Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 5:07 PM
Default Post formatting: A little tiptorial
What is this about?

This is a little tiptorial on how a little formatting can make a huge difference on how your upload post can look like.

The following posts contain two examples of uploads; a really bad one, and a nice one. The posts are imaginary object uploads, made by a person who is very excited on what they have created. There is also a post containing tips on formatting.

Bad example on post #2:
Making an upload filled with random blabber, without basically any formatting or punctuation, will make your moderator cry. Please don't do that!

Good example on post #3:
Seeing an upload that is nicely formatted, coherent, and has good punctuation makes your moderator happy to work with it!

Formatting tips on post #4:
Here you will see some tips on how to make your post nice to read, and also some handy bbcode examples.
Advertisement
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 5:07 PM
A really horrifying, 'I wanna make a moderator cry' -sort of example

Hi everyone this is my new upload!!!

So I wanted to make a little set of furniture that I think came out pretty nice I like It very much. i was really bored after school one day so I thought I will make some objects that I think I need for my game. I don't know if anyone else will need them but I made them anyways so please download! I had some trouble with my dog trying to chew my shoes while I was making this upload so I'm sorry if there are some issues with the textures. Some legs might be a bit wonky too cause my cat decided to chase a mouse around the house and dropped a bowl of chips to the ground that broke down and made a terrible noise that made me jump from my chair. The weather outside has been really nice too so I'm a little sad I have sat inside making this set instead but I think the time I put to it has been worth it. My grandma likes this set a lot too and says she used to have tables just like that when I was a kid and used to visit her all the time in the holidays. I don't remember much of this myself but if my granny says so i must believe her cause she is my granny and I love her so much. My mom nearly grounded me for spending so much time on the computer and she didn't exactly appreciate me not doing my chores during this time either so she yelled me for quite a bit and that makes me sad. My dad stood up for me though I'm really surprised. He took my mom out for a nice dinner and they were out for quite a long time and came back home all giggly and happy so i don't know maybe there has been good dessert. Ice cream maybe I love ice cream so much. But yes I was telling you about how I made this upload so maybe I should get to it. My aunt always says I speak way too much and get lost in the subject but I have not noticed such thing happening myself maybe she is hallucinating cause she does do that quite a bit cause she is some sort of spiritual worker.

So I made you a dining table a chair and a little little side table. I think they came out really nice and I hope that you like them very much. As much as I do. You can use them in a kitchen or in any room that you would like to but it makes most sense to use them in a kitchen or in a diningroom. Well it doesn't really matter to me where you want to use them you can put them in any room you like but a kitchen is where I made them to go. So I made this set and I thought I would upload it here so I'm gonna tell you a bit about the objects now.

Like I said there are a dining table a chair and a little little side table that I made all by myself. I used S3OC S3PE and Photoshop and I want to thank the creators of these wonderful programs so much. Right I forgot I was telling you about the objects. Let me start over. So I made a dining table a chair and a little little side table. The table has two recolourable channels the top and the legs. The chair also has two recolourable channels. The legs and back are one and then the seat. The little side table has two recolourable channels just like the dining table isn't that nice that they match so nicely? The items can be found in game that is pretty cool right cause I managed to make it work after having several issue with the tools and locations of where the items should show up cause I think I cloned something wrong first and needed to start all over again before I managed to make these objects work like they should work in my opinion. So the objects can be found in game in two ways you can find them under rooms in kitchen I didn't put them to dining cause I think they belong to kitchen. Then you can find them under categories the tables are both in dining tables cause I forgot to change the side table to end table and so I left it there and the chair can be found in the dining chairs. The objects do not cost too much but they come with a price and that is 50§ for the dining table and 20§ for each chair and the side table costs 30§ so they are not really that expensive don't you think? I should probably list the poly counts too so here they are. The table has polycount of 120 the chair 240 and the side table 120. Funny how the tables are the same might be cause I just resized the dining table. Oh and please you need to know that you need to have the base game and a patch of 1.36 at least to use this upload so please have those! And the files you need to download are myawesometable.rar my awesomechair.rar and myawesomesidetable.rar!! So yes did I forget anything? I think I need to thank the creators of the programs once more. Thank you creators of S3OC S3PE and Photoshop without you this upload would have not been possible to make!!!!oneone1eleventy!! Please everyone download and enjoy my new upload!
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 5:07 PM
Example of a nice, 'I like my moderator and downloaders' -sort of post

Hi everyone, this is my new upload!

I wanted to make a little set of furniture and I think they came out pretty nice! I like the set very much.

So, I made you a dining table, a chair, and a little little side table. I think they came out really nice; I hope that you like them as much as I do. You can use them in a kitchen or in any room that you would like to, but it makes most sense to use them in a kitchen or in a diningroom. Below is all the information you need to know.

Object information
Object namepricecategory by roomcategory by typerecolourable channelsfile to download
My awesome dining table50§kitchendining tables2, the top, legsmyawesometable.rar
My awesome chair20§kitchendining chairs2, legs and the back, seatmyawesomechair.rar
My awesome side table30§kitchendining tables2, the top, legsmyawesomesidetable.rar
Game requirements

You will need to have the Base game with patch 1.36 or higher to use these.

Additional credits:
Thank you creators of S3OC, S3PE, and Photoshop. Without you this upload would have not been possible to make!

Please everyone, download and enjoy my new upload!
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 5:07 PM
Tips on how to improve your posts with formatting

Here are some tips on how to make nice looking, easy to read -posts.

Be coherent, use good punctuation, don't ramble!

Try to organize your post so that every bit of information is easy to read. Break the information into bits by using paragraphs. Don't jump from subject to another, but try to keep it all in order.

Use headers

Breaking the post into bits helps on its own already; clean headlines make the post even easier to read and helps to find information about what you want to know.

Here are a few examples of headers you can use. You can see the code/syntax if you hit reply on this post.

This is a big headline

This is a headline for something that works or is good

This is a headline for something that doesn't work or is broken

This is a small headline

Text formatting

Use Center-tags sparingly. Centering a whole upload, or something random, makes the post really hard to read.
Pictures, tables, main header, are ok to center.

Bolded text is good for drawing attention to something, raising something up from the text.
You can also use cursive to tilt the text,
and underline bits.
Don't go overboard with them though!

Use lists

Lists come in handy when you have, well, lists of things. Even if they don't do much apart from indenting the list items and putting nifty bullet points in front of them, they'll give your post a tidy appearance.
  • list item 1
  • list item 2
  1. list item 1
  2. list item 2
  1. list item 1
  2. list item 2

Organize information in tables

There are types information you may want to put in a table format. Such as polycounts, prices, categories and such object related bit of information.

Here are a few examples on making a table. You can again see the syntax if you hit the reply -button.

Heading 1Heading 2
Text 1This text contains, perhaps, some commas

Heading 1Heading 2
Text 1This text contains, perhaps, some commas

Heading 1Heading 2
Text 1Here you can't use commas

Hide long texts and irrelevant information

Our example uploader was quite a rambler. But they wanted to keep their background story in the posts, so they hid it behind a handy button. You can do this too, and you should if you have long bits of text, long tables, or anything that is not really important for the post itself.

There are two types of buttons you can use. Here are the examples, see the syntax by hitting reply on this post.

Temptation to use smileys...

A smiley here and there is fine, but please don't abuse the smileys and icons.

You can draw attention to something too, but again, please use consideration.

Abusing the smileys and icons gives the reader a headache. I guess you see what I mean.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 9:21 PM
Default Don't know how to format.
What if we do not know how to create tables and all the fancy formatting? Do you have a tutorial somewhere?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Oct 2013 at 1:53 AM
Yes, we have a tutorial somewhere. It is, in fact, right above your post.

Quote:
Here are a few examples of headers you can use. You can see the code/syntax if you hit reply on this post.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 4:10 PM
How do you change the color of your text?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 4:23 PM
You can't, text colours are disabled for everyone except mods.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 19th Dec 2013 at 1:26 AM
springfairy556, try replying to post #4, you'll see all the codes that armiel used to enhance the text.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Yes, we have a tutorial somewhere. It is, in fact, right above your post.
Hi: I was just wondering where all these buttons are cause I looked many times and I can still not find Headers,spoiler button etc.Sure I like to make nice post but how can I find these buttons. I see a few buttons above but the only one I recognize is Insert Hyperlink as the other ones there is no show spoiler or a Header buttons that I can see. would you be kind to guid me a bit since you seem to know all this stuff. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 5:06 PM Last edited by telefen : 7th Sep 2014 at 5:17 PM.
There are two types of buttons you can use. Here are the examples, see the syntax by hitting reply on this post.

Since I didn't get any responce to my question I went ahead and searched on the reply button many times and still can not find the following buttons above Can someone please show me
Test Subject
#12 Old 11th Sep 2014 at 1:11 PM Last edited by Greenplumbbob : 21st Oct 2017 at 1:02 PM.
What is the right code for increasing the text size?
Here (BBCode) is described, that I need to use the [size=Option][/size] code.

[size=+2]But If I want to increase this paragraph, it doesn't work.[/size]
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#13 Old 27th Aug 2020 at 10:15 AM
Quote:

Currently, due to the thread being closed, it's not possible to click the 'reply' button and see the BBCode that you want to check.

But! We do have a super helpful cheat sheet that will show the exact tags and how to use it. Simser der Deutschen already linked it, but here it is again: https://modthesims.info/misc.php?do=bbcode#size

Hope this helps the people who are a bit confused about this!