Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 1:13 AM
Default TSR is at it once again!
I don't know whether I should post this here or not, but anyways...

http://tsr.mustbedestroyed.org/?p=858

That's a list of information being distributed by TSR, of those considered "pirates." Problem is that they aren't distributing usernames, but REAL NAMES (some partial, some full) and EMAIL ADDRESSES.

If you know anyone who is or might be on the list, make sure they hear about this.

Personally, singling out people and calling them "pirates" is bad, but providing personal information about them? TSR have overstepped the line too many times by now. Why hasn't EA done anything about this? Oh, right--they're "buddies". Of course EA's gonna let this slide, they're gaining money, aren't they? Why the fuck should they care? I guess that's the way of the world--as long as money's involved, there isn't anything no one would do for it.

I hope someone gets to sue these guys. They won't get sympathy from me. As for all of us who may or may not be on the list, spread the word. Simming comms everywhere should know this and take action against it.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 1:19 AM
Woah...hey are any of these people like "important creators" or just a lot of average joes ?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 1:24 AM
There are some creators there (well-known, I might add). Sadly, many of those on the list I recognize. If you have friends on that list, you should let them know as well. I have some sort of feeling that this could go a lot more out of hand than it is as of now.
Test Subject
#4 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 1:27 AM
Saw the list, recognized someone' name, what's going on?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 1:29 AM
Quote:
http://tsr.mustbedestroyed.org/?p=858

That's a list of information being distributed by TSR, of those considered "pirates." Problem is that they aren't distributing usernames, but REAL NAMES (some partial, some full) and EMAIL ADDRESSES.

Basically, they're labelling a lot as "pirates" and distributing personal info about them (real name, email, what have you).
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 1:33 AM
TSR must be run by complete idiots. Not only are they giving people spyware/malware/viruses, and invading the privacy of their users, but now they're accusing people of being pirates, and posting their full names and emails? This is beyond pathetic, and it makes me want to do whatever is in my power to make life harder for the people who run that site.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 1:40 AM
To anyone on the list, did you happen to sign this petition before?

http://www.petitiononline.com/EANOTOK1/petition.html

It currently has 629 signatures. Which means TSR could've hacked this petition and got the names and emails from there.

They're still a bunch of scumsucking criminals, though.
Alchemist
#8 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 1:42 AM
i think they're all people that signed a petition that is linked in the comments of that post
Instructor
#9 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 3:27 AM
Yeah, that seems to be the case, since some of the names had comments attached to them in the file that was acquired.

Though I'm not on the list, it was a good reminder to go change my registered e-mail address & other info.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 5:33 AM
I guess it goes to show that TSR doesn't know the reason of privacy.

Three equals four.
Banned
#11 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 5:55 AM
I don't know if I buy this. I mean consider the source. The website that claims TSR did this is called tsrmustbedestroyed. Seems like the people at tsrmustbedestroyed started a rumour. And it's not the first time someone started a rumour against TSR that in the end, embarrassed the person who started it because it was based on silly childish let's all team up against TSR attitude.

My point:

Anybody can make a huge list of TSR members and say TSR leaked their info, but really where's the proof? And um how in the world did they obtain this so called list?
Forum Resident
#12 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 6:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joninmobile
I don't know if I buy this. I mean consider the source. The website that claims TSR did this is called tsrmustbedestroyed. Seems like the people at tsrmustbedestroyed started a rumour. And it's not the first time someone started a rumour against TSR that in the end, embarrassed the person who started it because it was based on silly childish let's all team up against TSR attitude.

My point:

Anybody can make a huge list of TSR members and say TSR leaked their info, but really where's the proof? And um how in the world did they obtain this so called list?

It's pretty obvious the list came from that petition. I'm #476 on that list and when I signed the petition, I'm positive that was the number I was. And considering that the link to the petition was originally posted at MATY, that would explain TSR thinking that the people who signed were all pirates since in their eyes, anyone who would visit MATY or PMBD is automatically a pirate. And as far as you saying anyone could make a list of TSR members and claim TSR leaked the info, there is a problem with that theory. My TSR username isn't the same as the first part of my email address, so anyone making a random list of TSR members would have my TSR username on there, not my partial email address. I'm not one to publicly post my email, (when I signed the petition, it said it would only be shown to the author which would be BlueSoup) so this has to be either someone who hacked the petition, or the original author leaked it.
Banned
#13 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 6:46 AM
yes, but that still doesn't explain how, or why or to whom TSR leaked this information to, and how is TSR involved, and who had the idea that TSR did this? Still seems very sketchy and questionable on the part of the people against TSR to me. I have nothing against TSR, I even used to be a supporter of theirs until my one year subscription ran out, and I plan to continue to suppourt them next year when I get my raise. Nothing anyone can say can turn me against them, because it's really all just pointless accusastions. Don't get me wrong I love free content, I also support mts as you can see, and various other small sites that offer free content in the form of one time donations when I can. But I think it all comes down to this, people were upset that they had to pay for quality content, so they came against TSR and it's just starting to get old fast.
Test Subject
#14 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 7:09 AM
The person who had this list was apparently an SA at TSR. He/she is CarpeDiem also known as Atwa. He/she claimed the list came from Thomas at TSR. I checked yesterday and CarpeDiem was an SA. Today that artist is not there. Apparently has been sacked.
My interest in this is because I'm on that list, I signed that petition and I've never file shared in my life. I'm not very happy that my information has been compromised. I (stupid me) thought the info was protected.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 7:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lorik7
The person who had this list was apparently an SA at TSR. He/she is CarpeDiem also known as Atwa. He/she claimed the list came from Thomas at TSR. I checked yesterday and CarpeDiem was an SA. Today that artist is not there. Apparently has been sacked.

Yeah, apparently it was said that the list came from Atwa. Either way, both Atwa and Thomas are both twats for calling all those 614 "pirates", and they don't even have substantiable evidence for those claims. It's just plain name-calling on their part, along with identity theft (or something along the lines of that).
Test Subject
#16 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 7:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1306
Yeah, apparently it was said that the list came from Atwa. Either way, both Atwa and Thomas are both twats for calling all those 614 "pirates", and they don't even have substantiable evidence for those claims. It's just plain name-calling on their part, along with identity theft (or something along the lines of that).

I think the really interesting part is that by the sacking of CarpeDiem/Atwa proves that CarpeDiem really is Atwa. The pathetic hacker of the petition.

joninmobile, you can support TSR forever, I don't mind. However, they are involved in this. I'm not a creator and haven't been in the sims community for a long time, but I tend to get a bit irritated when my real name and email address is being used for nefarious purposes.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 7:56 AM
I think the really interesting part is that by the sacking of CarpeDiem/Atwa proves that CarpeDiem really is Atwa. The pathetic hacker of the petition.

I guess when Atwa decided to shift the blame to Thomas, that's where he/she got sacked. No honor among thieves, I guess.

If you support TSR, that's perfectly fine. I just hope if you support the site, you don't get involve or condone the activities it calls "business".
Field Researcher
#18 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 8:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joninmobile
But I think it all comes down to this, people were upset that they had to pay for quality content, so they came against TSR and it's just starting to get old fast.

Nobody has to pay for quality content. We have MTS, Parsimonious, Fairy Witch, Numenor, etc., etc. You don't have to go to TSR for quality content.

What turned me off TSR in the first place was they way they treated their creators. Once you've uploaded something there, they consider it a permanent upload (they probably consider it "theirs"). If you decide to leave the community for any reason, if you decide you'd rather not have your content on TSR for whatever reason--tough. They will not remove your content from their site. And that's very inconsiderate; that's shitting on the people who really make TSR's business possible, who take the time to create and share their creations with us.

And if half of the things I've heard about TSR are even partially true, I want nothing to do with the site. My life is just easier if I'm in no way connected to a bunch of ditzes on the internet who all seem to have the social skills of cheese.
Instructor
#19 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 11:37 AM
The person who had this list was apparently an SA at TSR. checked yesterday and CarpeDiem was an SA. Today that artist is not there. Apparently has been sacked.

Uh, she's still at TSR: (http://www.thesimsresource.com/artists/CarpeDiem/)

How can we really be sure this list came from TSR? Could just be someone trying to stir up trouble. Can anyone give us some definite proof? I refuse to get all upset about something unless I know for certain that it's true.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 11:44 AM
I'm on that list, as well. What infuriates me is the sheer gall these people have thinking that they can blackmail others by using information that is "supposed" to be private into a little extortion/blackmail scheme to stop the perceived piracy of the stuff from TSR. The petition was hacked by "persons unknown" a while ago. While the petition itself is now ended, the information is still available for some to digest, it seems.
If you want the truth, all the files from PMBD are paid for in full by subscribers who share them. Whether you call that piracy or not depends on your definition of pirates.
TSR does not like that, but there's not much they can do about it without making it look like they're whining.
The petition was to EA complaining about their cozy relationship with TSR and their lack of enforcement of their own EULA when it came to TSR.
It was a valid complaint that EA did nothing to stop paysites from charging for creations when the EULA stated that creations were supposed to be free for all, and no paysites were supposed to profit from creations.
That one cannot sign a petition without being called a pirate is just stupid. Isn't freedom of speech still a right?
It's a nasty, rotten way to treat people in this community who have done more than just sign petitions. Some of the more notable creators around are also on that list-but they are possibly not aware of their signature, and information being shared with everyone in the world.
Loss/invasion of privacy outranks piracy any day.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 12:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wthrwthoutyu
Once you've uploaded something there, they consider it a permanent upload (they probably consider it "theirs"). If you decide to leave the community for any reason, if you decide you'd rather not have your content on TSR for whatever reason--tough. They will not remove your content from their site. And that's very inconsiderate; that's shitting on the people who really make TSR's business possible, who take the time to create and share their creations with us.

Looking at their TOU, it doesn't look like they claim ownership of content you upload, but they do say you are not entitled to the right to modify or delete it once it has been uploaded.

And girlfromverona, yeah she still is there, but until yesterday she was a SA, now shes been demoted.
Instructor
#22 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 12:10 PM
Ah, I see. Still, we don't know for certain that Thomas is behind this. It could just be CD (Atwa?) being an idiot for who knows what reason. I'm not sure we'll know the truth until the person who actually hacked the petition is discovered (if that's even possible).
Forum Resident
#23 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 12:15 PM
If it was Atwa, most likely she did it to try and get Thomas to like her again. And it doesn't seem to have been TSR that sent out this list, Atwa is the one that is said to be the one who sent it out. So as of right now, if the speculation is going in the right direction, then TSR really had nothing to do with this for once.

And if you haven't seen, TSR posted in their news section about this:

Quote:
False accusations against TSR

Some of you may have seen yet more false accusations made against TSR on another so called community site claiming that our member database containing personal names and addresses has been leaked. We would like to assure all member of TSR that this list of usernames has not come from TSR. Many of the usernames published do not even exist in our database, and never have. For the usernames that do exist, in some cases we have more info than they claim, and in others, less.

This list is clearly not a list of TSR users. This latest folly only demonstrates further that the information posted on that site about TSR is false, dreamt up in an underhanded attempt to try and discredit our community. Because we are absolutely confident that we can prove this to be farce we have instructed a law firm to press for full legal recompense for libel.

If you have any concerns we would urge you to read our Privacy Policy which we believe demonstrates that we take our members' privacy very seriously.

Update: Some comments posted by users on that site who are listed, state that they never gave TSR that info, or that the username is actually used on another Sims site and not on TSR.
#24 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 12:36 PM
If TSR or any forum for that matter ever put any personal info including my full name out there my first call would be to my lawyer. Honestly that site is a complete joke, I'm proud to say I have a TON of their pay items yet have never spent a dime on any of them, and will gladly share them with whoever, whenever I please. =)
Alchemist
#25 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 12:43 PM
This only proves that TSR cannot make a proper blacklist.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 2