Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#176 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 4:11 PM
I have to believe that site was almost single-handedly responsible for years' worth of shellshocked players showing up on our doorstep with problems we can help with, except they begin with tons of apologies and stories about how they searched all over the place for weeks, honestly they really tried, before daring to ask whatever the questions were. It's as if we were going to point and laugh, beat them up, or something rather than calmly answering their questions or directing them to the correct resources.

I know that the longer-term residents of other sites can also be a bit short with new members who don't really know where to look for answers to questions that have been asked dozens to hundreds of times, but sometimes it seems like the"Search MOAR!" mantra and the way it was so often delivered over there may have done some serious damage to players' mental well being over time.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#177 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 4:22 PM
Well I am not saying no one was effectively bullied, but why do people exonerate the owner of the site whose actual responsibility it was to keep people decent to each other? Believe me, he was in charge, the site was as he wanted it. And most of what new people logged in to ask could just as easily have been asked here where the atmosphere was more conventional.

PS on the handful of occasions I was tasked with being mean to someone I used to private message them to let them know it was kind of roleplay.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#178 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 4:51 PM
I personally still can't stand that site. People acting like bullies to put it mildly and yes the site owners and moderators are to blame. No it didn't come off as role playing to me as an observer. I refuse to interact with people who act that way on the internet and in person. Can't say I'm sorry it's basically defunct now.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
#179 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 6:22 PM
I agree even though I was part of it. An ethos like that can spread, and for all I know some of the participants were actually enjoying it when someone got upset. I mean I never knew the people well on a personal level, cos even in the chatrooms we were still mostly in role with each other.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Site Helper
#180 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 8:05 PM
This thread has made me realize that I've had 2 computers die since the last time I visited that site. I don't even remember how to temporarily disable the web security program that wanted to block it as a dangerous site. (And it wouldn't surprise or bother me if I were to discover I had been purged for inactivity.) I made an account solely so that I could PM Pescado to let him know how much I appreciated his work on developing and maintaining Awesome Mod at a time when he had been taking a lot of flak over something. But I always found the atmosphere over there to be fairly toxic, so I didn't go there often. I'm not surprised that it's mostly dead now, while sites like MTS that encourage politeness are still going strong.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
#181 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 8:35 PM
It was "of its time" as they say :D

Mad Poster
#182 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 2:19 AM Last edited by daisylee : 21st Oct 2019 at 2:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I agree even though I was part of it. An ethos like that can spread, and for all I know some of the participants were actually enjoying it when someone got upset. I mean I never knew the people well on a personal level, cos even in the chatrooms we were still mostly in role with each other.

Will not comment about adults acting in roles like that and some other things, but you were always civil and helpful in your posts from what I saw. And there were a few other posters who genuinely tried to help people and participate in a "normal" manner. But the conduct of some was just plain horrible and there is no way IMO to rationalize or justify it.

I can understand that he wanted it unfriendly enough not to attract the 12s as he would say, but this site seems not to draw them either, which I like. But I think that here it is that the level of discussion is usually at a level that is either above or not of interest to them as not fluffy unicorns and some stuff that appeals to them. This is a pretty sophisticated crowd overall which is one reason I am here and like it here .
#183 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 2:43 PM
GC, you have to understand that almost no one on the senate (the Mean Crowd) knew anything at all about modding or creating. Not sure many of them even played the game very much. Some of them followed Pescado over from some other game he used to be involved in. There were very few people on that site who were probably in any position to help you anyway that's why you had to wait for the bunfight to be over before you got any help

Mad Poster
#184 Old 22nd Oct 2019 at 1:14 AM
I would say thank you also, and IMO especially if you do not even play the game, or much, if you are gonna post simply to be an arse, step back from the keyboard. And arrogance and rudeness is even more uncalled for when it comes from people who do not know what they are talking about.
Mad Poster
#185 Old 22nd Oct 2019 at 2:50 AM
FYI, a good thing to grab regardless of your opinions of MATY is the TS3 Exchange Greasemonkey Bypass script- useful if there's ever any problems with your serial code:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...p?topic=15330.0

That being said, not much to grab on the exchange, but maybe something might catch your eye or whatnot.

The store fixes and collection files are also useful as well.
Page 8 of 8