Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#676 Old 30th Nov 2013 at 7:27 PM
After all this time, I'm still on the fence about Apartment Life. I see that some of my favorite mods don't play nicely with it, though it seems that one or two sites have similar mods that may be just fine.

As I think I wrote before, I read all these horror stories about AL installation and gameplay problems. Someone wrote that the game needs to be online, and has limited amounts of installs. (I believe that is false now) Others wrote of baby-stealing butlers, disappearing furniture and CC problems. (Most likely, patching and mods can fix all of these issues, correct?)

I've left my decision in the hands of fate .... I am bid-watching right now on an auction site. If I get this, I'll play it. If not, I'll wait.

You folks here didn't seem to have that many problems with it. It seems that a whole lot of people like this EP, so it shouldn't be THAT bad ... right?

If I don't get AL, I'm debating between two SPs right now as a stocking stuffer: Celebration Stuff and Glarmour Life. I'm getting H&M and Ikea for Christmas, already have TS and K&B (really like the latter, BTW), don't see the point for M&G if I don't get AL, and have no interest at the moment in FFS or the holiday SP. Of Glamour Life and Celebrations, which is the one you folks prefer?

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#677 Old 30th Nov 2013 at 8:02 PM
You can find just about anything on the internet, including silly stories about AL needing to be online (absolutely untrue, of course). I don't believe that a patched AL game is particularly buggy.

As with all EPs, patch. Make sure that your mods are compatible with the game and with each other. Look for critical mods like alfixes from MATY.
Mad Poster
#678 Old 30th Nov 2013 at 9:38 PM
Quote:
Glamour Life or Celebrations

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims...mour_Life_Stuff
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims...ebration!_Stuff

For me I would get both then try to get the rest of them you don't have.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#679 Old 30th Nov 2013 at 10:07 PM Last edited by gazania : 4th Dec 2013 at 12:50 AM.
My mods and hacks are in their own folders, ready to test.

Of course, I would back up my current game and put it on disk, just in case something goes wrong. I know the mantra: "Back it up, back it up, back it up."

Patches would be scouted here immediately if I got the game. If I'm waiting for it to arrive, I suppose I could start finding known-incompatible mods and noting them as well.

If I don't win the game, yes .... those two SPs are pretty cheap used via the half/Amazon/auction route. I could get both.

So now, it's wait and see to see if I get this EP.

EDIT ... Didn't win the game, but got it even cheaper off Amazon. I got M&G and GL as well. The latter was selling for a really good price on half.com. I think I'll have to wait for any other SPs for a while, though .... I kind of overdid it. However, my family now has some perfect holiday gifts for me, whether they know or not. Let the fun begin come the end of December! (I hope!)

Alchemist
#680 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 11:04 PM
I've had a lot of money this christmas, and since both my University and OFB disc we're gone missing uninstalled I went to the mall to find OFB and University, I only bought OFB since I want to save my money for new clothing!

But I'm thinking about getting University too, it might be my last chance..
Test Subject
#681 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 6:42 AM Last edited by femoral2 : 22nd Jan 2014 at 8:09 PM.
For me the BEST combination is Nightlife + Apartment Life, nothing more. I really like both of them. And one PRO of having AL is that you have the last engine of the game, that means that most of the mods from 2008 to the present(and most of the mods from 2005-2007 updated(or not)), works much better with AL than without it, and that most of the gameplay improvements from previous EP(marked as features) are included here to preserve compability.

You should notice that the more expansions you have, the easier it turns the game(therefore less fun), more annoys includes and the loading times are longer.

Some of the fixes that I use with NL+AL only :D:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fi.../Hacks-rar.html

I personally don't like any of the other EPs or SPs. The freetime one is the worst, spams here and there(suscriptions call, chance cards, warnings of losing or gaining enthusiams, humble, hobby liders visists, etc) , the best mod against all this spams is the one that disables the EP itself(or the uninstall boton). The LTA benefits are like mini cheats and the items are so big that you probably will not use them in a normal house. The genie is cool, but is the same a wishing more cheats.
-The EP Pets is dull.
-BV is dull and it doesn't fit with the original gameplay.
-Seasons is mostly decorative and laggy.
-OFB is timeconsuming and I don't think is cool either. The Perks, the facilitators items(more things for the casual gamer) and the big amount of mods required to pass my standards of quality(seriously there a lot of things that needs adjustments) are some of the things that I dislike about this EP. And there are some other things that I just don't get it either. Like starting a business in your home, then buy the Electrono-Ticket Machine, set low price and that is. People will pay you for nothing every hour.
-University is tedious and it reminds me that I should be studying not playing a game. The only good thing about University are some of the items like cellphones, mp3, minibar, etc. Nevertheless, If I want the 5,6,7 slot wants, without Uni, I use to buy the reward from the djsmirrorofwantingandlocks mod, for example, and that is.
Test Subject
#682 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 5:12 AM
Expansion Packs
Seasons would be the best choice IMHO, I love University and OFB but I think out of all of them, Season would be the best, that or Freetime!
Lab Assistant
#683 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 2:11 PM
I like Seasons the best, following with Pets. I finally installed Bon Voyage yesterday on a Windows 8 O.P. And I must say I don't know what all the excitement was about. I suppose I have the almost universal love/hate relationship with Maxis - I especially don't like the fact that when Windows 8 came out neither Microsoft nor Maxis did or have done little more than the proverbial hand job to we users that ended up with an O.P that doesn't support The Sims 2. or 3.
There IS a way to circumvent all the problems associated with installation, but only here at MTS will a person find the answers. They left us twisting in the wind and heaven forbid if your computer dies and you have to purchase a Widows 8.
I read that H.P is now selling computers with Windows 7 installed! Not that H.P is a great computer for the Sims 2 either, I've read H.P is in itself not a good computer for gaming. I've also read that Windows has included a fix in their Widows 8.2 O.S.
But as time goes on, computer makers are getting wise to the fact that Windows 8 doesn't support major gaming, and gaming is a big industry. People are also learning this fact and eschewing 8.
Anyway, I loaded all the the vacation places from Bon Voyage and was sad to see all the hotels, etc., are painted with the same dark and dull colors Maxis is so into. Whoever creates their lots ( I get the feeling) has some major depression going on! Even a child knows light colors are lifting, dark paint is depressing. I was also surprised at the few offerings of new furniture, etc., that came with the game.
Test Subject
#684 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 12:32 AM
I have Double Deluxe, Fun with Pets, and Bon Voyage. I love all of them equally, because each one adds onto it. But anyway, here's my review
Double Deluxe- I've always had cars in this game, so it'd be hard to imagine life without it
Fun with Pets- YAY! Now I can add puppies!! Oh and also, the family just isn't complete without a pet!! my personal favorite, now I've got something to ruin that nice new couch
Bon Voyage- unless you make your sims go on a honeymoon, or they're rich, so they travel alot, there's not much else to do with it.
Field Researcher
#685 Old 26th Jan 2014 at 9:45 AM Last edited by jaytee95 : 14th Feb 2014 at 8:34 AM. Reason: Getting AL!
Quote: Originally posted by femoral2
For me the BEST combination is Nightlife + Apartment Life, nothing more. I really like both of them. And one PRO of having AL is that you have the last engine of the game, that means that most of the mods from 2008 to the present(and most of the mods from 2005-2007 updated(or not)), works much better with AL than without it, and that most of the gameplay improvements from previous EP(marked as features) are included here to preserve compability.
Thanks; I've noticed recently that places still selling Sims 2 Expansion Packs are listing them at rock-bottom prices (I do check to make sure they're promising the full package, not a disc that's useless without the code), and I have been thinking about picking up Apartment Life over everything else while I still have the chance. I currently have Double Deluxe (includes Nightlife), so even if I don't get it at least I'll be able to say I had something above the base game.
Quote: Originally posted by ElenaCarin
Double Deluxe- I've always had cars in this game, so it'd be hard to imagine life without it
Not to mention the "walk to work/school" option or the downtown area.

Just want to add that a few hours ago I was finally able to buy a copy of Apartment Life, so I get to find out if it truly is my 'one other EP I can't live without.'
Test Subject
#686 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 11:16 PM
My favourite pack is
Apartment life - witches , apartements its perfect
nightlife - dating , a city , bars , clubs , karaoke , cars
Seasons - weather and cool clothes
Bon voyage - holiday!!!!!!!!
University- it is soo good

My favourite pack is nightlife
My least favourite pack is pets

Stuff packs
1 teen style
2. Ikea
3. H and M
4. Celebration
5. Kitchen and bath
Scholar
#687 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 2:55 PM
I put a bit of thinking into this before replying, because it's quite a tricky question.
There are things I like and things I don't like (or that should be improved) about most of the EPs, so it's not easy to choose either the best nor the worst one!

Even so, my faourite one is Apartment Life. It really adds another dimension to my game... without adding many bothering new features to it.
I know many people dislike it, but I wonder whether it's just pure disappointment. Because, yes, I think it could have been done better. But it's already quite cool as it is.

My least favourite?
I would say Open for Bussiness because bussiness themselves were the least intersting feature for me in all the EPs.
But I must admit this is because now I have a shorter university mod -before that mod, I directly UNINSTALLED University, so it's a fair guess saying that my "unmodded" least favourite is clearly University.
Lab Assistant
#688 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 2:39 PM
Until 3 days ago I wasn't sure what I could live without (apart from CC) as I have all the Eps and Sps. Then I prepared for reinstall on a new drive and found I have lost Kitchen and Bathrooms. I also discovered that from all the Eaxis items these are the most used in my game. So my answer is, can't live without K&B and I am as surprised as everyone else.
Test Subject
#689 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 2:52 PM
My favorite EP is either Seasons or Freetime, my least favorite is Pets. My favorite SP is Ikea home stuff and my least favorite is probably Mansion and Garden. It slows down my game and I don't really use much from it.
Test Subject
#690 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 10:38 PM
Of the ones I currently have the order is this
EP:
#1 Seasons
#2 Nightlife
#3 Open for Business
#4 Pets
#5 University

SP:
#1 Mansion and Garden
#2 IKEA home stuff
#3 Celebration stuff
#4 Kitchen and bath
#5 H and M Fashion stuff
#6 Teen Style Stuff
#7 Family Fun Stuff

If I was uninstalling one I would uninstall University Life.

I am expecting 3 new games (Bon Voyage, Apartment Life, and Freetime) in the mail so my list will have to change at some point after I play them a little bit.
Test Subject
#691 Old 20th Feb 2014 at 8:20 AM
I don't have all the EPs. I only own University, Nightlife, Seasons, and Pets.

The one that made the biggest impact on how I played the game was Seasons. No matter what, I think that the weather creates an amazing atmosphere which really adds to the game. My least favourite out of the EP's I own would probably be Pets. It's not as exciting as the rest of the ones I own... not saying I dislike it or anything though I love having my little critters and companions.

If I could I would buy Open for Business.
Mad Poster
#692 Old 21st Feb 2014 at 10:07 PM
Hi, I am a very enhusiastic player but cannot really make anything I seldom use cheats (actually,, I only use aging off/on and motherlode) and I have about 3 mods left in my game, because I don't like it to be too easy. However, I LOVE University! I have sent almost every teen in the neighbourhood to University, including the newspaper boys and girls, a bunch from BV etc. I like to have 3 dorms with 6 students each and not only do they keep you really, really on your toes, it's actually fun. My game crashed recently when I had 201 families - I just started over. I love Seasons and Free time, dont' like AL - those flats are way too tiny and the room-mate thing just irritates me. Don't like pets either! Had a lot of fun with Open for Business too, and I kind of like the families that come with that pack. I start a new neighbourhood with Uni, sending my sims there first. I have all the expansion packs but TSS, I think - just because I never found it in a shop.
Mad Poster
#693 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 9:45 AM
I do like the classes townies in AL, though, especially the techies!
Mad Poster
#694 Old 14th Mar 2014 at 2:16 PM
NL. If it was not for the cars, I would not have it. I dislike everything in it. I never create Downtowns (anymore) Vampires doesn't interest me IN this game, Crumplesmurf is just an annoyance, and there is probably more I dislike about NL, but I try to forget about it.

I have too many favorite ones, would be hard to tell which one really is.
OFB, Seasons, Pets, AL...yeah. those.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#695 Old 14th Mar 2014 at 3:44 PM
I like all of them, all EP's and all SP's for each one brings something different to the game.

Sims 2 best game ever.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#696 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 4:10 AM
My favorite EP has to be without a doubt Seasons followed by Nightlife.Love love the changing of the seasons, snowmen and snow angels. I absolutely positively wished I would have never installed Freetime. Even with the mods I still get annoying hobby phone calls. Open for Business is useless for me I never do anything with the businesses. Without mods Pets is annoying as well... mainly the bad pet behaviors (digging, destroying furniture, the constant barking outside the house). I tend to like all the stuffs packs.
Field Researcher
#697 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 2:45 AM
Here are my favorite expansions packs.

#1 Nightlife: This is how the sims 3 late night should have been done. This expansion adds a plethora of new content. First of all it adds a whole new downtown section with plenty of bars, restaurants, and other lots to visits. There are also plenty of new objects (most of which can be used together, or by children) such as photobooths, bowling alleys, poker table, karaoke machine and djbooths. A few new interactions are added (smustle dance, romancing in cars, table interactions), as well as two objects that can turn a community lot into a fully functioning restaurant with chefs and waiters. A new chemistry system is added allowing sims to be more attracted to other sims based on their turn-ons and turn-offs, personalities, and more. Finally, Nightlife adds a fun dating/outing system, allowing your sims to get gifts based on how good their date is, and a grouping system allowing sims to easily group up and travel to community lots together. Special creature: Vampires.

#2 Seasons Adds four changing seasons which are lovely to look at and add a sense of progression to the sims world. Also adds a bunch of seasonal activities/new interactions sims can do with each other (waterballoon/snowball fights, building snowmen, marco polo, skating, catch.) Adds temperature to the world (with animations and consequences for sims that are too hot or cold) and a new outwear clothes section. Finally, the Seasons adds fishing which can be used to create new meals that fill up a sim's hunger bar quickly, and gardening which can be used to increase the hunger rate of meals, or used to create a variety of fruit drinks which help the sims in a variety of ways (cure/ help with colds, temporary increase in homework speed, energy boost, etc). Special creature: Plantsim

#3 Freetime While this expansion doesn't add as much new gameplay as some of the others, it has bunch of new interactions and and objects that are fun for the whole family. The main focus of Freetime is adding new hobbies that sims can partake in, and new interactions for each hobby (talking about hobbies, instructing in hobbies, collecting bugs, etc). A few of the more fun objects include: Don't wake the llama (4 sims can play), Violin (kids can use it as well), soccer and basketball (2 sims can play together), activity table (4 sims, kids or toddlers). Finally, the sims freetime adds a new lifetime aspiration bar, and new special benefits your sim can unlock for raising his lifetime aspiration bar higher (Based on his aspiration) including the ability to add a secondary aspiration to your sim.

#4 Apartment Life Living in apartments is really fun and different than regular homes because you are always surrounded by sims, and you don't know how they are going to interact with each other or with you. Apartment life also adds a a bunch of new objects and interactions such as swinging kids around, special greeting/gestures, (hi-five, kiss kiss darling, tough handshake, etc), new romantic interactions (dance kiss, suck face, etc), playground equipment for kids, standing microphone (sing, perform comedy or poems), mirror cabinet (brush teeth, wash face). Finally apartment adds a reputation system for sims, and witches (who have the ability to cast spells).

#5 Bon Voyage Three vacation destinations to explore with their own community lots and "local people." New interactions for sims (building sandcastles on beaches, sunbathing) some of which are learned during vacation and then brought back home and shared with family and friends (hula, Slap dance, Tai-chi, sea shanty, etc). New objects (log rolling, axe throwing, tea table, fire pit, etc).

#6 Open for business Would be a lot higher (above apartment life) if I had more sims run businesses as they are really fun. This adds the ability to run your own business. Hire, fire, promote employees. Build toys, robots or arrange flowers. Run toy shops, furniture shops, bakeries, restaurants (requires nightlife) and more with the ability to set prices for items, use sales tactics to get people to buy your items and more. Unlock business perks the better you business does such as bonus money, ways to increase other sim's needs or mood, etc. New objects Elevators, lemonade stand, (some of which have to built) such as sprinkler toy, kite, various robots, etc. New interactions (business interactions), showing off (cartwheels, handstands, somersaults) for kids, etc. If you are into running a business, than this is fantastic.

#7 SIms university Allows the sim to go to university where they can study, do assignments, do term papers, and more to try to get enough academic achievement to complete their majors. Can get a little boring if you don't have mods to shorten the time sims are a university. However, includes fantastic objects/interactions such as pool tables, instruments (that can be played solo or played with other sims via the perform option [guitar, drums, bass, + can perform for piano), kicky bag, pillow fights, station to buy cell phones, handheld games, or mp3's, Barista bar (npc sells coffee there).

#8 Pets The only main addition to the game is pets. Pets can be fun to make, but there interactions are limited, and if eventually you will get bored with them if you are not a pet person. Sims can teach pets tricks, train them (clean vs dirty, sleep in pet bed vs on human bed, etc), and interact with them in other ways (playing, rubbing belly etc.)

Overall if you prefer to raise families in the sims then I would recommend Seasons and freetime the most as they add a lot of objects and interactions hat can be used by all ages. Seasons adds a lot of interactions between sims from kids to adults, and freetime adds a lot of new objects that sims can use together (some of which even toddlers can use), and a new interaction between older sims and toddlers [teach them a nursery rhyme].

If you want to make your town more enjoyable, fun, and alive with fun community lots, then I would recommend nightlife. The new downtown area is great, and if you don't like it you can always create your own. Furthermore, the new objects included allow you to make restaurants, bowling allies, lounges, bars, disco clubs, and more. Nightlife makes visiting community lots (whether alone, or with your family) so much more fun, as there is more variety. And a lot of the bass game objects work great for clubs (darts, myshuno).
Mad Poster
#698 Old 22nd Mar 2014 at 11:00 PM
At some point in the now-distant past, I decided I wanted to start building up my collection of EPs and SPs (original idea, right?) for TS2, and while I had no hesitation about buying all of the expansions, some of the stuff packs gave me pause... I've bought all except for Family Fun and Happy Holidays, and those two I'm still hesitant about, not least because they've grown more expensive. The fact that the price keeps climbing gives me incentive to buy them sooner rather than later though, assuming they're worth buying in the first place, so here's my question for you:

Should I buy Happy Holidays and Family Fun, or should I just continue my current course, and content myself with the vast array of options provided by the other Eps and SPs?
Mad Poster
#699 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 1:19 AM Last edited by gazania : 1st Jun 2014 at 8:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
At some point in the now-distant past, I decided I wanted to start building up my collection of EPs and SPs (original idea, right?) for TS2, and while I had no hesitation about buying all of the expansions, some of the stuff packs gave me pause... I've bought all except for Family Fun and Happy Holidays, and those two I'm still hesitant about, not least because they've grown more expensive. The fact that the price keeps climbing gives me incentive to buy them sooner rather than later though, assuming they're worth buying in the first place, so here's my question for you:

Should I buy Happy Holidays and Family Fun, or should I just continue my current course, and content myself with the vast array of options provided by the other Eps and SPs?

I found Family Fun to actually be one of the cheaper SPs when I sought to get them all. I think I got mine on Half.com used in very good condition for less than $6.00 US, and that was WITH shipping. You might have to pay a little more or less, but this also seems to be an easier SP to get.

I think I would echo many of the reviews on Amazon ... if you really like kid and baby stuff, this isn't a bad SP if you can get it for a lower price used. It's probably one of my least favorites, but I am glad I got it.

Happy Holidays can be more money, though you might do better if you DON'T buy it at Christmas. I paid about $13.00 US for that, including shipping, but silly me DID buy it at the wrong time. Now would be a far better time to get it. I'm seeing it for a few dollars cheaper on half.com and EBay. The SP is nice, and I do like some of the clothes, but I found it a little underwhelming. One interesting aspect is all the Sims running around in holiday gear ... in summer. I'm sure there's a mod for that. Somewhere. But I don't regret buying any EP or SP. I'm glad I did.They all have some good items. I'm just glad I didn't buy them for full price.

Mad Poster
#700 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 1:01 AM
Family fun and Happy Holiday are pretty straight forward. Would you find it fun to decorate your Sims homes in christmas items, and spawn santa and father time? If the answer is yes, then you'll like it. Family fun, as ganzania points out, is fun if you enjoy playing child and below. I love it, because the themed items make for great kids rooms. I was really doubtful about family fun, and only got it for completions sake, but I love it.

Only you can decide if it's worth it for you. If you don't care for christmas or kids, then you would not miss much.
Page 28 of 33