Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 3rd Jun 2019 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
For the person who asked if there was a booty set up for Sims 4, well nope and frankly I don't think there's enough demand. (it's a polite way of saying no one cares). You could try your luck on the russian sharing sites but I didn't see any pay stuff there.

aaand 2 years later, we finally have downwithpatreon
Advertisement
Smeg Head
#77 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 10:41 PM
Adfly is a hellish swamp cesspit filled with the devil's own diarrhoea.

Even risking your Antivirus suite suddenly doing overtime the second Adfly pops up, then you are, more than half the time, taken to a blocked link that gives you nothing in the end.

Only two types use it today. Morons who don't know the hell your PC goes through.

Or the devious ones who know well the hell your PC will go through, but pretend to give you the free alternative, because, oh look, you also have the paid Patreon link too. (The one they really want people to use.) Who the fuck you trying to fool?

Either way, put it through Adfly, and you can keep your rotten shit, and I'll keep my PC safe, thank you very much.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
One Minute Ninja'd
#78 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 12:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MoozyFoozy
....................I have a conspiracy that TSR pages load a lot slower with Adblock on then when it's off. Like, the pages you browse. It takes forever for the links and pictures to load. I can't decide if it goes faster with Adblock off or if the ads slowly loading on the page make for short visual stimulation to tide me over until everything does load, making the wait seem shorter.

It's not a conspiracy, it's a fact. Leave Adblock on and the delays are prominently posted right on the site that your wait time for a download is 60 seconds (? about that or maybe more) vs. 10 seconds with Adblock off. Regardless of Adblock on or off, subscribing users have favored bandwidth for viewing and downloading. But they make no secret of the fact they're a business, not a free content creator. Hell, TSR was just sold to some other company (not just, I think it was about 6 months ago) for $40 Million. They got that price based on the number of views they could deliver for an ad revenue along with whatever subscriber revenue they generated as well. IIRC, after 1 year full management goes over to the purchasing company who will then be free to changes the terms & conditions however they want, including going full subscriber mode if they so choose. I strongly doubt they would as the number of ad views would then dramatically fall off, as subscriber revenue alone isn't where the money is, it's the personalized ads. Or they could force even subscribers to sit through ads anyway.
Mad Poster
#79 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 1:28 PM
I usually get 180 seconds on TSR when Adblock is detected, and sometimes I get a message saying I can't download unless I turn off Adblock - it's even happened after the whole 180 seconds. (I've got a couple ways around it, so I only get the regular 10 second wait, but still - it's annoying).
Mad Poster
#80 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 1:34 PM
People have to eat.

What no? Where'd you hear that L&P? Content creators don't have mouths!

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#81 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 2:30 PM
I've seen some cc creators start setting up their links through patreon, but they're all free, as in with no wait time at all, but I guess it makes it easier for people to support that person if they so wish. It's an acceptable compromise to me - since they're not holding any content hostage. Although I don't have a problem 'waiting' for content either - I don't NEED more cc technically anyway LOL. What bothers me is when CC creators has the wait for the free version and then they never release the items - or it takes a long time, as if they conveniently forgot about it. Also I feel that it's okay to support the bigger mods, since they actually make the game more enjoyable and improves game quality by 200-300 percent. It's the cc creators that aren't really making enough items of the quality and quantity to warrant a $5-$7(!) monthly fee. Now Some creators have like $1 which is fine - you're still supporting something you enjoy but you don't feel like you're bring bled dry because you liked a couple of boots once.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Smeg Head
#82 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 9:33 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 8th Jul 2019 at 10:04 PM.
When TSR stuff is advertised through another source with a link to download, such as Sims4Updates, even with an adblocker on there is no waiting time other than the standard 10 seconds. What, if any, are the laws prohibiting TSR from forcing their adblocker 60, 180, infinite seconds rule (In fact it locks you out completely if adblocker is detected) to those outside links. Because I remember for a very short spell, they did have that block even on outside links. Now they don't enforce it any more - not that they did it for a long period. As if they were breaking a privacy law or a public law, or some such, and had to quit doing it. Are those kind of external links seen as public domain where TSR are not allowed to force their rules? Or private, and TSR are not allowed to force their rules on someone else's website? Hence removing their short term attempt to do so. Only once you are on the TSR site proper, can you be made subject to their rules.

BTW, if not using any apps to circumvent the TSR blockages (Like me) that external link works even when browsing the TSR site proper, if you can stand the slow page loading times. That once you spot something you like, open link and copy its web page address to a new internet window - creating your own external link - and get the stuff without any delays (Beyond 10 seconds) or warnings about your adblocker. A little bit of a faff around, but still better and far, far quicker than waiting for their rules to slow you down or even block you completely.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
One Minute Ninja'd
#83 Old 9th Jul 2019 at 12:06 PM
Not to wait to download something (because yes there is an obvious timer for that), I mean when you're just browsing around the site, period.

They do give preferred bandwidth to subscribers, so whether it's a function of the current load of subscribers versus free users or just throttling of all free users is unclear. Regardless, yes, a free user may have longer load and scroll times just for browsing.
Field Researcher
#84 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 7:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
They do give preferred bandwidth to subscribers, so whether it's a function of the current load of subscribers versus free users or just throttling of all free users is unclear. Regardless, yes, a free user may have longer load and scroll times just for browsing.

Yep. I have never had an experience with TSR that I would describe as quick, painless, or easy so I would not be surprised if they just throttle all free users/guests. I stopped going there a long time ago, but it seems they got rid of the subscriber exclusive content unless I just no longer know how to navigate their website.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#85 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 9:22 AM
That's right, they no longer have directly pay content, you just pay for a faster visit.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#86 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 1:20 PM
The amount of entitlement in this thread is astounding.

Custom Content is hard to create and anyone who's made it knows that.

I agree with this, but the thing is that you shouldn't be paid for creating content for a game that you actually have no right to. I know that creating content is very difficult and time-consuming, especially if you are starting out and still learning everything, which is why I am still fighting if I should try my hands on things myself, but demanding payment for them is just not on. If you are creating content for a game that you made yourself, then sure, I can see the point of paying some money for that -- after all, you are doing all the work, and you do have the copyright for the game itself and similar.

It's a bit like Fanart. You can make it, you can publish it where other people can see/use/download, but you should not demand payment for creating it because of copyright of characters and similar. I see CC like that. I am grateful to those that create it, and they can make some amazing stuff, but payment is just not on...
dodgy builder
#87 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 2:42 PM
I don't have a clue what you're talking about, but then I subscribe so .... I don't expet things to be free.
Mad Poster
#88 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 4:06 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Jul 2019 at 4:17 PM.
I've seen some people use meshes someone else made (often free ones extracted from other games), and either demanding payment or putting them under an adfly link, which is not okay because they're not the original creator.

I've had instances where someone converted my TS2 meshes to TS3 or TS4, and proceeded to put an adfly link on the download, even if I've always had in my tou that adfly and pay/donation walls should be banned from any conversions or recolors of my meshes, and that pisses me off. So for one particular item, since the items were originally my meshes and recolors, I felt I was in my full right to put them up for download again with no adfly and also updated (because there were a few borked recolors in the conversion). The items were originally shared for free on the creator's old site and I'd let them convert as long as it was not put under an adfly link - but then I stumbled over them on their new site under an adfly link, which in my opinion is very rude. So yeah. If anyone pulls that stunt again, that's what's going to happen. I'm not going to allow any of my work to be put under any sort of paywall or come anywhere near adfly if I can avoid it.

I very much appreciate downloading free content from other people, so I think they should be able to download my stuff for free, too. I sometimes borrow mesh parts or textures or even ideas from other people, and I don't think it's right to demand pay for someone else's work, particularly not if they shared their content for free.

Adfly and its relatives are some creepy buggers, particularly now when the downlaods are hidden under so many layers, so nothing short of a properly working adfly skipper can get through them - if that.
Test Subject
#89 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 4:43 PM
I don't mind payment in cases of original CC creators using patreon in order to give *some* downloads (I don't think it's very fair to make all paid, though)., however when they use bothersome sites such as adfly and add layers upon layers of annoying ads, that's when I get ticked off. There has been certain creators and CCs I've had to avoid due to this, it lags my computer like crazy which isn't worth it for just some piece of clothing. I also don't think that retextures or recolors should be monetized by creators, as they originally use someone else's base. That's just making money off of others, imo.
Test Subject
#90 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 10:00 PM
I don't personally see the big deal. With most content creators you are either paying to access content early or getting redirected through a couple of links, so we can wait for the former and learn to not eat redirections for the later. Even the exclusive content can be now be obtained rather painlessly. And as long as enough people pays and/or keeps eating redirections the content creators stay motivated to create more content. Without the vague promise and, in most cases, the very unrealistic fantasy of big money probably fewer stuff would be getting made. Stuff we can get completely for free, regardless of what the creators actually want. So, like, yay?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#91 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 6:08 AM
Wow.. This exploded again, 2 years after I posted it. My thoughts haven't changed much, though now I am a professional, an adult.
A few thoughts; ad.fly and clk.sh are horrible, awful things, and have become even more corrosive on the internet. Clk.Sh linked me sites that automatically downloaded malware, just by trying to click through the ads, like you have to. I dislike creators that force link shortners even more now.
Field Researcher
#92 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 9:51 AM
Ads are fine. But I have 0 respect for users of adfly/link shorteners, I will just not download. I remember trying to download something and the link shortener kept asking me to allow notifications for a shady website or it won't let me move on. That's pretty infuriating when you know it's gonna install some bad shit on your pc but otherwise you can't download. I have given donations (ATS for example) and whitelisted those sites because the creators actually give a crap about not inflating your pc with viruses.
Field Researcher
#93 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wanderlight
" creating takes work, effort and imagination. It takes time. It takes the creator not giving up on a game that's buggy AF and not giving up on wanting to get their content out there.
We pay for services we need and want every single day. CC isn't any different
The fact is, CC for free is a privilege, not a right."

You put it so well.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Yes as someone who creates mods and has a Patreon I agree. I also take request and release mods after 3 weeks. However, I am working on my new website and will go back to donations soon. The issue is no one ever donates and considering I work over 30 hours a week while in grad school, it takes time.

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Scholar
#94 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 8:14 PM
With mods and CC it has to do with the quality and the consistency if people donate or not. I don't think anyone minds people charging for something that takes a lot of time to create and keep up to date, and where the quality and thought that goes into it is very high. But even the big mods that have successful patreon pages have free versions - because that's how you build an audience, and they know this. People will smell greed many internet miles away, and steer clear of anything that is 'greedy' - even if it's not greedy per se, and you work your butt of, it's the perceived greed that is the only thing that matters unfortunately. And if people can go somewhere else to find a similar thing or mod or CC, then they will. If free CC is a privilege, then so is getting paid to create CC also - in fact it's been frowned upon for a long time in the Sims community, even if people start to loosen up with that sentiment a bit. So if you manage to get paid for sim content, then good on you, but it is what it is.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Instructor
#95 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 6:36 PM Last edited by sayyadina : 16th Jul 2019 at 6:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
I truly support ripping custom content from creators who use adfly and just putting it somewhere more available.

The most beautiful website in the world

One thing I do is download builds from builders who adds in cc /mods-folders. It´s a lot to sort and go through,but one eventually get most things from most creators in a couple of buildings or so . Using the sims4studio as help makes it rather fun actually.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 17th Apr 2020 at 8:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by neontardis
Does anyone else lose respect for creators when they start being greedy? i.e a popular creator is putting CC into pack and then putting 1-3 link shorteners if you download them free/seperately. Do things like this cause anyone else to completely lose respect for a creator?

Yes. And some of them either don’t know or pretend they don’t know EA’s TOU, which says that downloads can’t be put behind a paywall or, if they are, they have to be put to free for everyone to download after 2-3 weeks.
Forgive me for memorizing this and tolerating to comment on Patreon users, but you may not realize or want to realize that many downloaders are either minors, in which case they may not have parental permission for such purchases, or needy who cannot afford to pay for downloads. A game, it's a different thing and some of them may have gotten it as a gift if someone wants to get whine about it.

And for the money greedy, get the job. There are currently jobs available that can be done from home. Oh why do I point out, well when some people whine about not being able to work and therefore not looking for jobs and then crying for lack of money. I know some may really be to be incapacitated, but some certainly aren’t.

I myself am almost always in short for as cash or cashless, but I don't whine about it. And if I ever made myself downloadable, I would put them for free to share with everyone, despite the fact that making them is not easy and it would be nice to get something out of it, but I keep in mind that not everyone are rich and wants nice content for their game.
Mad Poster
#97 Old 17th Apr 2020 at 4:52 PM
I wouldn't mind adfly links as long as the file that is put behind the adfly link is a substantial zip/rar/whatever file. If you want to make money from your downloads, then by all means do, but don't be ridiculous and put each individual CC item behind a separate adfly link.
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 17th Apr 2020 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
I wouldn't mind adfly links as long as the file that is put behind the adfly link is a substantial zip/rar/whatever file. If you want to make money from your downloads, then by all means do, but don't be ridiculous and put each individual CC item behind a separate adfly link.

Adfly doesn't filter the ads it serves and is quite often a malware vector.
Mad Poster
#99 Old 17th Apr 2020 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alistair
Adfly doesn't filter the ads it serves and is quite often a malware vector.

I see... and really, I don't like adfly.
Test Subject
#100 Old 21st Apr 2020 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by akuminari
I don't mind payment in cases of original CC creators using patreon in order to give *some* downloads (I don't think it's very fair to make all paid, though)

I really don't get this mentality. In the artist community in general it's considered extremely rude to ask artists for free art except when it comes to 3D artists making CC for games for some reason. Then all of sudden the artist is being greedy and selfish if they don't spend their time and effort creating CC for free. I'm not sure why these creators owe us any of their time. Unless they're overcharging it's 100% reasonable to ask for payment for everything they create. Granted, most creators don't charge for all their CC as it would really limit their exposure but if they want to it's completely fair imo.
Page 4 of 6