Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Smarter Food Serving 2g

by dizzy2 Posted 19th Jun 2005 at 12:58 PM - Updated 26th Sep 2005 at 4:02 AM by dizzy2 : Update

129 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 128 Feedback Posts
Page 3 of 6
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 2:55 AM
My (no longer) hungry Sims are thanking you for your quick editting, thanks so much...
Field Researcher
#52 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 6:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TortureTheNannies
I fear this may be impossible , but I suggest a hack whereas the sim actually COUNTS the number of people in the house and SERVES that number of dishes.
The family size is 8 but the serving size is 6. That's been annoying ever since sims 1.0.
This works that way in mine. If there are 9 people, it serves 9 meals, or whatever. My Sims can feed all 8 Secret Society members and themselves now, whereas before they could only serve 5 of the 8 and themselves.

WHY DO SIMS NEVER EXPERIENCE A MID-LIFE CRISIS?
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 1:20 AM
i had to take this out of my d/l folder. instead of serving anyone they only served themselves even when children hungry was well down. makes no sense to me that i would want them to do that. its better to have them serve to much then not enough. you click serve meal and they only do for them. thats crazy. just thought i pass this on. thanks anyways just not the hack for me.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#54 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 7:12 PM
crouchygirl, you might want to try this hack without using other fridge hacks.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 11:49 PM
I wonder if you could make a version of this hack that let's us dictate the number of servings ourselves.
The reason I'm asking this is because I'm using Inge's 4-keys doors to have lots with 3 apartments. So, when a sim serves a meal he atempts to serve the occupants of the other apartments too. This could be avoided if we could decide the number of meals to be served. Is this possible? Thanks!

To reach the unreachable star.

Wilde Legacy

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#56 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 3:34 AM
ll, it's possible but this would be something Inge could probably do a lot better than I could. Inge is more familiar with the Apartment mod system and is fully aware of its dependencies and such. This serving system is really just a fridge hack with some routines added to it.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 9:36 PM
Okay this was a problem with 1e but I thought I'd mention it anyway. I think your calculation of 'hungry' is off and the pregnant woman didn't seem to be counted at all (although this could have been a problem with the 'hungry bit)
I had three sim adults, all hungry enough in my eyes to warrant feeding. One pregnant. The sim made only one dish.

This same family (at the time with three adults (one pregnant) and one child) at any time with any combination of people at home or awake the sim cooking only seemed to serve one dish. At one point when the pregnant sim was alone she went through the process of cooking and came out with an empty dish!

I think maybe the bar for hunger is set too low
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#58 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 11:55 PM
Yeah, 1e was tuned to 50% for the hunger level.

This version (1f) is tuned to 35 and -35 (roughly 66% and 33%) for the add 1 and 2 points levels.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 26th Jul 2005 at 4:24 AM
Does this conflict with the non-autonomy fridge? Anyone know?
Top Secret Researcher
#60 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 3:34 PM
I have had a small problem with this hack. It never happened before so if its not this hack, then its conflicting with something else. Sometimes, one of my sims will lose the ability to cook anything. The option will simply not show up when I click on the fridge or stove. If I wait a minute, then the option comes back. I have the non-autonomy fridge but I have not been using it. This happens with all fridges, but is less likely to happen with the most expensive fridge.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 5:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
I have had a small problem with this hack. It never happened before so if its not this hack, then its conflicting with something else. Sometimes, one of my sims will lose the ability to cook anything. The option will simply not show up when I click on the fridge or stove. If I wait a minute, then the option comes back. I have the non-autonomy fridge but I have not been using it. This happens with all fridges, but is less likely to happen with the most expensive fridge.

Yes, I'm having this problem too and it's happening with great frequency - usually at the most unsuitable times. Twice now when the headmaster has arrived the fridge has lost some of it's options - including 'Have Dinner' and 'Serve Dinner'. Sometimes, I am able to click on the cooker to carry out the instructions to cook, but more often than not, the order to cook simply drops out of the Sim's list of things to do.

I have found that if a Sim has a snack the menu will return, but only after they have finished eating the snack or drinking the juice and have disposed of the bag or can. While this resolves the problem, it takes time and by then my Siims can be getting very hungry - especially pregnant Sims - one died of starvation waiting for the fridge to be freed up and I lost a lot of time by having to quit without saving (lost the dicing with Death thing).

It also happens at breakfast far too often. By the time the fridge has freed itself, the school bus/car pool has arrived and kids and parents have to go out still very hungry, some even pointing at their stomachs with hunger.

As much as I really like this mod, it's causing me too much trouble and I'm going to remove it. But I'll be looking out for an updated version as it's something this game really needs. When it's working, it's brilliant.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#62 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 8:10 PM
Are you people blind? Read my freakin' post before you USE this mod!

Quote:
To avoid kitchen collisions, I have also implemented a lock down timer (which is set to 1 hour). This will only prevent more than one sim from trying to serve/have a meal/stuff face. It does not lock down the grill or prevent snacking or serving desserts, etc.

If you don't want your fridge to do this, don't use this mod.
Top Secret Researcher
#63 Old 29th Jul 2005 at 12:43 AM
I love this. However, can you kinda include a serve command that will serve the old style, just in case they are expecting visitors in future updates?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#64 Old 29th Jul 2005 at 2:45 AM
I think I can improve this mod greatly, but it will take some time to sort out how to do everything properly. First on the list, I need to investigate a way to kill the lock timer if people cancel the interaction.
Field Researcher
#65 Old 29th Jul 2005 at 8:10 AM
dizzy2, I'm probably wrong, but I thought that if my sim cooked for one it cost 10 simoleans but if they served food it cost 20 simoleans. That would mean you save 10 simoleans per every sim over 2 -- save 10 simoleans when feeding three sims, save 20 simoleans when feeding four, etc. I'm tired though and I almost always use the motherlode cheat to make and furnish nice houses, so I really don't pay much attention to the price of things. My pet peeve is when they place x number of plates on the table and some of the "x" number are sound asleep in bed! LOL!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#66 Old 29th Jul 2005 at 8:22 AM
Different types of food have different food costs which also supply different amounts and different levels of hunger satisfaction. This mod simply sets the amount and attempts to adjust the food cost accordingly.

Without this mod, 1 meal is the same as the cost of 1 with this mod. If you serve a meal, normally you are given 6 servings for the price of 4. You will more than likely waste food, but you get a trade-off in terms of bulk-order savings. With this mod, serving 4 or 6 costs as much as 1 meal served to 4 or 6 regardless (no savings), but you also can serve just 2 or 3 (which is less than 4, obviously).

Unless you keep the fridge stocked with a hack, you're going to spend a pretty good percentage of your budget on food either way. (At Uni, unless you live in the dorm, you're looking at about 30% to 75% of your budget for food.)
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dizzy2
Are you people blind? Read my freakin' post before you USE this mod!

If you don't want your fridge to do this, don't use this mod.

Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't know what kitchen collision or lockdown timer meant. While I appreciate all your hard work more than you can know, there is no reason to be rude when someone asks a simple question. If you didn't want to answer it, you could have ignored it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#68 Old 4th Aug 2005 at 12:19 AM Last edited by dizzy2 : 4th Aug 2005 at 12:41 AM. Reason: I'm too nice for my own good, sometimes :P
Okay. Comment acknowledged.
Scholar
#69 Old 4th Aug 2005 at 10:45 AM
thanks for the upate which stops the lockdown if you cancel the action.
this mod works well as far as i'm concerned. 2 meals served for the pregnant, no meals for the not hungry and so forth
i can't say i've encountered any problems with it, its working the way described
for those of you asking, it works with the non-autonomy fridge and with the breakfast at midnight, and the fill fridge at midnight mods
Field Researcher
#70 Old 9th Aug 2005 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TortureTheNannies
I fear this may be impossible , but I suggest a hack whereas the sim actually COUNTS the number of people in the house and SERVES that number of dishes.
The family size is 8 but the serving size is 6. That's been annoying ever since sims 1.0.

I was finally able to make this happen. The hack is available here. A group meal will have as many servings as there are sims on the lot. You can't choose how many plates to serve on the table, that would require a dialog during the serve routine that I think would get annoying very fast.

My mods for The Sims 2 can now be downloaded from this site.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#71 Old 10th Aug 2005 at 10:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by twojeffs
You can't choose how many plates to serve on the table, that would require a dialog during the serve routine that I think would get annoying very fast.

I agree with that. The fewer dialogs, the better. Now, if we can just make the menu work a little smarter (i.e. less lobster), this game will be a little less annoying.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 10th Aug 2005 at 1:50 PM
I am enjoying it very much.
The game is remarkably more enjoyable without having to pause to monitor hunger levels of every sim in the home whenever someone heads to the fridge...

I have the no autonomy fridge, but not sure I've played a home with it since this. I don't really need it now. At very least, you don't need to worry about a conflict as I've had no issues with both installed.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 5:59 PM
This hack hasn't worked good for me. My gameplay doesn't go along with this hack. I don't feed my sims when they go absolutely hungry, and i serve my dinner BEFORE my guests arrive. So when i DO make dinner it's only for 2 or 3 sims and i'm expecting more to come. So any way to reverse what this hack has done?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#74 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 9:23 PM
Order pizza if you're expecting guests or throwing a party.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 10:57 PM Last edited by syberspunk : 12th Aug 2005 at 10:59 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lord_Morgan
So any way to reverse what this hack has done?

Uhh... remove it from your downloads and don't use it? :P

AFAIK, sims that you invite over don't always arrive hungry. From what I've been told, their status is kinda random. So... even if you did invite sims over for dinner, who's to say they will actually join you and eat your food. They might get hungry while they are over, but that might not happen until after they've hung around for a while.

It's too bad you can't invite sims over with a specific activity in mind, such as invite for dinner/lunch, invite for pool party/bbq, invite to just hang out/watch tv/shoot pool. So that sims actually come over with the appropriate needs at a level where they would be fulfilled by whatever activity you will be engaging them with. So... if you did invite them to dinner, they would actually show up hungry. If you did invite them to watch tv or shoot pool or for a pool party, then they would go over and use those objects, rather than barging into your house, once you greet them (IF they are the ones that actually need greeting first and not those really obnoxious ones that just show up and invade your home immediately) and autonomously choosing to use whatever objects in your house they see fit, totally disrespecting your privacy and personal space. :P

Haha, but this is all wishful thinking. It would be nice though, if sims behaved somewhat properly, but meh, sims aren't real people I suppose. And most real people don't even behave properly either so. :shrugs:

Ste

PS. Alternatively, you can get twojeffs' serve more hack here which is supposed to complement this hack. If I understand it correctly, your sim will serve more food if there are more valid hungry sims on the lot that were not present/valid at the time of food prep. So... if your sim is cooking while the invited sims show up, theoretically, your sim should now serve the proper amount of plates.
Page 3 of 6