you could set it to low, medium, high and then had two aditional menu options, that added a small amount more to the adverticing, or took a little away from it, so we could make some adjustments to our favorite settings ourselves... I know that low is too low for my sims, but on medium they all gather around it. If i could sort of fiddle with up and down a bit, to achieve a middle path, i would be very happy indeed.

Anyways, just a thought Its a really nice piece of code you have done here :D

My initial plan was for a sliding bar (using the buy food dialog), but I have never been able to find a way to actually change the advertising dynamically and have it save. So I did the only thing I could do which is to use 3 (now 4) separate menu entries each with it’s own advertising settings. The code switches between them based on your settings (High, Medium, Low or Off).

I am tweaking the settings now, in part by changing the advertising, but also changing the Attenuation which controls how much the Advertising decays over distance. On high nothing will be different, but Medium will decay pretty quick, and Low very quickly. So they will have to be close to use the bed. The new Off setting works great. Just set it to off and you get to pick the partners, but from there they are autonomous.

Lizz
Test Subject
#79 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 9:46 PM
hi...I've used it, and I noticed that after purchasing it/selecting it in buy mode, I was no longer able to buy anything else.... I was using the boolprop cheat set to true at the time... could be an issue... good work though
Test Subject
#80 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LizzLove
Yeah, the movies drive me crazy too when I am testing, but I love them myself. I know there is a no-movie mod out there someplace, so I am sure it can be done.

You can turn the movies off in the settings in game... I haven't had movies in months...( they get a bit repetitive) :kami:
Test Subject
#81 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 10:42 PM
True, that can be done with extreme ease... though in some cases one may want movies for other things (i.e. moving in, first kiss, weddings), but not necessarily with this bed, where at one point I had the cinematic playing every 10 seconds.

So, it's more or less something for those that want cinematics, but don't want to be bogged down with a potential flood of cinematics related to this particular object.
Test Subject
#82 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 11:01 PM
As far as the empty embrace problem goes, When a sim gets out of the bed, maybe you could check to see if there was anyone else in the bed. If there is, reset that other sim to relax? Or even tell the other sim to get out of bed as well? The other sim can always get back into bed again if it has nothing better to do.
Test Subject
#83 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 11:53 PM
@ElektraMycenas: it does work without Uni....but you can set the options

people still relax, kiss, and stuff
Test Subject
#84 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 3:33 AM
I thank you... and all 118 of my naughty little sims thank you! Must go test now.
Test Subject
#85 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 4:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kailove
You can turn the movies off in the settings in game... I haven't had movies in months...( they get a bit repetitive) :kami:

Tell me about it! I added the hack to always get the movies the other week. No problem. Now, of course, that was before this wonderful waterbed was introduced. The movies got old real fast! I'm back to the normal movie settings now. Just enough for variety.
Test Subject
#86 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 4:23 AM
OMG Lizzlove.... Tested for half hour only, no bugs so far, My Sim homeowner hawever has now woohoo'd all her friends, the maid, gardner AND the postal lady that was just delivering the mail! Don't know if that was a bug or not but the postal lady sure had fun! I am going to have to lock all the doors to keep people from walking in off the streets for a little fun! All you promised and more! Can't even imagine the time you must have put into this. I have to say you are fantastic!
Field Researcher
#87 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 5:06 AM
This object is amazing!!! I love it so much! You have really done a fabulous job with it! I have tested extensively and have found no problems with. I was wondering, though... will there be recolors of the bed frame itself or will there be different styles of bed eventually? That would be great! I love it! Thanks again for your amazing work!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#88 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kailove
hi...I've used it, and I noticed that after purchasing it/selecting it in buy mode, I was no longer able to buy anything else.... I was using the boolprop cheat set to true at the time... could be an issue... good work though

Hmm, I run the bed with the cheat on all the time, never had that bug show up. But several other game related events can turn off buy/build/exit for a time, things like a fire, or death for example. I will keep my eye out for this happening.

Quote: Originally posted by daydrmrzzz
As far as the empty embrace problem goes, When a sim gets out of the bed, maybe you could check to see if there was anyone else in the bed. If there is, reset that other sim to relax? Or even tell the other sim to get out of bed as well? The other sim can always get back into bed again if it has nothing better to do.

The code to do this is already in there. If I cancel the interaction manually I have never had the frozen problem come up. But for some reason when the sim breaks it off themselves the other sim can get stuck and never seems to come back to my code. They stay off in the interaction code trying to sync to someone that is not there anymore. I think it may be a timing issue. Like many of the problems with doing this mod, Maxis never intended for sims to do this autonomously so the code always assumes that you are directing things. That means if you are directing a sim the other sim will be trying anything, but not with my bed. I will find a fix for it, but it is tricky going. Like other things that don't happen everytime it is hard to test the fixes.

Lizz

PS to trehki, I don't even want to know how much time I have put into this.... :fright: But the end result has been worth every hour.
Test Subject
#89 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 5:24 AM Last edited by Wes Janson : 12th Aug 2005 at 5:27 AM.
All right. Did some more testing... I'd like to make a suggestion.

I'm fairly sure I checked off the appropriate options (global relationship checks, swinger mode off, etc), however, two of my Sims who were best friends (who were supposed to be platonic) ended up autonomously making out and woohooing. I'd suggest an extra check option to have only Sims that are in love/crush have the autonomous ability to kiss, make out, and woohoo.
Test Subject
#90 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 12:14 PM
This is probably not related to the bed but since it is a new glitch for me I thought I would mention it. On a lot with the bed on it, I noticed twice now a couple of kids playing cops and robbers would freeze while the rest of the people on the lot continues to animate. I forced an error on one of them and have a log if you think it could somehow be related. I have many other hacks so it is probably something else.
Test Subject
#91 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 12:44 PM
Gave it a serious testing this morning, I had one lockup when I added new objects to my sims house, was unable to select ANY interaction, Left the game alone for about 3 minutes and it righted itself. Moved and deleted beds made and unmade, no problems. testing cheats seem to go ok. Turned down advertising and now sims on the outside of the house just walking by are not sucked in to the house for a woohoo. ( Unless I want them to!)

Question: I am still running the no shoo mod from before the bed release, Should this be removed or left? Doesn't seem to affect anything with it left in. Just curious.
Test Subject
#92 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 3:39 PM
Another small bug report while you're digging in there Lizz..

I'm still trying to completely verify this one, but so far it seems to prove out.

What seems to be happening is that if you manually direct a sim to go relax on the bed, they get stuck in a "waiting for company" mode.

To explain, it's not that they're actually stuck/frozen or anything. They just sit there in relax mode, but the subtle relax anim plays and such.. What they are NOT doing however is electing to daydream, watch TV, read, or to eventually get back up again -which sims DO seem to be doing just fine when THEY choose to go relax on their own.

I *think* they're going into a mode whereby they're semi-constantly "calling out" for someone to come snuggle with them, and never opting for other possible behaviors, but I'm not sure. Due to a combination of the settings of this particular bed and Inge's wonderful 4-key doors, the sim I noticed this with couldn't find any "suitable company". So she wound up just relaxing for hours and hours (until I finally just told her to go do something else lol).

Anyways.. figured you'd want to know, but I babble too much. I need to remember to just say "let me know if you want more details" hehehe

I'll keep playing around and let you know if I notice any change etc.

>^..^< ...Mwerow?

-Kitty
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 9:14 PM
It would be cool if a single sim relaxing could autonomously read, daydream, or watch tv and when joined begin the more intresting stuff. I also have sims who relax for hours waiting for suitable partners... that must be some good woohoo huh?
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 11:02 PM
I have to agree with Geekess. Autonomously reading, daydreaming, or watching tv would be wonderful for the bed while the sim is waiting for hubbie or wifie to get home from work hehe.

I love this hacked object, it is truely amazing.

Now one thing I wanted to suggest. For the amount of comfort/energy the bed gives when actually usuing it as a bed, it's very cheap at 700 simoleans. I think if this bed to fit better, either the price should be increased or the energy/comfort rating should be lowered. I have had several of my poor sims buy this bed just because it gives a heck of alot of comfort/energy for really cheap.

I to hope you will also add some recolors to the frame, at lease 1 with a dark brown.
Test Subject
#95 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 3:38 AM
Further investigation shows I haven't quite got this figured out yet.

Sims WILL daydream, watch TV, read, etc on the Auto-bed -regardless of whether you told them to relax or they did it on their own.

At least, sometimes. Other times they refuse to do anything but relax. (or fool around provided someone comes and joins them).

They're also pretty good about behaving once someone does join them on the bed. They'll often talk, but other times they'll listen to music, watch TV.. whatever's handy.

I was testing it again tonight and found that once there was no "valid target" in the house for them to try to convince to join them on the bed, it seemed to work fine. Either by locking virtually everyone else out of the room or waiting until they were all at work or whatever. As long as they were there though, even if they were busy with other tasks, it seems like the person on the bed just sits there.

Assumption is they're basically "spamming" a request for joining them to one or more "valid targets" within range on the lot. Again though, much of this is purely speculation since I don't know the coding well enough to investigate exactly what's happening from that standpoint.

Hehe.. hope this is all making some degree of sense. Not sure I'm explaining it that well :p
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#96 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wes Janson
All right. Did some more testing... I'd like to make a suggestion.

I'm fairly sure I checked off the appropriate options (global relationship checks, swinger mode off, etc), however, two of my Sims who were best friends (who were supposed to be platonic) ended up autonomously making out and woohooing. I'd suggest an extra check option to have only Sims that are in love/crush have the autonomous ability to kiss, make out, and woohoo.

Hmm, did they fall in Crush/Love before woohooing? Remember relationship boosts just by talking if they share interests.. Once their relationship advances to the point where they would cuddle/kiss then they will quit talking and start kissing. That is just the way it is. If you are using the Maxis defaults, or Global Mods without any global relationship mods (like my Swingers Bed) then what you asked for is already happening. If they were in a normal bed and their relationship scores are high enough to have the menu options show cuddle or kiss for example then in my bed they will kiss on their own.

On the single sim relaxing in the bed issue.....
When the sim is in the bed alone they are just running the Maxis loop code, it is not until someone joins them that my code really kicks in. What you are seeing is the Maxis "FindBestInteraction" code at work. And a bit of a wonky thing it is. A lot of the choices are made based on the sims personality that I do know. Shy sims tend to daydream a lot for example. When they just sit there and relax there can be several reasons, one there is little else to do, or they have invited someone and are waiting for them to come.

A lot of us in the mod community would LOVE to know how this really works, but sadly the core is buried in the exe file and therefore the mechanics are hidden from us. We can see some of the code around the core, but the part that checks the wants, needs and advertising, and then decides what the sim will do next, that part is hidden from us.

I wish I could help you with this part of the sims behaviour in the bed, but doing so would be very difficult with the information available. If Maxis wants to provide me with a SimAntics Developers Manual I would be happy to tackle it however. (Hint! Hint! If you guys at Maxis are reading this…)

On the No-Shoo issue it does not really matter. The bed uses it’s own version of the No-Shoo. It is private to the bed and unaffected either way by the global mod.

BTW, I have the following coded and I am in the testing phase for the next release....
1. Turning the Movie on/off
2. Added a new Advertising setting of OFF
3. Is now available for community lots. (needs tested yet)

I still have to Code the following.
1. Adding in Inge Jones Reservable bed code.
2. Altering the clothing when sims get into the bed to relax.

Lizz
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 9:43 AM
My sims are really really really enjoying this bed! I've only noticed a couple of weird things happen, one of which I think was addressed in this thread earlier, but I'm not sure I understand how it's supposed to work. I have the_061 version installed. I have one "special" room (actually, it's a seperate building, like a woohoo guest house, lol) which has Inge's 4 key locking door on it. I assign the keys to the two sims I want to go into the room. I use the settings gender: character preference, gender checking on, and the options of autonomous only when I want the sims to interact, family checks on, maxis default, risky woo-hoo off, try for baby off, what am I leaving out? Oh, yes, advertising at whatever setting I see fit at the time. I have my two sims selected, set the advertising to medium, one immediately goes to the bed, and the rest of the household as well as passers-by, the mailman, the gardener, the maid, head straight for the room, then stand outside complaining that they can't get in. Thank God for Inge's doors! But family members, brothers, sisters, fathers, married sims, *everyone* is getting the "ask so and so to join" queue and marching like lemmings to the edge of a cliff toward the room. I haven't tested what would happen if I left the door unlocked. Some relations could have a little trouble with that! (not to mention that I would be traumatized to see any weird stuff going on between family members. Not my thing, although I know that's not supposed to happen with the way you've coded it). And then what's weird is that, once the two intended sims are in the bed, the others are no longer obsessed with relaxing on it. Instead, they stand outside the door obsessing about "lounging" on the couch that's in that same room, next to the bed. I guess they are so drawn to the bed they just want to be near it...
Another thing that happened, and it happened only once and I haven't been able to make it happen again, is that when I placed a bed in the room for the first time, I had a sim set the advertising to "low" and the bed vanished into thin air. Had to buy a new one.
And the risky woo hoo option that I had set to "off" resulted in the first child to be conceived in that bed, from Bella Goth's son,(not Alexander, she has quite a few kids with one of my romance sims), and Dina Caliente. Ol' Morty should be pleased with this.
That being said, this is an incredibly fun mod. I also had two teen lose their virginities to each other in that bed...not intended, but oh well. I thought they would just make out. Naive, silly me.
Looking forward to the assignable beds! Great work on this. You certainly are putting a lot of thought into it.
Test Subject
#98 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 12:40 PM
So far only the residents and visitors seem interested in the beds set at medium. I have not noticed any passers-by being drawn to the beds. And so far, none of my maids have been distracted from their work.

I have discovered that providing other forms of high entertainment cuts down on the rush to the beds when they are set on medium. At the very least, my Sims rarely hang around for too long once they realize that there is just no room for them in the beds.

I do believe that the bed's energy and comfort level should be reduced to the levels comparable to beds of the same price. I have had to buy the most expensive beds available to keep everyone from wanting to SLEEP in the waterbed.

I can't wait to try the bed on a community lot. Thanks.
Test Subject
#99 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 1:32 PM
Let's see here...

I read and understood your above explanation perfectly Lizz. I know all too well how that one goes. Stupid hard-coding :P

That said however, now that I've dug up these few little oddities, tracking them down or at least trying to understand them as best I can has become something like a vendetta. LOL

So that in mind, understand that I'm passing this on to you partly just for my own sanity (what there ever was of it), and of course in the hopes that something in here might be useful. Even if everything here winds up being completely beyond your control, I've still got a great new bed which will provide countless hours of enjoyment (boy, that can be read a few ways ROFL). Heh, so on to the details.

First, I think I've finally figured out the actual factor that changes whether or not sims relaxing (alone or with others with whom they will "talk only" due to whatever setting) will do anything non-romantic with the bed.

For whatever reason, when set to Maximum advertising, these interactions seem to work fine. Sims will both do them autonomously, and you can click the bed/sim and tell them to daydream, read.. whatever have you.

If set to Medium or Low, they not only do not ever do them, but they vanish from the pies as well. At least, that's what seems to be happening in my case.

Also, on a "normal" bed, if a sim is already relaxing and you click "watch TV" manually, it adds it as a circle under the square sub-option. With yours, this works for daydream and read, but not for TV (and I don't think for music either but I'm not certain). This seems to be the case regardless of settings, but when set to Maximum and sims begin watching or listening on their own it seems to work as original. Odd lol

So that's my batch of observations and further 'bug analysis'...

Onto another suggestion in the form of a question. (lol -you're gonna hate me soon here hehehe)

Would it be possible to check somehow to see if a sim is in fact already on the bed and not doing anything else.. and if so, to have the selections for the settings/gender portions of the menu "just go" instead of being qued up?

I remember you said something about how if you used that "immediate mode" it would drop all other qued actions for a sim, but once we've already got them on there, there shouldn't be any regardless -aside from possible sub-selection interactions at least, and even then only one at a time on their own.

The reason I ask is that there's been a few times where I needed to tweak a setting or two *because* of who decided to come and join the sim already on the bed. As it behaves now, if I haven't another sim who's available and not locked out of the room etc and have to use the one already on the bed to change it, it requires getting them OUT of bed, then pausing so you can order the new settings, then unpausing, then trying to get them back into bed without any disruption of the "visiting" sim etc etc.

It's one of those minor annoyance issues, but I figured I'd bring it up as long as I was already hard at work being such a pest :D

Oh, and one last little observation I almost forgot about. I don't know exactly what all the settings were at the time this happened, but I did notice on one bed that DID have "family checks" in place, while a mother and son were relaxing and chatting/watching TV, I got pie choices for more intimate options. For testing purposes, I went ahead and sure enough, they were able to make out at my prompting, (which altered their relationship as one would expect it to etc). When they finished that though, they both immediately got out of bed. I then exited without save hehehe.

Not even sure that's something you bothered to check for / attempt to prevent, since obviously if we actually TELL them to do something like that when it's not apropriate, it's our own fault. Just figured I'd mention it due to the one time I saw them behave against the restrictions above, and because I know that by "maxis rules", their equivalent of family checks would mean you'd never even get those menus, so eh.. There you have it.

OK.. sorry for being such a pain. Just trying my best to report everything I find. Take whatever in there is useful, toss the rest out the window, and call it a day.

>^..^< ...Mwerow?

-Kitty
Field Researcher
#100 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 3:19 PM
I love this, it's dynamite. A meteor hit my Sim community yesterday and I haven't laughed like that for ages. I had the sim embracing someone who was no longer there but it wasn't a problem, there was no crash or anything and I was able to cancel him being on the bed and he got up again fine. Something that was really hilarious (obviously a glitch but very funny) was when an animation started to run for woohoo but there was only one sim in the bed! Personally I don't care if you never fix that one because it was just brilliant. I had them down in a community lot and that was great too. It is so funny. I haven't got the no jealousy hack and, at first, I thought there was going to be trouble but after a while, the jealous sims just got used to seeing their other half getting it on with someone else and went off to find another one of the beds. And it was brilliant watching them all start to run from other rooms whenever a space became vacant on a bed. Ahh, funny funny funny.

CTNutmegger's bed is wonderful too. Thank heavens it goes with everything.

Thank you for this brilliant thing!!
Page 4 of 17