Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 2:19 PM
Default Sim Genetics :D your experiences
so I've gotten into legacies lately, and one of the most important things to legacies are obviously procreating! I've stopped most of my legacies due to crappy genetic mixes, so I'm curious what you have experienced in your games. Any tips, secrets, interesting facts? (: Discuss here.

I know this isn't the pictures forum but I'm sure no one would mind if you just posted links to images of your sims and their offspring.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 11:10 PM
As a general rule, you don't want your founder's face to stray too far from the Maxis templates -- make them look unique, yes, but don't overdo it on the sliders, as that never mixes well with townies!

Also, while making them, switch back and forth between genders to make sure that the facial features look nice on both. It's very disappointing to find out when your male founder has daughters, they've all inherited thin lips that looked fine on him but terrible on them.
Instructor
#3 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 11:27 PM
In addition to switching genders, I usually also see how they look at all life stages.
Test Subject
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 6:02 AM
Before making a sim, make their parents and use the pacifier to create them in order to give them recessive genes, I always kick myself later when I forget to do that.

"Look, I don't need this, I inhaled my favorite whistle this morning."
--Simpsons
Inventor
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 6:18 AM
That's a good tip, HunterGreen! I never really thought of doing that, myself.
#6 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 9:55 AM
Yeah, I do it ALWAYS!! Don't want any 'ET's' in mah game
What I do is when I create a family in BodyShop, I base the faces on the father or mama, you know age them down. Then when I make them in CAS, I roll the pacifier and see what the other kids turn out like...
#7 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 3:52 PM
it always seems like the kids come out with the ugliest features of their parents. i find myself picking townies to marry more based on their looks than on anything else. although i've got to say, i love kevin bear's face from the university. it's an earnest pudgy little face with an earnest nose. that nose always gets transferred too.
#8 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RosalindP
As a general rule, you don't want your founder's face to stray too far from the Maxis templates -- make them look unique, yes, but don't overdo it on the sliders, as that never mixes well with townies!

Also, while making them, switch back and forth between genders to make sure that the facial features look nice on both. It's very disappointing to find out when your male founder has daughters, they've all inherited thin lips that looked fine on him but terrible on them.

That makes sense. I'll have to remember that.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 12:29 AM
Or if you want to make a weird overslidered sim, make that sim. Then make a sim of the opposite sex with a maxis face template. touch nothing. Use Make a baby on them. If its pretty, make sure that a townie with that face template fathers the children. If it is ugly, try another template.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 5:13 AM
If you download your founder - remove custom skin.
Test Subject
#11 Old 19th Apr 2008 at 9:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HunterGreen
Before making a sim, make their parents and use the pacifier to create them in order to give them recessive genes, I always kick myself later when I forget to do that.

I don't get why you need to do that? Wouldn't you want the offspring to look more like the founder than a townie?

confused
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 19th Apr 2008 at 10:05 PM
Tigerlily, it gives you diversity in your legacy's gene pool. For example if you created your legacy founder from a parent with brown hair and blue eyes and one with red hair and brown eyes, they'll have one eye color an one hair color, but they'll carry the genes for the other one as well
Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Apr 2008 at 11:48 AM
I find it almost impossible to have any in game born redheads or blondes after about 2 generations. One parent with brown hair or brown eyes and that's it for ever more.
Test Subject
#14 Old 20th Apr 2008 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by endersgirl07
Tigerlily, it gives you diversity in your legacy's gene pool. For example if you created your legacy founder from a parent with brown hair and blue eyes and one with red hair and brown eyes, they'll have one eye color an one hair color, but they'll carry the genes for the other one as well

Aah that makes sense. Thank you
Test Subject
#15 Old 13th Jun 2008 at 7:24 AM
I had some experience with poverty challenge. I created a Sim using Oepu's face template, slightly modified. She had good looking kids with townies Joe Carr and Darren Dreamer. Her daughter had three pretty girls and two of them were made with ugly Komei Tellerman. I wasn't expecting THIS, since looks doesn't matter that much in this kind of challenge.They didn't look that cute when they were toddlers and kids, but grew up to be beautiful. The makeover made one of them unfairly nice looking for ingame born sim.

I guess custom face templates will mix better. Don't ask me why. They're the best for pretty townies and custom hoods. But so much prettyness can be boring sometimes, I guess I have more fun with ocasional surprises (wow, a pretty daughter of KOMEI!).

I'm doing legacy, Apocalypse twist. I wasn't pleased with my founder, so I'll do it over again.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 6:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RosalindP
I made that mistake. D: When I had my second generation as toddlers, they looked okay from the front (well, okay, they had big ears and cheekbones that could cut steel) but when I looked at the side, I found they had no noses! I was really disappointed because the mother was Kaylynn Langerak, and she has had adorable kids in previous incarnations of my game. One of them got a little bit of a nose as a young adult, so I made him my heir, but he was still kind of funny-looking. The other three had no noses at all and looked very odd. Especially the alien daughter. But she redeemed herself by being FREAKING AWESOME.

The third generation was a lot better. The nose still wasn't there for my toddlers, but by teenagehood they had normal noses, and their eyes were really gorgeous. The cheekbones and ears had been toned down too. I did it by marrying my second-gen heir to a college townie with a really lovely face (it might be the 01 Heart template). She's the one with a brown ponytail, medium-light skin and a dark blue (or purple?) athletic-looking short-sleeved dress. There are a couple of other Sims with that template floating around. Vanessa Chen from BV's Far East is one.

I've got high hopes for the fourth generation, since I nabbed another Sim with the same gorgeous template from college. But I actually have to have my family branch off to complete the Ivy League/knowledge "master point" (since the kid has to get all the college scholarships, including the orphan scholarship, and I can't kill my adult heir and then send the kid to college because that would break the chain of always having an heir there). So I've picked a wife for my heir's brother, another college girl, and she looks basically identical to Dina Caliente. Does Dina have cute kids?

At any rate, I'm happy to say that looks are not my top priority in my legacy. I play for points. And I got my third master point today, and basically ensured that I'll get a fourth when my current heir dies! :DDD I was thrilled.
Scholar
#17 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 7:22 PM
I have a few questions.

I made a lone Sim in CAS and they had two alien children a few days after I moved them into Strangetown. However, both of the children she had (not twins, two seperate abductions) had her blue eyes. I thought it was a little strange but not abnormal.

Anyway, I matchmaked this lone Sim (Estelle) to a male Sim (Windigo), also made in CAS. While Estelle has blue eyes, Windigo has brown, so I assumed that their kids would have brown eyes. Unfortunatly they don't, their kids eyes are blue! Why aren't they brown? I've recently downloaded default replacement eyes for my Sims.

Also, take a look at this picture....

In the picture is Estelle, Windigo and their new twin babies. The baby in the crib has a different skintone to their twin - fair enough - but the baby that Estelle is handing to Windigo has a completely different skintone to both parents! Estelle hasn't been having an affair, both children are definatly Windigo's... what's going on?! I have HystericalParoxysm's idoltary of flesh default skintone replacements.

Why do Estelle and Windigo's children have blue eyes when Windigo has brown eyes?

And why does one of the twin babies have a skincolour completely different to both the parents?!

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 7:36 PM
HP made the skins so that if a dark parent has a child with a light parent, the resulting baby would be medium. Or that's how I remember it, anyway.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 7:42 PM
Figgi:

1) Are you sure your new default eyes aren't actually custom eyes? That would explain the eye problem.

2) I used to use HP's idolatry of flesh skintones, but not as defaults. I actually had my regular Maxis defaults, and HP's skintones would mix with the Maxis skins. She explains the process on the download page better than I could, but basically each skin is assigned a number and when the parents' genetics combine, the offspring has a new skin number and the skintone closest to the child's number is the one you see, making it 9 possible skins instead of 4. One of HP's intermediate skins is actually darker than the one that is supposed to be one step darker. I was constantly getting babies with skin darker than either parent, and it drove me so nuts I took the skins out and found different ones.

Sounds like maybe you don't actually have the skin and eyes installed as default replacements.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 8:31 PM
It is really hard after getting black or brown hair into the family to get blonde or red back in. My founder was a redhead and her husband was black hair and all their children have black hair.
I'm hoping to marry the gen 2 heir to a redhead to see if i can get the recessive to come back out.

Also, I thought that blue and brown eyes are dominant, and green, grey, and light blue are recessive. Is that true?

Founder:

Few of the children (she had 6)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/...gen1house80.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/...gen1house85.jpg
Field Researcher
#21 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 8:51 PM
Brown and Dark Blue are the dominant eye colors. Light Blue, Grey and Green are recessive. So if 2 parents have Brown and Dark Blue eyes, the children have a 50/50 chance of receiving either one.
Scholar
#22 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwennero
Figgi:

1) Are you sure your new default eyes aren't actually custom eyes? That would explain the eye problem.

2) I used to use HP's idolatry of flesh skintones, but not as defaults. I actually had my regular Maxis defaults, and HP's skintones would mix with the Maxis skins. She explains the process on the download page better than I could, but basically each skin is assigned a number and when the parents' genetics combine, the offspring has a new skin number and the skintone closest to the child's number is the one you see, making it 9 possible skins instead of 4. One of HP's intermediate skins is actually darker than the one that is supposed to be one step darker. I was constantly getting babies with skin darker than either parent, and it drove me so nuts I took the skins out and found different ones.

Sounds like maybe you don't actually have the skin and eyes installed as default replacements.

They are definatly defaults, because when I made the parent Sims I did not have the eye default replacements I have now, nor did I have HP's skins. When I made Estelle I had different default replacement eyes, and when I changed them and the skin to the ones I have now her skin and eyes definatly changed, so its all defaults.

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Field Researcher
#23 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 9:41 PM
Figgi, are the mother's eyes light blue or dark blue?
Scholar
#24 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 12:19 AM
of topic sumpsychochic where did you get her eyes?

on topic i tend to just make a sim thats rather maxisy but use make up to help make them more unique...or atleast i make sure if ui use a downloaded sim to remove any custom skins and make up so i can see what they really look like , since even just basic make up can really change a sim, ive downloaded many sims that look great until they no longer have cc on..which can make for some eeerm interesting babies, but ive also used some super funky sims as my founder but then again thats what i was going for i actually need to refind one sims that had eyes that were almost like anteneas

check out my uploads here updated May 15, 2008
Field Researcher
#25 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 5:51 AM
Has anyone had any success with Nina and Dina Caliente? I found a college dormie who looks just like them, and I'm wondering whether or not to have one of my Sims marry her and have a child with her.
Page 1 of 4