Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 7:04 PM
Constructive Criticism on my house.
I had recently tried to upload my first lot, and found out this morning that it got rejected.

So, I'm taking MTS2 Staff advice and am taking it here to get some feedback. One thing that I'm not sure how to update is the general layout.

Quote:
While we appreciate and understand the time and effort you have taken on your submission, it's just a little bit off in some ways... you've got a great base and a really good start going, but there's certain details that need a little more tweaking before it's quite ready.

I'm not sure what details they may be hinting at, and since I'm biased towards it, help is much appreciated.

Another thing they siggested was about my roof, but I think I can handle that pretty easily.

Thanks in advance guys! I appreciate it!
Screenshots

~*Cheryl*~
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 7:19 PM
Nice study up there, like it. It just looks, well, sort of plain. If you know what I mean. Try landscaping more, and where the stairs are on the bottom floor, you should make a wall extension so they are up against something, not just in the middle like they are now. Looks very "grey" from the outside. Might want to make the kitchen not so longh, and add a bar to it mabye.

-DS2F
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#3 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 7:46 PM
You have a nice base for the house, and the layout seem very practical--I think the things that need tweaking are mostly aesthetic.

The most noticeable problem with the house is the lack of landscaping. The house is higher off the ground than most houses, so this makes the lack of greenery and the general emptiness of the house much more visible. Since you can't really lower the house without rebuilding the entire thing, I'd recommend taking the easy route and adding some landscaping. Add a row of bushes or shrubs along the front of the house, and maybe some flowers or something along the front walk. I'd also try messing around with the terrain paints--the grass you're using is a little bland, and mixing terrain paints together can lead to some interesting looks.

Another thing that you could try to break up the empty space is adding a deck. You could place it on the side of the house with the kitchen and then have the deck wrap partially around the corner, or something. Or, you could just build the deck at the very back of the house. You could also just try adding a back porch that leads out into the yard, and then make a patio or something. Or you could just add more landscaping in the back as well.

As far as the roof goes, I would recommend fixing the portion of the roof on the side of the house. It doesn't quite reach the wall, which is a bit odd-looking... if you can't get it to match up quite right, you could always be adventurous and try turning it into a balcony. You might also want to try lowering that one part of the roof at the center of the house that sticks up above everything else--it seems a little out of place.

I like the room you have at the front of the house that's open to the floor below, but the windows just don't look right. You might want to try using consistently similar windows.

For the inside of the house, I would try toning back the walls and floors a little bit. Some of floors (especially the blue crisscross carpeting and the black and white tile) seem a bit outlandish, and the wood paneling in the front rooms is just too much. I'd recommend going through the house and picking some more neutral walls and floors, and then let the downloaders redecorate it to suit their tastes.

Also, these are just minor details, but... I'd go through and make sure that all of the doors match the walls that you're using (at least nominally). I know it seems like a silly little detail, but every bit counts when you're presenting something for download.

Anyway, I hope this helped. Good luck!

There's always money in the banana stand.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 11:12 PM Last edited by webfreek7 : 1st Aug 2008 at 4:28 AM.
Ok, I've edited it a bit. I've added furniture, changed the roof, moved the kitchen down- shortening the dining room and lengthening the living room. I messed around a bit with the upstairs bathroom.. For a while I had it between the upstairs bathrooms, but I didn't like it like that.. So I moved it back to the study, but now it's bigger. I added landscaping to the yard, trees mostly, and a few bushes and flowers. I'm not content with the new roof.. Something's off.. Oh, and I added a balcony on the left side of the house, but it's not accessible at this time.

Let me know what you think.. Thanks guys!
Screenshots

~*Cheryl*~
Test Subject
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 4:38 AM
I think that the right side of the first roof was better but apart from that I dont see anything wrong.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 12:20 PM
I think the house looks better with the original roof rather than the second one.
But with more landscaping & furnishing it looks a lot better.
(:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 5:01 PM
I changed the roof a little bit again, and think it's a little better. I've resent this version to the MTS2 upload manager.

I'm including a couple detail pictures of the dining room, and the balcony/study.

Thanks again everyone for all your comments! If it gets rejected again, I'll let you all know!
Screenshots

~*Cheryl*~
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 5:25 PM
Wow, I like what you did with the kitchen, love it. That looks very good. It does look a lot better with the landscaping. Good work!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DSims2Frantic
Wow, I like what you did with the kitchen, love it. That looks very good. It does look a lot better with the landscaping. Good work!

I have a better picture of it, if you want to see it.
Screenshots

~*Cheryl*~
Wiki Wizard
#10 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 1:36 PM
It looks really good, the landscaping is good but you should put some shrubs around the edge of the house

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 4:46 PM
The colors on the exterior are very strange and don't work together very well... the interior is just fine.

Viva Pinata: It's not just a game, it's a movement.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 5:52 PM
Well, Its like a failed attempt at a McMansion. It lacks creativity and design. I would completely demolish the left side and start over. The interior layout is ok, a little cold, but you need to focus on the exterior, that is the difference between something simmers want to download and something they could build themselves. Also, I've seen about a million houses very similar to this one. You should look up some tutorials, like from mikeinside, learn how to use boolprop constrainfloorelevation false, and look at a ton of floor plans, thats how you can make great houses. Good luck on you next house.

"Buy this car to drive to work. Drive to work to pay for this car" -Metric
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 1:33 AM
it was finally approved today! Go check it out! Thanks guys!

~*Cheryl*~
Locked thread | Locked by: lewjen Reason: do not delete - useful info