Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 1:56 PM
Default I either forgot or doing entirely wrong to set TS2 to be played in windowed mode
Playing it with CD inserted, I dunno how to make the game set to be windowed mode played. I did add " -w" ending to the shortcut in the Target typing box thing, but my game only gets booted through autorun.exe. The Sims 2.exe in program files doesn't have the Target thing, so what do I do?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 3:02 PM
Right click your Sims 2 executable in Program Files (make sure it's the one for your latest EP/SP) and click 'Send to'> Desktop (create Shortcut). Then change the target there.
Game Help:Windowed Modewiki
When you insert your CD, you should be able to hold down the shift key to stop it from autorunning.
Instructor
#3 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 5:22 PM
This has me realizing I set mine into window'd mode a month or two ago and don't remember at all how I did it should I ever wish to go back to full screen. I like window'd 'cause I can easily flip between google sheets, twitter, whatever else I may be doing. But it probably wouldn't hurt to try and remember what I did.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 7:48 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 9th Apr 2021 at 8:01 PM.
In the shortcut (make one for the actual "Sims2EP9.EXE" or whatever other EP you use if you don't have M&G or the UC, and not for the launcher), add a space and -w behind the last "

"actual shortcut" -w

More info in the link above if need be
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 11:38 PM
Nvm, I think it be impossible. On discord, people asked to change ts2.exe file, but it throws unspecified error (I can only boot up the game with autorun.exe) and the only way to fix is reinstall which I don't plan on any time soon Oh well, it's fine as I'll be installing Bon Voyage (latest/least pack I have atm) and try that -w method again with its executable.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 8:27 AM
@SneakyWingPhoenix Are you looking at the files on the CD? For the disc install of Bon Voyage (assuming you are using individual disc install and not combo packs) you need to create a shortcut to C:\Program Files(x86) \EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Bon Voyage\TSBin\ Sims2EP6.exe.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 4:32 PM
Yeah I pretty know where to find the expansions/stuff executables.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 4:56 PM
I'm a bit surprised autorun.exe on the CD tries to start the game. It's never done that for me. In my case the disc I need to start is the Double Deluxe DVD. It never tried to start the game. On my old netbook, running Windows 7, all it ever offered to do was install the game. (Not needed as it's been installed there since 2012!) On my new computer (a gaming laptop running Windows 10) I just get a message asking what I want to do. I just ignore that message, and start my game the old-fashioned way with the Maxis launcher. My DVD is semi-permanently in my (external) DVD drive. Usually The only time autorun usually runs is when I plug the external drive back into the USB port after using the computer as a portable.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 5:16 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Apr 2021 at 8:12 PM.
If you have BV as your latest, make a shortcut to the "SimsEP6.EXE" file.

(or use whichever "Sims2EPX.EXE" file that's your latest EP/SP/collection or similar, usually in order of original release. If you have M&G or UC as your latest, make a shortcut to the "SimsEP9.EXE" file).

You should make the shortcuts to where the files are installed on your computer. You should not do windowed mode to the autorun file.

If autorun is the problem, you can set Windows to block autorun from CDs (it will pop up as a choice instead of running) so you can use the new shortcut instead.

You'll have to click the shortcut for it to do anything, so if the autorun gets to carry through it runs the game with the regular settings.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 6:27 PM
@simmer22 Last EP is Bon Voyage, I gave the path in my post above.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 7:41 PM
I have UC installed and my shortcuts to load the game both have the game launch in windowed mode and one is a special executable from here to fix an issue in the game and it's also set to load windowed mode.I managed to get UC running in Windowed mode almost right after installing it and it only took an hour after getting it installed to have a Windowed mode shortcut in place and be able to launch the game in a window.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Apr 2021 at 12:27 AM
IIRC, if autorun.exe is what launches your game then it will bypass whatever commands you've added to your shortcut. It's probably best to find a no cd and then run the game from a shortcut with the aforementioned -w command argument.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#13 Old 11th Apr 2021 at 1:00 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Apr 2021 at 2:36 AM.
If you're on Windows 10 there's two places you can change the Autorun settings if need be.

Settings (Cogwheel icon in the start menu) --> Devices --> Autorun
(Might be enough to set it to off - you'll be asked whether you want to run the media, or you'll have to click an icon to make it start).

(This one I think is the same for lower Windows versions, too. It has a few more options)
Control Panel (write it in the start panel, click when it appears) --> Autorun --> Change Standard Settings

Disabling autorun entirely will affect other things like external harddrives and USB drives, but you should still be able to use the drives, they'll just not automatically start running but instead you should get a prompt on whether you want them to start up.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 11th Apr 2021 at 1:52 AM
Shortcuts aren't an option for me, because BG one doesn't doesnt work and I dont plan reinstalling or installing expansion pack just yet. So yeah, no point for me though.

Nevertheless, thank you fof respones and appreciate the help

Mad Poster
#15 Old 11th Apr 2021 at 2:44 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Apr 2021 at 2:55 AM.
Maybe you're trying to change the actual EXE file, and that's probably why you don't get the right options and why it's not working. You have to change the shortcut, not the EXE file.

Right-click the EXE file and choose "create shortcut" (or click/drag-ALT-drop the file to the desktop, this also creates a shortcut), then right-click the new shortcut and choose Properties, and change the "Target" as described above.

It should work for the basegame, too. You'll have to use a shortcut for the "TheSims2.EXE" file that starts up the game, not the launcher or any other EXEs. Basically, use a shortcut for whatever EXE file (whether it's the BG or an EP) is the latest of what you've got installed at the moment.
Alchemist
#16 Old 11th Apr 2021 at 2:57 AM
@SneakyWingPhoenix, what's your latest installed SP? And/or do you run TS2 Store Edition? Because whatever latest edition the game is running, that's the one your shortcut should be to. IIRC, some SPs act as the latest edition so that's the exe you actually need to use. Also, it's rare, but I do want to note that for those of us still running the TS2 Store Edition, that will always be the exe you need to run. (This is what I do, actually. M&G is my latest edition, but because I have TS2 Store Edition installed, that's the exe the game runs on and the one I make the shortcut to.)

Not sure if this is what's happening in your case, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case. It could be why the exe isn't working for you. I'd also make sure you're creating a shortcut to the right file. Like simmer22 mentioned, there's another exe file for the launcher. Make sure you aren't trying to make a shortcut to that; that could also be why you have errors. Why not take some screenshots and show us your program folder and what file you are trying to make into the shortcut, and the error you are getting. You took the time to post here, after all--might as well try and solve the problem; don't give up so soon.

Also, @CASnarl, you can have more than one shortcut. I made two--one for windowed mode and one regular. That way I can easily run the game in whatever mode I need atm.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 11th Apr 2021 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Maybe you're trying to change the actual EXE file, and that's probably why you don't get the right options and why it's not working. You have to change the shortcut, not the EXE file.

Right-click the EXE file and choose "create shortcut" (or click/drag-ALT-drop the file to the desktop, this also creates a shortcut), then right-click the new shortcut and choose Properties, and change the "Target" as described above.

It should work for the basegame, too. You'll have to use a shortcut for the "TheSims2.EXE" file that starts up the game, not the launcher or any other EXEs. Basically, use a shortcut for whatever EXE file (whether it's the BG or an EP) is the latest of what you've got installed at the moment.

Launching from shortcut throws unspecified error and recreating it makes no difference.

I have just base game, no expansion or stuff packs.

Alchemist
#18 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 3:07 AM
@SneakyWingPhoenix, sorry, thought someone would post. Did you try the CFF Explorer on your new shortcuts? CFF Explorer Tutorial for Sims 2. I needed to do that in order to get my shortcuts to work.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Scholar
#19 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 4:52 AM
@SneakyWingPhoenix

Perhaps you have to add the resolution you want the game to launch in a window to?

I have a batch file that I double-click to do some deletion of logs in folders before the game launches. This is what it says:

So aside from placing "-w", you have to add "-rWWWWxHHHH" to it? Maybe that's the missing part?

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!