Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 8:42 AM
Default Changing subset name
Hi. I'm trying to change the subset name in my 4t2 fireplace conversion from metal to mantle. I've update the shpe, cres, tmxt, mmat, gmnd & gdmc with the new name, but the game crashes once loading up. I have done the "fix integrity" as well. Here is the mesh.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 5:21 PM
What did you edit in the cres? That shouldn't come into play with subsets. Also, can I ask why you're trying to change the name of the subsets?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 7:55 PM
It's crashing because in the GMND you added another line, but only partially. Try deleting line 0x08 on the edit tab for the GMND. It should stop crashing, but not sure why you changed the subset name? It seems you have broken the scenegraph, you've unlinked the cres from the gmdc. Also, using anything other than hypen and underscores in the internal name may cause issues.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 12:35 AM
@hugelunatic, it's still crashing despite deleting that line. I changed the subset for personal preference, I guess. When I imported the mesh it didn't take the group names from milkshape for some reason. How can I link the cres again?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 4:02 AM
Depends how you import the mesh.

If you replace with Unimesh and make sure all the comments have the proper subset names (comments decide the subset names unless they're empty), the mesh should get all the subset names you decided.

If you import an OBJ mesh and replace individual subsets, the mesh uses the subset names in the file as long as you use the "replace" option. If you use the "add" option, it adds the subsets to the list instead.

You can change subset names in the GMDC if they don't match the rest of the file. Make sure you have the correct number of subsets, that you've replaced the correct subsets with the proper mesh, and that they have the correct names before moving forward.

It's always easiest to match mesh subsets to whatever is already in the file than renaming them to have a name that makes sense. The only place you're going to have to deal with subset names for objects is in SimPE, so the name doesn't really matter much as long as it's the correct name (and it's more of a hassle to make sure everything is replaced properly - save that process for adding new subsets).
Alchemist
#6 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 6:02 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 21st Jul 2021 at 9:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by thirstyforsouls
it's still crashing despite deleting that line. I changed the subset for personal preference, I guess. When I imported the mesh it didn't take the group names from milkshape for some reason. How can I link the cres again?

When I first started making new objects, I changed my subset names, just because I like my packages as neat and tidy and efficient as possible and I was learning how to make them that way. It was easy to mess up, so I was sure to keep a backup to go back to when I had to start over. It's been a long time, but iirc, fix integrity did not always update the instances correctly. I could sometimes see it orphaned in the scenegrapher and have to fix it manually. I would check the instance and subtype numbers on the resource list against the references tab for any part that shows as unconnected.

After a while, I learned to make a perfectly clean package with generic names that made sense for the project and I started cloning my own and stopped renaming because it is a bit fussy, but my objects aren't all named "blue vase," so good enough.
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#7 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 7:54 PM
Select the GMND, then select the reference tab. Delete the GMDC listed here. Then on the right side in a box called settings you will see a small u in the upper right corner. CLick that, then a new dialog box pops up, scroll to find the GMDC, then drag that into the window where the others are listed. Commit and save. If you preview the mesh in the GMDC it is now properly textured. This may be part of the crashing issue?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 9:18 PM
I figured out where I went wrong. I pointed everything to the right location but deleted the fireplaceandlogs in the gdmc since this fireplace does not use the grate & logs. So I'm not sure now what to do with "tsMaterialsMeshName" since that group does not exist anymore? Deleting that line does not immediately crash the game, but opening any household, and going to find the fireplace, does crash the game.
Alchemist
#9 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thirstyforsouls
I figured out where I went wrong. I pointed everything to the right location but deleted the fireplaceandlogs in the gdmc since this fireplace does not use the grate & logs. So I'm not sure now what to do with "tsMaterialsMeshName" since that group does not exist anymore? Deleting that line does not immediately crash the game, but opening any household, and going to find the fireplace, does crash the game.

I reconnected the CRES the way I mentioned above (I never noticed the tiny u before, good to know!) and deleted the 08. It still crashed, but then I remembered that if you fix integrity on a compressed file, it doesn't work right. I recloned your file with all the boxes unchecked to remove the compression and now it loads without crashing. It doesn't show in game because I don't have the script it needs, I think. But it no longer crashes.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 12:00 AM
Sorry for the headache everyone I remade the file, again. The file now works properly with my renamed subsets. I don't know what went wrong in the first file, but now it shows in game with no crashing issues.