Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:20 PM
Default "Game Launcher has topped working."
Hey, what's up everyone?

I just tried to play some Sims, but every time I go to start the game, I get this message. I was playing a bit earlier today, and it started up just fine. I stopped playing because I wanted to extract some of the aliens that I had in one of my neighborhoods (through SimPE) so I can potentially use them in another neighborhood, and I also decided to download Sim Blender and place it in my downloads folder. Those are literally the only things that I've done since playing earlier, and now the Launcher won't work long enough for me to even play the game.

Are there any tips on what I should do? Would maybe doing a system restore (to like 5 days ago) be a good idea? Thanks, guys!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:28 PM
Turn your internet off. I've noticed that when I have the internet on, the launcher crashes a second after it loads, but the second I turn it of it's fine.

Simming since 7th grade
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tityanya
Turn your internet off. I've noticed that when I have the internet on, the launcher crashes a second after it loads, but the second I turn it of it's fine.

Ok, I'll try that! The weird thing is that it never done that before, and I usually had it in windowed mode.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:51 PM
The launcher is linked to a page on EA's website, and EA have put something on that page that the launcher can't show. The problem is entirely of EA's making. They fixed it for a while and then broke it again. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence!

If I'm very quick I can usually get it to work, but disconnecting from the internet as tityanya suggests is better (and always works). I usually reconnect to the internet immediately after clicking the Play button. A lot of people here bypass the launcher, but I haven't felt the need to do that myself.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by McGuire406
Ok, I'll try that! The weird thing is that it never done that before, and I usually had it in windowed mode.

Good luck!

Simming since 7th grade
Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:54 PM
Even though sometimes it worked, the launcher has been broken for a while. It's best to just bypass it altogether.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by budwinys
Even though sometimes it worked, the launcher has been broken for a while. It's best to just bypass it altogether.

I was going to suggest this as well.

You should bypass the launcher all together by running the .exe of your latest expansion pack. This way you don't have to worry about the broken launcher and you can jump right into the game.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:05 PM
Man, I cannot believe this worked!! Disconnecting from the Internet... Sims 2 launches fine on my Win 8.1 desktop, but the launcher was crashing on my wife's 8.1 laptop. We've been installing, un-installing and re-installing... But this worked for her! Sweet! Thanks for the tip!!!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:50 PM
Or get the new "The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" through EA support. http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-s...collection-faq/
Scroll down to the bottom and click on the button that says "Contact Us".

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:13 PM
I have the game up and running now. I honestly didn't even realize that it was a problem that others were having. I literally just had it happen to me earlier today for the first time. Thanks, everyone!
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:16 PM
Really? I'm getting ninja skills practicing hitting the "Play" button before the launcher crashes! The launcher is but a minor inconvenience between me and the game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:31 PM
But why not just bypass the launcher? I don't get the love for that thing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
But why not just bypass the launcher? I don't get the love for that thing.

I didn't even know there was an option to bypass it lol.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 4:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by McGuire406
I didn't even know there was an option to bypass it lol.

it's actually been mentioned many, many times on this web site. http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Voyage_Launcher Just do it for your last EP.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#15 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 5:21 AM
Same exact problem with me. Unfortunately, it's EA's fault for linking it to the new website which isn't meant to be shown on the Sims 2 Launcher. I've been able to get it to work, but you have to click "Play" RIGHT when it pops up. If you wait even a couple seconds, it'll crash.

Hope this helps, good luck!

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 5:25 AM
Guys, just use the .exe in your latest expansion folder.

I don't understand. You don't have to play Ninja just to play your game. Double click on the .exe for your latest pack.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 7:42 AM
Bypass,bypass, bypass the launcher - you will have no regrets, ever. It does not only help to start the game. In fact, bypassing the launcher has solved all the problems I had before I started bypassing the launcher.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 8:40 AM
But, why is there a launcher if you don't need it to launch the game properly?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#19 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:22 AM
I thought EA had withdrawn support now for the launcher - that's why they released the UC.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
But, why is there a launcher if you don't need it to launch the game properly?

It was easier as you didn't have to do anything, but once the site went down that went down as well, or at least became buggy. I've bypassed the launcher for years.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#21 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 10:56 AM
Just being nosey.... Does the Ultimate Collection come with a working Launcher?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#22 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Just being nosey.... Does the Ultimate Collection come with a working Launcher?

I'd guess you launch it via Origin. The old launcher was linked to the DRM - you won't miss it and your computer won't either.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#23 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 5:43 PM
@AndrewGloria @maxon UC will place a startup icon on your desktop and you can launch it from there without having to startup Origin or you can start it up through Origin.

To check for up dates to UC you must go through Origin and right click on the UC icon in Origin and check for updates.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 6:14 PM
bypassing the launcher is extremely simple! that's what i did, nearly a year ago.
Inventor
#25 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 7:52 PM
Yeah, I've bypassed the launcher with a shortcut on my Desktop too. But the icon for the launcher's still there right next to it. Because sometimes, I just feel the need to unplug the internet, run the launcher, look at all those colorful icons for all of the EPs and SPs--without a single grayed-out icon among them--and say to myself, "Oh, yeah, baby. I have it all. I am a true Sims 2 completist. I done good."