Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th May 2021 at 10:41 PM
If the Montys weren't 100% South Italian, what kind of mixed Italian heritage would suit them?
I was thinking of picturing the Montys as mixed Italian + North-African/Middle-Eastern due to their S3 skin complexion and perhaps also some facial features.

Any suggestions on what heritage mixes would suit them? And which parents/grandparents would you picture being from a different country than Italy?

Or is an S3 skin complexion realistic for Southern Italians from certain regions? (I've visited Italy and Malta in the past but I recall most of them more having S2 skintones)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th May 2021 at 11:22 PM
There was an Italian boy in my class at school. His skin colour was basically S3. With black hair (not curly). I've no idea what part of Italy he came from or what his ancestry was. But, seeing I was 5 when I got to know him, I sort of assumed that all Italians were that colour.

I have an Othello Moore living in the Via Veronaville. He's S4, and he's still a child. Notwithstanding their youth, he and Desdemona Capp have developed mutual crushes on each other.

By the way, as I'm sure you know, Verona is in north Italy.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
#3 Old 6th May 2021 at 11:29 PM
In a lot of places in Central Europe the "Monty look" (i.e. skin 3, dark eyes, black hair) is pretty much considered "Italian", even though it's pretty stereotypical and there's Italians with a lot of phenotypes.

What I can tell that there's a lot of people in the Italian Swiss and southern Austrian alps that look that way (my Grandmother was from there, and everybody always thought she was Italian). South France and Corsica to, so any of those places would be an option.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 7th May 2021 at 9:49 AM
Hi! I am Italian and I have grown up in the South of the nation (Puglia/Apulia), so I can most definitely answer your question :D
Italy is very diverse in terms of skin and hair colors, because our country has been conquered and dominated by a series of civilizations throughout all history (Greeks, Romans, Goths and Ostrogothics, Spanish and Ottomans in the South, Austrians in the North...).
The Montys do look Italian and I can tell you more specifically that they have the typical appearance of people from Calabria, Sicilia (Sicily) or the Taranto province in Puglia (Apulia). In these parts of the nation, it's very common for people to have tanner skins and black hair.
Some illustrious people from the regions that I mentioned:
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th May 2021 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Khal Ulti
Hi! I am Italian and I have grown up in the South of the nation (Puglia/Apulia), so I can most definitely answer your question :D
Italy is very diverse in terms of skin and hair colors, because our country has been conquered and dominated by a series of civilizations throughout all history (Greeks, Romans, Goths and Ostrogothics, Spanish and Ottomans in the South, Austrians in the North...).
The Montys do look Italian and I can tell you more specifically that they have the typical appearance of people from Calabria, Sicilia (Sicily) or the Taranto province in Puglia (Apulia). In these parts of the nation, it's very common for people to have tanner skins and black hair.

Thank you very much for the information and examples! When I googled "South Italian people" myself, I couldn't find dark tan complexions easily. I've been only to Sardinia, but I don't recall the high prevalence of S3 kind of complexion amongst locals.

Then I will leave them 100% Italian
Forum Resident
#6 Old 7th May 2021 at 10:33 AM Last edited by Sokisims : 7th May 2021 at 11:52 AM.
Mediterranean countries tend to have very varied phenotypes in terms of hair and skin color, although in facial features a certain homogeneity can be seen in most communities, the sun also influences and there are people who are not actually so tanned but tend to be. Due to the warm/olive color of their skin and exposure to the sun. Many blond children are also born who darken with age, most people end up with brown or ash blonde hair. In any case, in Italy is where I have seen the duality of the Nordic / Mediterranean phenotype the most, it reminds me a lot of the south of Spain where you can also see many people from the same family being tall and blonde or short and dark (or viceversa).

In any case, these varieties within the same ethnic groups are normal in countries with such a long history of trade, wars, migrations, etc.