Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 4:24 PM
WCIF a mod I've seen mentioned that extends the duration of the 'Suntanned' moodlet from 24 hrs to 3 days, or a guide that tells me how to do this myself? ☀
I recently game across a forum post from 2013 where somebody mentioned they had a mod in their game that extended the duration of the Suntanned moodlet to 3 days rather than just 24 hours. This would be very handy to me except I can't find any trace of it myself.

I have my Sims' life spans set very long so having to top up their spray tans within the same 24 hours every day is very time consuming and disruptive - especially if I'd like to send them on vacation for a few days where it wouldn't make sense to have a spa or tanning booth in town.

Any help or tips are appreciated.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 7:58 PM
I'm going to write you a guide on how to do this, simply because the Buffs XML is pretty important and I normally advise modifying it on your own rather than putting an edit up for download.

1. Locate the GameplayData.package file, then look for the Buffs XML file and extract it somewhere.
You can find it in the GameplayData.package file under your game installation folder. Mine is in D:\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Gameplay.
You can search for the file either by name (Buffs) or by its instance ID (0x196861BE84939A71).
After extracting, close this GameplayData.package file. Never work directly on game files, as a rule!

2. Open the extracted file in your text editor of choice and edit the duration of the moodlet.
The required bit of code you're looking for is this (Ctrl-F "Suntanned" to find it faster):
Code:
<BuffList>
  <Hex>Suntanned</Hex>
  <SKU>EP8</SKU>
  <BuffName>Suntanned</BuffName>
  <BuffDescription>SuntannedDescription</BuffDescription>
  <BuffHelpText>SuntannedHelpText</BuffHelpText>
  <ThumbFilename>moodlet_gotanicetan</ThumbFilename>
  <AxisEffected>None</AxisEffected>
  <EffectValue>10</EffectValue>
  <TimeoutLength>1400</TimeoutLength>
  <CustomClassName>Sims3.Gameplay.ActorSystems.BuffSuntan,Sims3GameplaySystems</CustomClassName>
  <NeededTraitForRobot>Unknown</NeededTraitForRobot>
 </BuffList>

The line you're interested in is:
Code:

I haven't seen this moodlet in a long time, but I assume that the EffectValue attribute refers to the score of the moodlet, prior to any modifiers (e.g. trait-influenced debuffs).

3. Import this file into a new .package using S3PE, save, and put it in your game.
You may need to delete your scriptCache.package file as well. Not compulsory, but it may help.

ETA: in case anyone finds it useful, I made a mod that disables suntans entirely: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/573011/
It affects a different resource: SimTemperature XML 0xc3d40f67902e8242.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
I'm going to write you a guide on how to do this, simply because the Buffs XML is pretty important and I normally advise modifying it on your own rather than putting an edit up for download.

1. Locate the GameplayData.package file, then look for the Buffs XML file and extract it somewhere.
You can find it in the GameplayData.package file under your game installation folder. Mine is in D:\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Gameplay.
You can search for the file either by name (Buffs) or by its instance ID (0x196861BE84939A71).
After extracting, close this GameplayData.package file. Never work directly on game files, as a rule!

2. Open the extracted file in your text editor of choice and edit the duration of the moodlet.
The required bit of code you're looking for is this (Ctrl-F "Suntanned" to find it faster):
Code:
<BuffList>
  <Hex>Suntanned</Hex>
  <SKU>EP8</SKU>
  <BuffName>Suntanned</BuffName>
  <BuffDescription>SuntannedDescription</BuffDescription>
  <BuffHelpText>SuntannedHelpText</BuffHelpText>
  <ThumbFilename>moodlet_gotanicetan</ThumbFilename>
  <AxisEffected>None</AxisEffected>
  <EffectValue>10</EffectValue>
  <CustomClassName>Sims3.Gameplay.ActorSystems.BuffSuntan,Sims3GameplaySystems</CustomClassName>
  <NeededTraitForRobot>Unknown</NeededTraitForRobot>
 </BuffList>

The line you're interested in is:
Code:

I haven't seen this moodlet in a long time, but I assume that the EffectValue attribute refers to the score of the moodlet, prior to any modifiers (e.g. trait-influenced debuffs).

3. Import this file into a new .package using S3PE, save, and put it in your game.
You may need to delete your scriptCache.package file as well. Not compulsory, but it may help.

ETA: in case anyone finds it useful, I made a mod that disables suntans entirely: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/573011/
It affects a different resource: SimTemperature XML 0xc3d40f67902e8242.

This is wonderful, thank you so much! ❤