Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 3:16 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 4th Feb 2021 at 3:27 AM.
Default When do Elders actually expire/unalive?
Wanna know exact math so I can "kill off" (delete Sims) that are way pass their 'expiration' date in a game where aging is off (Pets on PSP). So if anyone that had dug in game/code files or what, or know the ins and outs of the working, can you enlighten and help a fellow simmer

ETA: If I understood from the wiki correctly, elders live:

10 days + a 1-10 RNG number + based on aspiration bar = a max of 20 days (excluding influence from elixir of life), with 8 days being the very possible minimum? Can anyone verify this?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 4:36 AM
I'd be interested in knowing roughly too.
I have a custom lifespan I tweaked for my preference but I left all the stuff about aspiration bonuses the way the came. I set my Elder min to 17 and max to 27, so I assume it's different for every sim but I'm not sure.
Theorist
#3 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 11:29 AM
I could have sworn that in vanilla gameplay the Elders can live up to 30 days...
However I have long since modded the aging so that adults live 30 days (which includes middle age for me) and the elders only live 10-15 days, since they only symbolise actual old age for me.

You can however see how long an Elder has left if you look at their file in SimPE

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 12:28 PM
Days left shrub http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_Aging.htm Shows how long a sim has left in their age stage.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#5 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 4:08 PM
According to the Prima guide, Elders live between 9 and 31 days, depending on their aspiration at each age-up. It would take a lot of paperwork to keep track of that, and I have no idea how each age-up affects the total, but you could maybe base it on their aspiration when they reach Elderhood: red is 9 days, green is 16 days, gold is 23 days and platinum is 31 days, for example.
Theorist
#6 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
According to the Prima guide, Elders live between 9 and 31 days, depending on their aspiration at each age-up. It would take a lot of paperwork to keep track of that, and I have no idea how each age-up affects the total, but you could maybe base it on their aspiration when they reach Elderhood: red is 9 days, green is 16 days, gold is 23 days and platinum is 31 days, for example.

If I remember correctly @Chris Hatch (I think it was him) said that there's something broken about how the amount of Elder days is calculated and they all get more days than they should regardless of how they grew up.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 9:21 PM
I think the way everyone's age is calculated is broken, and that's why everyone wants to change their age to begin with. I mean, adults who are 22, (assuming they went to college or skipped it) should not be able to retire when they're 54, or 58! It's just ridiculous to think everyone grows into an elder at that age, when we all know people in RL who live to 100.
But of course we're talking about Sims 2, where reality is a myth.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 11:21 PM
I think Maxis define the age when Sims become Elders by the female menopause -- i.e. when females become infertile. Of course many real life women live for many, many years after the menopause.

As I think most of you know, Elders don't die in my game. At least no one has died yet. As an Elder myself I don't feel nearly ready to die yet, and I'm sure my Elder Sims don't feel ready to go yet either. I'll be pretty shocked when someone tells me I've got between 9 and 31 days to live! In fact I wish I could turn aging off in Real Life too.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Instructor
#9 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 12:19 AM
This is why my aging mod is more or less 1 day being 1 year so it's more close to real life.

Baby: 2 days (ages 0-1)
Toddler: 3 days (ages 2-4)
Child: 8 days (ages 5-12)
Teen: 6 days (ages 13-18)
Young Adult: 4 days (ages 19-22)
Adult College: 32 days (ages 23-54)
Adult No College: 36 days (ages 19-54)
Elder: min 17 days max 27 days (ages 55 to 71/81)

Except for the fact that a good chunk of people live longer than 81, but I don't want my sims living too long especially playing in an all neighborhoods megahood with like 60+ families making up one rotation, I'm gonna need you to die sooner or later
Also I know some of it could be up for debate like elder starting at 55, but when I was born my grandparents were in their early 50s, so I've always associated 50s with grandparents and grandparents with elders.
And, I was 18 when I started college so now I'm wondering if I should make some changes, although I graduated at 23 because it took me longer so meh nevermind it's just sims it's fine.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 5:24 AM
I use aging controllers to turn aging on or off as needed and will base aging on the 40 days in each year for how long they remain in each age state.Babies might get up to 40 days while toddlers get at least 80 days and children have 240 days and teens get 120 days.with getting to age up into young adults or adults nextIt's based on the fact that sims in my games become teens after nine years and would be allowed to beomce independant living like adults because it's historical.Young adult and adult starts at 12 years and up until they start to age and transition into elders.I have elder adults by just changing their appearance and they can still be fertile though nearing the end of that stage.My elder adults might cosmetically look a little like elders and still function more like regular adults except that they will become real elders fairly soon.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 10:36 PM
Outliers can happen. I had one former townie die on Day 55, right when he eldered up, coming home from work This was a shocking, but singular event. I rolled with it of course. It may have been a bug, it may been a 0.01% chance, but the consequences were interesting, so It was not really a problem.

At the other end of the scale, I had a 2nd gen playable who was platinum and had learned to beat Death. A daughter of the red-headed Grand Vampire, Salome DesArbes was still fixing and selling cars in high heels on Day 88. I knew her for about two "real"years. Heck, the laptop died before she did. She was very good.
Instructor
#12 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 1:45 AM
That happened to Herb Oldie in my old megahood. Either he bugged, or the neighborhood age correct didn't affect him for whatever reason, because his age didn't get fixed and he died very early on leaving poor Coral by herself for a very, very long time.

This time in my megahood reboot his age is in line with everybody else so hopefully he'll live more than 2 rounds. I'd barely gotten to know him.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 3:05 AM
That's harsh, because base game, Herb has 10 days to live and Coral has 12. I think. Quick anyway.

I find that the best use for them is to stuka them in to the Pleasants. With their 20K and grandparent elder beingness, they can save that family.
Theorist
#14 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I think Maxis define the age when Sims become Elders by the female menopause -- i.e. when females become infertile. Of course many real life women live for many, many years after the menopause.

I don't think women regularly get their menopause in their 80s. Because that's the age the Elders look like. Sorry but to me everything about the Elders says "old age" not 45-55 (the average age for menopause)
Plus, you probably don't know, but female Sims lose their ability to get pregnant during the last days of adulthood (I think it's five days before they become Elders, and the same is true for male Sims and alien pregnancy)
This is programmed like that so a pregnancy will not suddenly be ended by Sim aging up into an age where they can't be pregnant, but for lore reasons it could be interpreted as "menopause"
So menopause in Sims happens in late adulthood.

Of course everything about Sims is somewhat exaggerated and cartoony. And trying to bring real life numbers and ages I to Standard gameplay is, imho, never quite fruitful.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Feb 2021 at 1:27 PM
I wanna clarify I don't current have TS2 on PC installed. I wanna know cause to fake their deaths on a console version where they don't age or die. If I'm unable to get a clear answer, than I probably stick to what I read on the wiki annd apply it.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 7th Feb 2021 at 4:33 PM
Quote:

If they do that, then they were incorrect. Most women start menopause in their mid-late forties, and most do live at least 30 years after. I just resent the idea that when you hit a certain age you automatically turn into a stooped, graying elder. How ageist is that!

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#17 Old 7th Feb 2021 at 11:55 PM
The Sims aging process is very much simplified compared to real life. We age gradually over our whole life. Our Sims have six or seven distinct lifestages, and age suddenly when they transition from one stage to the next. Maxis could have had more, shorter, lifestages, but basically there always going to to be sudden changes when they age up. In this scenario the adult stage is basically the one where Sims are capable of procreation. It's not just Maxis. Many Simmers seem to lose interest in their Sims once they're no longer capable of producing offspring. They're still useful till the youngest children reach the teen stage and can cook meals for themselves, but after that they can be shunted off to an old people's home where they can sit and vegetate until the Grim Reaper comes to cart them off to the cemetery. (I'm afraid this is what we tend to do with real old people in the West today.) I've seen several threads here about what to do with Elders. To me they seem to imply that the purpose of life is procreation, and, if you can't do that, then you're really of no value.

Sims don't suffer from debilitating ailments of old age that afflict many of us, so there's no reason why they can't continue to live full and fulfilling lives right to the end. Elders can be dressed in adult clothes, and it can make a lot of sense to dress the younger Elders this way. I believe this is what joandsarah77 does. If Elders have started in a career as adults they can continue in it, and still get promotions. (Pescado's noagediscrimination lets even CAS-created Elders take adult jobs.) And of course Sims from Teens to Elders can own and run businesses. (I'm not sure about YAs.)

I'm not at all in favour of writing women off when they reach the menopause. But I think there is a current within our society that thinks procreation is the main purpose of life, and this current affects both Maxis and the Simming community. Some Family Sims definitely think that way.

Personally I'm rather reluctant to let the Grim Reaper claim my Sims at all. I love life and so do my Sims. There's always something else they can do tomorrow.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 4:54 AM
My sims who start their families later in life might only live to see the gradchildren of their oldest child or at least see them married and the youngest age to teen before they pass on from old age or from illness.Sims who get to start a family sooner might actually see some grandchildren though only from their oldest child.Some couples migh tonly see their one child become teen before expiring from old age because my games are in historical times.
Instructor
#19 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I just resent the idea that when you hit a certain age you automatically turn into a stooped, graying elder. How ageist is that!

Gradual graying would've been a cool feature. My dad's about to hit 50 and I think he's pretending not to notice his hair isn't quite as brown these days
Forum Resident
#20 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 11:24 PM
I just ignore the whole aging issue (via a mod), and age sims up/kill them off when I want to and not when the game says they should. :D
Forum Resident
#21 Old 16th Apr 2021 at 8:18 AM
I honestly don't think EAxis thought this deep when designing the age ranges. The menopause thing might seem """reasonable""" but I'm pretty sure it's like literature class where you can pretty much say anything with twisted logic (EG my hobby was proving to my teacher that everything we read was anti-religion, including a poem from the Bible). I think the ages were made like this because it's a game and you have to represent the main life stages of a person and have it still make sense gameplay-wise. It's kinda the same as with the pre-teen stage people kinda wanted a few years back for the sims 4, it would be more realistic, sure, but like, IRL that only lasts like 3 years. Is it really worth it to have a seperate life stage for something that insignificant? Teens are perfect for making embarrassing phases happen, and kids are perfect to dress in pretty clothes. Then again, this is EAxis, meaning they kinda majorly screwed up the ages, and made parents grow old before their kids became adults. Or maybe that was an incentive to use the elixir of life? Who knows.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 16th Apr 2021 at 1:57 PM
I ignore the aging thing too and just don't think about it. I figure Sims 2 Sims age differently than we do and I allow each sim to get 1 bottle of elixir to give me some more time with them but still have them age up and eventually pass on.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#23 Old 16th Apr 2021 at 2:18 PM
There are some variables: If any elder has (or has adopted) a child, he will live until the kid turns into a teen (at least) - and if it is an elder couple, one of them will live until the kid becomes a teen, especially if there is nobody else in the family to care for the kids.

It seems possible (playing my retirement subhood for years) that elders who work out regularly in the gym/go jogging/ keeps fit somehow tend to live a couple of days longer than the unfit ones.

Of course I put elixir of life to good use in my game too
Mad Poster
#24 Old 16th Apr 2021 at 3:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
There are some variables: If any elder has (or has adopted) a child, he will live until the kid turns into a teen (at least) - and if it is an elder couple, one of them will live until the kid becomes a teen, especially if there is nobody else in the family to care for the kids.

That part about elders seems to be true-in Tinsel Town, Darrell Walton is going to pass away the day after his triplets turn to teens. I didn't know that was the rule for elders-no matter if you have an aging mod in place or not. (I do.)

Mad Poster
#25 Old 16th Apr 2021 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I just resent the idea that when you hit a certain age you automatically turn into a stooped, graying elder. How ageist is that!

Personally I have more problems with the jump between child and teen (because sincerely - it makes storytelling really difficult. Kids go from looking like 8 to looking like 16, which is really weird). I can deal with baby/toddler and toddler/child, even if those two jumps are also a bit long for my taste.

Between adult and elder, I don't have any issues whatsoever. I'm not too hung up in the "exact" age of my sims - when they're elders, I'm thinking they're more in the 70+++ area (which somewhat better fits the elder body type) than 60. Besides, there's mods to fix clothes, hair and their walk, if you need that.

For adults, add on some light wrinkles and lightly greying hair, and you have a mid-stage in no time for storytelling. I never had any issues for regular gameplay, because the adult stage is pretty long as-is (TS2 is fine, but it feels a bit long in TS3 and endless in TS4), and I don't play a lot with elders anyway (my sims kind of stay adults forever, unless there's a storytelling element... ) because I absolutely hate not knowing when they'll pass away, mostly because I'm really lousy at keeping track of it.
Page 1 of 2