Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 6:29 AM
Something else to remember: Elixir of Life. I find it maybe too easy for sims to fulfill their wants, pick up a ton of aspiration points, and stay in the same age group for longer than others. TBH it would have made the game better if sims had fears of drinking the Elixir,

(Yes, I spoilered that, just in case there's someone reading that would want me to.)

And, IRL there are instances of male senior citizens getting wed to younger brides and having children, just as possible with the game.

I just think that time and space passes unevenly in the game and they think either nothing of it or just take it as a given (hence why they'll walk the opposite direction off their lot to visit a community lot next door in the other direction). Something I've done with twins is have the parents split up, one takes a child with them when they move out, so it's entirely possible that playing one family but not the other could lead to both of them aging differently.

And, on large families, from now on I'm going to be sure that there's a point, not just 'y'know, I think Don should have a one night stand with Brandi this time around since he's already been with the Calientes and Cassandra Goth this playthrough.'
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 6:59 AM
I don't play a rotational game. So naturally there is no linear connection between Sims.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 7:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
It's far more interesting when the other sim is playable rather than a townie.

If that's true then you need more stories for your townies!

Elixir of life does have a negative side. If you drink it in low aspiration it takes days off your life.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 9:59 AM
Inter-generational mixing seems par for the course if you play a hood of any size for long enough, especially if new residents keep on drifting in. My first native-born sim (first generation or G1) was born on Day 8, the most recent G1 sim on Day 157, six days after the birth of my first G4 native. They are, at least in theory, a viable future couple. (Not in practice, because one of them is already pledged to someone else.)

When determining which generation a sim belongs to, I go with the longest ancestral line. That first G4, for example, who goes by the name of Marianne Voleuse, is only G4 on her father's side - Hector son of Bernie son of Jazza, with Jazza being the second G1 born in the hood. Marianne's mother is Marilyn, nee Hamilton, the daughter of Marylena Hamilton and Komei Tellerman (both now deceased. Marylena and Komei don't count as part of my hood, they lived out their playable lives in Downtown rather than the hood proper, so when Marilyn moved in to marry Hector she was in effect a 'Generation 0' sim, like a new sim made in CAS.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 11:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I guess that one of my current challenge hoods might end up like that, Jo, because I started with only adults. So there will be a set period where they are able to procreate and then a lull. Most of my starting generation are approaching infertility, and yet none of the second generation are even teens yet. But as I have a combination of inteen and longer adult age stages with fertility going right up, I suspect generation three will be much more scattered.

That is pretty much how my new hood went as I started with married CAS couples but they have a good 20-30 days off old age yet. I've just started adding some middle age wrinkles, changing hair styles and clothes. To me seeing 20 days seems a very short amount. I use a double aging mod except for teens, I change them to YA after 10 days.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#31 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
Totally normal
I'm 20 and my youngest sibling is 3 years old. Infact there's a bigger age gap between my older sister and my youngest sister (19 years) than my oldest sister and my Mum (18 years)

In my game, Dottie Ottomas (David Ottomas and Jodie Larson's first child) just became a teenager the same day her mother gave birth to her twin siblings Jacob and Nora Ottomas. I think it's near impossible to have sims where all generations are close in aging, unless you very strictly make all sims pregnant at the same time and don't have more than about 3 children. Brandi Broke is a grandmother of an almost teenager, one on the way, a step-grandma to triplet boys and is still popping them out!

That's similar to my family! I'm 15 years older than my youngest sibling.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 1:19 PM
My husband is 13 years older than his younger brother, not because he is the oldest he is/or was the youngest of three and his youngest brother was an oops 13 years later. That brother has only just got married so who knows there may be more of generation 3 yet.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#33 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 3:20 PM
I think I plan out 'generations' as an age group. Such as generation 1 is all the teens to babies in my game currently, Despite the fact that some can trace their great-grandparents and others can only trace their parents. As such, Cassandra Goth is not in the same generation as her younger sister Martha who is a child (and is in the same generation as Cassandra's sons). The 'born-in-game' babyboom generation are currently becoming teenagers, and as such I've made a new row of Greek houses and dorms at the university (for the large amount of sims all going there within the first few years), a Womens institute for pregnant teenagers (just in case), and I'm planning to redo the teenage safe home for runaway teens. I'm not sure when gen 2 will 'start', but I guess when gen 1 become 8 days away from becoming adults, probably because those infants born after the babyboom will have it completely differently from the babyboomers, even if they're from the same parents.

I don't really think you can determine generations in a megahood fully though. Maybe in a neighbourhood which starts from scratch. But even then, the youngest of gen 2 can be a child while the oldest of gen 3 could be a child too.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#34 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 3:47 PM
I would refer to those as "age cohorts" rather than "generations," Bigsimsfan.

After all, why make one term do double duty, and confuse people, when another that fits perfectly already is available?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#35 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 4:03 PM
I was trying to mimic 'generations' in real life ('Gen X', 'Gen Y', etc) where a generation takes place between birth years of about 20 years or so (e.g. Gen Y is 1980 - 2000). I wouldn't call them age cohorts because say a sim has a baby, they don't become part of the 'Teen - babies' generation (which by then would be Young adult - Toddler).

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Test Subject
#36 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 5:00 PM
I actually like this mix of generations, since it provides for interesting plot twists. I have quite a number of instances where a niece is turning an elder, while her aunt has just become an adult, etc.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 9:06 PM
Yep, it's interesting.

Another real life example: My husband's oldest sibling is approaching 50, whereas my youngest sibling is nine. We are the same age. There are basically three age cohorts in the same generation there Or, perhaps, I am one generation younger than he is but we are the same age.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Theorist
#38 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 11:53 PM
I don't like the "Generation X" and "Millenials" artificial "generation" designations that are so popular. ("Generation Y" is now "Millenials," apparently.) According to those artificial rules, my sister and I are different generations, even though we are only three years apart! I agree that "age cohort" or even "age group" is a perfectly fine term, both in game and IRL.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 8:26 PM
When I was in school, I knew a girl whose best friend was also her aunt - they were the same age. Also, that girl was embarrassed because her mother's second husband was only about ten years older than she (the daughter) was. She and her mother could have ended up with children the same age. I think these things only look strange in Sims because the age transitions are so dramatic, instead of gradual aging like real life.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 8:31 PM
I started my neighborhood more that 5 years ago. I don't really remember the time exactly. A few of those CAS sims are still alive. My big family, the Spencers is up to gen 8 on one branch of the tree. I blame my brief fashination with plantsims a few years ago for that one. But I do have alive sims in all generations in all ages . Yep it is one big ball of fire that I think will explode in to a big ERROR any minute. But so far so good. Now I try to get it more synced up but it is not something I work that hard on. I do play a rotational game now so I don't accidentaly skip/forget a household. They are quit a few. It takes me months to get through them all. And they are verry different and fun. Some I only play a few days. Some I play up to a week if I am testing something new. I play verry slow and sometimes I really don't have time to play so I take long brakes. When I started up the game today I had, had a 7-8 week break because of work and then vacation.
Forum Resident
#41 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 12:20 AM
I'd say it's normal, especially if a sim has 10 children. I had one get his mother's lodger pregnant.just as soon as he returned home from college. Then six more with the downtownie he married. When she became too old to have more, he took a mistress and got her knocked up three more times. His eldest child is dead of old age; his youngest just a few days out of college and newlywed. In real-life terms, those offspring would've been spread out over some 35 years or so.
Theorist
#42 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 2:45 AM
There was a professor where I went to art school who would "trade in" his wife for a more recent model whenever his wife got to be about 35 or so. He was in his late 60s/early 70s when I was in school, and had children aged between late 40s/early 50s and 15. I think he was on wife #5 at that point...

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#43 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 3:49 AM
You have to wonder how somebody like that kept finding suckers...

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Page 2 of 2