Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 1:01 PM
Default accessory floating in space
good morning. for the first time i followed a tutorial and tried to create an accessory via milkshape. to do this I changed some of the maxis default glasses exactly as the person in the tutorial did. my intent was to create glass eyes for sims. the problem is that when I go to create a sim, I realized that something did not go well because if in some sim the eye remains above the head, in others it is positioned on the face, but does not remain motionless, when I move the sim with the mouse left and right the eye does not move together with the sim but moves following a different trajectory. I put some pictures to show what I'm talking about. can you tell me what I'm wrong? did I not properly mesh the bones? it seems to me so. Thank you.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 3:50 PM
You could have a candidate for Moody's magical eye from Harry Potter. XD Sorry, no idea how to fix it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 3:53 PM
ahahahahaha
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#4 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 5:56 PM
@fabryzio, I may be wrong but by your pics, it looks to me like a bone assignment problem, your eye is not assigned to the head bone, then when you move the character's head, it stays in its place, needs to go back to MS3D and check/fix it there, this topic goes better in this thread and you can have more possibilities of getting help there, don't worry for it and don't open any other topic for this issue there, any @admin or @moderator can move this one for you.

From now on I'm just a lurker, the sad truth about the Orwellian status of the sims community is not "off-topic" neither is "politics".
Check part of my current (non sims) creations at my J.R.'s Angels page
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 7:08 PM
it is absolutely possible. at this point, however, I don't think I am able to do it. in practice could you tell me what I have to do to assign the mesh to the head on milkshape? I ask you because I'm sure I've selected the mesh and pressed assign, but at this point maybe I'm missing something.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 7:14 PM
Mark all the vertices of the accessory, go to the "joints" tab in Milkshape, find the "head" joint in the first of the four pull-down lists and click on it, drag the weight bar (the colored bar) under that pull-down list all the way to 100 (or write 100). Click "assign".

Make sure the group has these comments (Groups tab, "Comment" button, mark the group you want to check)
ModelName: frame
Opacity: -1
HasTangentArray:
NumSkinWgts: 3

When you click "draw vertices with bone colors" anything assigned 100% to the head should show up a pinkish color. Don't do this until you've made sure the comments are alright (not having any comments for an assigned mesh can potentially cause Milkshape to crash if you click the "draw vertices" button).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 7:25 PM
hey simmer 22. thank you for the advice. i am trying to do it. I can't quite understand where I should put the values you posted. I insert the 100 next to the colored bar on the joints? as you can see from the screen the mesh is actually pink

I didn't understand where I can view these:

ModelName: frame
Opacity: -1
HasTangentArray:
NumSkinWgts: 3
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 7:58 PM
Joints tab, furthest to the right. Picture shows you're in the Groups tab. Look directly under the X button that quits Milkshape

Comment button is to the right in the Groups tab (the one showing in the picture), last button in the first column of buttons.

EDIT: Pictures are probably easier...
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#9 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 7:59 PM
Fabrizio click the button that say Comment, then you can add the info, after that select all vertices and look in the tab "joints" for the head bone and assign them to it.

From now on I'm just a lurker, the sad truth about the Orwellian status of the sims community is not "off-topic" neither is "politics".
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 9:36 PM
thanks for the replies, i'm pretty sure i'll succeed this time. as soon as I have some time, I will redo the whole procedure and let you know
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 9:44 PM
A tip is to save the Milkshape file(s) you're working on. Makes it a whole lot easier to go back and edit things, and you don't have to start over to fix one little mistake or adjustment.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 10:07 AM Last edited by fabryzio : 22nd Nov 2020 at 10:31 AM.
here I am guys. now another problem has arisen. I just can't see the end of the joints window and can't figure out why. the window is cut off. I tried to scroll down, to minimize but nothing.

I managed to view the last part by removing the application bar of window 10. unfortunately I can see it cut but the important thing is that I can select the keys
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=fabryzio]here I am guys. now another problem has arisen. I just can't see the end of the joints window and can't figure out why. the window is cut off. I tried to scroll down, to minimize but nothing.

I managed to view the last part by removing the application bar of window 10. unfortunately I can see it cut but the important thing is that I can select the keys[/QUO

I solved!!! thanks everyone for the help. I had assigned it to the hair instead of the head !!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 12:23 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Nov 2020 at 1:45 PM.
Make sure the group name is renamed to "frame" (looks to be named "regroup02" at the moments, according to the second picture)

Techinically the comments should fix the name (the ModelName line in the comments should always be the same as the group name of the group it belongs to, and when you export as Unimesh the file uses the info from the comments) but you never know...
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 12:26 PM
Those floating eyeballs would give me nightmares!! I think I'll stick to Maxis eyes!!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 1:21 PM
Thanks again! I wanted to take the opportunity to ask you something else. in case you don't know the answer I will open another discussion in the future. do you know by chance how it is possible to make 3d lashes animated? I have seen on tumblr that some people have managed to do this by mapping the mesh to a specific point of the eye but I have no idea how this is done! you know that?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 1:51 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Nov 2020 at 2:09 PM.
3D lashes are more complicated than regular accessories because they have to move with the face morphs, as they don't have a joint you can connect them to (other than the head joint).

Bloom over at Insim made a few morphed accessories and a tutorial.
http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...c,107642.0.html - this is for a lip accessory, I think some of the info probably is different for eyelashes, but if you find some eyelashes made this way you can extract the files and have a look at them in SimPE and Milkshape to see if the info is different.

It's probably best to get comfortable with regular accessories first, though. I don't think a lot of people know how to make face-morphed accessories (I've never done it, I just know it's possible), so if you get into trouble you might get very stuck.
Space Pony
#18 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 2:56 PM
It is possible to make face-morphed accessories. I created one almost 3 years ago – heterochromia eyes. Memento tried to create 3D eyelashes but it's really tricky.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 3:00 PM
@fabryzio so sad I couldn't be of more help this time as I could not post any MS3D screenshot as my Milkshape is refusing to work, it crash to desktop after the 1st minute with any model loaded, I suppose it's a Python plugin or a Boolean operations add-on I added to it more or less recently, but I've been lazy to remove them since I don't use MS3D too often these days, I'm switched to other 3D modeling/morphing tools (Hexagon, Blacksmith3D, Blender and Shade3D) more suitable for the stuff I'm doing right now and left Milkshape only for sim related stuff, but I'm absolutely discouraged of sims/sims content creation then I stopped using it.

Fortunately @simmer22 is here and saved you with your issue.

Quote: Originally posted by Nopke
It is possible to make face-morphed accessories. I created one almost 3 years ago – heterochromia eyes. Memento tried to create 3D eyelashes but it's really tricky.

Bobby the hacker did some awesome lashes a huge amount of years ago, I still have these. .

Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 3:08 PM Last edited by fabryzio : 22nd Nov 2020 at 6:27 PM.
hello nopke! I am aware of your heterocromia eyes creation, I opened a post not too long ago where I wanted to try to make some eyes in hd without the game resizing the starting image and I managed to do it through your creation !!! also I was aware of the post on tumbler. did you finally manage to make your lashes come alive? I am attaching below an image of what I could create with your eyes!

jotaerre who is bobby the hacker? I don't know if I understand, did this guy make them?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#21 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 3:37 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Nov 2020 at 3:49 PM.
fabryzio, if you're having issues with images resizing to smaller sizes than they should be in Bodyshop (should be 512 for face/head textures and toddler body, 1024 for CU-EU bodies, anything else means you have the bug), that's a Bodyshop issue you can fix:
https://simswiki.info/wiki.php?titl...y_Shop_Projects

To make larger textures, all you really have to do is to size them up and replace the textures with DXT3 or 5 texturing in SimPE (Nvidia texture tools plugin) after you've made the files (the ones in SavedSims). You don't need a new mesh unless you want to change how the mesh looks. To make things easier for yourself you can recolor an existing eyelash accessory but use larger textures. Accessories usually use a different shader than the skin does, so the texture size matters less.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 7:59 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 12th Dec 2020 at 9:51 AM. Reason: removed off topic politics
Quote: Originally posted by fabryzio
jotaerre who is bobby the hacker? I don't know if I understand, did this guy make them?

Bobby the hacker also known as BobbyTH, was a content creator who did really awesome and special content for sims (clothing, accessories, bodyshapes, etc.)

She got retired about 10 years ago but left us a wonderful legacy of truly custom content like This headdress or the body shape of the girl in the right of this image, the girl in red minidress.

I don't know who owns the lashes in your pic, but these are great too.

Space Pony
#23 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 9:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jotaerre
Bobby the hacker did some awesome lashes a huge amount of years ago, I still have these. .

@jotaerre Could you send a link to his eyelashes? I'm simply curious if they're animated and if they adjust to eye shapes correctly. This is the point of this discussion I guess. Heterochromia accessories existed before I created my own but they never behaved like eyes.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 4:47 PM Last edited by jotaerre : 12th Dec 2020 at 5:03 PM. Reason: typos
Quote: Originally posted by Nopke
@jotaerre Could you send a link to his eyelashes? I'm simply curious if they're animated and if they adjust to eye shapes correctly. This is the point of this discussion I guess. Heterochromia accessories existed before I created my own but they never behaved like eyes.

@Nopke most of BobbyTH's stuff is lost but there is a possibility it can be here: https://simfileshare.net/folder/75011/, if not I can search through my downloads folder and send them to you, if I well remember, I have some other 3d lashes from LaPink and/or Kamikitten if you want to check some of them, I'd include these in the package, but it can take some time for me to check for it as sometimes filenames are not helpful at all.

Space Pony
#25 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 5:24 PM
@jotaerre I was trying to find eyelashes in that folder before but I failed. I'll be grateful if you send me the eyelashes you use. You don't have to do it immediately.
Page 1 of 2