Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
just a girl
#976 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shinyknightinarmor
So, it looks like when I backed up my Sims 2 game all those years ago, I only copied the N001 and N002 folders; thinking that was all I needed since they contained, the lots, chars, etc. Now, the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection I downloaded tonight won't see those neighborhoods (They're my old Pleasantview and Strangetown). I never had the Store Edition; my last EP was Freetime when it was released.

Are my Sims gone forever? What would I need to get them working? Sims 2 was never on this PC... and the hard drive from that PC was wiped... and resides in this PC with the now-worthless backups of my neighborhood folders on it.

If you don't see any neighborhoods, try this: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...444#post4454444
Advertisement
Instructor
#977 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 6:33 PM Last edited by Gremily_ : 28th Jul 2014 at 9:37 PM.
Being the silly girl that I am, I forgot to uninstall TS2: Double Deluxe before installing UC.

I want to uninstall my Double Deluxe to hopefully get UC to work. I know I need to delete the program (x86) file of Double Deluxe, but before I do I just want to make sure I've got a good back up:
If I have my backed up EA games folder from Double Deluxe, (even from before I installed UC,) will that be enough to restore my old neighborhoods?

Hopefully that makes sense. ^

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out.
Test Subject
#978 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 10:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CRV13
When you installed "Free Time" (on your old game) didn't you read the part telling you that saves for the newer (Free Time) expansion will not work for saves in the older game? Same is true for UC (seeing as it uses stuff from all EPs & SPs) so indeed your saves are worthless now sadly

I never uninstalled the EPs or anything on the old PC.... and I sure as heck didn't lose all my saves at the time when I first installed FreeTime Way Back Then. The UC is newer (It includes Apartment Life, which I'd never had); logic tells me they should have worked.

It's funny... in my Bon Voyage box, I found a CD-R where I HAD made a full backup... before starting clean with a "fresh" Sims 2 game because BV was acting weird - this fresh game was where the game I can't recover was based.
Space Pony
#979 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 12:26 AM
Why did two people dislike my post?

It is fact you know...

The game doesn't support backward compatibility for save games unlike in TS3. In TS3 you can use save games from an older version of the game onto a newer version of the game (but not the other way around, naturally) just fine, but in TS2 that isn't the case. Especially with the many Edition variations for the game like UC, Fun with Pets etcetera.

If you didn't know that then that only means you're one of those impatient idiots who do not bother reading the various prompts that appear whenever you install stuff on your computer and just click buttons just to get through the installation. Then you go running to a forum or customer support for help when the problem is simply a matter of "PEBCAK" (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard).
Mad Poster
#980 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 1:41 AM
Why did two people dislike my post?

It is fact you know...

The game doesn't support backward compatibility for save games unlike in TS3. In TS3 you can use save games from an older version of the game onto a newer version of the game (but not the other way around, naturally) just fine, but in TS2 that isn't the case. Especially with the many Edition variations for the game like UC, Fun with Pets etcetera.

If you didn't know that then that only means you're one of those impatient idiots who do not bother reading the various prompts that appear whenever you install stuff on your computer and just click buttons just to get through the installation. Then you go running to a forum or customer support for help when the problem is simply a matter of "PEBCAK" (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard).

Because that simmer isn't going backwards. Freetime is an earlier expansion than UC.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Space Pony
#981 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Because that simmer isn't going backwards. Freetime is an earlier expansion than UC.

UC isn't an expansion, it is a Core game Collection Edition. Here read through the SIMs 2 Wikipedia article ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sims_2

It's near the bottom :P

So yeah, those folks having issues with UC is proof of this. UC is basically a new version of the game which includes all EPs & SPs but is a totally different can of worms than what you'd get if you did have the base game with all EPs & SPs installed the old way. This thread further ellaborates on this fact...

http://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/com..._collection_be/

Quote:
The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection's install will be broken if you run CCleaner's registry cleaner, and you will either need to repair or reinstall the game. The Sims 2 used to include a new binary for every new Expansion/Stuff Pack, and also required registry entries for each of them. While older executables were no longer utilised and could be safely deleted, removing their registry entries would break the install. If you run CCleaner, you will see many entries such as these that cannot be deleted. These binaries were not included with the Ultimate Collection, but the game will not run without the registry entries for them. If you remove them, you will see an error message when attempting to launch the game.

So yeah, UC is a totally different & a bit borked rehash of TS2 with everything included.
Field Researcher
#982 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 4:31 AM
The game doesn't support backward compatibility for save games unlike in TS3. In TS3 you can use save games from an older version of the game onto a newer version of the game (but not the other way around, naturally) just fine, but in TS2 that isn't the case... If you didn't know that then that only means you're one of those impatient idiots who do not bother reading the various prompts that appear whenever you install stuff on your computer and just click buttons just to get through the installation.
The Sims 2 has always been backwards compatible with saves from EP to EP. The prompts onscreen say specifically that the saves won't be compatible with earlier versions of the game. AL and FWP both run on newer engine versions and automatically upgrade saves to the new version when you load them. This has always happened.
Quote:
Especially with the many Edition variations for the game like UC, Fun with Pets etcetera.
I can't find anyone complaining that their saves weren't compatible from an expansion to a collection. Only when installing the Complete Collection. Furthermore, the Complete Collection is merely all of the collection packs installing in one download. That's all it is. All of the problems with the neighbourhoods not showing up are related to the Store Edition, a locale glitch, or a registry glitch. Not incompatibility with any EPs or SPs (except, of course, the SE). (I have also heard reports of neighbourhoods showing up after patching.)

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Test Subject
#983 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 4:40 AM
For the record, my old saves didn't work when I reinstalled all my old Sims 2 CDs; all fifteen of them. So, it's my fault for not backing up the whole Sims 2 folder way back then. Unless there's a program somewhere that can convert/fix my old N001 and N002 folders...
Field Researcher
#984 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 4:46 AM
For the record, my old saves didn't work when I reinstalled all my old Sims 2 CDs; all fifteen of them. So, it's my fault for not backing up the whole Sims 2 folder way back then. Unless there's a program somewhere that can convert/fix my old N001 and N002 folders...
You said you only had EPs and SPs up to the FT engine, which would be the reason. There are a few fixes for the "no neighbourhoods" thing that don't involve SE (but you could always try the fix for that as a last resort) that are documented from here on.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Test Subject
#985 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 10:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Portaller
You said you only had EPs and SPs up to the FT engine, which would be the reason. There are a few fixes for the "no neighbourhoods" thing that don't involve SE (but you could always try the fix for that as a last resort) that are documented from here on.

Well, I did try the no TM fix, but it didn't help. My problem isn't zero neighborhoods; just if I replace the existing N001 (Pleasantview) and N002 (Strangetown) folders with my backup copies, those two neighborhoods don't show up in game. The others included with the UC still show up. The same thing happens with my "Legacy" install, for want of a better term.
Mad Poster
#986 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 1:34 PM
Congratulations gwynne on getting over 1,000 posts in your thread within 14 days of starting it! I don't know if it's ever happened on MTS before, but it's the first time I've seen it. The first time I looked at this thread, you just had 2 replies, and I found it hard to believe what I was reading! I suppose EA must take some of the credit for the success of your thread. After they closed the website (about 6 weeks after I got my game), I didn't think EA would do anything else for TS2 ever again, let alone give it away free.

Giving it away free has of course reduced the financial value of the product, though I'd still willingly pay for disks, but I still wish they'd franchise it to a smaller company, who might run it as a niche product. Personally I would be prepared to pay for a fix for all the major outstanding corruption issues, so that we might actually be able to delete Sims and move them between 'hoods as Maxis originally intended.
Lab Assistant
#987 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 2:59 AM
Jesus, I only know about UC from a thread posted on another random forum somewhere, if I hadn't accidentally clicked on the thread and briefly scanned on it I never would've gotten my hands on this. I am still in awe that EA would do this.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#988 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 4:36 AM
shinyknightinarmour:
You deleted the blank N001 and N002 before copying your old ones in, right? Failure to do so would be bad.
Have you run your old 'hoods through HoodChecker?
Can SimPE open their neighbourhood.package files without freaking out? Open it up, load the Object Workshop and hit start , wait for it to finish processing (to prevent it freaking out, this takes a while), then go file -> Open -> N00x -> neighbourhood.package.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#989 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 7:59 PM Last edited by shinyknightinarmor : 30th Jul 2014 at 8:37 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
shinyknightinarmour:
You deleted the blank N001 and N002 before copying your old ones in, right? Failure to do so would be bad.
Have you run your old 'hoods through HoodChecker?
Can SimPE open their neighbourhood.package files without freaking out? Open it up, load the Object Workshop and hit start , wait for it to finish processing (to prevent it freaking out, this takes a while), then go file -> Open -> N00x -> neighbourhood.package.

Oh, SimPE doesn't complain when I open those neighborhoods - I can look in the Sim browser and see all my Sims there, etc...

I just downloaded HoodChecker, but Norton 360 deletes all its .dll files because they're "not safe". Yes, I downloaded it from MTS. Some sort of Ws.Reputation.1 finding; which according to the details, it sounds like Norton deleted it because it felt like it, not because of any ACTUAL threat.

EDIT: Ran it again with Norton turned off.... and all it found to check and remove was a lot of invalid Sim relations and Memories; nothing I'd think would cause Sims 2 to not see it at all on the neighborhood screen...
Forum Resident
#990 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 11:47 PM
My sister wants to get this too... she has most expansions but never had origin and currently her computer isnt available..

If she gets an origin account and uses the code, will she be able to download the sims 2 later on?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#991 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 12:28 AM
Well, I did try the no TM fix, but it didn't help. My problem isn't zero neighborhoods; just if I replace the existing N001 (Pleasantview) and N002 (Strangetown) folders with my backup copies, those two neighborhoods don't show up in game. The others included with the UC still show up. The same thing happens with my "Legacy" install, for want of a better term.

Did you have the store addition back when you played those hoods? Store addition is needed for any hood made with it, so that if you install without store addition the hoods will disappear.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#992 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inhuman One
My sister wants to get this too... she has most expansions but never had origin and currently her computer isnt available..

If she gets an origin account and uses the code, will she be able to download the sims 2 later on?
Yes! We certainly hope so! That's what I'm doing because I'm pretty sure that UC would break my little computer, whereas my current game plays well on it.
But be quick in using the code. 31st July is the last day to redeem it!
Test Subject
#993 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Did you have the store addition back when you played those hoods? Store addition is needed for any hood made with it, so that if you install without store addition the hoods will disappear.

That's just it... I don't remember ever having the Store edition... it wasn't bundled with EPs until Apartment Life and onward; which I never had, Unless it was part of a patch and I never used it. Any "signs" to look for in my old saves?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#994 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:31 AM
What form of EP's did you have? Were they all separate disks or did you have some collections or digital downloads?
University Life Collection, Fun with Pets Collection, Best of Business Collection, Apartment Life Limited Collection and some Double Deluxe players had it also, but others did not. I checked your profile but it doesn't say what you had.

If for some reason you can't get your hoods back you can rescue your sims with simpe.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#995 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
What form of EP's did you have? Were they all separate disks or did you have some collections or digital downloads?
University Life Collection, Fun with Pets Collection, Best of Business Collection, Apartment Life Limited Collection and some Double Deluxe players had it also, but others did not. I checked your profile but it doesn't say what you had.

If for some reason you can't get your hoods back you can rescue your sims with simpe.

I just updated my profile, but I'll list them here. I have:

Sims 2 DVD Edition, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Freetime, and Teen Style Stuff. All disc versions.

I'm pretty sure I never had the store version - It came out in July 2008 and nothing in my backup folders is newer than April 8,2008. I can't try the SE fix because I've nothing with the EP99 folder. :/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#996 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:46 AM
Well that's a good thing, separate disks really is the way to go. So you cut out/deleted the game made Pleasantview and the other game hood before pasting in your backup? (I didn't see what the other hood was, Strangetown?) Now I don't have the UC, but my hoods can be found under Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Neighbourhoods. Is it similar to that? I just want to be sure you cut and pasted in the correct place. They should all be listed in there as N001, N002 etc.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#997 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 6:33 AM
My game is extremely laggy on my $3,500 retina MacBook pro (bootcamp). I don't understand...Bioshock Infinite and The Sims 3 on my Mac side both run exceptionally well, but somehow TS2 is laggy on my PC side! I really want to play without lag and screen tearing, and I know that it's not because of my computer...it has to be bootcamp. I literally played TS2 (Mac version) a decade ago on an atrociously bad computer and it ran much better than it does now.

Also, that stupid black square shadow bug isn't fixed by turning the shadow setting to medium.

Does anyone know why my game is so laggy and why I can't get rid of the shadow bug? Is it because of Windows 8.1? Should I get Windows 7? Is there anything else I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Top Secret Researcher
#998 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 6:54 AM Last edited by rinarunine : 31st Jul 2014 at 7:11 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by pkessler
My game is extremely laggy on my $3,500 retina MacBook pro (bootcamp). I don't understand...Bioshock Infinite and The Sims 3 on my Mac side both run exceptionally well, but somehow TS2 is laggy on my PC side! I really want to play without lag and screen tearing, and I know that it's not because of my computer...it has to be bootcamp. I literally played TS2 (Mac version) a decade ago on an atrociously bad computer and it ran much better than it does now.

Also, that stupid black square shadow bug isn't fixed by turning the shadow setting to medium.

Does anyone know why my game is so laggy and why I can't get rid of the shadow bug? Is it because of Windows 8.1? Should I get Windows 7? Is there anything else I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's not the shadow setting in the game you need to edit, it's the SimShadow in the graphics rules file you need to disable.

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

Also, TS2 was not designed to run on Bootcamp on a Mac. There just might not be any way to fix the problems you're having. Wait to see if anyone's successfully been running it and they'll answer you about improving performance.

Edit: If you have nothing of importance on your Bootcamp install, perhaps Windows 7 might be a better fit to run TS2 with. Though I have no technological basis for it, people do have issues running TS2 with 8 and 8.1 at times.
Lab Assistant
#999 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 7:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rinarunine
It's not the shadow setting in the game you need to edit, it's the SimShadow in the graphics rules file you need to disable.

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

Also, TS2 was not designed to run on Bootcamp on a Mac. There just might not be any way to fix the problems you're having. Wait to see if anyone's successfully been running it and they'll answer you about improving performance.

Edit: If you have nothing of importance on your Bootcamp install, perhaps Windows 7 might be a better fit to run TS2 with. Though I have no technological basis for it, people do have issues running TS2 with 8 and 8.1 at times.

Yes, I know, I edited the files to no avail. I just downloaded Windows 7 and OF COURSE it wont connect to wifi and the resolution is all screwed up. I'm so done with this crap lol...I'm just gonna get 8 or 8.1 again and wait until TS4.
Top Secret Researcher
#1000 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 8:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pkessler
Yes, I know, I edited the files to no avail. I just downloaded Windows 7 and OF COURSE it wont connect to wifi and the resolution is all screwed up. I'm so done with this crap lol...I'm just gonna get 8 or 8.1 again and wait until TS4.

Does Apple provide drivers specific to your Bootcamp install for Windows 7? I've never had to use Bootcamp so I'm sorry I can't be of help.

Not to sound like a sour puss, but a $600 Mac Mini and a $400 Windows desktop are the best of both my web design world and game-playing world. Especially when certain amazing design programs only come out for OSX and certain games only come out for Windows. IE The Sims 4 with absolutely no information on a release date for Mac.

I just hate seeing people on both sides of this fence. "I can't get Affinity Designer for Windows, I don't have a Mac." "I can't get Sims 4 because I don't have a PC". It's miserable feeling that way. Unfortunately not everyone can drop $1000 on two computers for their work / hobbies. Wish game companies worked a bit harder for cross-platform play. Companies are getting better as the years go by but there will always be a gap.
Page 40 of 41