Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 8:51 PM
Default There's a new Sims-type game coming!
http://paralives.com

https://www.patreon.com/alexmasse

Description:

Quote:
Paralives is an upcoming doll house life simulation indie game for PC and Mac. In Paralives, you are free to build homes, create characters and manage their lives inside their homes and all around an open world town. The game features innovative build tools that are easy to use but powerful for advanced builders. The simulation mode allows players to explore a city full of events, people to meet and ways to make their characters evolve and live an happy life (or not, if they choose to)!

Building a dream house requires a lot of flexible tools. In Paralives, builders are not limited to a grid. Players can build walls of any length and at any angles. Your perfect house contains curved or slanted walls? Paralives has the tools for that. You want to recreate your real life home? Use the in-game measuring tape to recreate the exact dimensions! You can also fully customize object colors and texture as well as the size of windows and furniture. Just select an object, pull the corner anchors and make that window larger or upgrade that single bed to a king bed!

Creating the best life for your characters couldn’t be possible without enjoying what the town has to offer beyond the walls of their houses. That’s why Paralives let’s you explore a cozy open world neighborhood filled with shops, parks, work places and other interesting spots to discover and meet people.

The name Paralives is a reference to parrallel lives, allowing players to live different virtual lives and build homes to stage them.

~Livestreams and Livesimming served up with a soupçon of silly and a whole lot of story.~

http://www.youtube.com/TheJessaChannel

Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 9:34 PM
Open world, not limited to grid, curved and slanted walls, customizable textures and sizes... This game is after The Sims 4 and I like it. :D
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 9:37 PM
Umm, no thanks. I'm not a fan of building or open worlds, and I will never leave TS2, so forgive me if I'm not the most enthusiastic about this new project.

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 9:42 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Jul 2019 at 11:04 PM.
That game is still under development, and from the original topic here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=629570 it looks like there's just one person working on it, and there's still a lot left (they seem to have very big plans for this game), so it probably won't be a competitor to the Sims games for a while yet.

It does seem to have some interesting features, but so far I'm not too impressed with the art style or the characters/pets (since it's not certain if it's just a development thing or if it's close to the actual style they're going for), so I'm keeping my enthusiasm tuned to low settings for now, but with some hope.

(Personally I'd more like a 64-bit overhaul to TS2 so it works better with newer computers and newer hard/software, with a few bits and pieces I've always missed added in, and then I'd be perfectly happy).
Field Researcher
#5 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
That game is still under development, and from the original topic here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=629570 it looks like there's just one person working on it, and there's still a lot left (they seem to have very big plans for this game), so it probably won't be a competitor to the Sims games for a while yet.

Personally I'd more like a 64-bit overhaul to TS2 (so it works better with newer computers and newer hard/software), with a few bits and pieces I've always missed added in, and then I'd be perfectly happy.

I think Aspyr announced they will update The Sims 2 for Mac to 64-bit. As for Windows, we can only hope.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 9:47 PM
^ The Mac version has fewer EPs included, so I wouldn't be interested in it even if someone gave me a Mac for free. Never was much fond of Macs, and that's not about to change.

But I'd be jumping with joy if they did it for the full UC, though. That would've been absolutely awesome.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 9:58 PM
It's something to keep an eye on definitely. I like that they say right away that custom content and mods will be supported in it, hopefully the character models they use will look okay too since those are gonna be the ones to either make it or break it for me since I'm more interested in customizing my characters than building houses. In the pictures/videos available so far it just looks like even more plastic Sims 4 though, of course I get it that it's still in development and there probably will be more texture on everything and so on. Overall I'm interested but also not expecting too much.
Theorist
#8 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 10:24 PM
I was always told anything worth having is worth waiting for. The build features definitely look interesting. Let's see now, how many games I've played that were mainly developed by one person: Minecraft (later hired a team), Banished (a single person built it all on their own), Stardew Valley (all made by one guy until help was had for texture work). So yeah, good games can be made by just one person. And yeah, for me an open world environment is wonderful--I love being able to run around and explore. I blame that on my gaming history starting out with games like Conquest of the New World and Civ games, but gotta love those wide open spaces!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 11:07 PM
^ Not saying that a game made by one person is a bad thing, just that it's probably going to take more time than if there's a team working on it because there's a lot more work involved, particularly when comparing the list of things he wants to include to where it seems he is in the process. Then again, he can work as fast as he can/wants, because there's no team or bosses holding each other back, and he can do whatever he wants, however he wants, so maybe that can be a bonus.

The first versions of Minecraft looked rather "simple", and I'm not sure on which stage Notch decided he needed some help, but the game looks like it's only growing in gamer enthusiasm and in what you can do with it. I've only tried one of the simpler versions (a Playstation version around 4-5 years ago), but I have a guilty pleasure of watching various Minecraft videos on Youtube when I'm bored, and I kind of want to try out the newest version.
Scholar
#10 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 11:38 PM
There's quite long topic 'bout it on the Sims 4 sister-forum there, that alone says something , right?

For now it's another Minecraft clone (in general principle, without the zombies). We shall see.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Undead Molten Llama
#11 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 11:44 PM
Can't say I'm a fan of the art style :/ But the curved walls and easy split levels and the window placement and sizing freedom are nice. If it comes to fruition, maybe I'll have a look. Or maybe not. I'm pretty happy with what I've got and don't really have the desire to play a lot of games that are all very similar.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 11:50 PM
I can see the interest in it for people who really like to build. But, that's not my forte.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#13 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 12:05 AM
Yeah there's already a topic about this in the Sims 4 forum.

I'll repeat what I said there...whether I'm interested in this game or not will depend on how the character models look in the finalized version. Right now they don't look good, but it is in pre-Alpha so a lot can still change on that, and the dog looks pretty decent.
However if the human characters don't improve significantly...well, all the curved walls and grid-less building in the world would not be able to make up for lifeless low-poly characters in a life simulation (for me).

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Theorist
#14 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 12:14 AM
It's kind of funny when a person looks at a little sample and says, "Nope, not for me." Truth be told I'd need to see a lot more than I have and a price point to make a decision like that. Minecraft was the best $20 I ever spent. Stardew Valley was the best $5. See where I'm going with this?

And yes, I'd like to see better textures, am hoping what's currently there are just placeholders.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 1:01 AM
I am sorry I did not see the Sims 4 topic. I did search here before posting. But lots of us here would want to know anyway, so some of us (me) never go to the Sims 4 area.

I am optimistic because there is a lot that can be done by one person nowadays and any competition to EA is good news to me.

:-)

~Livestreams and Livesimming served up with a soupçon of silly and a whole lot of story.~

http://www.youtube.com/TheJessaChannel

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 1:27 AM
I've been watching the Sims 4 thread, not jumping up and down yet since I have no idea what this guys vision is but I do love the curved walls.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#17 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 7:42 AM
I love the curved walls too. And the window resizing. And the pool one can see through the window.

And there is that : not being limited to a grid- thing too.

Sims 2 is the only game I play (well, if you don't count solitaire ) - so I think this one may well become my other game.
Theorist
#18 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I love the curved walls too. And the window resizing. And the pool one can see through the window.

And there is that : not being limited to a grid- thing too.

Sims 2 is the only game I play (well, if you don't count solitaire ) - so I think this one may well become my other game.

I think overall Sims games are my favorites because there's so much to do with it. I mean I can play with Sims, or I can build, or I can make CC. However there are so many other games I've enjoyed: Pokemon, Animal Crossing, SimCity, Cities Skylines, the Civ series, Sierra's City Building series, Zoo Tycoon, Minecraft, HM/Stardew Valley, Banished, etc. I even like SimCity: Societies as a follow-up to SimTown (never could replace SimCity) Mainly I like games where I can plan things out and build stuff, or fish and farm, or collect things, or explore places, or combinations of all those things. Life would be terribly dull if I limited myself to a single game, even if it is as robust as Sims.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 6:18 PM
And here I was hoping the characters (Sims) had the looks and movements of some of the "fight" games I've seen, although I know lots of Simmers don't like realism.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#20 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
...I even like SimCity: Societies as a follow-up to SimTown (never could replace SimCity)

I never played SimCity much (I have one of them, not sure which because I have no clue where the CD is), but I played SimTown a lot when I was a kid. Nowadays I'd probably think it was boring, because it didn't have that much to offer - but back in the day when games were simpler, this kept me occupied for hours.
Theorist
#21 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 7:47 PM
Oh gosh, SimTown did get pretty boring after a while but it was a great game to just kick back and relax and mess around in. I just had fun laying out the town and balancing the jobs and people. That's not to say I always want things that simple but sometimes I do and it was great for that, and Societies falls right in to that kind of mold.

The only SC games I haven't played were the first and the last. I enjoyed the other three very much.

Back to the topic of this other game: I'm thinking of rounded walls with paintings on them. I really like the adjustable multi-level rooms.
Theorist
#22 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 9:25 PM
Didn't Maxis plan to release a game called SimsVille or something like that, but cancelled it because it was too similar to SimTown and didn't offer a lot of hands-on gameplay? Like something about you wouldn't be able to control your Sims directly, just place down objects that have different degrees of attraction to them?

I quite like a lot of city and community building games as well, I could never quite get into the SimCity series, but I like historical and fantasy (or SciFi) themed city-builders. Been playing Dawn of Man quite a bit lately.

And I would freaking LOVE it if somebody made a proper Sims-like game set in Medieval Times.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Theorist
#23 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 9:36 PM
I'm always interested in new games but this seems more like a House Flipper or Planet Coaster type of game and that's not really my thing. But being pleasantly surprised is one of the nice things about having zero expectations. Like Misty, Banished, Stardew Valley and now Overcrowd (still early access on steam) have all been standout games for me so I'm curious to see what sort of game this will be when it's all said and done.
Theorist
#24 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Didn't Maxis plan to release a game called SimsVille or something like that, but cancelled it because it was too similar to SimTown and didn't offer a lot of hands-on gameplay? Like something about you wouldn't be able to control your Sims directly, just place down objects that have different degrees of attraction to them?

I quite like a lot of city and community building games as well, I could never quite get into the SimCity series, but I like historical and fantasy (or SciFi) themed city-builders. Been playing Dawn of Man quite a bit lately.

And I would freaking LOVE it if somebody made a proper Sims-like game set in Medieval Times.

Yes they did and here's a Wikipedia page about it. I was very interested in it so was disappointed when it was canceled. Ultimately maybe it wouldn't have been great but I would have liked to try it.

One fun aspect of Societies is that each town takes on its own characteristic based on the buildings added, like roads have different textures and such and the different styles do feel like completely different environments but sadly the number of buildings is very limited and modding for it never took off because of so much disappointment when it was released.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
It's kind of funny when a person looks at a little sample and says, "Nope, not for me." Truth be told I'd need to see a lot more than I have and a price point to make a decision like that. Minecraft was the best $20 I ever spent. Stardew Valley was the best $5. See where I'm going with this?

And yes, I'd like to see better textures, am hoping what's currently there are just placeholders.

I so get your point and maybe I'll change my mind when it comes out. But, I bought sims 3 and some expansions and sims 4 and some expansions and I play sims 2 exclusively, so...

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Page 1 of 7