Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 9:05 PM
?is It Incest?
Hi guys, I have very weird question for you. Is it weird if these 2 guys have child together?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 9:15 PM
I wouldn't let it happen, but of course, it's up to you.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 9:21 PM
Your game, your choice. Personally, I wouldn't.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#4 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 9:27 PM
Think that makes them second cousins or something. That is legal in my country, it is legal in most parts of the world, it is actually promoted in several cultures. I've never tried it in a sim game, but if the game allows it (therefore thinks it's legal) then I can't see where the problem is.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 9:29 PM
Looks like she's his great-aunt. The game doesn't recognize that as a family relationship. It'd squick me, but that's me. ETA: Oh, right, second cousin, I can't see straight. Less squick there, and whether I'd consider it wise would be a matter of how inbred the family as a whole is.

What degree of consanguinity is permitted, and how it's tracked, is culture-specific. In some cultures, people who would count as brother and sister to the program could marry, while people who don't seem to be related at all as the program and European family trees would reckon are considered too closely related for marriage. And the culture in your game is exactly what you say it is.

You don't need our permission to breed these two, just your own. If you want to do it, but it bothers you, perhaps you could explore your attitudes by doing a story arc centering on the point.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#6 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 9:38 PM
closest descendant allowed in shipped version is great-grandchild. descendant of a sibling; I think grandchild of the sibling. descendant of a cousin; I think child of the cousin. closest in same generation; I think great-grandchildren of closest common ancestor.
Instructor
#7 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 10:00 PM
I mean, I doubt their child would end up like Charles II of Spain, but it's a matter of culture and your own opinion regarding inbreeding.

In my culture, for example, it's more or less something of a joke. But I know in others it's perfectly common and considered a normal thing to do. There's actually a fairly large Jewish community in my city that, if someone were to map out everyone's lineage, there's a highly likely chance they'd be related to that guy or gal they had a crush on in grade school. Pretty neat, actually.

Off-topic aside, I still think second cousins is a little iffy IRL, but that's just me. In the sims (and in some countries/states), it's doable, so it's up to you and what you hold your beliefs to be.
Instructor
#8 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 10:23 PM
In the Netherlands dating cousins is mostly discouraged, but it happens. In ancient Egypt lots of pharaohs married their sisters, and sometimes also their daughters. If the culture of your 'hood allows a relationship between these Sims, there isn't any problem with it.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 10:25 PM
Real life yes, Sims 2 game no.

I think there is a mod somewhere that will stop all relationships from happening for 10 gen or so.
I will go look for it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 10:35 PM Last edited by mare31xxl : 15th Jun 2017 at 1:56 PM.
Uhh She is only teenager but she is his great-aunt, i love this the sims 2 logic! Anyway, I have already married them together with inteen xd..
This "story" started when their parents died together and she needed someone to take care of her. :Dd But thanks for replies, I really appreciate it! And in my real country i think it's legal, but it's weird and almost impossible.

E1: well now shes pregnant xd
E2: ok now they have 2 children xdd i feel like really bad person
Mad Poster
#11 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 10:37 PM
IMHO the degree of consanguinity matters less than the power relationships. I would look askance at any adult marrying a teen in their charge, regardless of blood relationship.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 10:38 PM
Aren't they first cousins once removed?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 11:33 PM
The dudes father is first cousin to the girl. I wouldn't personally, in reality or in game, but as already said, your game your rules your decision.

Edit: According to wikipedias explanation of the weird english cousin-name setup, Lauratje is right, first cousin once removed. Source.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 12:08 AM
Well, she already gave birth to a baby and now she is going to college but thanks for replies xd does someone have something similar in the sims game?:D
Link Ninja
#15 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 12:41 AM
I have a couple that shared the same great-grandfather, their grandparents were siblings.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 1:01 AM
Laura is correct! https://isogg.org/w/images/thumb/4/..._kinship%29.png

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Test Subject
#17 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 2:04 AM
My copy of Strangetown is getting quite inbred, which was initially unintentional, then I started encouraging it to see how tangled it could get. Edd Grunt is dating Hedone Beaker, and they are first cousins-once-removed (Edd is the son of Erin Beaker, Hedone is the granddaughter of Loki Beaker and is herself the result of half-sibling incest).
Edd's older brother, Aaron, is dating Rachel Nigmos, who is the step-child of his older half-brother. So she's his step-half-niece, I guess.
There was also Lola and Vidcund, which a vanilla game will actually allow for some reason. The Curious brothers (and Jenny Smith) don't seem to realise Lola and Chloe are their half-sisters. So Vid and Lola had 2 biological kids (Thanatos and Nemesis) and adopted 8 more.
As far as I can tell, inbreeding in The Sims does not have the detrimental effects that inbreeding in real life has (unless you count getting two copies of the "Loki brows" gene as detrimental).
Test Subject
#18 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 2:14 AM
The interesting thing is that Sims 2 does not recognize great- grandchildren/ great- grandparents as family.

Btw, ever wondered why incest is illegal is so many countries? One of the values that a country's common law or/and constitution should protect is the morals supported by the general population of the particular country. And at the time common-law 'packages' were created/ adopted people were motivated by religion to believe that incest is wrong.
So to summarize, religion has had a major impact on our law.

To me incest seems wrong, but I think that's because I've been socialized to think that its wrong. At the end of the day if a brother and a sister want to do the woohoo why should they be arrested for that, they're not bothering anyone.
Theorist
#19 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 2:40 AM
Watch this video, then decide. (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Test Subject
#20 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 2:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ineedtoworknow
The interesting thing is that Sims 2 does not recognize great- grandchildren/ great- grandparents as family.

Btw, ever wondered why incest is illegal is so many countries? One of the values that a country's common law or/and constitution should protect is the morals supported by the general population of the particular country. And at the time common-law 'packages' were created/ adopted people were motivated by religion to believe that incest is wrong.
So to summarize, religion has had a major impact on our law.

To me incest seems wrong, but I think that's because I've been socialized to think that its wrong. At the end of the day if a brother and a sister want to do the woohoo why should they be arrested for that, they're not bothering anyone.

I'd disagree that it's because of religion that incest is illegal in most nations. For most of human history, we did not have effective birth control, so heterosexual sex would almost always involve a risk of pregnancy. Since many genetic diseases are recessive (meaning you need two identical copies of the gene), it would be more likely that a child would inherit a disease if their parents were closely related (because close relatives are more likely to share that gene). Hence why incest would be considered taboo.
As for whether we should legalise incest now that birth control is a thing, that's another question.
Scholar
#21 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 3:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mare31xxl
Well, she already gave birth to a baby and now she is going to college but thanks for replies xd does someone have something similar in the sims game?:D

The first time I played Strangetown, I had Tank's grandson marry the daughter of Tank's half-brother Ajay, which I think is the same kind of relationship you have here. It was an arranged marriage to bring the Grunt fortune back into Tank's line of inheritance, because Ajay's mother had outlived the General by a long time and left everything to her own son, including what should have gone to Tank. By the standards of Europe's royal families, it's really nothing out of the ordinary.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 3:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
Watch this video, then decide. (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

This is a much, much better one to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H-OD6CFoDI

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 4:45 AM
They're cousins, it's legal in my country, but still gross.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 5:31 AM
One reason incest is such a strong taboo is simply the matter of family power dynamics. Incestuous relationships are not often truly consensual; one party (usually but not always male) has an unfair influence to exert on the other party (usually but not always female). Think how few brothers and sisters (much less parents and children, aunts or uncles and nieces or nephews) are truly equal in terms of their family roles. An older child will have a certain amount of authority and responsibility over a younger one, one gender may be held to have authority over the other in the family culture, and older children have a larger knowledge and experience base. The reasons cousins are a fuzzy area is that cousins are far more often on an intimate and equal footing than other relatives.

Instructor
#25 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 6:48 AM
What I find interesting--and maybe it's just me picking up on this now--is that incest hasn't been something limited to specific people based on class.

In my culture, the thought of marrying one's cousin (whether it be first, second, twice-removed etc.) is often associated with lower-class citizens and their communities. From there, it's been easy to make fun of such a practice because there's always the notion that "backwoodsy" folks are less educated than the rest of the world. So, in my society, it's pointed and laughed at.

But, then you have these noble and powerful families who practiced consanguinity extremely so. (Poor Charles II.) It was all for power and "maintaining pedigree blood" and what not, but if only they had realized they were acting as the uneducated ones by intertwining so much of the same DNA! (Granted, they didn't know, but you'd think after the increased fragile health and mental illness in their heirs, they'd pick up on something.)
Page 1 of 3