Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Dec 2007 at 2:21 AM
how's my first house (that i want to upload)
top view of second floor:
top view of first floor:
the house: (the other side looks the same)
the back of the house:

I had some better pictures but EA overwrote them on me >_<
also is there a way that i can get my username changed?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Dec 2007 at 4:18 AM
a bit bland. try some trees and landscaping, maybe connect the 2 decks together, and connect the bottom one to the ground. Try to use windows that are a different color from the siding, maybe add shutters, but that's not necessary. Maybe an overhang roof in the front over the door, that would help. Oh, and DEFINATELY change that arch on the second floor that leads to the deck into a door. Sorry if that sounds like a lot, but it's my thoughts. Which ramble. A lot. Anyway, maybe some more adornment, or maybe make it brick.

Just keep trying, it's an interesting design.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Dec 2007 at 4:52 AM
alright thank you.
Instructor
#4 Old 18th Dec 2007 at 11:58 AM
Yes, it needs some landscaping; try a mixture of terrains. Also all of those support poles on the bottom patio are just not needed. I would also recommend using a different type of steps. Try the first brown ones - also use these for stair leading to and from the bottom patio.

With the whole Username thing, no. Not unless you abandon and delete you 'death' account and make a new one.

Retired...

kind of.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 18th Dec 2007 at 12:16 PM
Actually, no, you can't abandon and delete an account. One account per user, and we do not generally grant username changes.

The decks seem a little big to me - they're almost as big as the house itself... maybe take off a couple tiles to make it a bit smaller, and I agree about the need for landscaping. Needs some trees and bushes around the house.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#6 Old 18th Dec 2007 at 1:02 PM
maybe you could scrap the bathroom upstairs the one with a black toilet. And move the stair case to that position along the back of the house. Use a single door at the front. And increase the size of the two rooms on the ground floor at the front. Get rid of the slanted/angled wall on the red bathroom it serves no purpose. Also the resess on the large bedroom serves no purpose (unless it's for a door?). Also it would be better suited to use windows and doors that match all round.

Please dont upload my creations to paysites.
But please feel free to use
ANY other way you like

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Dec 2007 at 3:24 PM Last edited by death : 18th Dec 2007 at 4:21 PM. Reason: added more pictures
alright thank you all. and the indent on the bedroom is a door.
Here's the outside, I think i've tweaked it a bit better(no trees and that yet):
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Dec 2007 at 6:27 PM
Hi. I've seen so many houses like yours. Long, narrow, drafty rooms with high ceilings and not much useable floor space. Good job keeping that 'theme' going in an older style house. Your house is much more useable than the Maxis houses.

I play test my houses to see if they actually work and if sims are going to yell at spots like your angled wall in front of the toilet. Sims like their knee room.

To play test a house without messing it up later when you remove your sims, put your house into the houses bin prior to moving a Sim in, then copy it back to the neighborhood, then play the house and see if the sims like it.

I tend to make my lots jungly, which can cause play problems cuz I can't see through the landscaping into the houses. lol... anyway. If your theme is old-style row house, you have a good candidate. It won't make a featured lot because it lacks Pizzaz, but it may fit in nicely in old style neighborhoods. :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Dec 2007 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by porkypine
Hi. I've seen so many houses like yours. Long, narrow, drafty rooms with high ceilings and not much useable floor space. Good job keeping that 'theme' going in an older style house. Your house is much more useable than the Maxis houses.

I play test my houses to see if they actually work and if sims are going to yell at spots like your angled wall in front of the toilet. Sims like their knee room.

To play test a house without messing it up later when you remove your sims, put your house into the houses bin prior to moving a Sim in, then copy it back to the neighborhood, then play the house and see if the sims like it.

I tend to make my lots jungly, which can cause play problems cuz I can't see through the landscaping into the houses. lol... anyway. If your theme is old-style row house, you have a good candidate. It won't make a featured lot because it lacks Pizzaz, but it may fit in nicely in old style neighborhoods. :D

yeah the toilet wasn't usable, rest of the house was quite usable and fine, i've gotten rid of the angled walls inside the house and removed a bathroom. i'm not trying to make a featured house, just one people will like.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th Dec 2007 at 10:21 PM
better! just need some trees and bushes, and maybe some different terrains, but other wise it looks a LOT better.

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 19th Dec 2007 at 1:29 AM
Usually symmetrical, balanced houses look good if the house is a large mansion/plantation style house. Smaller houses look better with a little bit of asymmetry. Plus with base game houses, you will get a better looking roof if it is not just a box.

Try adding some rooms off to the side and do something a little more creative with the decks. Right now it just looks tall and boxy.

Please don't upload my sims or lots anywhere unless you ask me first:)
dodgy builder
#12 Old 23rd Dec 2007 at 2:16 AM
I agree with mooch13. I have made a few houses without uploading them.
It is very easy to let the need for symmetry completely ruin a good idea. You need to loosen up a bit and let your creativity flow.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 23rd Dec 2007 at 2:05 PM
Out of the houses that I've built (which include entire customized neighborhoods of housing - in all sizes), I've uploaded only a very few (for many reasons). However, the one common 'issue' that many designers (especially newer ones) run into is "How do I landscape this thing?!?"

One suggestion is to go through the internet and look at pictures of landscaping around houses (and all that takes is a run through a real estate web site or two). Look at some of the better ones. The ones that really catch your eye. Then, take your ideas and apply them as best as possible to the game.

Remember though, not all landscaping is possible without making the house itself become over-run by trees with branches and leaves jutting through the walls and roof. So you have to be careful to get the larger trees within a good range, so that this little error does not occur. i.e.: You can't put a large willow tree within a tile or two of your house without having willow branches sticking through the walls of your second floor. LOL

You can have a very plain looking home....but if the landscaping is really good...the house itself actually looks more appealing to people (and gets downloaded more LOL).

Good luck!! (BTW, I agree on the bathroom idea as well) :D

-Carrie :)
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 2:02 AM
About the landscaping part you can always try my approach. It may sound a little weird and to tell the truth I don't always do it myself, but it may help. You can try landscaping before you build the house or landscape as you go to make the fit in with the nature better. It may be hard to get the house you wanted doing it this way because of hills, plants and uneven ground, but if you work at it you can get a really good house. Also you should always try to have trees and plants(unless of course your lot is on concrete), or use more than one terrain color. All of those things mays help you, if not get the dream house you imagined, get a house you really enjoy.

By the way I think your house is looking good so far.

Good Luck!!!
#15 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 9:28 PM
I acutally have a list that I wrote last night about what is odd, but I am half way out the door, so when I get home, I will type it and post.

Bites and Kisses
Vampire
#16 Old 21st Jan 2008 at 5:43 PM
Here we go:

First floor:
Link to the picture with added comments.
http://flickr.com/photos/22702315@N02/2209808536/
Kitchen:

The kitchen is very small and the refrigerator is far away from the rest of the kitchen.

There seems like there is a Breakfast Nook type table, but the wood clashes with the white and black applancies.

The Kitchen is not really separated from the Bar(?) area. Build a wall and add an arch.

Bar?:
This area is VERY empty. You should have a formal type dining room here instead of just a bar.

The Entryway:
This area is very empty also. Try putting a bench with a mirrior above it and/or a coat rack.

Living Room:
This area isn't separated from everything except for the stereo. This looks really odd.

There is way too much space between the T.V. and the couch.

There is more dead space behind the T.V. and bookshelf.

The Porch and Outside:
There is ALOT of dead space out here. It is very empty. See the link for explaination of where dead space is.

There is NO landscaping which makes the house look really boring, from the outside. Add a pond and/or tress, shrubs and flowers.

The columns on the porch ae in ranom places, so it looks like you kind of threw them there

Other notes on downstairs:

The WHOLE place uses the same wallpaper and most of it uses the same floor. Try to break up the rooms a bit.

If you keep the wood flooring in the entryway, then pick another color of stairs because the two tones of wood don't really go together.

Floor 2:

The rooms are more filled up here. Another Link:
http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/photostream/

Hall:

There is alot of dead space in the hall. Try adding some plants and pictures or mirrors to the wall.

The end of the hall, where the window is, has odd angles on both sides

Main Bedroom:
The blue and red contrast.

it dosen't seem like the right place for a nursery. Get rid of the extra Bathroom and make that the Nursery.

The porch up here has dead space too. Shorten it.

I think that is it, but if not I will add on. This is really a good start, for one of your first houses. I can't wait to see it uploaded!

Bites and Kisses
Vampire
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 6:22 AM
A quick tip about landscaping. The moveobjects on cheat is your friend. I love doubling up on flowers or adding shrubs under trees, also great for lighting things up too. Those little round lights under shrubs work very well. Little gardens in the front yard are nice too. I love terrain paints, but never upload a house I'm building specifically for upload here with them.

On to the house. Nice and simple. The kitchen is a little long and narrow for my tastes you could really use the space better I think.

Oh, another tip. Remove the posts in the middle of the bottom porch. Trust me, your deck won't fall down. Anyway. Nice house. Well done. Keep up the good work.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 3:33 AM
i agree with most comments about the deck being way to large..and the need for a littl ebit of landscaping. but over all i like this place it is pretty cute :D

the amount of pills I'm taking, counteracts the booze I'm drinking
Mad Poster
#19 Old 3rd Feb 2008 at 5:25 AM
Hmmm, I still think that the steps up to the front door are too modern. Try using the wooden ones.

Locked thread | Locked by: justJones Reason: do not delete-useful info