Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 12:25 AM Last edited by lipglosschaos : 25th Sep 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Default Why didn't you change to Sims 3?
After playing TS3 for about a year, and having accumulated all but one expansion pack, I am thoroughly disappointed. The "seamless" gameplay was junky, all the CC trashed my computer, and loading was a nightmare. I loved the in-depth CAS screen, but it would take me about an hour to make a character once I had accumulated some decent CC. I loved Create-a-Style, but it took too long and was too frustrating to build houses.

I was also thoroughly disappointed with all the expansion packs, except maybe Pets. I had never played The Sims before TS3, but seeing all the cheap TS2 expansion packs made me feel like TS3 should have included nearly all the features that had been introduced in TS2 (coughSEASONScough).

I recently went to my local Half-Priced Bookstore and purchased a couple of $5 Sims 2 expansion packs (University and Open for Business, if you care) and dug up my copy of TS2. I am so happy.

It loads in less time than it takes me to have a shower, the not-so-seamless gameplay doesn't bother me, and it's not nearly as complicated as TS3. Even though I appreciate attention to detail and sigh at the smeared faces of my TS2 Sims, I have never loved compromise more. The best part? I can run it while running the Internet or Word or any other program.

Why do you prefer TS2 over TS3? Post below!

NOTE: If you don't like this thread, don't comment or read it. It doesn't hurt you for this thread to be here, so stop complaining about how it's already been done.

Zebra Maxidress in 5 Colors

I made a tutorial! Check it out here.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 12:44 AM
I don't think my computer can handle it.
The Sims aren't as pretty.
I have heard quite a few disappointed reviews and people switching back to TS2.
I love TS2.
I've become quite attached to my characters.
Banned
#3 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 12:49 AM
Heard too many bad things about it and the sims in sims 3 do look ugly to me.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:01 AM
I switched over to Sims 3 because my integrated graphics chip couldn't handle Sims 2, but I could play Sims 3 on low settings with just the World Adventures and Ambitions EPs.

I got an actual graphics card installed in April and I can play both Sims 2 and Sims 3 now. I play Sims 2 the majority of the time because I don't like Story Progression (Twallan's SP mod makes it less annoying, but its still annoyed me at times), I don't like the way Sims 3 Sims look most of the time, The open world can be a pain in the butt to navigate at times I (1 Sim Hour of traveling time for my Ghost Hunter Sim to travel to get to houses to do his job, 3 or more Sim hours spent biking in China, at least the scooters in France are a little faster) and the lack of mods to make toddlers less annoying.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:10 AM
I think my computer would go into blue screen mode if I even tried playing TS3, I have enough troubles with the graphics in TS2 blacking out or going weird (but that's my fault for having a lame computer so I just generally ignore that issue). Otherwise I love the style of TS2 and ability to play all my families equally without that silly timeline thingy TS3 has. (I have played TS3 a few times thanks to a friend, but never really got into it, mostly because it annoyed me.)

Of course TS3 has better facial modifiers, but overall I find the rest of the game quite annoying, and annoying me leads to angry me and angry me usually chucks things out the window in a sudden fit of rage. TS2 has never caused that to happen, and so I opt to keep happy me happy, so as to prevent issues with broken computers. :D

While TS2 can't stand on the same ground as TS3 when it comes to graphics, personally I enjoy the blockish/cartoonish style. While at the same time being able to use CC to create a more realistic sim, sometimes it's cuter to use the cartoonish style.

I think the best thing is the ability to run TS2 in a window and other programs with it, allowing more creativity in stories and ideas. Oh and to keep up with the forums and other miscellanious tasks needing to be done.

Overall I just never converted to TS3.

Oh Noes Not Another Blog! - where you can see my awful custom content and horrible attempts at challenges, storytelling and picture taking.
Not much up there right now, this is only the beginning! :D
Inventor
#6 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:16 AM
Do we really need another thread about this? Yes? Okay...

I play TS3 as an amusing time waster. It's a cute game and all, and if TS2 or TS1 hadn't been developed, I probably would play it a lot more. But the fact is, TS2 & TS1 are better games. At least to me, anyway. They run better, don't have as many glitches, they can look good on full settings on just about any computer (except neighbourhood view, heheh).

Humour in TS3 feels second hand, it's not the same as the previous games. TS2 has so much content and mods, you can customize it completely to your liking. I tried to make a TS3 medieval world, but gave up fairly quickly. Having a TS2 medieval neighbourhood, when done properly, feels really authentic. Besides, sims look better in TS2, why? Because they look... Different. People in the real world don't look like marshmallow heads.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:24 AM
I tried TS3 when it came out. It bored me rigid within a week. I have real problems with boredom - I can't bear it. I tried a couple more times. It's just awful for a story-teller like me. I have long since uninstalled. Mind you, it wasn't nearly as bad as Medieval. I thought that was an insult to my intelligence and all the custom EA has had from me.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:33 AM
I agree, hasn't this topic been done to death? Also why do people assume you must play either Sims 2 or 3, can't a person play both?

Like Saturnfly I think TS3 is an amusing time waster. If it had been a step up like Sims 2 was to Sims 1 then I would have switched. But it's not, it's a different game to me along with Sim stories or Sims Medieval. DH recently bought me WA and Show Time on a good special and I've been having fun playing those EP's. Although I've had to turn my graphics way down to prevent it freezing every minute on me and my sims faces, squishy as they were without custom content are now melting off. Maybe when I can get my computer upgraded some more and it plays better (I hope) I may play it more.

If I want 'normal' play, challenging play, building or story telling play, I play Sims 2. Sharp graphics, a smooth camera, a ton of cc and mods and no glitches much except what I myself caused by installing some mod or bad cc.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Meet Me In My Next Life
#9 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:38 AM Last edited by Simonut : 25th Jun 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lipglosschaos
After playing TS3 for about a year, and having accumulated all but one expansion pack, I am thoroughly disappointed. The "seamless" gameplay was junky, all the CC trashed my computer, and loading was a nightmare. I loved the in-depth CAS screen, but it would take me about an hour to make a character once I had accumulated some decent CC. I loved Create-a-Style, but it took too long and was too frustrating to build houses.

I was also thoroughly disappointed with all the expansion packs, except maybe Pets. I had never played The Sims before TS3, but seeing all the cheap TS2 expansion packs made me feel like TS3 should have included nearly all the features that had been introduced in TS2 (coughSEASONScough).

I recently went to my local Half-Priced Bookstore and purchased a couple of $5 Sims 2 expansion packs (University and Open for Business, if you care) and dug up my copy of TS2. I am so happy.

It loads in less time than it takes me to have a shower, the not-so-seamless gameplay doesn't bother me, and it's not nearly as complicated as TS3. Even though I appreciate attention to detail and sigh at the smeared faces of my TS2 Sims, I have never loved compromise more. The best part? I can run it while running the Internet or Word or any other program.

Why do you prefer TS2 over TS3? Post below!

@>>>lipglosschaos >> I am sorry to say this "But enough already" this TS2 over TS3 have been fried, boiled, and baked over and over too many times. At this point this subject have become very "Stale and have turn rotten". There are plenty of posts on this baked over subject. I myself have had it with this same subject over and over.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Forum Resident
#10 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:45 AM
This horse isn't dead yet?

Tired of your workers' faces changing after you set a uniform? See this thread for more details and a potential fix.
-----
Check out my journal.
I now have a Simblr(in the making) please follow!
Simblr
Mad Poster
#11 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:46 AM
Some people keep tying to give it CPR.
Inventor
#12 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:49 AM
Reminds me of the cow in Me, Myself & Irene. xD
Quick! Someone hold it down whilst I yank on its nostrils.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 1:58 AM
I have played only the base game of TS3 and I found it absolutely boring. There was no spark to it, whereas I remember being absolutely obsessed with TS2 when I got mine xD I had only the base game for years and I played every day for more than 12 hours <.<

Why I dislike TS3:
1. Ugly puddingface-y Sims
2. The Sims don't have any character. They are all the same
3. TS2 has so many little things such as easter eggs, hidden stories, mysteries, gestures, etc. TS3 feels like mass produced crap intended to print money for EA
4. BUILD MODE IS A NIGHTMARE. OH MY GOD!
5. The houses are so dark, it's ridiculous. If I want a decently lit room I need to place 10 lamps and it's still not enough during day time.
6. The furniture looks ugly and bulky
7. Their story progression is horrible
8. Skilling and getting promoted is ridiculously hard
9. The traits were kind of a let-down
Mad Poster
#14 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Like Saturnfly I think TS3 is an amusing time waster. If it had been a step up like Sims 2 was to Sims 1 then I would have switched. But it's not, it's a different game to me along with Sim stories or Sims Medieval.

The Sims (Sims 1) is a very different game from Sims 2, just as Sims 2 is different from Sims 3. Sims 2 was in no way a "step up" from The Sims as it changed the focus of the game as well as how it's played. If anything, the focus of Sims 3 is a little bit more similar to The Sims than it is to Sims 2.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 2:31 AM
I tried to like Sims 3, I really did. But it felt like there was always something missing.

My favorite part of it would be creating sims, definitely. Unlike most people, I love the look of the TS3 puddings, they are so ridiculously cute that I want to hug them! I would spend hours creating a pretty sim, loved that I could recolor anything on the fly, that I could make really skinny and really fat sims, I loved pretty much everything in CAS, but... when I were done and it was time to actually play them, it was...boring. Incredibly boring. It would be fun for about five minutes, then I would be bored immediately. Even though they have personality traits, which might be seen as an improvement, their personality feels incredibly shallow, even more than the ones in TS2, which were based in points. Their relationships are superficial, and, I don't know, everything feels empty and just plain boring. Not to mention the rabbit holes, which makes the open world feel so empty since there are few things you can actually DO. Everything is a rabbit hole, while in TS2 I could have my sims go to restaurants and dine together, follow them while they buy groceries or clothes(and,in the case of a few sims, lots of amusing things could happen during these trips!). In TS3, I can have them visit empty nightclubs and parks and... probably something else, but you get the point. It doesn't feel fun for me when the open world means that I go "Oooh, look, I can follow my sim riding a bike to the bookstore! There he goes! And he arrived...and now I wait outside until he is done. Neat!"

In my opinion, it doesn't really feel like a Sims game like 1 or 2 were, probably because Maxis is no longer in charge. It is very different, to the point that if it was called something besides "Sims", I wouldn't bat an eyelid or say it was a rip-off or something like that, since the games are nothing alike, at least in my opinion. I thought maybe it was because I didn't have all the EPs while I had all of them in TS2, so I borrowed some of them from a friend(I only bought the base game and Pets, and used, because I was unsure if I would like it.). Nope, still not as fun as 2.

I currently have both in my computer in case I ever want to play 3 for a change or something, but I never play TS3. Even with CC, mods and such, it still feels shallow and lacks the charm that made me love TS2 so much. So, I think I will stick with TS2. Until the Supernatural expansion comes out, then I will give it another try, since supernaturals are my fav. part of TS2. Probably going to be disappointed once more, though, but I never learn.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 2:52 AM
Here's why I haven't tried Sims 3 yet:

--The base game alone, around here, is $50. Where I got Double Deluxe (Sims 2 base game, Nightlife and Celebration Stuff) and other combo packs for $20 apiece.

--PUDDING FACES!

--I've watched gameplay videos on YouTube. Let's just say I'm satisfied with Sims 2, and as I told my husband, I *really* don't need another distraction. I mean, I'm a housewife, I have things to do....

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 3:10 AM
I got a new computer recently thinking I wanted to try Sims 3 but then I just on a whim installed Sims 2 on it and I discovered a whole new game. My old computer was not able to support all the graphic *perks* of Sims 2, so I never saw weather, reflections, shadows, etc. Unfortunately when I was originally playing Sims 2 I stopped at Bon Voyage (the last EP I got when it was still new) ... and I missed FreeTime and Apartment Life. I did get FreeTime for a good price but still hunting out a deal for Apartment Life (I prefer having the physical CD rather than the download from EAxis).

Also as a read more and more about it, Sims 3 doesnt sound like something I would enjoy, plus I dont want to exhaust my new computer with working it extra hard to support the memory and graphics needed for it.

I am happy with my Sims 2
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 3:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
The Sims (Sims 1) is a very different game from Sims 2, just as Sims 2 is different from Sims 3. Sims 2 was in no way a "step up" from The Sims as it changed the focus of the game as well as how it's played. If anything, the focus of Sims 3 is a little bit more similar to The Sims than it is to Sims 2.

I guess if that's how you feel, then that's how you feel, but for me Sims 2 was an immediate step up. I loaded it up played and was hooked. I uninstalled Sims 1 and never played it again. I'm quite sure if a poll was set up you would find most people who played Sims 1 did exactly the same thing-uninstalled it and didn't look back except for nostalgia.

With Sims 3 there are also some people who uninstalled sims 2 and never looked back, but I think you will also find a lot of players reinstalled Sims 2 and dropped Sims 3 altogether and some like me have both installed and play both. I'm not counting younger new players who never played Sims 1 or 2 in this.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#19 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 3:23 AM
1. The ugliness. Not just of the Sims, but the furniture, the houses... bleh. Everything looks so... wide. The Sims themselves, I could never, ever get used to looking at. I didn't like the look of the textures of the clothes. And don't even get me started on the screaming vapours that I got from the cold deathly stares of the toddlers. Every time I think that I am even remotely tempted to play TS3 again, I go to the TS3 boards and check out the pics there, and that sends me running straight back to my beloved TS2.

2. Too much choice = not always a good thing. Yes, I could recolour my Sim's couch in eleventy billion different patterns and shades, but for someone like me (who has to check out EVERY SINGLE PATTERN just to see what it'd look like) it was a total nightmare, it'd take me forever just to pick a couch.

3. Gameplay is boring. When left to their own devices, the Sims would just stand and stare blankly. It was creepy. And even when they had conversations, it was just having to go over and over the same motions each time, then being rewarded with a pop-up telling me how the other Sim was feeling.

4. I just couldn't get attached to the Sims. With my TS2 Simmies, I felt like I really 'knew' them. Even if it wasn't actually in the game, I had made up enough of a backstory in my head to explain their behaviours. With TS3, I found that I could not care less. There was no emotional attachment at all.

5. Lack of decent genetics - didn't think this would bother me, but was surprised to find it did. I love watching a a 'family nose' get passed down from generation to generation in TS2. You could always spot a Goth family member in Pleasantview! But in TS3, the first time I had a pink-haired mother pop out a pink-haired baby, I was all WHAT THE HELL.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 3:27 AM Last edited by HarVee : 20th Apr 2013 at 2:42 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bwinney43
This horse isn't dead yet?

Surprisingly the Horse is still living, even without a heart.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
#21 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 3:45 AM
Every time I download for Sims 2 cc I see in the comments this over and over, "Could you make this for Sims 3?" When I stop seeing that then I consider moving to TS3 because I really want my Sims to have a pet horse and TS3 is said to have horses. But I never investigate the horses. Maybe they are lame?

And then there is cost I have to save money irl and I get Sims 2 cheep from people.

And better graphics scare me. I tried to put Final Fantasy 14 on my PC and nothing moved lagged to stand still. That is after installing graphic card! No, I think game makers should think less of graphics and more about interesting gameplay.
Scholar
#22 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 3:48 AM
The most interesting part about this topic is that it keeps popping up. The horse (or was it a cow?) is obviously still not dead. Maybe we're trying our best to finally kill it?

It was a series many people took for granted. I know I did. I thought each and every title of it would be as charming as the first two had been. It didn't work out that way. It's kind of nonsensical to discard something because it lacks something as undefinable as "charm". I can only say that TS2 Sims make me laugh, still. After all these years, and even though I know by heart what their reactions will be. I still laugh both at them and with them.
When I played TS3 I laughed a very different tune though. It was a bitter laugh of someone who, though dissapointed and tired of all the glitches and problems, tried and tried to make it work. TS3 made me laugh at myself in the end. I was so stupid that I tried to force what no one could ever force. I tried to love the silly game, as I loved the first two. It didn't work. I was so ready to accept it, and yet it felt as there was nothing to accept. Nothing. This "nothing" was just too damn annoying and I eventually turned back to TS2, which has never been empty and devoid of all sense like that. Like my boyfriend said: why would I go for the 100th time into the park and make my Sim play his guitar? Simply put, in TS2 I have a very good reason to do it. In TS3 I had none. And that can only result in boredom. And/or anger, depending on your expectations. Mine were high.

Maybe these high expectations are the single reason we still have to beat the undead horse of this topic until it finally dies?
Forum Resident
#23 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 3:59 AM
I did not even trĂ½ for the Sims 3. I could not care less beforehand.
Got hooked once on the Sims 2 and stayed with it.
Saw pictures of the Sims 3 'people' and found it 3 times nothing.
To me the Sims 2 is the best and I do not even have all the expansion packs.
(Don't have seasons and apartment life and could not care much about that either)
Maybe you just can have 'one true love' :D
Site Helper
#24 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 4:10 AM
I did change to Sims 3. I kept finding myself looking for something more fun to do, like maybe cleaning my toilet (I hate cleaning toilets). After 6 months of complete agony, I changed back to Sims 2.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I did change to Sims 3. I kept finding myself looking for something more fun to do, like maybe cleaning my toilet (I hate cleaning toilets). After 6 months of complete agony, I changed back to Sims 2.

Yeah, that was me, too. I was all prepared to love the crap out of Sims 3. I uninstalled TS2, got rid of all my downloads, even bought game guides (game guides, FFS!). I made excuses to start with (oh, it'll be better when there's an expansion pack or two..or three...). So I bought the expansion packs, and shoved statues around in tombs endlessly, and then another pack where I tattooed my Sims up the wazoo... but still...

I tried so hard to love it, and when that didn't worked, I tried hard just to LIKE it. Then I just gave up and went back to TS2, where I am happy.
Page 1 of 11