Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#251 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 11:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DrowningFishy
what would probably encourage people to move on to 3 is to lower price of sims 2 and their packs. Why? Who really wants to play the games in the cheap bins? Honestly when you go into a store to buy a game do you look at the cheaper games, or do you end up more lookign at the games that cost a little more.

LOLwat.

I usually always fish for cheap games, and to be honest, if I had never heard of The Sims 2 before, and I'd found it in a cheap bin, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat, as opposed to paying a ridiculous price for a shitty game.

I wouldn't ever pay full price for new-ish games anyway, since you can almost always get them far cheaper online.
Advertisement
Scholar
#252 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 1:31 PM
Quote:
what would probably encourage people to move on to 3 is to lower price of sims 2 and their packs. Why? Who really wants to play the games in the cheap bins? Honestly when you go into a store to buy a game do you look at the cheaper games, or do you end up more lookign at the games that cost a little more.

I finally bought sims 2 in 2009. My intention had been to buy sims 3, but sims 3 was $40 or $60 or sim 'ish and Dlb/Dlx was $20. I was quite pleased with my cheaper purchase and cheaper EP's. Given the problems with S3 I prolly wouldn't be playing any sims right now if I'd have bought that. Wait a second- *jumps in time machine*.
Scholar
#253 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 3:12 PM
I didn't buy Sims 2 until 2010, and I'd be tickled pink if I could find the rest of the expansions for cheap.

I wish they would bring back the website. I had just started to really delve into the stories on the exchange and the BBS posts when it was all taken down.
Scholar
#254 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 3:26 PM

Hey...
I buy Sims 2 and 3 at lower costs, all of 'em...

Hey there! :)
Field Researcher
#255 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 4:56 PM
I ONLY buy out of the cheap bins
Site Helper
#256 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 5:27 PM
There's only one reason that I own any Sims 3 expansions: I can get them very cheaply. If I actually had to pay full price, I would only own the base game.
Field Researcher
#257 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 7:49 PM
I would love to find all of the Sims 2 games marked down. I would buy them all so I could have extra copies if something bad happened to my originals.

My simblr
Lab Assistant
#258 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 8:07 PM

That's the exact reason I STOPPED playing Sims games. The cost! Every time I turned around there was a new pack or expansion. And while that's great for content, it starts to put a huge dent in the wallet, especially if you play MMOs.

I decided I couldn't keep up with the Joneses. Knowing from past trends that EA would bundle Sims games the older they got, I figured in order to get the biggest bang for my buck, I'd wait. Now, I've just put an order in at Amazon to get 2 expansions and 5 stuff packs all for about $50. I think I came out on top by hunting the "bargain bins".

I'd never be able to feed my gaming habits by always buying the "latest and greatest" the minute they roll off the truck. Besides, all too often the newest games have bugs and you end up having to wait to play it anyway. Unless there's an awesome pre-order incentive or it's simply a game I've been waiting in high anticipation for (looking at you Skyrim!), I'll wait and see what deals come up.
Alchemist
#259 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simgrl1934
I would love to find all of the Sims 2 games marked down. I would buy them all so I could have extra copies if something bad happened to my originals.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...-All-Categories

Forum Resident
#260 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 8:57 PM
Should have been more pasific,

*cough* Specific, I believe you'll find.

Quote: Originally posted by van Dorn
I think that they know Sims 2 players are out there. Hell, there are still sims 1 players out there. But many, many people have moved on to Sims 3. As a result, it is unfair to expect the company to pay for a server/ maintainence/ whatever for a huge site that is making them less and less money.

The sites weren't ever really money-makers, except inasmuch as they helped cultivate some customer loyalty and excitement and provided another marketing vehicle. With fewer and fewer people visiting the sites, though, especially after the TS1 page went read-only, how much money could they really require to run? No forums means no moderation needed. No updates or uploads means less maintenance required. I don't buy "it costs too much" as a reason to completely close out the sites. Not in this day and age when storage is so cheap various companies are bending over backwards to give people craptons of it for free.

If I, as a fan, could open a site with a free service and offer all the patches for download with another free service, then surely heap-big EA could find a way to cost-effectively maintain a presence for TS1 and TS2, even if it was just "here's all the patches and downloads in one big file, and here's a link to the game we wish you were playing." They don't want to, for obvious reasons, but even in this economy, I don't believe that that would break the bank. (If it were me, I'd reduce attention brought to the obsolete games by instead just introducing a big digital library of official content for EA in general. Some amount of work and some amount of money, but not that much, relatively speaking, and it would also service the current money-makers to compensate for the files less downloaded.)

Also, if nothing else, seeing as how TS1 and TS2 made them money hand over fist-- "best selling game of all time," anyone?-- I don't think it's unfair to expect them to shill out a pittance for those games in particular.
Site Helper
#261 Old 14th Sep 2011 at 5:04 PM
What I meant by Sims 2 was being a lost cause is that they have no real incentive not to anger Sims 2 players anymore, because either we have already moved to Sims 3, are going to move to Sims 3, play SIms 3 as well, or are completely unlikely to move to Sims 4, either. They may have an incentive to be "nicer" to Sims 3 fans, though.

And @ DrowningFishy, I, for one, always look in the bargain bins first. The quality of a game does not depend on the price tag, and paying 1/3 the price of the original release means I can get more with the money I saved. I very rarely look at the "new" or "upcoming" releases unless it is something I am specifically looking for. And considering that the bargain bins do sell out, I don't think I'm -that- weird.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
#262 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simgrl1934

You can just buy the downloadable versions online. Places like www.direct2drive.com sometimes have them on sale for $10-15 each.

I know it's not as nice as having the disc versions, but you can download the files, copy them to a disc, and the end result is basically the same.
Scholar
#263 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Spitfire Mouse
That's the exact reason I STOPPED playing Sims games. The cost! Every time I turned around there was a new pack or expansion. And while that's great for content, it starts to put a huge dent in the wallet, especially if you play MMOs.

I decided I couldn't keep up with the Joneses. Knowing from past trends that EA would bundle Sims games the older they got, I figured in order to get the biggest bang for my buck, I'd wait. Now, I've just put an order in at Amazon to get 2 expansions and 5 stuff packs all for about $50. I think I came out on top by hunting the "bargain bins".

I'd never be able to feed my gaming habits by always buying the "latest and greatest" the minute they roll off the truck. Besides, all too often the newest games have bugs and you end up having to wait to play it anyway. Unless there's an awesome pre-order incentive or it's simply a game I've been waiting in high anticipation for (looking at you Skyrim!), I'll wait and see what deals come up.

I find it funny that Sims 3 has taken a price cut so fast while Sims 2 seems to purdy (yeah that's what you get for specific ) much come down alot in costs quickly (well in some eps). The only thing we can say for ceritan unless they budge on the price of 2 Sims 3 will be the most expensive habit.

No garentees and no brains for EA

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Lab Assistant
#264 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 8:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
There's only one reason that I own any Sims 3 expansions: I can get them very cheaply. If I actually had to pay full price, I would only own the base game.

How do you only pay half-price?
Scholar
#265 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alexbaybee

Maybe she buys discounted price?

Hey there! :)
Site Helper
#266 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alexbaybee
I have access to a company store which gives a large discount to its employees. I get Sims 3 for much less than half price and that's the only reason that I buy them. I figure that I might eventually try playing it again.

I'm in a fairly unique position and I know that most people don't have access to deep discount prices on the latest EPs. My point is that price can actually affect whether you are willing to buy something. If I had to pay full price for the Sims 3, I'd wait until I could find them in the bargain bin.
Lab Assistant
#267 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 5:55 AM
I have access to a company store which gives a large discount to its employees. I get Sims 3 for much less than half price and that's the only reason that I buy them. I figure that I might eventually try playing it again.

I'm in a fairly unique position and I know that most people don't have access to deep discount prices on the latest EPs. My point is that price can actually affect whether you are willing to buy something. If I had to pay full price for the Sims 3, I'd wait until I could find them in the bargain bin.

Ohh ok. I buy mine for bargains, too
On a site similar to eBay etc, there are usually cheap prices there and they are new too!
I agree though, if I had to pay full-price, I probably wouldn't :p
Test Subject
#268 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by A.G.Doren
I finally bought sims 2 in 2009. My intention had been to buy sims 3, but sims 3 was $40 or $60 or sim 'ish and Dlb/Dlx was $20. I was quite pleased with my cheaper purchase and cheaper EP's. Given the problems with S3 I prolly wouldn't be playing any sims right now if I'd have bought that. Wait a second- *jumps in time machine*.

Ahahaha the funny thing about this is when you go to gamestop or any little cheap videogame place. What do you see in the bins?

EA Games either its Sims Bust Out or Madden 2010 lol You'll see EA games ALWAYS in the bins.

Strange thing is I play an old need for speed account and that site too went under maintenance. I starting to think its not just Sims but other EA games as well.

I had LOADS of my sims uploaded on the Sims 2 website for my friends to download and whoever saw them and wanted to use em. The sad thing is....I wish i could of saved them here too. I do alot of downloading and i'm inspired by all the amazing artist that design there sims as well as all the necessaries. Hell from what i heard they dislike the artist because of the mods and the creation they did to make sims look cooler. I hope this isn't a way of teaching us a lesson. Sure the PS3, Xbox, and the new Upgraded computers make the sims look like...well dare i say it "more real" but a true gamer doesn't care for the graphics there in it for the fun.
Mad Poster
#269 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 1:35 PM
Actually, EA has been shutting down servers for many on-line games recently, so the Sims series is not the only one being affected. They claim it's only for games that nobody plays anymore, but I've found that even newer games (bought in the last 3 years) are being cut off.

Reference: EA's Service update page

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
Scholar
#270 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 2:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Actually, EA has been shutting down servers for many on-line games recently, so the Sims series is not the only one being affected. They claim it's only for games that nobody plays anymore, but I've found that even newer games (bought in the last 3 years) are being cut off.

Reference: EA's Service update page

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

Again as I mentioned before it comes down to server costs, and the fact EA isn't that bright. If EA wasn't sued all the time they'd probably have a lot more money to keep these sites running (or at least the popular ones) IMO.

Almost at times you begin to wonder if the games they got in take overs are poor red-headed step-children they don't want. Wonder what would happen if EA would sink finially.

Field Researcher
#271 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 2:29 PM
Hey, Fran H., Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware they have also shut down SimsSocial on FB.
From there I went to the EA Support and searched patches for Sims2, just to see what would pop up. I don't need them (I have them all saved somewhere) but was curious the link to the lastest Sims2 patch renders a 404 error. However, the patches for Sims Double Deluxe (Sims1) is still revelant. Weird.
If they have closed the Sims2 site, why don't they just say so in the list of servers that have been shut down.
But wait they don't even claim they have shut down the Sims1 site, either. Perhaps that link is only for online MMO games' servers that has been shut down since it doesn't list any game other than MMOs.
Site Helper
#272 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 5:33 PM
If EA wasn't sued all the time they'd probably have a lot more money to keep these sites running (or at least the popular ones) IMO.
The legal system in the U.S. pretty well guarantees that large companies will be sued on a regular basis.
Scholar
#273 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 5:51 PM
actually Starryeyedsim they shut down the original Sims Social on Facebook because they entirely rewrote the game, It is still a click and point game obviously but they changed the gameplay and graphics to more closely resemble the actual Sims games (traits personality, lots , build and buy mode etc).

As per the patches they have been uploaded both to SimsVIP, and SimsPrograms for download, Homecrafter Plus is available on a few sites and you can find some of the EAXIS created Exchange lots, Sims and Objects at the Sims2Graveyard
Scholar
#274 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 10:20 PM
The legal system in the U.S. pretty well guarantees that large companies will be sued on a regular basis.

Yeah but some of them could easy be avoided if they read about fair user rights, their own agreements (though not garenteed) and the meaning of monopoly. Sure here in america i'd probably be easy for me to sue you claiming your avatar as offesive then go after this site for letting you host it. But in EAs case I haven't herd of any of those types of lawsuits.

((BTW I have nothing agianst your avatar it's cute))

Page 11 of 11