Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 5:05 PM
Default Academic Probation = Stunted Growth?
So I've had University installed for a while but never really got around to playing a university subhood until recently. I created 3 freshmen: Paris, Georgia and Brett. I made Paris and Georgia the founders of my sorority and moved Brett into a dorm.

Anyway, after playing both households in rotation, Brett did great on his final and was put on the dean's list. Paris and Georgia, however, were put on academic probation. The uni progress bar now shows Brett starting his second semester but Paris and Georgia are starting from day one of their first semester.

I'm kinda worried they won't age now, which means Brett will be at least a few days older than them when they all graduate even though they were all the same age from the start.

Kinda sucks.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 5:10 PM
Well, you can avoid that by keeping Brett on for his three-day post-graduation party period, and sending the two girls back to the main 'hood as soon as they pass their last final. Or just take three days off the girls' adult stage once they've graduated, since they've spent an extra three days of their life redoing uni.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 5:51 PM
College students don´t age anyway. They will have "29 days until they turn elder" whenever you first start playing them back in another subhood or the main hood once they left college. It doesn´t matter, if they did every semester twice after being put on academic probation or if you drop them out without having finished even one semester.

So if you want them to stay the same age just let them finish all their college experiences and start playing them at the same time after they graduated. If they won´t live on the same lot they won´t age in sync anyway. And you can set that up anyway you like.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 5:52 PM
Or you can feed them elixir. Or you can send them to community lots and get them through their semesters faster. Or...there's all kinds of dodges. Don't stress about it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 6:56 PM
I guess I could put Brett on hold until the other two graduate, but I'm worried about sims in the main hood not being in sync with the college graduates.

Let's say Brett has children of his own. They grow up, go to college, and if they fail their classes repeatedly, their parents may end up dead by the time they graduate. I get having to repeat freshman year. It's the aging that doesn't make sense.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 7:20 PM
I'm confused about your confusion, haha. Sims don't age in college. While young adults are studying, Sims back in the main hood don't age at all. So Brett couldn't die while his children are still trying to struggle through their freshman year.

is the problem that you play in rotations? Easy fix: extra rotation for the sorority. Get Georgia and Paris up to where Brett is, then return to your regular schedule.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avis
I'm confused about your confusion, haha. Sims don't age in college. While young adults are studying, Sims back in the main hood don't age at all. So Brett couldn't die while his children are still trying to struggle through their freshman year.

is the problem that you play in rotations? Easy fix: extra rotation for the sorority. Get Georgia and Paris up to where Brett is, then return to your regular schedule.

Thank you, I think you hit the nail on the head!

I may have to change my play style a little. It bugs me that they don't age in college. That means Paris and Georgia could repeat freshman year over and over again and never age a day. It'd be no biggie if they were the only ones I was playing, but playing the uni subhood + main hood in rotation would mean parents aging faster than their YA children, especially if said children didn't work hard enough.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 7:42 PM
Glad I could help! Yeah, I think you might have to tweak your playstyle a little. I just got University myself and have only played three Sims through it. I treated college like its own little microcosm of time. Since they pop out into the main hood with the same number of days until elderhood no matter what they do in college, you kind of have to be mindful of everybody's time when you play rotations, making adjustments as you see fit.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 8:24 PM
They can't repeat freshman year over and over because they would get kicked out if they get academic probation twice in a row. At most I imagine you could do each semester twice, so double the time, and I'm not even sure that is possible.

If you think University lasts too long, Cyjon has mods that shorten it and adjust everything to work with the shorter duration.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 9:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
Thank you, I think you hit the nail on the head!

I may have to change my play style a little. It bugs me that they don't age in college. That means Paris and Georgia could repeat freshman year over and over again and never age a day. It'd be no biggie if they were the only ones I was playing, but playing the uni subhood + main hood in rotation would mean parents aging faster than their YA children, especially if said children didn't work hard enough.

There are various ways to set the rotation up to avoid that. I take the time sims spent in college out of their teen years as those are incredibly long. I used to count every academic year as a day in the main hood, but playing college feels so long that I changed it to every semester.

Now I roll a dice to decide, if a teen goes to college once they have eight days left as a teen. If they don´t go I repeat that every two days and only let them stay in college for however long they had left when they finally went. So if they go with only two days left they drop out after freshmen year and go back into the main hood rotation two days after they left.

Academic probation counts as an extra day for me, which means any sim who goes on academic probation won´t graduate, but will drop out once all the days they had taken out of their teen life stage are used up.

Alternatively you could let them graduate and only put them back into the rotation after the extra days they spent on probation have gone by for the others and take those extra days from the duration of their adult life stage with various hacks.

You could also not count the academic probation and just play them for the original and the probation semester during one rotation, but then academic probation would be more of an advantage than a punishment as they would just have more time in their lifes.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 10:12 PM
With mods like the college adjuster you can also have them do a term paper and then set final exam in 2 hours to make it like they were given another chance to make up their work quota and pass the exam instead of playing through the whole thing again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#12 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
With mods like the college adjuster you can also have them do a term paper and then set final exam in 2 hours to make it like they were given another chance to make up their work quota and pass the exam instead of playing through the whole thing again.

That´s a good idea. I might to that if someone was on academic probation, but really stresses about graduating or has a college career as an LTW. I use the college adjuster all the time, because my semester ends whenever one sim on the lot has managed to fill their semester meter completely up. I usually rather like not having everyone graduating or even going to college.