Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#27576 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 4:41 AM
Debug mode doesn't cause errors, it just makes you aware of them. Turning it off doesn't stop errors from occurring, it just makes it so you have no idea when they do.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27577 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 4:54 AM Last edited by wickedjr89 : 12th Jul 2021 at 3:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Debug mode doesn't cause errors, it just makes you aware of them. Turning it off doesn't stop errors from occurring, it just makes it so you have no idea when they do.

I should have worded it differently. I am aware of that. I just assume that error that's apparently the game trying to make rod humble but is prevented because of the hack is supposed to happen because of the hack. I don't know how hacks work, I just know I never see rod humble so I assumed the hack is working. I didn't realize before today it could be causing errors I don't see until I accidently leave debug mode on (in this case because I was making adoptable toddlers and pets and using some debug skintones in CAS).

Edit: I didn't realize before today that particular hack could be causing errors I don't see until I accidently leave debug mode on.

My Simblr
He/They
Theorist
#27578 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 11:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lizard49
"Buy off with $50!"

This interaction appears on furious sims that visit your lot and harass other sims or vandalize the property. For example, ex spouses.

I'd say it's a mod clash rather than a hood corruption.
Mad Poster
#27579 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 12:42 PM
Is this neighbourhood safe to use if the Hoodchecker is run on it like it says, or would you need to do more to make it safe?

https://modthesims.info/d/282434/or...d-30th-may.html
Mad Poster
#27580 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 5:57 PM
I've got a message that keeps popping up when a pixel returns from a community lot:

"It looks like someone has purchased a video game. Now to have a player to play it on." (approximate phrasing), which is similar to the one "It appears that someone in the household has bought a new outfit, now to get a dresser to put it in!"

Any ideas (besides mod conflict which I'm already assuming.) about what is causing this?

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#27581 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
I should have worded it differently. I am aware of that. I just assume that error that's apparently the game trying to make rod humble but is prevented because of the hack is supposed to happen because of the hack. I don't know how hacks work, I just know I never see rod humble so I assumed the hack is working. I didn't realize before today it could be causing errors I don't see until I accidently leave debug mode on (in this case because I was making adoptable toddlers and pets and using some debug skintones in CAS).

Edit: I didn't realize before today that particular hack could be causing errors I don't see until I accidently leave debug mode on.

You should be leaving debug mode on general if you are using hacks, for exactly this reason. Probably there is something wrong with that hack that you should inform the creator about, if this happens regularly.
Top Secret Researcher
#27582 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
Is it possible to reach the top of a career without learning skills or making friends? Like purely through chance cards? Might be an interesting challenge. Or are there some levels where those type of chance cards don't exist and will never come up?
I've been wanting to play that as a challenge since forever, but so many simming projects, so little time...

Like PhantomKnight said, it's completely possible, although it may take a while
There's the instant promotion networking benefit (your boss is my cousin and I'll ask him to promote you since you're so cool)
There are the hobby chance cards, several of them can get you promoted

It would help to use a list of the possible outcomes for every chance card, and maybe avoid the Uni careers where almost half of the positions don't have chance cards at all.
Then again, no chance card, less risk of being demoted, I guess!
Top Secret Researcher
#27583 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 6:37 PM
Also I've noticed it's almost never worth it to "engage" in the hobby that the hobby chance cards talk about. Don't wear the costume at work for example. You risk demotion to gain... enthusiasm?!

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Top Secret Researcher
#27584 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 7:08 PM
You should be leaving debug mode on general if you are using hacks, for exactly this reason. Probably there is something wrong with that hack that you should inform the creator about, if this happens regularly.

Really? But I thought leaving debug mode on was a very bad idea?

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#27585 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 7:27 PM
No, debug mode tells you when errors occur, so it's pretty much always a good idea to leave it on.
Mad Poster
#27586 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 7:29 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Jul 2021 at 8:29 PM.
Really? But I thought leaving debug mode on was a very bad idea?

Usually it's not. The cheat itself does nothing. It's what you can do with it that's potentially harmful to your game - and you have to click spesific things to cause problems. If you're careful and don't click anything you don't know what is, it's fine to leave it on (debug options are available with shift-click, so accidental clicking shouldn't be too easy to do).

If your mod folder has a lot of conflicts or there's problems in your neighborhoods, then you'll get errors, though. If you often get jump bugs where sims seem to reset, that's a common "insert error message here" if you have debug on. In that case it can potentially be helpful with creating error logs and figuring out what's causing the problems, or diagnosing that there even is a problem there to begin with.

Lots of errors means something probably is going on in your game that you should take a closer look at.

(TS2 seems fine with debug on. I've had it perma-enabled in my userstartup for ages. I rarely if ever get errors, usually if there's new CC or something buggy going on with new items. I'm not sure with TS3, though. On my old laptop, if I had the cheat on for even a few minutes, my game would randomly go all wonky, even if I just fixed motives and simple stuff like that. TS4 seemed fine with it again, but there I turn it off again after doing whatever I was going to do).
Mad Poster
#27587 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 7:32 PM
The problem with leaving debug mode on is, if you have a very messy neighborhood like, oh, say, Drama Acres, you get error messages constantly for errors that wouldn't normally even make your game stutter and it's annoying.

If your neighborhood is reasonably clean, or if you have the sorts of problems that error messages can help you figure out, then having debug mode on can be very useful.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#27588 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 7:33 PM
If your game is constantly getting errors, that's something you should know about and actually try to fix, not something you should just sweep under the rug by turning off debug mode.
Top Secret Researcher
#27589 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 7:43 PM
Thanks everyone. I wasn't trying to sweep anything under the rug, somewhere down the line I think I heard it was one of those very very bad things. That somehow keeping that cheat on was a huge no-no.

Now I feel dumb, and worried. I'll try to remember to have it on now.

My Simblr
He/They
Top Secret Researcher
#27590 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 8:15 PM
Sorry for double posting. I went back into the test hood to put another family in the apartments and it was mostly fine (played a day) except one error, but a different one and it says TwoJeffs visitor controller. Is it safe to check the log files while the game is running or do I turn it off to do that?

Edit: And do errors just happen sometimes no matter what?

Edit again: Never mind. Still a rod humble issue. Went out of game and checked log file. I might end up taking that hack out from the looks of it.
Screenshots

My Simblr
He/They
Alchemist
#27591 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 8:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I wasn't trying to sweep anything under the rug, somewhere down the line I think I heard it was one of those very very bad things. That somehow keeping that cheat on was a huge no-no.

Now I feel dumb, and worried. I'll try to remember to have it on now.

I'm sure you did. Players noticed that their game would get error pop ups when the cheat was on and that they went away when the cheat was off, and they mistakenly assumed the errors were caused by the cheat and went around warning people that it was dangerous. You shouldn't feel dumb, though. You just didn't know.
Mad Poster
#27592 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 8:41 PM
If your game is constantly getting errors, that's something you should know about and actually try to fix, not something you should just sweep under the rug by turning off debug mode.

Oh, there was no fixing Drama Acres, dear! And I knew that. But turning it off actually allowed me to play it for longer than I would have otherwise. With them on I couldn't get in or out of apartments - they'd error and hang up.

I probably should have testingcheats on to figure out why I'm getting so many random crashes in my current game; but it takes a certain amount of research and effort to make those error reports useful, and it actually uses fewer spoons to sigh and restart the game than it does to get screenshots and look up all the codes and stuff, so I've been putting it off.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#27593 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 8:49 PM
Well if I hadn't forgotten to turn off the cheat I didn't need to turn off i wouldn't have known to take that hack out lol, but that solved the issue from the looks of it. Whenever I added that hack a long time ago I either didn't have the visitor controller or didn't know it had an option to ban rod though he's so quick he leaves the computer anyway, but I can just delete it.

Edit: Can I delete or take out the object error text files? They don't seem useful once I figure out the problem.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#27594 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 9:15 PM
Yeah, you don't need the error logs if you've found the problem.
Theorist
#27595 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I've got a message that keeps popping up when a pixel returns from a community lot:

"It looks like someone has purchased a video game. Now to have a player to play it on." (approximate phrasing), which is similar to the one "It appears that someone in the household has bought a new outfit, now to get a dresser to put it in!"

Any ideas (besides mod conflict which I'm already assuming.) about what is causing this?
This household has console/computer games available other than SSX 3 and Sims 3, but has no console/computer. At least in a vanilla game.
Forum Resident
#27596 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 11:35 PM
best way to raise jaw height?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27597 Old 12th Jul 2021 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH

That is a Maxis bug that has been with the game forever. Ignore it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#27598 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 11:35 AM
Can a neighbourhood be cloned without copying the sims over? Say you wanted an empty version of your custom hood?

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27599 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 12:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
Can a neighbourhood be cloned without copying the sims over? Say you wanted an empty version of your custom hood?

Yes, I've done this many times using this method:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=468987
Top Secret Researcher
#27600 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 4:07 PM
With my megahood, having the main hood with Strangetown and subhoods Pleasantview, Riverblossom Hills, Widespot, Bluewater village...if I add a subhood that's an empty terrain map, that won't add more townies will it?

My Simblr
He/They
Page 1104 of 1339