Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#30451 Old 22nd Oct 2022 at 3:43 PM
I never understood how to do modular stairs in Sims 2, unless it's only one step with the inside platform. But I'd prefer to do one where I can make the stairs 'smaller' like seen in a lot of plasticbox's houses. I followed this tutorial by MikeInside and it overall works until I get to step 12. Doing that leads to the part of the wall that's supposed to be the 'landing' for the stairs to go up to regular wall size and not be a landing anymore. This leads to the stairs now going straight into a full wall, and I cannot make a decent landing.

Is there a step I'm missing or is the tutorial lacking something?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#30452 Old 22nd Oct 2022 at 4:56 PM
I have a hair where the hair only shows up for YA/A. I want it to show up for elder as well. Usually I would just change the age in the property set, but each age has its own property set file and changing the adult one to include elder leaves the elder one unlinked. Is there a way to change the elder age to reference the correct mesh?
Mad Poster
#30453 Old 22nd Oct 2022 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
...step 12. Doing that leads to the part of the wall that's supposed to be the 'landing' for the stairs to go up to regular wall size and not be a landing anymore. This leads to the stairs now going straight into a full wall, and I cannot make a decent landing.
Is there a step I'm missing or is the tutorial lacking something?
If I'm understanding what you are asking correctly:
It is the next level up that gets flattened across the top. The CFE'd landing needs to stay right where it is; which creates wonky/diagonal wall sections - fixable (so wallpaper looks right) with Numenor's Unlevel Wall #90.

The CFE'd landing stays just how you made it.
The next level up gets flattened across - which will raise the surrounding walls to meet it.

I hope that made sense? Good luck!

ETA: If you don't want a third story on the house - You can either CFE the third story down to 4 clicks before adding the roof, or use the Grid-Adjuster to bring it down even lower, before adding the roof. If you need help with the Grid-Adjuster - @ me or PM me, and I'll try to help

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#30454 Old 24th Oct 2022 at 12:13 PM
CFE stairs can be really fiddly but it is worth persevering. I used all MikeInside's tutorials to learn the process. I tend to use this process with the "dummy levels" rather than using floor tiles to flatten; I think that the problem may be that a later EP has changed how floor tiles flatten things compared to when that tutorial was written.

I would also recommend using the "zoom" function on browser as those pictures are very small on a modern resolution, it will make them pixelated, but they might be easier to understand.

http://mikeinside.modthesims2.com/b...airs/index.html

Sometimes also you need to fiddle around and experiment with keeping CFE on vs turning it off. At some stages of the process you need it off so that what you're doing won't warp the floor any more.

Always experiment on an empty lot to get the shape that you need before trying it on a real house or you can mess up your work which is frustrating.

But yes, I agree, for step 12, you need to go up 1 floor and be on the roof.

I have never used the grid adjuster, and honestly, I don't believe I have the unlevel wall either - I don't think those things are necessary. (I see that the wall might help to fix wallpaper - I just tend to use plain colours).

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Alchemist
#30455 Old 25th Oct 2022 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Are there any modders that are still working on tweaks for ACR does anyone know? Anyone since about 2017 is likely new to me as I've been in and out of the sims community.

@simsfreq Have you checked out Midgethetree's Romantic Standards? It's not really a tweak to ACR itself--ACR is pretty much set and done, but Midge's Romantic Standards is a set of mods that can compliment it, incorporating the traits system and Simler90's original Romantic Standards.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#30456 Old 25th Oct 2022 at 5:34 AM
Romantic Standards is like the exact opposite of ACR, lmao. I made a tweak to ACR more recently than 2017 to fix it for poly sims and also make jealousy more sensible.
Mad Poster
#30457 Old 25th Oct 2022 at 10:39 AM
The setting I want to change on ACR is the "Ideal family size" - the way ACR incorporates this now is broken and I think it's a simple fix, just getting it to minus one but every time I've tried to fix it myself it breaks the mod. I was hoping either somebody can help me or I can read about other tweaks people have made to learn how to do it. It's frustrating because I'd like to play with the IFS but currently it always adds one so 0 and 1 don't work as expected (larger values, it still doesn't work properly but it's less noticeable).

The jealousy etc is fine as is for me.

Alchemist
#30458 Old 25th Oct 2022 at 7:52 PM
There isn't any way is there to filter OUT particular creators in the Downloads, is there? Some creators are so prolific and I usually have their things already, so sometimes I just want to see what is new or different.
Forum Resident
#30459 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 11:05 AM Last edited by Sokisims : 26th Oct 2022 at 11:16 AM.
Is it essential to "clean" the sims extracted with SimPE in bodyshop? Or is it just a myth?

I'm adding the characters to my neighborhood and now would be a good time to go back if you confirm it would give me trouble. (Although I've never had them)

I like the fact that the clothes are kept for all categories, it makes my job easier, and since I see that the personality points appear randomly... I assume that I am really creating a new sim without importing information from the previous one... Although I could surely be wrong.
Top Secret Researcher
#30460 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 11:38 AM
Your cloned sim in body shop will be a much smaller file than the one directly exported from SimPE so I would guess there's definitely a point in that. Maybe to avoid corruption?

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Forum Resident
#30461 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
Your cloned sim in body shop will be a much smaller file than the one directly exported from SimPE so I would guess there's definitely a point in that. Maybe to avoid corruption?

The truth is that I don't know what to believe, sometimes I feel that once they pass through the cas, they are already a new sim. I would like someone to confirm it for sure.
Mad Poster
#30462 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 3:12 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Oct 2022 at 3:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims
Is it essential to "clean" the sims extracted with SimPE in bodyshop?

Yep - at least it's still the consensus, as far as I'm aware.

Whether CAS can do a proper job of "cloning" the sim is unclear, but if they've kept their clothes I'd say "probably not" and it suggests they've retained some of their old information. How much? No idea.

Just because you don't see any issues at first, doesn't mean they won't show up later. These sims could still have snippets of relationships, memories, etc. from their previous life, which could cause issues in the new neighborhood. Maybe not now, but somewhere down the line.

Quote: Originally posted by Pideli

Bodyshop sims (also SimPE sims after cloning) only contain information about the face features and which CAS items the sim is wearing. That's it. If you package the sim, you get the sim file with face features ("54ea4329_fabc6432.package" type file) and info about CAS items, and Bodyshop will pull any CC (minus some types of meshes) the sim wears.

Sims pulled directly from SimPE contain information about that particular sim, and is the actual sim file itself. Relationships, memories, when that sim last pooped... everything. When you package that sim in Bodyshop (without cloning) You get that sim, not just their likeness. Bodyshop doesn't pull the face file like it would do with a proper clone, and if the sim is wearing any CC, packaging the sim won't pull any of that. You just get the extracted sim file (whatever you named the file, such as "ExtractedSimName.package")

If you want to share sims, or use sims in other neighborhoods, make sure to clone them first (and remove the original SimPE extracted file before starting your game) or there's a chance you could screw up things in your own game, or someone else's if you're sharing.

It's a bit like directly copying a sim file from one neighborhood to another and thinking... "yeah - this is fiiine!" Doesn't necessarily cause any issues you can see immediately, but why take the risk?

II like the fact that the clothes are kept for all categories, it makes my job easier, and since I see that the personality points appear randomly... I assume that I am really creating a new sim without importing information from the previous one... Although I could surely be wrong.

I think personality points and interests are assigned randomly regardless of this.
Forum Resident
#30463 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 5:53 PM
Yeah I guess I'll clone them all at the body shop just to be safe. Thank you!
Mad Poster
#30464 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 3:29 PM
Why do the pre-mades' houses not have spare bedrooms? Well very few of them do! The Summerdreams' house is the only one I can think of that appears to have a double spare room, and even there I suspect Maxis' original idea was that Titania and Oberon would each have their own sumptuous bedroom, and that their spouses would only be permitted to enter when invited. Not that I make any claim to understand the protocols governing the sleeping arrangements of fairy royalty -- I suspect they're even more esoteric than the protocols of human royalty.

Right at the moment Florence Delarosa is sleeping with gay teenager Ravi Bertino, because there's nowhere else in her more than adequate house for him too sleep. Malcolm Landgraab IV says that's also the reason why young Marion Hutchins is spending every night in his bed. In his case I may have my suspicions, but who am I to challenge the word of such a word of such a worthy of Bluewater society as Malcolm?

Actually I suspect that originally Florence and Malcolm only had single beds, and it was me that gave them double ones. Does anyone remember?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#30465 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 4:28 PM
Well, without mods I don't think sims can have others stay over, can they? So there is not much practical use for spare rooms in the game, I never really make guest rooms for this reason.

I think most adults in the game have double beds, though, even if they are single.

Mad Poster
#30466 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 4:42 PM
You can invite people to stay the night and you can even invite vacation locals for three days.
Forum Resident
#30467 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 5:58 PM
I usually try to have almost all my houses have a minimum of two rooms, one with a double bed.

I don't usually play with sims who live alone, and if I do, they usually have a roommate.

Also, most of my sims usually live as a couple or end up having children, and since I'm not a big fan of moving, I prefer the same house that is updated over time.
Scholar
#30468 Old 27th Oct 2022 at 8:17 PM
I have a mod that allows Sims to sleep on community lots, and one unexpected side effect is that guests will sometimes invite themselves to sleep over. (I think this mod causes the behavior--at least, I started noticing it after I put the mod in.) I find it very entertaining, and unless there's an extra bed in the house, the host sometimes has to sleep on the sofa, depending on their relationship or if they are part of a couple and got displaced. I have had guest Sims who have hung around for two or three days. Even the nanny sometimes has slept over!

I dislike a lot of the empty houses in Pleasantview (especially those condos) because there's no way to place a double bed in the bedroom without remodeling. Even if a single Sim moves in, surely they will want a double bed from time to time?
Mad Poster
#30469 Old 28th Oct 2022 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
I have a mod that allows Sims to sleep on community lots, and one unexpected side effect is that guests will sometimes invite themselves to sleep over. (I think this mod causes the behavior--at least, I started noticing it after I put the mod in.)
I was about to post almost word for word the same!! A brilliant example of it just happened. Florence Delarosa asked Don Ng to stay the night. Don vigorously shook his head, which I presume means an emphatic "No!". The very next thing he did was go into Florence's bedroom, take his clothes off, and get into Florence's bed!

A few minutes later Florence, who was very tired, changed into her pyjamas and got into the bed on the other side. Don made no attempt to get out. He just stayed in bed sleeping at her side.

So . . . After saying that he wouldn't stay the night what did he do? He stayed the night!! Let nobody say it's just women who change their mind.

Now Don isn't in any sense Florence's love interest. She hopes he can help her grow her business. He's a teenage boy, a wrong-side-of-the-blanket child of the late Jon Smith Tricou. Florence is already best friends with Don's half brother Ravi Bertino. Indeed it was Ravi who invited Don round for Florence to meet him. As a Downtownie Don would love to have somewhere to live. Florence is definitely influenced by what Malcolm Landgraab has done with Marion Hutchins by taking in and giving her a home, but in exchange wanting her to work unpaid in his nightclub. Florence is hoping to do something similar for Don, but do it in a more ethical way. She can offer him a comfortable home, and teach him what she knows about flower arranging as a business. He'll still have plenty of time to hang out with his friends.

But Florence does have some love interest: Encouraged by Ravi she has started a relationship with Phoebe Rider, who works for Malcolm at the Electronics Superstore. They're not quite in love yet, but, seeing that they're smooching and making out, it can't be far away. When Don refused the invitation to stay the night, she immediately asked Phoebe if she would. Without any hesitation, Phoebe said, "Yes!" But of course at that time she didn't know that Don had decided to stay the night anyway. So now she was in the position having both of them staying the night, when she only had the one double bed in the house. Well, while there's only one bedroom in the house, it is a big one, and Florence realised there was room to add a single bed to it. So she got a single bed -- not the very cheapest -- and placed it in the bedroom in front of the double bed. As soon as the new bed was ready, Phoebe -- who had already stripped to her underwear, and who was sitting watching television with Ravi -- she got up, went through to the bedroom, and got into the new bed.

That leaves Ravi, in his usual state of undress, sitting in the living room, trying to watch television. Also there, making herself at home in Florence's house, is Calista Thompson, the NPC waitress. She's been trying to teach herself piano all day. She's up to Creativity level 3 but it still sounds pretty grim to me. I don't know what she's trying to play. Prog jazz?? It's a musical genre I'll never understand. I ask Ravi, who's a good pianist, what he makes of it. "It's not my cup of tea either," he replies, "but, if she's playing the notes that she's meaning to play, I suppose it's technically competent."
"Do you perhaps think it's time you were getting back to your boyfriend Jack?" I ask. "He'll be missing you."
"Missing me!" sighs Ravi. "He's probably consoling himself having woohoo and making out with half a dozen other boys. What it is to be in love with a boy like Jack! You should try it sometime!"

So, I think I'll just leave them to it. Ravi's quite capable of deciding for himself when to go home. And I hope Calista has the sense to go home when she gets hungry. I recall marka93 once had a townie Sim who played an instrument till she dropped dead from starvation, so I suppose I should check her motive levels. I think things are looking up for Florence. I'm sure she'd rather be in bed with her girlfriend, and that Don was in the spare bed. But at least she's got them both to stay the night, and I'm sure she'll be able to take things forward from there. Ravi's been a big help to her. He's generally a help to anyone who lets him help them. Jack Gill should be a bit more appreciative of having such a good and loyal boyfriend.

My concluding question: Do you all really find single Sims living alone boring? As I see it, they may be the only Sim resident in the house, but that doesn't mean they spend much time on their own.
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#30470 Old 28th Oct 2022 at 4:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You only need to patch M&G.
Copy/paste, apply 4GB patch, move/paste, choose to overwrite. You need admin privilegies to do this, so make sure you're you're on the admin account and/or have those rights.

The "blocked for your protection" should have a manual override.

Still don't understand directions: I have the 4GB patch on my desktop; if I just "install" it there, will it be put where it belongs. I am admin. "blocked for your protection" does not have a manual override. I had to change my user account from a local account or a microsoft account (admin or owner)

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#30471 Old 28th Oct 2022 at 6:31 AM
^ Copy/paste the M&G EXE to your desktop. Run the patch (directions on how to do it from around 3:00 to 4:00 here, if you need it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iwuLZyjMg ). Move the EXE back to the original place. You'll most likely get two messages, one for replacing the file and one for admin approval, click "yes" to both.

Running it via the desktop goes around any issues with the admin/owner if you've installed your game in "C:\Program Files", or if you get any other admin-related issues. There are other ways, but this is the easiest.

Running the patch directly in the "C:\Program Files" folder can seem to work, but doesn't always apply the patch properly.

When you next run your game, check that the log file says "4096" for memory in the two first lines for memory (not texture memory, that's a different thing).
Alchemist
#30472 Old 28th Oct 2022 at 10:54 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 28th Oct 2022 at 11:21 PM.
The truth is that I don't know what to believe, sometimes I feel that once they pass through the cas, they are already a new sim. I would like someone to confirm it for sure.

All I can tell you is what I saw when I tested this at length for myself. I believe this idea originated with a misunderstanding of an old post (which darnit I cannot find right now) where a player asked about the different file sizes of BS/CAS/SimPE sims and speculated whether the SimPE file MIGHT contain information that could cause corruption. However, I found no evidence Sims EXPORTED from SimPE using SIMSURGERY contain any such character data. I do not know what other methods players use to "package" sims from SimPE, but the file Exported in SimSurgery does not contain the actual character file seen in the game, no memories, relations, etc. What extra resource it contains from SimPE does not survive CAS anymore than it does BodyShop in my tests. I have since been using this method to make locals for Vacation hoods without putting them live in game, to fix premades with broken faces without having to take them to a mirror, to repair sims with corrupted character data, etc. I export the Sim's appearance in SimSurgery giving the file a recognizable name and open directly in CAS. Opening and analyzing files, comparing sizes, playing Sims... nothing has indicated any safety issue for me.
Mad Poster
#30473 Old 29th Oct 2022 at 11:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ Copy/paste the M&G EXE to your desktop. Run the patch (directions on how to do it from around 3:00 to 4:00 here, if you need it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iwuLZyjMg ). Move the EXE back to the original place. You'll most likely get two messages, one for replacing the file and one for admin approval, click "yes" to both.

Running it via the desktop goes around any issues with the admin/owner if you've installed your game in "C:\Program Files", or if you get any other admin-related issues. There are other ways, but this is the easiest.

Running the patch directly in the "C:\Program Files" folder can seem to work, but doesn't always apply the patch properly.

When you next run your game, check that the log file says "4096" for memory in the two first lines for memory (not texture memory, that's a different thing).

===
but that video goes against advice that TSbin is NOT where the 4GBpatch goes, that the TSbin is for body shop. So I went to the M&G folder; there are 2 things named "application" - eauninstall & Sims2ep9 uninstall. Talk about stupid questions. I can't even find WHERE to put the 4gb patch. And worse, why would the lack of that patch cause the game to crash while loading (or when trying to launch a hood)? If this wasn't so stupid, I would take this crashing issue to the Help forum.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#30474 Old 29th Oct 2022 at 12:03 PM
@grammapat Probably would be best if you go and start a help thread, I'm confused about what game setup you have, so if you make a thread we can keep it all together in one place.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30475 Old 29th Oct 2022 at 1:16 PM
@grammapat Body Shop is the CSBin and the game exe is the TSBin although they will work from either. One time I had crashing so I just moved it to the other folder, so the exe isn't too fussy.
Maybe you could take a picture of your folder set up for us and as Simsample suggested the help board is probably best.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Page 1219 of 1339