Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 7:52 PM
Default Windows 10 Ameliorated Edition / Windows 10 LTSC types for The Sims 2
Stumbled across something kinda interesting today...

** This isn't a help thread by the way, just detailing a new technical thing that might help with TS2 (namely, the sh!tty windows 10 OS that MS is forcing everyone to use now) Mods, if this fits better in help than feel free to move

Quote:
Windows 10 AME aims at delivering a stable, non-intrusive yet fully functional build of Windows 10 to anyone, who requires the Windows operating system natively. Spyware systems, which are abundant in Windows 10 by default, have not been disabled using group policy, registry entries or various other workarounds – they have been entirely removed and deleted from the system, on an executable-level. This includes Windows Update, and any related services intended to re-patch the system via what is essentially a universal backdoor. Core applications, such as the included Edge web-browser, Windows Media Player, Cortana, as well as any appx applications, have also been successfully eliminated. The total size of removed files is about 2 GB.

Great effort has been invested in maintaining the subsequent system’s stability, bug-free operation and user experience, as many of these removed services conflict with core Windows 10 features.

I think almost everyone on this forum has been sick and tired of how buggy slow and unoptimized Windows 10 is. Personally for me I've experienced my choices with Linux before but I switched to Windows 10 LTSC earlier this year because everyone and their mother was using Photoshop for CC creation and the incompatibility especially with actions was getting pretty annoying, not gonna lie. For those of you who don't know, LTSC in summary is basically an official Windows 10 without the store apps, bloat, or the incessive spying and telemetry (warning, I'm pretty sure LTSC still does usually have telemetry on but it's not as bad as what they spy on you if you run Windows 10 Home.) Problem is because Microsoft knows everyone wants that, it's extremely hard to get.)

I'm interested in trying Ameliorated for myself, switching from Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro (The ONE copy of Windows I got legally through DreamSpark / Azure for Students, but also doesn't have a dark mode, and all my attempts at theming Windows 8.1 to be night-friendly, while succesful, all cause EXTREME system breaking bugs if you update or uninstall the software....which..yikes. I DO NOT RECOMMEND. It's a pain in the ass.

Now, big warning, for the grandmas on this forum probably making some tasty cookies in the oven as we speak, please don't try any of these, this is mostly just a thread for me and other to details their experiences with these "Windows 10 but not trash" types, whether official or unofficial. Best stick to your stable copy of Windows 7 / 10. (Some of y'all are probably even running XP!)

Anyways back to The Sims, I've ran TS2 and TS3 fine on different versions of LTSB / LTSC for months now, so since I'm interested in installing Ameliorated for myself, I'm interested in seeing what all the teche nerds have to say on it. It'll probably be fine, but since I find stuff like this fascinating, just wanted to detail how the whole thing's gonna go