Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 4:48 PM
Default how to mesh??
hii so i have a Tumblr page, itsmattyu, and there i am sharing pics of my projects on custom bodyshapes, but even if i am able to use simpe, milkshape and bodyshop properly, i am not able to create brand new 3d cc clothes or shoe swapping between two meshes. I have, in milkshape, used some e-neillan clothes conversion and resized it to fit my bodyshape, and i did the usual process of creating a mesh by a body shop project in simpe, but the 3d clothes do not show up in game, and the texture look all messed up. what am i doing wrong? what should i actually do to create brand new 3d clothes ccs?? there are no tutorial useful for newer meshes and tecnologies, and the useful ones are usually in russian. can someone please help me??
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 6:15 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 19th Apr 2020 at 6:32 PM.
Have you had a look at tutorials?

If you want to make truly unique meshes, you need to learn how to mesh, and it depends a bit on which program you use. Most tutorials show how to edit meshes, but not how to make them.

A lot of TS2 creators tend to use parts of TS2 meshes maybe along with TS3/4 meshes and combine these into new clothing items. You can get pretty far along with a project by doing some mesh frankensteining. It's basically the same principle as a shoe swap, but may require some fixing. Pretty sure there's a shoeswap tutorial on GoS (link to tutorial section below).

It could be an idea to search out videos on Youtube. That's usually what I do, anyway. Use search phrases like for instance
- sims 2 meshing milkshape
- sims 2 meshing Blender
- milkshape meshing
- Beginner tutorial Blender
- UV mapping Blender
or whatever else you're looking for at the moment.

Milkshape isn't the easiest program to make meshes in (I tend to use it mainly for simple edits and frankensteining), but there's a lot of meshing tutorials for Blender you could use to adapt to TS2 clothes, but you'd have to work around a TS2 mesh instead of a TS3/4 mesh. There are plugins for Blender so you can do parts of or even all the work in Blender. I suggest you have a look at some very basic meshing tutorials first, and perhaps seek out some on low-poly meshing, so you don't end up making something that staggers your TS2 game to a halt (reasonable polycount for TS2 tends to be below 10.000, preferably well below 5000. Extremely detailed CAS meshes shouldn't be above 20.000, especially clothes and hair, as this can be a problem for the ingame shaders and may cause the clothes/hair to turn invisible - and it's always best to start out low and build up, rather than start extremely high and have to somehow remove a lot of polys).

For how to put them ingame, the main difference tends to be that you'll have to do bone assignments (there are various techniques, but it can be done via a 3t2/4t2 tutorial from an OBJ export, or more or less manually). Depending on the detail level and such, you may also have to learn how to add groups to the mesh/recolor. You'll also have to learn how to UVmap the mesh.

Again, there are a lot of tutorials on how to do this on Youtube, and also via Google searches. The ones I've found are in English (if you use English search words, you should get English results).

If you already know how to make a new mesh file, link it to the recolor file, and get it ingame, then you're quite far ahead already.
Other than that, have a look at the tutorial sections here - there's a lot of neat tricks to pick up:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._Body_Tutorials
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...arter_Tutorials
https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard....php?board=34.0
https://ts2tutorialdatabase.tumblr.com/ (Meshing, Recoloring, Edit with SimPE - Bodyshop tutorials are at the top of each section).

And finally, start with something relatively simple, like a shoe swap. You'll pick up a lot of tips and tricks on how to combine mesh parts from there, which will be helpful later. Then you can maybe do something like a frankenmesh (put together tops, bottoms, arms, shoes, etc. from different meshes) and learn how to work around a UVmap along with how to adjust and edit various parts of the mesh, maybe some more advanced bone/joint assigning. Or maybe you go through a tutorial on meshing and decide to add some unique meshed details. Maybe do a 4t2/3t2 mesh so you get to do some more advanced editing to make it fit the TS2 body, perhaps also how to add morphs, and how to transfer bone/joint assignments to a TS2 mesh.

Basically, if you've never done it before, try to start out relatively simple to learn the basics. Meshing clothes (especially from scratch) can be difficult, so it is handy to learn the basics first. Personally, I started out meshing objects (mostly because they don't move around as much )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Have you had a look at tutorials?

If you want to make truly unique meshes, you need to learn how to mesh, and it depends a bit on which program you use. Most tutorials show how to edit meshes, but not how to make them.

A lot of TS2 creators tend to use parts of TS2 meshes maybe along with TS3/4 meshes and combine these into new clothing items. You can get pretty far along with a project by doing some mesh frankensteining. It's basically the same principle as a shoe swap, but may require some fixing. Pretty sure there's a shoeswap tutorial on GoS (link to tutorial section below).

It could be an idea to search out videos on Youtube. That's usually what I do, anyway. Use search phrases like for instance
- sims 2 meshing milkshape
- sims 2 meshing Blender
- milkshape meshing
- Beginner tutorial Blender
- UV mapping Blender
or whatever else you're looking for at the moment.

Milkshape isn't the easiest program to make meshes in (I tend to use it mainly for simple edits and frankensteining), but there's a lot of meshing tutorials for Blender you could use to adapt to TS2 clothes, but you'd have to work around a TS2 mesh instead of a TS3/4 mesh. There are plugins for Blender so you can do parts of or even all the work in Blender. I suggest you have a look at some very basic meshing tutorials first, and perhaps seek out some on low-poly meshing, so you don't end up making something that staggers your TS2 game to a halt (reasonable polycount for TS2 tends to be below 10.000, preferably well below 5000. Extremely detailed CAS meshes shouldn't be above 20.000, especially clothes and hair, as this can be a problem for the ingame shaders and may cause the clothes/hair to turn invisible - and it's always best to start out low and build up, rather than start extremely high and have to somehow remove a lot of polys).

For how to put them ingame, the main difference tends to be that you'll have to do bone assignments (there are various techniques, but it can be done via a 3t2/4t2 tutorial from an OBJ export, or more or less manually). Depending on the detail level and such, you may also have to learn how to add groups to the mesh/recolor. You'll also have to learn how to UVmap the mesh.

Again, there are a lot of tutorials on how to do this on Youtube, and also via Google searches. The ones I've found are in English (if you use English search words, you should get English results).

If you already know how to make a new mesh file, link it to the recolor file, and get it ingame, then you're quite far ahead already.
Other than that, have a look at the tutorial sections here - there's a lot of neat tricks to pick up:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._Body_Tutorials
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...arter_Tutorials
https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard....php?board=34.0
https://ts2tutorialdatabase.tumblr.com/ (Meshing, Recoloring, Edit with SimPE - Bodyshop tutorials are at the top of each section).

And finally, start with something relatively simple, like a shoe swap. You'll pick up a lot of tips and tricks on how to combine mesh parts from there, which will be helpful later. Then you can maybe do something like a frankenmesh (put together tops, bottoms, arms, shoes, etc. from different meshes) and learn how to work around a UVmap along with how to adjust and edit various parts of the mesh, maybe some more advanced bone/joint assigning. Or maybe you go through a tutorial on meshing and decide to add some unique meshed details. Maybe do a 4t2/3t2 mesh so you get to do some more advanced editing to make it fit the TS2 body, perhaps also how to add morphs, and how to transfer bone/joint assignments to a TS2 mesh.

Basically, if you've never done it before, try to start out relatively simple to learn the basics. Meshing clothes (especially from scratch) can be difficult, so it is handy to learn the basics first. Personally, I started out meshing objects (mostly because they don't move around as much )

Thank u SO much for the quick reply, i appreciate it and yes, i have used milkshape and simpe, i know how to modify a sims 2 custom mesh or a maxis mesh, how to create a recolor or a mesh file, and how to add reflectivity or shine to a dress. What i am not really good at is doing shoe swapping, mainly because the meshes i work with are pretty high poly, but i find it so difficult, and i am not able to create new 3d clothes. I am trying to keep it easy, in fact i don't want to create a clothibg from scratch, but i am working with already converted clothes from the sims 4 on a maxis mesh, and resize it to fit my bodyshapes, but in game the clothing do not show up, and i don't knoe if it is because i miss something and i can't treat the file normally, creating a mesh and texture and importing the saved model with clothes resizwd to fit the body or because i am doing sonething wrong
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 8:23 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 19th Apr 2020 at 8:36 PM.
If you try it out with a lower-poly mesh first, it's a bit easier to figure out what to do. High-poly meshes are notoriously difficult to work with (I tend to avoid them, both for the sake of my game and my sanity...).

If the clothes don't show up it could be the files, but it could also be a problem if shaders are turned off in your game. Any CAS-related items above 20.000 polys is a bit touch-and-go, and seems to not play well with the game if shaders are turned off (they turn invisible).

You can try to enable shaders with the cheat "boolProp useShaders true" (false turns it off). Be warned that if they're not currently turned on, this could trigger some issues in your game, such as pink-flashing. This article explains more about what shaders are: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...aps_and_Shaders

Other than that,

Could be a problem with the UVmaps (for all CAS items, they need to be within the texture square. If they're on the outside, the mesh will show invisible or have other issues). You can access the Milkshape UV editor with "Window --> Texture Coordinate Editor" (it's rather bad as a "from scratch" UV editor, but works fine for simple edits).

Could also be a problem with the bone/joint assignments. If you click the "Draw vertices with bone colors" box under "joints" in Milkshape, the mesh should show up colored. If it has white areas, the mesh isn't properly linked to the skeleton.

And you probably know you have to export and import CAS meshes as Unimesh (not as OBJ) to/from SimPE, but I'll mention it just in case.

Also make sure the mesh comments (in Milkshape) are properly done.