Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 4:33 AM
Default Skysims red hair recolors - am I allowed to upload these?
Hi everyone! Lately I've been working on some red hair recolors because I find that certain custom hairs have rather... lacking... red versions. I was wondering, am I allowed to upload recolors even if the creator didn't explicitly state their reupload policy?

Here's a picture of the stuff I was working on- any criticism is welcome!

Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 11:42 AM
Yes - if a creator doesn't say anything about whether or not a certain reuse of their content is okay, then it's okay.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
just a girl
#3 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:24 PM
I like the textures. Don't quite like the dark hair look on 4th sim, but I guess it's a mesh or pose problem.
Instructor
#4 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 4:55 PM
Likely a Mesh issue more or less bone assignments to be specific.

These look really nicely done. I would probably say the girl all the way on the left's colour looks very saturated or bright in comparison to the others. Maybe a small desaturation of that one will go nicely.

Also what textures and colourings are you playing with?

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Yes - if a creator doesn't say anything about whether or not a certain reuse of their content is okay, then it's okay.

Great to hear, thank you! I've tried googling their content policy but couldn't find anything, so hopefully it'll be okay!

Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
I like the textures. Don't quite like the dark hair look on 4th sim, but I guess it's a mesh or pose problem.

Thanks! The textures are from the original hair, just that the red colors were literally red and not a more realistic ginger. I mean come on, does any natural redhead really have hair this color?!

I think the dark hair is a bit warped because of the pose, but I swear it's fine otherwise :P

Quote: Originally posted by CircusWolf
Likely a Mesh issue more or less bone assignments to be specific.

These look really nicely done. I would probably say the girl all the way on the left's colour looks very saturated or bright in comparison to the others. Maybe a small desaturation of that one will go nicely.

Also what textures and colourings are you playing with?

Thanks! I've tried tweaking the lightest color a lot since I always felt it was either slightly too bright or slightly too ashy, but it probably doesn't help that the model has a very grayish skin :P

The textures are the original Skysims textures and I used Pooklet's color actions so I have to thank both of them for their high quality work! I was going to use Pooklet's textures as well, but I noticed that they're actually fairly similar (to me, at least) to Skysim's, so I just went ahead and used the original.
Instructor
#6 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mameshiba
Thanks! I've tried tweaking the lightest color a lot since I always felt it was either slightly too bright or slightly too ashy, but it probably doesn't help that the model has a very grayish skin :P

How do the colors look on different skintones? They do look very vibrant (but a nice vibrant, in my opinion) on the current models. But like you said, they have very pale skin, so of course, colors are going to stand out strongly on them.

In any case, these look great.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SleepyTabby
How do the colors look on different skintones? They do look very vibrant (but a nice vibrant, in my opinion) on the current models. But like you said, they have very pale skin, so of course, colors are going to stand out strongly on them.

In any case, these look great.

Thank you! I was debating whether or not I should make these a bit more subdued, but in the end I went a bit brighter since they looked a little too brown for my liking if I darkened them. Here are some quick screenshots on darker skin:

I also recolored 4 more hairstyles- I tried my best to make the colorings consistent! Do you all think these are upload ready?

Instructor
#8 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 8:00 PM Last edited by SleepyTabby : 27th Jul 2014 at 12:57 AM.
Thanks for all the pics. I certainly like them! I do think they're a little bit vibrant, but I kind of feel it suits the generally vibrant world of Sims. I think they look great on different skintones too, and that's important to me, since I like how indiscriminate the Sims are about spawning with S4 skin and red or blond hair.

I think you'd be more than welcome as a hair recolorist here, but I'm pretty new here too. I happen to love the shades you've chosen. The different hairs look pretty consistent to me. The first image of the last four you posted (sorry, that sounds confusing; I mean the one with the hair coiled over her shoulder) does look a pinch lighter than the others, though. The others 3 images look the same as the very first hair recolor you posted, to me.

Keep up the great work! One thing I particularly like is the soft shading; it doesn't look harsh and over-shiny, nor is it shaded with deep reds. The lightest color looks like a vibrant redgold (or strawberry blond, take your pick).
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 8:18 PM Last edited by TreeSims : 31st Jul 2014 at 10:17 PM.
I like them! But exactly, I don't really like skysims hair, especially when viewed to the side. Blergh :p

"Do you think that God stays in heaven because he too lives in fear of what he has created?" - a quote from spy kids 2