Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Nov 2020 at 9:34 PM
Default Is it ok to play with Maxis templates?
Hi! I've been playing this game for long but recently I've discovered thanks to PleasantSims that you can use neighborhood templates without any bugs or glitches from EAxis bad coding. I'm currently using Meetmetotheriver clean templates but they have something I don't like. She deleted almost all ancestor of premade sims. I know it was because she wanted to save space and I get it. It's not a big deal, but I still kind of want to have those ancestors on the family trees of my sims. Is it safe to play with the base neighborhoods? Or are they supper buggy? I also know there is Mootilda's HoodChecker for removing corruption from the 'hoods, it is enough to use the base neighborhoods safely using that software?
Or if there isn't any solution for this, is there a way to create familty trees outside the game? Where I would be able to introduce the missing ancestor to calm my OCD, lol.
Regards, Leo.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Nov 2020 at 9:49 PM
This is the one I use for Strangetown:
https://modthesims.info/d/641841/fi...trangetown.html
Maybe others can post their tips and favourites.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Nov 2020 at 9:55 PM
The base neighborhoods are broken out of the box, but the degree of broken varies wildly. I'm playing a broken Strangetown and it hasn't thrown any major curve balls at me. The iteration I played before it, though, died the second time I opened it. Back up your game frequently, observe good game hygiene, and have fun.

The kind of brokenness that the base game neighborhoods have is contained to the neighborhoods. Playing them won't break your other hoods or have any affect on your game program files.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
#4 Old 6th Nov 2020 at 10:52 PM
Pretty much the same as above, I've played both the original Strangetown and Pleasantview. I got through each household 6-8 times (so I played about 6-8 Sim days at each household) and I never saw any signs of corruption for Strangetown, but the game started crashing in Pleasantview every so often. I was playing those to test how TS2 ran on my laptop when I first bought it so I didn't keep up with either of them. I want to add Strangetown as a subhood to my custom town and since I've put so much work into my town I'd only add Meetme's since they're clean.
So you're fine to play with the original Maxis ones, just try not to get too attached and like Peni said keep good game hygiene. You might be able to play it for many days or even years.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Nov 2020 at 11:38 PM
I remember one of the main problems with Strangetown was the genetics involving the Smiths, my niece played that for a couple of generations and ended up with sims that couldn't give birth without crashing because the game couldn't determine the babies' genetics. Not sure if there was really anything crash-worthy in the other two.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 12:06 AM
I've been playing Maxis Veronaville since November 2012. Since I got a new Dell Windows 10 gaming laptop last month, it's playing the best it's ever been. I make (and keep) backups every few days. They are my insurance against it becoming unplayable. I run HoodChecker after every backup. The attached Downtown is also Maxis. The attached Bluewater is by Tarlia/meetme2the river, because I knew about her clean 'hoods by the time I got OFB. There's also an attached custom shopping district. I am very attached to the 'hood which includes lots of CAS Sims, as well as the Maxis pre-mades. If it ever does become unplayable, I'll restore from a recent backup and try to go on playing. I'm becoming increasingly hopeful that, one way or another I'll be able to go on playing this neighbourhood until my own final fateful meeting with the Grim Reaper.

Meantime my Sims are planning to celebrate Thanksgiving at the end of this month. To give thanks for eight years of peace, progress and prosperity in Veronaville.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
#7 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 12:10 AM
From what I can remember reading the ancestors in Veronaville are really messed up, and there's stuff like the ghost of Romeo and Mercutio's mother looking pregnant (and continuing to look pregnant if you resurrect her iirc) despite not being pregnant.
And of course all the out-of -the-box hoods have heaps of junk data and eventually (right away or after 10 years of constant playing) leads to corruption. I remember one time I played Pleasantview and Beau Broke got a permanently empty want slot as soon as he became a teenager.
Though tbh that's the only really "bad" sign of corruption I ever saw, despite playing the corrupted versions of Pleasantview and Strangetown a lot before finding the cleaned templates.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 2:48 AM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 9th Nov 2020 at 1:53 AM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by Madlion94
Hi! I've been playing this game for long but recently I've discovered thanks to PleasantSims that you can use neighborhood templates without any bugs or glitches from EAxis bad coding. I'm currently using Meetmetotheriver clean templates but they have something I don't like. She deleted almost all ancestor of premade sims. I know it was because she wanted to save space and I get it. It's not a big deal, but I still kind of want to have those ancestors on the family trees of my sims.

Hi, Leo!

If you have all EPs and SPs (or the Ultimate Collection), you might like to try redandvidya's versions of the three base game neighborhoods. These are based on meetmetotheriver's clean templates and include resurrectable ancestors. The neighborhoods are all CC-free.

Pleasantview (available either here on MTS or on the Tumblr)
https://modthesims.info/d/640540/ne...easantview.html

https://redandvidya.tumblr.com/post...unday-night-huh

Strangetown - https://redandvidya.tumblr.com/post...-i-finished-new

Veronaville - https://redandvidya.tumblr.com/post...ear-anniversary

Base game neighborhoods available as shopping district sub-hoods:
https://redandvidya.tumblr.com/post...to-subhoods-and

Like Simsample above, I also have a copy of Dorsal Axe's Strangetown. This one also includes resurrectable ancestors and has some differences to the version that Tarlia (meetmetotheriver) made.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 5:06 AM
I've only ever played with the neighborhoods that came with the game to find out how the game worked on my old computers and also at first to learn about the game when first starting in the base game about 15 years ago.I don't play them anymore though I might go into one to grab a house I want to have and be able to recreate or to build something.I do use the emoty terrain templates that came with the game though those are empty and blank slates and you have to add everythng yourself.I've got an active BACC in the Strangetown template and had to build my own lots and add my own sims.I've not seen any issues yet except that my sims got lulled into not preparing for winter until very late in the fall season because of unusually warm dry weather.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 1:42 PM
I have meetme2theriver's Strangetown attached as a shopping district for my Pleasantview and from what I've seen, I still have ancestors... unless you mean something else, or certain generations have been removed.

As others have mentioned, the Maxis Neighbourhoods shipped corrupted. Not to fret, as if you use the HoodChecker and look into ways to prevent worsening the corruption, the hoods can last for a while. The Pleasantview hood I'm playing is Maxis and I'm keeping the rest of the Maxis main hoods. I don't like the fact that there's no townies...

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Forum Resident
#11 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I have meetme2theriver's Strangetown attached as a shopping district for my Pleasantview and from what I've seen, I still have ancestors... unless you mean something else, or certain generations have been removed.

The first generation of ancestors is missing from meetme2theriver's hoods. So you'll have Gunter Goth in the family tree, but his parents are not there.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 4:15 PM
Oh, right. I'm only using her subhood Strangetown at the moment and plan to use the rest of the subhoods. I'm going to stick with the Maxis original main hoods despite their corruption and just practice basic game hygiene. I want the original townies and things.

Come to think of it, I did feel that a generation was missing as I remembered some family trees being longer (in Strangetown).

Mad Poster
#13 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 4:26 PM
@CrystalFlame260 -I like the terrains from the hoods though I just use the templates instead of the populated versions because I can play it uncorrupted and still take the same precautions though the towns will last much longer and I'm starting blank with only one couple at first and will be able to manage the town far better by adding families in very slowly over time.I'm playing the Strangetown terrrain template and had a blank canvas to start with so I just built a community service center and set down the first homestead lot before moving my first couple in once the homestead was set up.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 6:30 PM
I think that Maxis Pleasantview and Veronaville won't have any major issues, as their biggest problems are inconsistency in ages, missing/unfinished memories and some DNA mismatch; Strangetown might be more problematic, due to Olive's victims being busted, but sending their graves on a lot that you won't use (or deleting them with nounlinkondelete installed) will probably save you some trouble.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 7:37 PM
I think the main reason why Tarlia/MeetMe removed the ancestors was that they are buggy (the ones left, if you have her newer versions, may even resurrect safely) and that if you are using the clean templates for a megahood the lack of those ancestral dead sims cuts down on neighborhood size.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 10:06 PM
Thanks a lot to everyone! I'm finding your information to be super useful. Can someone tell me how to maintain a good game hygiene? Is there any post or guide?
Regards, Leo.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Hi, Leo!

If you have all EPs and SPs (or the Ultimate Collection), you might like to try redandvidya's versions of the three base game neighborhoods. These are based on meetmetotheriver's clean templates and include resurrectable ancestors. The neighborhoods are all CC-free.

Pleasantview (available either here on MTS or on the Tumblr)
https://modthesims.info/d/640540/ne...easantview.html

https://redandvidya.tumblr.com/post...unday-night-huh

Strangetown - https://redandvidya.tumblr.com/post...-i-finished-new

Veronaville - https://redandvidya.tumblr.com/post...ear-anniversary

Base game neighborhoods available as shopping district sub-hoods:
https://redandvidya.tumblr.com/post...to-subhoods-and

Like Simsample above, I also have a copy ofDorsal Axe's Strangetown. This one also includes resurrectable ancestors and has some differences to the version that Tarlia (meetmetotheriver) made.

I have the Ultimate Collection! Thanks, I'll try them out.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 11:37 PM
Good game hygiene:
Don't do any of the Very Bad Things - move sims (including graves) to the lot bin, delete sims with the trash can, destroy graves, add Universal sims to a household, etc.
Install the corruption-forestalling mods: No Sim Loaded (with Smarter EP Check), nounlinkondelete, nocorruptdeath.
Don't use cheat or mod functions you don't understand. The batbox is a very useful device but there are times when you really should not delete global gravestone tokens.
Make back up copies of your active neighborhoods periodically. The optimum backup schedule will vary depending on neighborhood, player, and playstyle. At minimum, back up after a major advance that you know you want to keep, and before any major changes such as adding a subhood.
After making a back up, run Hoodchecker to remove invalid memories and other small bits of code that might jam the works of your game.
Have fun!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#19 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
I think that Maxis Pleasantview and Veronaville won't have any major issues, as their biggest problems are inconsistency in ages, missing/unfinished memories and some DNA mismatch; Strangetown might be more problematic, due to Olive's victims being busted, but sending their graves on a lot that you won't use (or deleting them with nounlinkondelete installed) will probably save you some trouble.

I thought that Pleasantview and Veronaville had sims deleted during development, too. It's partially why symptoms of corruption can present themselves just as quickly if you're not careful. Strangetown is just worse off in borkage, but they're all borked. Still love the hoods, but they do have issues out of the box.

Alchemist
#20 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 6:32 PM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 12:11 AM Last edited by Madlion94 : 11th Nov 2020 at 1:51 AM. Reason: Mention some new information
And what about the other 'hoods? Desiderata Valley, Riverblossom Hills and Belladona Cove are too corrupted? Or they are safe? Just for curiosity sake. I define myself as a Knowledge sim lol :P. Thank you all for your answers! Have a nice day, Leo.
Edit: Nice site you have Sunrader! I checked it out and found that you did a fixed version of another modder, pretty cool.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I thought that Pleasantview and Veronaville had sims deleted during development, too. It's partially why symptoms of corruption can present themselves just as quickly if you're not careful. Strangetown is just worse off in borkage, but they're all borked. Still love the hoods, but they do have issues out of the box.

Although they were partially deleted, ancestors still have their character files, with memories, family trees and relationships correctly linked to their relatives. Belladonna Cove is the only Maxis hood that is truly corrupted, because of Chastity Gere's grandmother who was deleted entirely (along with her character file, which makes her impossible to restore).